Author Topic: Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo TV [merged topics]  (Read 282263 times)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Doomsday Prepper TV show (merged topics)
« Reply #120 on: August 31, 2011, 12:01:41 PM »
The more I am reading the stuff in this thread I am glad I was not on the ABC channel for some production they wanted to do years ago for "Wife Swap" or something like that. They wanted me to go to the city and the city person to my farm. I was fearing for my poor milk goat with the city person more anything else LOL. They couldn't use me as they did not realize I was not in the USA at the time until a couple contacts with each other. I think I will just prefer to stay anonymous.

Cedar - who is curious and should look up that old email

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #121 on: August 31, 2011, 01:06:47 PM »
Another thing about these pre-scripted designs that these reality TV producers are hell-bent upon can be seen in some very sneaky shenanigans of actual news reporters. About 25 years ago, when the economy was totally in the tank, there were a lot of families who had lost there homes (kinda like now but it was a tad different back then --it's never the same every time we have yet another economic downturn). So the members of the press corps began going to inner city homeless shelters to get these compelling human interest stories about decent, every day families who had lost their homes and were now forced to live in public homeless shelters while out looking for work.

As Lisa said, just a few posts ago: "Clearly, they do NOT want typical families in these shows unless they can edit them to make them look obsessive and unhinged." Well, Lisa, sometimes the exact opposite can be true also.

When the press back in the 1980's went to these homeless shelters, what they were REALLY looking for was "normal" families.  They didn't want single moms, or troubled teens, or mental illness, or people with substance abuse problems. They wanted to find wholesome-looking nuclear families with a strong father figure and beautiful children --and blonde hair would've been nice also. Those news reporters would spend weeks going to multiple shelters and search in earnest for a "normal" family to interview. They did eventually find such families, but they did so at the exclusion of literally thousands of other residents in those shelters. 

What they ultimately wanted to do was put a "face" on the plight of the new American homelessness for their evening viewers to behold and relate to. And yet the "face" the journalists desired wasn't a typical one, it was in fact the one-in-ten-thousand face --the rare exception to the more standard face of mental illness, domestic violence, and substance abuse.  But no one wants to turn on the news to see a crack-head or a mentally ill person.  The last thing the press wanted was folks who were "unhinged," because the viewers didn't want to see "unhinged." The viewers wanted to see that wholesome all-American face. And the news gave them what they wanted, even if that face was exasperatingly rare and hard to find.

The various social workers who ran those shelters all across this nation all during the late 1980's and into the 1990's commented later about their frustration over the disingenuous antics of the America press every time a news crew rolled up in front of their shelters. Those social workers did NOT mind that the resulting news piece usually led to a cascade of donations briefly filtering their way. But due to general principles, they detested the frequency and consistency of that exact misrepresentation getting repeated over and over again with such blatant premeditation.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 01:15:50 PM by Oil Lady »

Offline Doug

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #122 on: August 31, 2011, 01:14:30 PM »
excellent. very informational Oil Lady.
 Talk radio is another one. You have a supposed guest caller -- whose been waiting online for who knows how long -- wanting to make a point that could be very informative to the listens....maybe even paradigm shifting,,,but the host will control the flow of the discussion by interrupting and talking over the caller, to strategically cutting the caller's mic so the host can push his talking points and frame the show's program to his/her script. Finally, the host hangs up on the caller with a "Thank you for calling" and the guest never got to make his/her point.

But if they get a crank caller the host can belittle that caller will be kept on and given every opportunity to make a fool of himself and the host look good.

With talk radio it isn't difficult to hear the manipulation. I was watching Bill O'Reilly  the other night and Bernie Goldberg was complaining to Bill about hosts constantly interrupting the guests in an effort to push the script. He said listeners were sick of it.

Take Hannity, for example, listen to the tone of Hannity's radio program compared to his TV show. On the radio he talks twice as fast and it's very evident he doesn't let callers vary from the show's talking points. I can only take so much of that.

I sure wish the producers of this Livi'n for the Apocalypse show are lurking.  I'd bet they even hate Shawn and other talk radio personalities, too. And if that's true I got news for them... these Apocalypse producers are no different than the Hannities since they are manipulating their own interview and editing agenda to make the preppers look like cranks.

