Author Topic: Utopia "Big Brother-reality" on Fox  (Read 7428 times)

Offline Fjorgynn

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Swedish Prepper
Utopia "Big Brother-reality" on Fox
« on: August 17, 2014, 10:49:51 AM »
I came across Fox's new reality show Utopia.

Behold UTOPIA, a bold new series based on the hit Dutch program. Watch what happens as 15 pioneering Americans wave goodbye to the lives they’ve known, move to a remote location, and set out to create a society from scratch. They’ve got limited supplies, wildly diverse backgrounds, and zero bathrooms.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3fu7j02Mks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25dsIPC1SgI

http://www.utopiatv.com/
https://www.facebook.com/UtopiaTVUSA (Facebook)
http://utopiatvcasting.com/ (Audition)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 11:07:39 AM by Fjorgynn »

Offline John Doe

• Survivor
  • Central Virginian Prepper
    • My personal prepper blog
Re: Utopia "Big Brother-reality" on Fox
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 08:31:19 PM »
looks interesting. I'll admit it, some reality tv is fun to unwind to.
When does it premier?

Offline Fjorgynn

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Swedish Prepper
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 09:24:22 AM »
Yesterday

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 10:10:28 AM »
15 people on 3 acres. And then they double the population to 30? Sounds like overpopulation. Water might really be bad to get. Santa Clarita is generally a little colder than most of Southern California, but mild enough to plant year round.

It is said to be filmed in Santa Clarita, California.
Elevation: 1,200 feet
Average climate in Santa Clarita, California

Cedar

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 10:28:02 AM »
It might be interesting, were they at all interested in creating something and working problems out.

But we know where this is going.  It'll end up being a Jersey Shore/Doomsday Prepper/Survivor blend that focuses more on personal drama and making people look like idiots than anything constructive.

Meh.  Yet another example of the direction our quickly bankrupting culture is taking.

The Professor

nelson96

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 11:31:13 PM »
I watched the premiere tonight. . . .  The producers obviously went out of their way to find a group of people that were not only different from one another, in every way, but extreme in their own right.  I'm not so sure the entire thing is not staged in every way.  But, it was entertaining to say the least.

If the utopians are not actors, one thing is staged for sure, he property.  It is smack dab in the middle of the desert and ONLY that little farm is green.  I'm betting that farm will stay green for the entire series and the only way that's going to happen is if it is staged.

Offline Denver Terry

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 08:43:21 AM »

But we know where this is going.  It'll end up being a Jersey Shore/Doomsday Prepper/Survivor blend that focuses more on personal drama and making people look like idiots than anything constructive.

The Professor

I broke down and watched. I think you hit the nail square on the head.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 08:56:44 AM »
I broke down and watched. I think you hit the nail square on the head.

+1.  It was awful.  I won't be watching again.

Offline RSWarne

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 09:56:36 AM »
I was naively excited when I learned about Utopia's basic premise some months ago.  There is so much potential in the idea and I had hoped, given the espoused world view of the entertainment industry, that we might get an honest look at a modern attempt to build a cooperative and sustainable community.  I suspected that in the end the effort would fail due to relationship and accountability issues as have the vast majority of such communities in history. (The U.S. and Europe have surprising and colorful histories with communal, back-to-nature, living.)  Once I saw two of the previews, none of which showed a single sympathetic character, I knew that it would be a disappointment.

The potential for an entertaining and instructive show exists.  I am curious what the TSP community would want to view if in an "ideal" reality show based upon resiliency, self-reliance, and self-determination.

My initial thoughts (basically topics discussed in the TSP community):
Individual skill development
Communal infrastructure
Community supported "barn raising"
Concepts of private and community property
Self-sufficiency
Supplemental income streams

endurance

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 10:31:06 AM »
I recorded it... or most of it, as I was having DVR problems last night.  The glimpse I did see looked awful.  Obviously they selected for people who would not get along and didn't have the skills needed to make it work.  Conflict and drama sells.

Three acres under ideal conditions would never support three people completely self-sufficient, no less 15+.  They set it up to fail.  Sure, you could potentially have enough food production for six to eight, but you also need a wood lot for fuel for cooking and heating, etc., so with those needs in mind, 15 acres would have been pushing it for 15 people.

I'll probably skim the one episode I recorded and evaluate whether it's worth the space on my DVR to skim more for the few moments worth watching or not.

nelson96

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 10:54:52 AM »
@ endurance
They only entertainment you're going to find, unless future episodes are different, is what The Professor described.....  A Jersey Shore type of show.  I think anyway, I've never seen a Jersey Shore episode.

Offline Fjorgynn

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Swedish Prepper
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 11:00:29 AM »
I've watched the first episode now. OMG what a bunch of strong characters but it's not a paradise and yeah..

endurance

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 11:18:57 AM »
@ endurance
They only entertainment you're going to find, unless future episodes are different, is what The Professor described.....  A Jersey Shore type of show.  I think anyway, I've never seen a Jersey Shore episode.

I'll have to look for myself, since sometimes I like mindless TV.  While I've never seen the Jersey Shore, I admit to enjoying Discovery's Naked and Afraid series.  It's probably the realest we will see besides Survivorman, and given that he had to spend an inordinate amount of time doing his own filming, in some ways it's better.  ...and yes, a lot of episodes are way too much conflict and drama for me, but the good couples are really quite interesting to watch... for me... in shame... :-[

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 12:41:55 PM »
@ endurance

Dammit.

My secret has been exposed.

The Professor

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 08:42:44 AM »
I watched the first night, and that will probably be the last viewing for me.

I think that I could stand being around perhaps one or two of those people for a couple days at most, but everyone on the show comes off like some kind of a train wreck waiting to happen.

endurance

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 11:07:25 AM »
I watched the first night, and that will probably be the last viewing for me.

I think that I could stand being around perhaps one or two of those people for a couple days at most, but everyone on the show comes off like some kind of a train wreck waiting to happen.
Let's face it, nobody who wants to be on TV is a low key, laid back individual.  They usually have big egos, having something to prove, and have points they need to make in order to put themselves in the best light.  I think you'd probably have a better chance of finding better partners picking the first 25 people walking down the street and asking them to join you.

Offline fred.greek

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 07:03:10 PM »
Utopia, watched premiere part 1 online at:

http://sharetv.com/watch/828687

And premiere part two:

http://sharetv.com/watch/829583

Early on, the episode was good for multiple laughs at the demonstrated… stupidity… as the hillbilly said in his monologue, you  can't fix stupid…

It was down hill from there.

They need a filter for Flouride in the water?
The electricity is free?

Opinion:  It's not even a "social experiment"..   It appears to just be a gathering of deliberately selected personality conflicts. 

$5,000 supposedly as a year long spending limit for 15 people?

I found the "tour" video shows nothing new…
http://www.utopiatv.com/news/detail/207/greetings-from-utopia

Supposedly you can sign up to watch "live" video, i.e.:
http://www.utopiatv.com/live/overview/clip/2014-09-10

Provided the climate / soil will handle it, they need to get into the ground yams, & sweet potatoes for high calorie crops w/edible leaves & vines.  Bags of sweet potatoes would provide immediate food, and those that sprouted would be potential crop.

Yes, I'm retired and have WAY too much spare time on my hands...

Offline Bolomark

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 08:26:59 PM »
i watched for about 10 minutes when the one person wanted to build a chicken tractor and the two guys didn't want to do anything.
its doomed to get canceled. :crazy: