Author Topic: Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo TV [merged topics]  (Read 281919 times)

Offline Malamute

• Senior Survivalist
  • Lester Burnham goes Survivalist
Re: Doomsday Prepper TV show (merged topics)
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2011, 02:04:36 PM »
I watched it and I thought the Phoenix lady was right about the major roads out of Phoenix being a potential deathtrap in the event of a big evacuation, but wrong about resigning herself to "bug in."  I know very little about the Phoenix area but I have to believe there must be some potentially viable BOL options via the backroads in the area. 

Quote from: Saint
I, too, was very impressed by the tilapia - but distracted by the constant reference to the solar eruption in 2012.
I've talked to no less than 3 unrelated people, all from states Colorado and west of there, who have unsolicitedly brought up to me past and future solar activity as a rationale/segue into a kind of broadbrushed 2012/MayanCalendar/NewAge theme.  So it appears to be a pretty big meme that has caught on in the Western US.

The South Carolina setup looked great.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 02:11:25 PM by Malamute »

Offline cpf240

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2011, 11:38:33 AM »
The 2nd family from Arizona I think the woman runs the blog survivalmom. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that is her. She was the one talking about opsec and then had a semi deliver skids of dehydrated food to her home. :o

Yes, that was the Survival Mom on the show, and she has a few things to say about the way the show was put together:
http://thesurvivalmom.com/2011/06/29/did-the-natgeo-doomsday-preppers-tell-the-whole-story/

Offline Bubafat

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2011, 12:55:07 PM »
She says they weren't paid a dime for the interviews.  I find that disgraceful.  Even if they were only paid for their time I still think they should have gotten SOMETHING out of it.

annestacey

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2011, 01:50:58 PM »
She says they weren't paid a dime for the interviews.  I find that disgraceful.  Even if they were only paid for their time I still think they should have gotten SOMETHING out of it.

Yes that's crazy.  They're exposing themselves to the world as preppers.  That's the only way I would have done the interview is if they paid me a boatload of money to do it.  Why else would they do these  interviews that could possibly put their families in danger should something happen in the future?  Maybe I'm missing something.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2011, 03:12:59 PM »
As I was talking to others on TSP chat about it, I thought that the editor jazzed some of the 'quotes' to make a more interesting story. But in reading the producers take on it.. Alan Madison who made the show, at least he perhaps learned something from interviewing the 4 families.
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/doomsday-preppers-6202/Overview#tab-blog

I feel Alan 'gets it' and still doesn't 'get it' at the same time. And I don't know if Dennis and Danielle McClung are right about a coronal mass ejection (CME), but according to NASA.... http://www.nasa.gov/topics/solarsystem/sunearthsystem/main/News080210-cme.html

"A CME can make the 93-million-mile journey to Earth in just two to four days. Stronger solar storms could cause adverse impacts to space-based assets and technological infrastructure on Earth."

So who is to say... The September 1859 Carrington Super Flare is said ...."Telegraph systems all over Europe and North America failed in some cases even shocking telegraph operators. Telegraph pylons threw sparks and telegraph paper spontaneously caught fire. Some telegraph systems appeared to continue to send and receive messages despite having been disconnected from their power supplies."

So it is a possibility and who is to say they are wrong?

Cedar

Offline Xixor5

• Prepper
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2011, 04:50:22 PM »
I've been reading this book called Handbook to Practical Disaster Preparedness for the Family by Arthur T. Bradley.  This guy is smart (PH.D and works for NASA) and he said somewhere in his book that an EMP type event was the one he considered to be the least likely.  He was comparing pretty much all disasters from floods, earthquakes, tsunamis, and even economic collapse.  Of course he can't know for sure but anyway it's a great book.  Check it out.  I bought it from his web site and he mailed it out ASAP with a free radiation sticker thingy and I even emailed him a couple times.  Cool guy.  I'll see if I can find a link.

http://disasterpreparer.com/

Offline dbatstl

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2011, 11:50:27 PM »
After hearing about this show and finally going to youtube to watch. I noticed the first family the Mclungs from Arizona were interviewed by Nick Ladieu from Save our Skills podcast. It was his his first episode. It was definately a better idea of what they had done with their aquaponics system. The tv show I think put preppers in a bad light. It can make us look a little extreme. I just think if you're this hooked up why would you put it out there for the whole world to see.

Offline Doug

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2011, 08:23:14 AM »
After hearing about this show and finally going to youtube to watch. I noticed the first family the Mclungs from Arizona were interviewed by Nick Ladieu from Save our Skills podcast. It was his his first episode. It was definately a better idea of what they had done with their aquaponics system. The tv show I think put preppers in a bad light. It can make us look a little extreme. I just think if you're this hooked up why would you put it out there for the whole world to see.

It's like I said up above (http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=28325.msg315066#msg315066) an oil crunch is going to hit everyone and unlike a corona ejection belief there's no speculation about an oil crunch happening. It will...in this decade.

Offline Rookinde

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2011, 08:41:44 AM »
My wife and I watched and liked it. I would like to ask if other members when the new episodes come out if they would post the you tube links for us none cable people that would be great. I would say that they did use the most extreme people. I thought the guy with the bunker was missing a lot. No where does he have garden started to learn the skills. If the water he has stored is above ground then won't the become contaminated?

Rook

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2011, 12:38:59 PM »
Thanks to those that posted the You Tube link.  Crazy & interesting show.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2011, 01:43:31 PM »
I kinda enjoyed it. One thing that made it nice was that my oldest stepson was here while it was on and he's been so sure guns and ammo would be all he ever needed it was interesting to watch the lightbulb come on for him a few times. I'm pretty sure it did make a lot of grasshoppers laugh but that's ok too.

hobbs67

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
Did I miss something on the swimming pool folks, a well for example, as all I could think of was the question of a water based survival strategy in the middle of Arizona?  Perhaps i just don't understand how it works.

The experts advice seemed ill-advised as well, invite neigbors to come over so they can be sure to remember the strange covered pool next door if something happens. 

Of them all, the Utah guy seemed to get the most "extreme" treatment, perhaps rightly so.  His version seemed no fun at all.

I enjoyed the SC folks the most. Their youtube channels are interesting as well.  The engineer guy is a Pastor of a Calvary Chapel too -- generally theologically sound churches.

Offline Rookinde

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2011, 06:59:33 PM »
The woman that was storing rice in 2liter soda bottles. Has anyone else tried that and is it good to reuse them?

Rook

endurance

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2011, 07:03:44 PM »
The woman that was storing rice in 2liter soda bottles. Has anyone else tried that and is it good to reuse them?

Rook
For smaller quantities and ease of accessibility, it's hard to beat them.  While I wouldn't go for my long term storage in all 2L bottles (because they tend to crush when you use O2 absorbers), for the mid-term (today to 2-3 years), they're great.  For long term it's still hard to beat 6 gallon buckets with gamma seal lids, but they're inconvenient to have in your kitchen/pantry.

Offline d0j0w0

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2011, 08:17:21 PM »
I liked the show.  I always get something out of shows like this, good or bad.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2011, 02:35:40 PM »

Rook

Likely better over a woven sack.

Another good use for 2L soda bottles is storing water in the freezer.  I fill them 2/3 and if/when my garage freezer has space, shove them in.
The function is 2 part:

1) a little extra water storage
2) helps maintain the low temps inside the freezer in the event of a power outage

Jack might have mentioned this in a show way back.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2011, 04:13:28 PM »
The show was interesting, & I did enjoy it but I still think it came down a little too far on the lunatic side of things. 

Not that I necessarily think any of those folks are lunatics, we all have our reasons for prepping, but it does IMO give the uninitiated a very narrow view of what prepping is about.

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2011, 05:25:43 PM »
This show re-airs in 25 minutes on the national geographic channel

Offline hanzel

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Prepper Living
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2011, 06:54:08 AM »
This show re-airs in 25 minutes on the national geographic channel

Thanks.  I missed your posing by about an hour however I was able to Tivo the next show that was on at 10pm.  I think it airs one more time soon. 

Offline Bennington1776

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Do you have a plan?
    • Preparedness Consulting Group, LLC
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2011, 11:48:43 AM »
Overall I thought the show was done well.  I would also like to know the backgrounds of the so called exports who are evaluating these families.  I don’t think they should have used their names or allowed their faces to be shown and in some cases their home addresses.  But then again it would not have made for “good TV’.  Two families highlighted from AZ gives a poor view of what those in other environments would face, Beach, Mountains, Plains States, inner city of NY/LA/Chicago or rural areas.  A more diverse location choice would highlight some of the strategy differences.  Oh and here comes family three in SC and four in the Rockies.
Thoughts on family 1:  A concern would be now neighbors, local officials and others now know you have resources and when they run out these people could be logical targets.  It is great that the whole family is involved.  Constant exposure and repetition will provide the much needed readiness if their prepper nightmare turns into a reality.

Family two has a great mindset for the bug in with no plans on having to leave their home.  They also involve the children which is a necessity.  As good as it seems to take delivery of their items at night, they live in suburbia and their neighbors will notice a delivery truck in the middle of the night and take more notice to it than I think the family intends.  It would be better to make several trips in their personal vehicles, drive into their garage and unload within the confines of the closed garage.

Family three has exposed the group system where by partnering with other like minded preppers each bringing skill sets to “the farm”.  They also seem to have done better then the first two families by not advertising as well their location.  All though again, those who know them may be able to more readily locate them in a SHTF situation. 

Family four like family three seem to take a more OPSEC approach to their prepping and bug out location.  It was nice to see that there was a chess game and other activities for the children and adults.  Living in an underground shelter for any length of time wound need to be guarded against the psychological aspects of not having the ability to go outside and cabin fever.

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I can be an ankle biter too!
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2011, 06:49:14 PM »
I don't think it would sell as a TV show if it featured a more mainstream view.  I could just see a show on me.  He bought an extra can of corn, peas, and a buy on get one free Bic lighter at the store today.  Oh my look he refilled his gas tank at half empty.  He bought 2 silver dimes he was missing out of his book. Spent to hours looking around for good deals, but went home empty handed.  And whats this 3 hours at the range, firing a total of 50 rounds through the evil death ray 10/22 in 15 minutes, BSing with the old guys for 2hours 45 minutes. The grand tour of his home revels only full cupboards and a gun safe...  I think you get the idea.

Offline Saint

• Senior Survivalist
  • Bury it and bury the shovel.
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2011, 07:31:45 AM »
Xixor5,
any chance the author would be interested in an interview with Jack? If you're emailing him, maybe send him the pre-question survey - if nothing else he might consider it a good book selling opportunity - and we might learn a thing or two.
Saint

Offline Dennis McClung

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2011, 02:42:52 PM »
Dennis McClung here. I would be more than happy to answer anything about the Doomsday Preppers show. Let me know.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2011, 02:54:03 PM »
Dennis McClung here. I would be more than happy to answer anything about the Doomsday Preppers show. Let me know.

Where did you get your seed stock for Tilapia? And nice well thought out recycled project on your pool. Kudos..

Cedar

PS Welcome to the forum

Offline Dennis McClung

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2011, 02:58:27 PM »
Where did you get your seed stock for Tilapia? And nice well thought out recycled project on your pool. Kudos..

Cedar
We found 1 local shop that had Nile Tilapia. We started with 5 fish and soon had thousands. We give tours to locals via our meetup group. Thanks for the kudos. Thanks for the welcome. I figure some might want to hear my perspective. I enjoy the podcast so I guess I was a lurker.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2011, 03:06:09 PM »
Well, quit lurking then.....  ;)

So having been on both sides of the camera before and in the media as an editor myself, WHAT WAS **YOUR** take on how your family was portrayed? What would you have changed? What was COMPLETELY misquoted? (there always seems to be)...

