Author Topic: Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo TV [merged topics]  (Read 289344 times)

Offline cdunlop

• Survivor
Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo TV [merged topics]
« on: June 27, 2011, 08:56:48 PM »
Nat geo channel, let's see how they spin everything.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
Re: Doomsday Prepper TV show (merged topics)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 09:13:02 PM »
Wasnt too bad.

Offline average_joe

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 09:41:10 PM »
I DVR'd it and I'll check it out tomorrow.

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 10:21:58 PM »
Definitely slanted, but not too bad.

endurance

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 08:54:30 AM »
Did anyone else catch the National Geographic show "Doomsday Preppers" last night (6/27/11)? 

For once, rather than having a documentary on how the world is going to end, but giving no advice or making preppers look like a bunch of right-wing wingnuts, they just explored four relatively normal families across the country (two in Phoenix, one in Columbia, NC, one in SLC) who lived the prepper lifestyle.  They they had expert recommendations for each family on how to prep better. 

Probably the most fascinating for me was the Phoenix family who converted their backyard swimming pool into a giant solar powered aquaculture system.  Holy crap, they have tilapia coming out their ears that are eating primarily duck weed which is fertilized by chicken poop.  Great system.  Very impressive.  The only weakness I think they failed to point out is the family's primary concern is CME and grid failure, but they are reliant on photovoltaics to run the aquaponics pump.  I'm not sure, but I thought CME radiation could damage solar arrays. 

Anyway, might be a good show to set the DVR up for and hope for a re-run or maybe you can watch it on line.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 09:53:10 AM »
I guess I'm a bit jaded, but. . .

It was an interesting show.  For us, being preppers, we were rather interested in the scope of the showcased people's preps.  Both my wife and I wondered, several times, about the veracity of some of the people that were interviewed. 

I didn't catch who the "expert" was that was evaluating each family/group's preps.  That might have been interesting to know.

But we both got a chuckle out of several parts such as the group with the ex-Iraq War veteran who they claimed had "extensive combat training" and who they showed shooting at two targets while training the rest of the group.  Despite comments made earlier in the program that the group had mandated frequent training with firearms, I only saw, maybe, two people who exhibited any experience shooting.  In fact, IIRC, one of the men said that he had never fired an AR15 before that day.  I also think NatGeo cherry-picked some comments and statements, as would be expected.  After all, they're selling advertising time during that show.  A bunch of people farming would not draw as many viewers as the time they showed them shooting their weapons (poorly, I might add, for a group that openly voiced their plans and extensive preparations to defend themselves against looters, etc.).

Even the guy in Utah who allegedly walked the "last couple of miles" to his underground shelter toting his BOB and openly carrying his rifle was suspect to us.

Realize that the people they chose to include in the final show asked to be on this program.  In fact, I remember seeing the casting call for this particular program a while back.  They weren't found and asked to be on this show. Each and every one of them had to respond to a posting and convince the producers that THEY were the ones that should be interviewed and filmed.  Therefore, it's obvious that they wanted to show off what they had, on some level.

Both of us were very impressed at the levels of some of their preps.  Hopefully, it showed others what is possible with some effort and planning.

Honestly, I'm just glad they didn't have some guy with wild hair jammed up in a Caterpillar cap, a rabbit bone sticking out of his beard dressed in a dirty t-shirt and coveralls pointing to the woman next to him and saying "This is my wife and my sister. . ."

The Professor

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 09:57:40 AM »
What was the name of the show so we can look it up?

Cedar

Offline average_joe

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
What was the name of the show so we can look it up?

Cedar

Doomsday Preppers..... Still haven't had a chance to see it. Saved on the DVR.... I follow 2 of the guys on u tube.

Offline MuddyFork

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 10:23:57 AM »
Here it is on youtube. It's in 4 parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMPepJpadbo

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 10:27:11 AM »
I will have to look for other sources, I went clear to July 11th and it is not on the listings.

Cedar

Offline Saint

• Senior Survivalist
  • Bury it and bury the shovel.
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 10:29:08 AM »
Embarrassed to say I fell asleep after the first family (does that say more about me or the show?)
I, too, was very impressed by the tilapia - but distracted by the constant reference to the solar eruption in 2012.
I also liked/appreciated the "expert's" advice on bringing their neighbors/community more into the picture.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...

annestacey

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 10:56:34 AM »
I'm surprised that I missed this.  I"m always checking the listings for interesting stuff and normally would have latched on to that one right away.   But also went to bed early.  Thanks for the link.  I'm gonna check it out.