Like I said, why don't they interview a Chris Martenson, a Dr Robert Hirsch, a Chris Skrebowski, or even a Dr James Schlesinger about how oil depletion is going to screw up not only their world-view paradigm but  especially their kids' future?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 01:24:09 PM by Doug »

endurance

« Reply #123 on: August 31, 2011, 01:32:40 PM »
The more I am reading the stuff in this thread I am glad I was not on the ABC channel for some production they wanted to do years ago for "Wife Swap" or something like that. They wanted me to go to the city and the city person to my farm.
I think I actually saw the episode they were offering to you, as I saw one with a guy living a very modest life in a cabin with no electricity and some brassy, entitled NJ broad.  What a nightmare.  She ended up bringing in a generator, lights, the whole 9 yards... a complete and total disruption to the family.  On the otherhand, the kids of the NJ family eventually fell in love with the time they got to spend with their parents playing games and making crafts.  Probably one of the only episodes I watched, but it was an eye opener.

@ Doug:  I had Fire Information Officer training when I was with the Forest Service and the key was to have two or three key points that you were going to get across, regardless of what questions the reporter asked you.  Really an important tool when you're dealing with live TV or radio.  I remember one interview where we were told by our management to quell the importance of using C-130s as a firefighting tool because they may not be available.  I told that to the reporter during the prep and sure enough, that's all they questioned me on.  So I kept going back to the maneuverability of the older WWII era bombers that we were already using. 

If you don't have talking points, don't speak to the media.  Obviously with a TV show with hours of film to edit, you don't have that kind of control, but definitely something to remember on talk radio and live news reports.  Just once I'd love to hear some guy that survived in his car for four days during a severe winter storm explain the importance of having a car kit, keeping a sleeping bag in the car, and not relying on the luck of having a bag of dog food in the trunk. ::)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #124 on: September 01, 2011, 08:21:09 AM »
keeping a sleeping bag in the car, and not relying on the luck of having a bag of dog food in the trunk. ::)

*LOL* That reminds me when I used to work with "Doctor P." at the vet clinic many years ago when I did SAR as well, we had huge flooding that year and a huge windstorm which was said to be 90mph here in the valley. When we were teasing about food and stuff, I put my dibs in for the Hill's i/d dog food and said it was all mine.. they could have the 20 other food types. i/d is for digestion issues and is mostly made from rice.. the only one I thought I could choke down  ;)

Cedar

Offline hd45hunt

• Senior Survivalist
Anyone seen "Doomsday Prepper" by National Geographic?
« Reply #125 on: October 14, 2011, 06:31:31 PM »
I found this today while going thru facebook.  Not sure if or when it aired, but found it interesting.  At first I found myself cringing waiting for the usual hand selected "kooks" to be used to boost ratings.  I was happily disappointed.  4 different families/parties are analyzed by their "experts" and given a report card.  I did find their "grading" rather lacking, comparatively.  I did find it interesting to see someone else's ideas(much different than just reading about them)and other than the first guy constantly saying the world is going to end in 2012, pretty level headed, imho.  I'll drop the link below.  It's a one hour episode (w/o commercials around 45 minutes).  What do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaxjfQheNes

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: Anyone seen "Doomsday Prepper" by National Geographic?
« Reply #126 on: October 14, 2011, 07:24:30 PM »
Pretty interesting. Watching it now.

Kind of hokey how they do that thing at the intro with "They look like a normal family, but...they...are...preppers."

<dramatic effect>

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #127 on: October 14, 2011, 10:34:02 PM »
I thought a couple of them were foolish for providing their real names and general location.  The McClungs believe the grid will go down, but advertised their resources on camera.  Also, their huge aquaponics over their pool is clearly visible from neighbors and probably from google maps.  The National Geographic's expert identified this as a weakness.  I think the McClungs have too much faith in their neighbors.

