Author Topic: Cheaper Than Dirt  (Read 25415 times)

Offline outdoorman63

• Survivor
Re: Cheaper Than Dirt
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2010, 01:30:27 PM »
i havent used them in sometime, a couple bad shipping mistakes turned me off to them...

Offline nelson133

• Prepper
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2010, 07:29:16 AM »
I stopped buying from them several years ago when I figured out that they used their shipping & handling fees to make up for lower prices.  Midsouth, Graf & Sons, Natchez, Midway, and others all beat their prices when you figured in the total cost.  I don't know what they are like now, I haven't looked at their stuff in a long time. 
Graf and Midway, among others, give me a discount because I have a C&R license.  The license is a great deal 3 years for $30, I save more than that in just the discounts, and you can get C&R guns at wholesale prices and have them shipped direct to you.

Offline ProfessorHex

• Prepper
  • Get me outta here and onto a farm!
    • iWannaFarm.com
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2010, 11:32:59 AM »
Here in Kalifornia, I'm surprised they haven't made the catalog itself illegal yet.  I can't buy a bunch of their stuff, including any magazines over 10 rd. capacity.

I only started buying ammo a year ago, so I don't know from high prices.

One day, I had to change up my cart three times because my first and second choices for 9mm went out of stock before I could finish my shopping.  What a time to start shooting again!

Offline RightArmOfWyoming

• Survivor
    • Libertarian Punk blog
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2010, 12:48:17 PM »
www.cheaperthandirt.com

...  First off, during the ammo shortage, they JACKED up thier ammo prices, much higher than was realistic. ....

From a free-market libertarian perspective, I have no problem with that. Except that they should have temporarily changed their name until prices came down. AsMuchAsTheRest.com!

Offline Dr.Richard

• Prepper
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2010, 12:42:58 PM »
3 years ago, they were one of my preferred vendors and I was a member of their buyers club. I haven't ordered from them in several years as their prices are not competitive and their selection dropped in quality. I have given thousands of dollars of business since to Sportsmans Guide, Cabellas, and AIM Surplus since then. Most of my ammo buys are now through AIM.

Dr. Richard

Offline phargolf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2010, 07:33:07 PM »
3 years ago, they were one of my preferred vendors and I was a member of their buyers club. I haven't ordered from them in several years as their prices are not competitive and their selection dropped in quality. I have given thousands of dollars of business since to Sportsmans Guide, Cabellas, and AIM Surplus since then. Most of my ammo buys are now through AIM.

Dr. Richard
+1 from me. I use to buy a great deal from them but their prices just aren't that good anymore. I'm not crazy about Sportsmans Guide either but at least their military surplus merchandise is reasonably priced. Just an old geezers .02 ;D

Offline Mike Honcho

• Survivor
  • Est. 1974
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2010, 10:02:37 AM »
... I have given thousands of dollars of business since to Sportsmans Guide, Cabellas, and AIM Surplus since then. Most of my ammo buys are now through AIM.

Dr. Richard

+2 from me for the info on AIM and Sportsman Guide (the Molle shotgun scabbard I bought a few months back is close to $20 cheaper on SG - Dammit!)... I haven't been doing the preparedness thing very long and since my boss put me on to CTD I have been shopping online there and using a combination of Bass Pro Shops and Cabella's for store front purchasing as the few mom and pop gun shops here in PG county Maryland have extraordinarily high ammo prices (way higher than CTD)... I have to agree that the shipping from CTD is quite pricey, but even more so if your cart has items from both of their warehouses (Louisiana & Texas) which I learned the hard way... Thanks for the info, I'm really enjoying the knowledge I'm gaining from TSP (just hope I'm not posting too much for a newbie)... -MH

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Diligenter et Fideliter
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2010, 11:58:54 AM »

(just hope I'm not posting too much for a newbie)... -MH

Never! :)

Offline ironfourlife

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2010, 06:56:14 AM »
They've go greedy, plus they will not ship things to commieforna that
are still legal here (this week, I hate this state soon as I'm done with school
I'm gone)

Offline HillbillyHemi

• Survivor
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2010, 07:18:17 PM »
I too am a former CTD customer who will never order again.  The last order I placed was for several smaller items,(a magazine for my CZ-52 and a box of ammo) The shipping was more than the order. When I inquired they told me it was because the two items were in two separate warehouses so I was getting charged two minimal shipping charges. Excuse me did the guy who thought of "New Coke" start working there? Anyway that is when I found The Sportsmansguide and CTD lost my business.