Offline Xixor5

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 12:07:57 PM »
I'm trying to get my girlfriend onboard with prepping.  Would showing her this help or does it still make preppers look a little off their rockers? :(

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 12:09:44 PM »
I'm trying to get my girlfriend onboard with prepping.  Would showing her this help or does it still make preppers look a little off their rockers? :(

I think it puts them mostly in a good light. But it depends on her.. if your gf thinks that we are all whacked.. it might not help, but for the most part, they were all 'normal' families.

Cedar

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 01:54:03 PM »
I dunno... I think they are pretty extreme (which doesn't mean I'm not impressed-- each example they showed had done some very cool things)... plus each seems to be waiting for their own version of the apocalypse. I'm thinking it might not help in convincing others, since they are pretty radical relative to many preppers. I mean... this is a far cry from getting folks to store up enough food to make it for 2 weeks, which is where many TSP newbs start.

While I enjoyed it a great deal and found many things they do very intriguing, I didn't need convincing on the need to prepare.

endurance

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 02:02:42 PM »
I dunno... I think they are pretty extreme (which doesn't mean I'm not impressed-- each example they showed had done some very cool things)... plus each seems to be waiting for their own version of the apocalypse. I'm thinking it might not help in convincing others, since they are pretty radical relative to many preppers. I mean... this is a far cry from getting folks to store up enough food to make it for 2 weeks, which is where many TSP newbs start.

While I enjoyed it a great deal and found many things they do very intriguing, I didn't need convincing on the need to prepare.
Agreed.  While they each seemed sane from my perspective, when they show rooms filled with thousands of pounds of food, it's pretty intimidating for a newbie.  Might want to start her out with something talking gently about the risks, like Chris Martenson, Peter Schiff (Crash Proof I and II), and/or Jared Diamond (Collapse), and start the conversation about 'what would you do?' after that.  Easier to feed her a little salt and let her seek out the water than to make her drink.  Once the conversation gets going, then you can talk about what realistic steps you can take. 

Offline Outdoorfury

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Si vis pacem para bellum
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 02:24:34 PM »
a buddy of mine called last night and told me to watch it... i do not have cable though... i was couponing anyway... i will try to catch it on youtube.
thanks Ceder!

Offline Xixor5

• Prepper
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 03:15:19 PM »
Cool.  I'll try and get her to watch it.  She's already on board with the food storage we've started.

Offline Bubafat

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 05:08:25 PM »
While I don't think they necessarily purposely portray these people as extremists, they definitely do seem a little out there. 

Offline Xixor5

• Prepper
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 06:53:25 PM »
Just watched it with the GF.  I guess she took it pretty well.  I started talking about some of my plans and she gave me her standard "mmmhmmm okay... sure" response.  All that was missing was the pat on the head and fake smile :) lol.  Looks like I'm still on my own  :'(

Offline average_joe

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 08:11:35 PM »
Scott and David are on youtube their channels are engineer775 and southernprepper. The 2nd family from Arizona I think the woman runs the blog survivalmom. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that is her. She was the one talking about opsec and then had a semi deliver skids of dehydrated food to her home. :o

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 08:40:49 PM »
Some real good ideas on folks being prepared.  The assessment phase I think is very week, no real back ground on big pictures on the why and what fourths.

I do like the Honey-ville walk thru part.  Wish one of those was within 250 miles from me.   -- Can you say road trip?

Offline smuglydawg

• Survivor
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2011, 02:00:25 AM »
Have ot on the DVR and watching some now

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2011, 07:26:28 AM »
I was able to watch the show this morning, and for the most part it was a lot better than I had anticipated.

They didn't show the preppers in a negative light. With the exception of the family that was concerned about a CME with no explanation for their beliefs the preppers appeared to have sound reasoning that most any non-prepper could find logical.

I would like to have seen some information on the experts and would like for them to have had a little more input though the little advice they gave was good.

Offline Scooter123456789

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Doomsday Preppers
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2011, 09:21:54 AM »
A coworker at work was talking about this show.  He didn't understand why we prep.  Some people just don't get it. Have looked for episodes but  nothing out yet. If you have any more info on this show please share..

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2011, 10:01:08 AM »
The show was good overall.  Some of the preppers had very narrow objectives though.  The most extreme was the nuclear shelter.  While that might be the "ultimate", that's really only ideal for a nuclear assault.  Personally I'd rather defend a rural property, breathe fresh air and eat well than live in a tube eating ramen noodles for months.