Cedar

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2011, 03:10:16 PM »
Hi Dennis, I'm glad that you hopped on the TSP forum.

First let me say that I love your Greenhouse/Aquaponics/Chicken Coop setup. It's a great bit of engineering(?) and quite the inspiration.

A lot of us watched the show and have talked about it a few times here, as you can see, and in the TSP Forum Chat.

We were talking about your focus on a CME and grid down scenario as a focus for your reasoning behind preparing and how there seemed to be a timeline attached to the possibility. We also noted that there was no real explanation for the timeline.

Is there a reason that you feel a CME that takes down the grid is almost assured or is it just one of the possibilities that you're preparing for?

Do you feel you were a little misrepresented by the editor's and director's choice in how it played?

How are your electronics for the aquaponics protected for a CME event?

How are you getting the neighbors on board?

Are you thinking about something more than a knife for defense?

Offline Dennis McClung

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2011, 03:29:23 PM »
It is good to know you understand the media. Some are much better than others. I had high hopes for this particular project since it was Nat Geo.

WHAT WAS **YOUR** take on how your family was portrayed?
Our family thought that it was great to see prepping on TV, however it was very sensationalized and scripted. The producers insisted that we only talk about solar activity in 2012 because they already had folks talking about the normal stuff. After everything I said, and much of it was coached, they made me add something about 2012. I turned on my 2012 countdown during the interview to advertise my business, but the editors took out any mention of my survival supply website. We do not believe in doomsday, as they made us seem to appear. Doomsday was never mentioned. The show was simply called "Preppers" through all of the production. The time I did say doomsday was out of context. We refused to mention a great part of our plan, including our bug out locations and defense. We felt that they would just exploit it and blow our operational security. We also happened to film shortly following the Tucson shootings so it really appropriate to show weapons at the time.

What would you have changed?
I would have been more aware of how they could have edited my family.

What was COMPLETELY misquoted?
Any mention that we believe in 2012 doomsday. We believe in the possibility of increased solar activity in this time frame, but we aren't prophets. My wife and I decided to be as self-sufficient and prepared as we could with a five year plan beginning in 2007. I guess that makes us 2012ers to the media. I admit that the 2012 calendar exposed me to the solar activity in cycle 24. We decided to base our prepping strategy on surviving what we seen as the worst case scenario thus preparing us for more than the average prepper. The Garden Pool is a byproduct of this.
The two producers were very pushy and we were very worried how they were portraying us from the beginning. We never really trusted them and we felt they were mocking us. We insisted that they pay us for our time and they went ballistic. I believe that we were the only folks paid for this piece. I think they took it out on us in the editing room. We actually filmed for four days, and by days I mean 13 hour days. We felt our time was worth something.

To make a long story short: the editors were creeps who made us something we are not, crazy. We planned with self-sufficiency in mind and they refused to make us look anywhere near rational. They did not show the whole picture, only their story.

Look for a better show coming August 28th from TLC called Livin' for the Apocalypse. The show will also feature Peggy Layton!

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2011, 03:39:37 PM »
Dennis, here is Jacks' guest form if you would like to be interviewed by him (if you have not filled it out already).
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/guest-submission

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2011, 03:43:53 PM »
As I was talking to others on TSP chat about it, I thought that the editor jazzed some of the 'quotes' to make a more interesting story.
Cedar

Our family thought that it was great to see prepping on TV, however it was very sensationalized and scripted. The producers insisted that we only talk about solar activity in 2012 because they already had folks talking about the normal stuff. After everything I said, and much of it was coached, they made me add something about 2012.

I thought that after I saw it and said it in a post somewhere here.. I thought it looked suspicious and you were being suggested as what to say. I did have to laugh at your boy wearing gloves to get the chicken eggs though. I think he had them on for something else and left them on? I was laughing as I was wondering how many 'city folk' thought that you had to grab the eggs with gloves all the time.

The ones who are real preppers will suspect you are not crazy, and the other people who are not preppers think we are all crazy anyway.. We all know who and what we are.... smart.

Cedar