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2011, 08:08:04 AM »
I've ordered from CTD before, I still consider them when I'm looking for stuff.   I've had a list of items "saved for later" and yesterday I decided to place an order.  The shipping was crazy, so I reduced the list to half, about 3 items.  Nothing big, heavy or bulky and it only came out to about $20 worth of items... shipping was $15.... ($35 total) never placed the order.  I still go back to Amazon and get free shipping.  I did place an order with SGAmmo and it shipped just before I hit the enter button on the order... well... maybe not THAT quick. ;)

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2011, 08:11:09 AM »
From a free-market libertarian perspective, I have no problem with that. Except that they should have temporarily changed their name until prices came down. AsMuchAsTheRest.com!

The other side of the free market is I don't have to buy from people who jack up their prices.

I agree on the right to do it, it isn't illegal, but distastful to me as a customer so I don't shop there anymore.

Offline WeldonHunter

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2011, 05:09:47 PM »
I know this thread goes back a few years but it mirrors my thoughts on CTD and the problems I've experienced since I began  using them earlier this year. I did a lot of research before buying from them and they seemed to have the best prices for what I was looking for. 

The first order was placed at about 3:30pm and I received it the next morning. They're in Texas, I'm in Louisiana.  The  shipping seemed reasonable price wise and was fast.  This order included 6 of their Grade I .50Cal ammo cans.  They looked as  advertised, in very good shape. This was an $1100 order.  The next order was a few weeks later and included was 14 more of  the same Grade I ammo cans.  This time they were not as advertised.  Out of 14, 4 were close to Grade I, 5 needed serious  cleaning, were badly sun faded and rusty. The remaining 5 were damaged (bent lids, sprung hinges, sunfaded, rusty and very  dirty) Grade III at best.   They offered to take them all back even though it states non-returnable. I was trying to meet  them half way so I told them let me clean them and see what I come up with.  I did so and 5 were unacceptable so they took  them back and exchanged them.  They told me they could make no guarantees about what I'd receive this time either.  The 5  replacements were close to Grade I so I let it go.  It took a week to straighten this out and many phone calls including one  to have them refund a $15 charge incured during the exchange process. They credited me $11.97ea for the cans that were  returned and tried to charge me $14.97 for the 5 replacements. This was a $1300 order.

Over the next few months a placed quite a few more orders to the tune of thousands more and mostly got good deals price wise.  Keep in mind this was mostly ammo and that has always been as advertised and after researching the best price at the time.   Then I saw they had 12 brand new .50 CAL USGI M1A2 ammo cans as a "contract overrun" so I thought I'd give them a try.  I  mean how can you go wrong with new right? I was tired of fooling with used ones. I'd ordered ammo with these and as I was  filling the boxes with ammo for storage I noticed they wouldn't stack without wobbling. Seems the recess stamped in the bottom to accept the handle for the can it's stacked on was not stamped out deep enough on 7 of them and most of them seemed  to have been welded a bit crooked so even the ones that were stamped deep enough had a slight bow to them and didn't stack  right either. The box they came in had also been opened at some time prior to me receiving it. I called them and told  them what I found. They told me these boxes are opened to inspect the contents before shipping. When I told them I believe  the reason they were able to get these "rare contract overruns" is that they're seconds. They offered to refund/exchange them or give me $35 off of these. At this point I was tired of repacking stuff and waiting for the FedEx truck so I took the  partial refund. They work fine over all but I can't stack most of them so they contain longterm storage ammo and are at the  bottom of the heap.  All of the military issued used/cans stack just fine so they're on top.