Offline Scooter123456789

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2011, 10:50:37 AM »
Watched all 4 on youtube. I think the one guy has taken the book of Patriots and copied it. Which is my thoughts.  Overall we have learned alot from all these families.  I am just curious who these professionals are that are evaluating them. What are there credentials to say what they are doing wrong..Overall, looking for the next episodes.  If they have anymore..
 :)

endurance

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2011, 11:40:34 AM »
The show was good overall.  Some of the preppers had very narrow objectives though.  The most extreme was the nuclear shelter.  While that might be the "ultimate", that's really only ideal for a nuclear assault.  Personally I'd rather defend a rural property, breathe fresh air and eat well than live in a tube eating ramen noodles for months.
Yep, not to mention that property looked pretty high in elevation and not like there was a lot of water around (which is why he was storing 6,000 gallons).  Kinda hard to grow food there after you come out of your shelter, I'd think. 

I'm torn on changes to the show.  There's too many shows that spend time talking about the threats and not enough about the solutions.  While it did seem like the focus of many folks was narrow, that may just be how it was portrayed in the show.  It was obvious the first family from Phoenix was ready for far more than just CME.  They'd do well in an economic collapse and had contingencies in place for a nuclear reactor problem, too.

While I'm sure the mainstream viewer is happy to just point and laugh at us when watching the show, I feel good having a show like that on the air.  It's not only an opportunity to learn about other people's preps, strengths and weakesses, it's somehow reassuring to know it's mainstream enough that they could actually make a show about it.  The more folks who prep, the less sheep will come knocking and the more alliances we can establish.

Offline Doug

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2011, 12:30:14 PM »
I think it puts them mostly in a good light. But it depends on her.. if your gf thinks that we are all whacked.. it might not help, but for the most part, they were all 'normal' families.

Cedar

If you want to get her on board then show her the following.

Dr Jeremy Leggett interview (Catalyst - Oil Crunch, ABC TV)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPKLKWIh3gA&feature=related

Chris Skrebowski interview (Catalyst - Oil Crunch, ABC TV), editor Petroleum Review journal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAdnuGUYXp8&feature=related

Fatih Birol (IEA) interview (Catalyst - Oil Crunch, ABC TV)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKkISqOCnVA&feature=related

United States Joint Forces Command:
U.S. JOINT OPERATING ENVIRONMENT REPORT 2010
Full report http://www.fas.org/man/eprint/joe2010.pdf
“A severe energy crunch is inevitable without a massive expansion of production and refining capacity. While it is difficult to predict precisely what economic, political, and strategic effects such a shortfall might produce, it surely would reduce the prospects for growth in both the developing and developed worlds. Such an economic slowdown would exacerbate other unresolved tensions, push fragile and failing states further down the path toward collapse, and perhaps have serious economic impact on both China and India. At best, it would lead to periods of harsh economic adjustment. To what extent conservation measures, investments in alternative energy production, and efforts to expand petroleum production from tar sands and shale would mitigate such a period of adjustment is difficult to predict. One should not forget that the Great Depression spawned a number of totalitarian regimes that sought economic prosperity for their nations by ruthless conquest...By 2012, surplus oil production capacity could entirely disappear, and as early as 2015, the shortfall in output could reach nearly 10 million barrels per day...The implications for future conflict are ominous, if energy supplies cannot keep up with demand and should states see the need to militarily secure dwindling energy resources.”

Charles Maxwell: Natural Gas: Abundance or Mirage
http://aspo.tv/2010-peak-oil-conference/charles-maxwell-natural-gas-abundance-or-mirage/

Five leading petroleum industry experts discuss the major production challenges posed by oil depletion. While new fields are being discovered, the steady pace of depletion, a growing world population, and diminished investment in new exploration and production point to a constrained world oil supply in the next few years. This video features Sadad al-Husseini, Jeremy Gilbert, Jeremy Leggett, Chris Skrebowski, and Jim Buckee:

Acknowledging Peak Oil, featuring Sadad al-Husseini
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZp-OxZuflE&feature=related

Peak Oil Reality: Discovery & Production Won't Meet Future Demand, featuring Sadad al-Husseini
OilEducationTV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d3kK4kgz5g&feature=related

Evaluating World Reserves: How Much Is Left?, featuring Sadad al-Husseini
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Riyv56pixOk

The Crash Course
http://www.chrismartenson.com/crashcourse

http://www.chrismartenson.com/page/crash-course-one-year-anniversary
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 12:38:00 PM by Doug »