Offline Wingman115

• Survivor
    • Wingman115 YouTube Channel
« Reply #128 on: October 16, 2011, 11:58:46 PM »
You can see most of the show on YouTube.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #129 on: October 19, 2011, 10:05:11 AM »
Caught it last night.  I would like to see someone with a real level head do an hour long show on common prepping.  The editing on these shows are horrible.  And why would anyone want to be on these shows?  I understand that the more people that take the time to prepare means less danger that I am in, but be cool about it and point people to resources like this website.  I think the possible word that could be spread is mitigated by the fact that you may have just opened the possibility to being comprimised. 

And no one is going to see two pallets of food being dropped off at your house in the middle of the night in the suburbs by a semi trailer.

Offline slingblade

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I aim to kill you with it.
« Reply #130 on: October 20, 2011, 02:35:19 PM »
It didn't seem to be the prepper bash fest that many was saying it was going to be.  I think it might be interesting for the non-prepper but otherwise boring for most of us.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #131 on: October 20, 2011, 02:54:49 PM »
I guess part of the issue for me is that I feel like while I am taking the time and energy to make an attempt to prepare for what I anticipate may be coming down the road, I don't see anyone around me doing the same.  And when the time comes, I am going to be inundated with people asking for help.  I make little comments here or there to people, but usually they just move on.  I know that I am not keen on letting everyone know what I have, and feel that most preppers are the same way, especially those who don't have a community of people who are like minded.  I watch that show and see these people basically advertising that they have lots of stuff and they live in the suburbs.  How long do you think you can defend a swimming pool full of tilapia when the rest of the neighborhood is starving?

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #132 on: October 20, 2011, 04:48:18 PM »
I guess part of the issue for me is that I feel like while I am taking the time and energy to make an attempt to prepare for what I anticipate may be coming down the road, I don't see anyone around me doing the same.

This has prompted me to say...when the conversation around me at work or in other areas of my life allows for it, I tend to venture into hints or suggestions of preparedness. It seems people these days tend to listen a more often...and for a minute or so longer...than they did a couple years ago. People appear more receptive and interested.

While this may be a scary indication of society's perspective, it also give me hope that more people may end up prepping if exposed to it properly...always a good thing.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #133 on: October 22, 2011, 11:48:01 AM »
I have a question about the guy with the underground bunker. Should the door to the outside open outward or inward?

Offline slingblade

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I aim to kill you with it.
« Reply #134 on: October 22, 2011, 01:11:29 PM »
In I would think.  Debris against the outside will not block you in.  Also puts the hinges on the inside for additional security.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #135 on: October 23, 2011, 04:43:10 AM »
When I saw that segment and the man said that his hatch would withstand the pressure of a whatever ton truck I just thought "what if someone parks their truck on it and then finds your ventilation shaft?" I would think that a door that opened in would be better for security and escape.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #136 on: October 23, 2011, 04:13:50 PM »
When I saw that segment and the man said that his hatch would withstand the pressure of a whatever ton truck I just thought "what if someone parks their truck on it and then finds your ventilation shaft?" I would think that a door that opened in would be better for security and escape.

Yeah, pipe the exhaust from the truck down through the ventilation shaft.  He might be able to filter out radioactive particles, but carbon monoxide?

Can we say "negotiate?"

The Professor

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #137 on: October 24, 2011, 08:14:19 AM »
I can only assume that someone who carefully thought out a bug out shelter like this actually has two egress options.  (Personally, I would feel trapped only having one.)  I assume he exercised SOME OPSEC.  But.....then again he took an entire film crew to his place.  Perhaps he has a couple more bug out shelters or cabins elsewhere.

Offline TNDadx4

• Survivor
  • Country roads, take me home To the place I belong.
« Reply #138 on: October 24, 2011, 11:05:07 AM »
I watched this on TV with my kids when it was one. All-in-all, it seemed pretty decent. There was not the usually kook/bashing aspect, but they did make it look a bit like it was not "normal" to prep.

OPSEC was lacking on some (3 out of 4) families, if I remember. There is something to be said for bringing in your preps at night, but it's hard to be discrete when there is a semi delivering them  ::)

Optimism/naivete was shown by some who thought that they could just trust that they would be OK in a neighborhood, although I do give them credit for trying to educate their neighbors.

I really liked the one segment with the four(?) families who had the farm together. It really looks like there was a lot of thought that is going into their planning.