These incidents as well as receiving some sub-standard crap that was advertised as great stuff but turned out to be  reproductions "Made In China" made me decide that unless it was a great ammo deal that nobody else had I was done with  CheaperThanDirt. Up to this point I figure I've spent $5-$6k with them and loads of patients. This lead me to the last straw.   A user in another forum alerted us to a deal CheaperThanDirt had on Winchester M-22 at $77.10 for a case of 5000ds. Smokin' deal so I called them and they confirmed it was correct. That's less than half the cost of most 22lr ammo. I wasn't the only  one to call either. So I had confirmation from multiple sources mainly them it was right. I tried to order 4 cases, 20,000rds  and it was to much for the shipping calculator to handle and was told to call for a weight. I called and placed my order.  I  also made it a point to ask again about the amount and price and was assured it was correct. She even told me that price was  slightly over cost and these normally sell for $160 a case of 5000rds. This is newly released ammo from Winchester and is  designed to work really well in high capacity mags to eliminate feed problems. I had a feeling something was wrong with this  deal but took a chance and I was right. I received 4 2000rd cases instead of 4 5000rd cases and was charged shipping for  20,000rds at about 100lbs instead of the 41lbs. the deal actually weighed. I called them and they made no offer of compromise  and told me a received what I ordered even though it was a misprint on their website. I had a screenshot of the deal as a  backup so it was not disputable. They changed the deal on their website to read 2000rds instead of 5000rds. as I was talking  to them too. The only offer they made was to return everything at no charge to me so I'm in the process of waiting for my  bank account to be credited.  I will not be using them from now on even if they've made things right because I'm tired of making phone calls to straighten things out.

During this time I also used other ammo/gun related retailers for stuff CTD didn't carry , mostly Mil-Surp ammo and the ones that stand out are The Armory, LibertyTreeCollectors and most favoured is www.SGAmmo.com SGAmmo is by far the best of all, great product prices and great shipping prices. He moves stuff fast.  Sam Gabbert is the owner of SGAmmo and he's a good guy. I got to know him through my work at www.Gun-Deals.com and if you've never seen this site you need to try it out if you're considering buying ammo online. Even if you want to purchase it locally a lot of the vendors on there have stores open to the public if you don't want to buy online. Just find out which are close to you and check out what deals other users have put up.         

« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 07:21:38 PM by WeldonHunter »

inbox485

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2011, 03:32:35 PM »
In CA, they are widely known by Cheap Dirt Bags for the same reasons listed Here: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=15312.msg252289#msg252289

That is in addition to just generally being a lousy company as others have noted.

Offline jpbearit

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2012, 03:35:02 PM »
So the last post on this company is over a year old.  Has anyone dealt with them in that time? I need a few mags for my 10/22 and they have a good price. Do I still need to look elsewhere or have they gotten their act together?

inbox485

« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2012, 04:52:10 PM »
So the last post on this company is over a year old.  Has anyone dealt with them in that time? I need a few mags for my 10/22 and they have a good price. Do I still need to look elsewhere or have they gotten their act together?

I've yet to hear any reason to do business with them. Also, just in case, but aftermarket 10/22 mags are notoriously cheap in both meanings of the term. Just in case that is what you are looking at.

endurance

« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2012, 04:59:50 PM »
I'll still do an occasional order from them when their price really does beat anything else I've found and calculate in their above average shipping costs.  Most of the time I can find someone cheaper, but from time to time, they do have the best price.

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2012, 05:55:21 PM »
Really depends on what you're buying.
I get most stuff that I used to buy from CTD from a local store that also has an online store.
www.armybarracks.com

The gear is about the same price, or cheaper, but hands on, no shipping.
I guess they're a chain store now.
They really cut into my reason for using CTD

Offline Griz

• Prepper
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2012, 06:51:35 PM »
I stopped buying from them when they started the "count down" till 12-21-2012.  Also big price difference from new catalog and went to order same day catalog arrived and there was a huge difference.

Offline jpbearit

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2012, 08:15:19 PM »
I found the mags I was looking for from Midway USA. Same price. I'm hoping they will treat will. I'll let you know.

Offline JC2

• Senior Survivalist
    • Harvesting Grace Farm
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2012, 11:57:12 PM »
I ordered a variety of items from them in the beginning of August and received my order within a few days. Definetly quick delivery. Keep in mind, i am overseeas and have not seen the items but i can say everything was received and there was nothing damaged according to my wife.

Offline GSL68028

• Prepper
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2012, 12:20:08 AM »
I ordered some ammo and cans and all showed up within a week and all was fine. I will still be very careful about placing any large orders - per the forum.