Offline Isailli

• Prepper
    • Greatest skills
« Reply #139 on: October 24, 2011, 05:44:30 PM »
As a prepper you say  yea sure I get what they are doing makes sense. To a sheep you could be seen as a nut. why would any one need a gun the the government will protect you, after all there is no crime right now. and after all this is the USA  bad things cant happen here.
     I think they did some editing for the reasons they prepped I cant believe that they each had only one reason but it looks better then just a job loss. The family with the pool was on another show  this one really painted peppers as a bunch of wackos on that show there reason was not corona mass ejection it was the mayan calender as there reason to prep. 

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #140 on: October 25, 2011, 06:33:26 AM »
Even the whole coronal mass injection has me thinking they are kooks.  Improbable but not impossible.  That being said, I absolutely respect the passion and desire they show in trying to keep their family safe.  I think that is at the heart at what most have for reasons.  I don't want to minimize people who don't prep as not caring for their families at all, but to me this is common sense.

thorquest

« Reply #141 on: January 20, 2012, 09:41:42 AM »
It's good to see my favorite subject-Survival on TV.  Hopefully this will increase traffic to TSP.  I didn't realize it originally came on last June because they've been advertising it again lately, hopefully it's a new episode.  I liked the show overall but the guy in S. Carolina keeps talking about how he no longer has fear-he seems obsessed with it to the point of being afraid of fear it would seem.  I'd be interested to hear what Jack has to say about the show. 

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #142 on: January 20, 2012, 09:52:52 AM »
I liked the show overall but the guy in S. Carolina keeps talking about how he no longer has fear-he seems obsessed with it to the point of being afraid of fear it would seem. 

If you are talking about the 3rd family, my friend who was here this past weekend to learn to can watched it with me. He said that almost word for word and instance for instance that they were doing was almost straight out of that book he was telling me about a couple months ago. "Patriots Surviving the Coming Collapse" by James Westley, Rawles

Cedar

hobbs67

« Reply #143 on: January 20, 2012, 12:46:51 PM »
If you are talking about the 3rd family, my friend who was here this past weekend to learn to can watched it with me. He said that almost word for word and instance for instance that they were doing was almost straight out of that book he was telling me about a couple months ago. "Patriots Surviving the Coming Collapse" by James Westley, Rawles

Cedar

I agree that there are similarities, but I don't think they were knocking off Patriots.  Any group retreat focused on farming etc is going to be similar in a lot of ways.  SouthernPrepper and Engineer775 are the two guys involved in that one and they both have youtube channels with a whole lot of interesting videos on them that go well outside what was shown in the show.   

Offline jreb357

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #144 on: January 24, 2012, 03:55:48 PM »
This show is coming on again next month. I will be very interested to see how we are portrayed.

jreb357
SurvivalDisasterPlan.com

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #145 on: January 24, 2012, 05:19:56 PM »
This show is coming on again next month. I will be very interested to see how we are portrayed.

Same show, new episode?

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...

nelson96

Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo t.v.
« Reply #147 on: January 30, 2012, 09:30:49 PM »
Anybody heard about the new t.v. series they are running on the National Geographic channel?  It starts on Feb 7th.

Anyone from TSP starring on the show?

Here's some info on it . . . .  http://www.theblaze.com/stories/check-out-national-geographics-new-series-doomsday-preppers/

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
Re: Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo t.v.
« Reply #148 on: January 30, 2012, 09:34:32 PM »
It's actually not so new. The pilot aired last June if I remember correctly. There was a thread about it here in the forums. Dennis McClung from the first episode is a member here, though I haven't seen him post in some time.

Here is the original thread where you can find links to the pilot episode.

A later thread that mentions the show.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 09:41:18 PM by Nicodemus »

endurance

Re: Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo t.v.
« Reply #149 on: January 30, 2012, 09:42:42 PM »
I met a guy over the weekend who was filmed by NatGeo for Doomsday Preppers within the last few months.  His episode will be one of the later one's of the season.  He had some of the same concerns and observations that Dennis and others have mentioned.  Painted him in a corner regarding his prepping, as if all he cared about was CME.  Also, he was previously a stand up comedian, so they had him do some impersonations.  You know that that's the only bits they'll use, of course, but such is the nature of 'entertainment'.