Author Topic: Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo TV [merged topics]  (Read 88699 times)

Offline hanzel

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Prepper Living
Re: Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo TV [merged topics]
« Reply #570 on: November 29, 2012, 08:31:56 AM »
Last night's show convinced me these people must be paid actors. This can't be real.

The guy takes his daughter to the range and she clearly shows she wants no part of shooting and the father appears to be in a different world claiming he can count on her to defend herself.

We don't live in a free society, if you publicize what last night's show did, it will get you in hot water. OPSEC, OPSEC, OPSEC.

OPSEC would have also been the fact that they should were the guy lived.  I watched the show because the person was from Houston.  Then I noticed the street signs and thought I know this area.  Then went on google maps and used street view.  Looking at Google maps and the freeze frame on the tv I went, tree ... tree ... fence ... fence ... light pole... light pole .. turn 180 degrees and yep .. thats his house.  Opps.

Who else noticed the laser targeting with no laser on the gun ?
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

www.facebook.com/prepperliving

Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure

Offline Moonvalleyprepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #571 on: November 29, 2012, 10:18:38 AM »
Yeah, remember that they tried to get the pole-dancing, booty-short wearing party chick in the first season to kill her cat, on camera, too.

Wait, what?! They tried to get her to kill her cat?

If that's true they just went from scum to low life pieces of sh^t in my book.  :pissed:
Quail Stuff

Ebook. http://greatlakespermacultureportal.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/BD-Ebook-quail-for-meat-and-eggs.pdf
Thread. http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=42890.0
Prezi. http://prezi.com/kssuytlqgjs4/raising-quail-for-meat-and-eggs/?kw=view-kssuytlqgjs4&rc=ref-37650931
TSP Episode 1017. http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/quail-for-eggs-and-meat

Virtual tour of my property, Google Sketchup overlay on Google Earth image.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a8gkPz1otw

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
~Thomas Edison

"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #572 on: November 29, 2012, 10:26:13 AM »
Wait, what?! They tried to get her to kill her cat?
If that's true they just went from scum to low life pieces of sh^t in my book.  :pissed:

She mentioned eating her cat if a SHTF scenario happened on screen and apparently she blogged somewhere that offscreen the producers said they would pay her $1,500.00 if she would do it for the camera after she stated the first part.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #573 on: November 29, 2012, 10:40:39 AM »
WTF is wrong with those people?  ???
"In the end, more than freedom, they wanted security.
They wanted a comfortable life, and they lost it all - security,
comfort, and freedom. When the Athenians finally wanted not to give to society but for society to give to them, when the freedom they wished for most was freedom from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free and was never free again."
- Edward Gibbon

Offline Moonvalleyprepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #574 on: November 29, 2012, 10:41:36 AM »
wow... I knew the producers were a-holes, but that is absolutely psychotic.
Quail Stuff

Ebook. http://greatlakespermacultureportal.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/BD-Ebook-quail-for-meat-and-eggs.pdf
Thread. http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=42890.0
Prezi. http://prezi.com/kssuytlqgjs4/raising-quail-for-meat-and-eggs/?kw=view-kssuytlqgjs4&rc=ref-37650931
TSP Episode 1017. http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/quail-for-eggs-and-meat

Virtual tour of my property, Google Sketchup overlay on Google Earth image.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a8gkPz1otw

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
~Thomas Edison

"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #575 on: November 29, 2012, 10:58:41 AM »
They keep pushing the envelope and making more unrealistic views of preppers because people keep watching and talking about them. The more people watch the more advertisers pay, the longer the shows stay on the air. I quit watching. One, we no longer support the cable/satellite business. I can get more reputable and realistic info on here or other places on the net. AND with no commercials. Two, it just got too crazy, and mad me frustrated that THIS show is what the grasshoppers base their opinions of me on.

I originally watched for ideas and like others said what NOT to do. But I would rather come on here go through the threads, and if I cannot find something I ask and like 10 people either had the same question or provide solutions. or there is google-fu, e-books, etc.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Online endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #576 on: November 29, 2012, 11:35:16 AM »
I think a reality show on most of the preppers would be boring as hell. 

Man goes to the grocery store, buys food, comes home, puts some food in downstairs freeze, pulls some out of downstairs freezer and brings it upstairs.  Puts some food on shelves, pulls some older food from shelves and brings it upstairs.  Man puts away groceries.

Wife sits down at computer, pays mortgage, pays phone bill, pays life insurance, health insurance, flood insurance, car insurance, checks savings, takes some money out of savings for purchase of some silver and/or gold.

Husband and wife invite friends over for a barbecue.  They go downstairs and get food.  They discover the grill is out of gas and go to the shed to get a new bottle.

Frankly, it would be boring as hell, but that's the way I like it. ;)
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #577 on: November 29, 2012, 11:44:21 AM »
What about a 1 hr show of compilation of vids on how to or informational segments. Going with the boring part, until he died, could have gotten the guy who painted on PBS channel Bob....somebody. You know, the guy painting "happy little tree" 10 min and I was out. Woke up hour later and he had completed canvas of work.

How to make fire...101 ways.

May be more of a PBS type thing. We actually do this now. Laptop connected to TV. "Kids what do we want to learn how to do?" Fun on Sunday mornings. Coffee, relaxed by fire. and NO COMMERCIALS. 

The middle child said one day "I wanna learn to trap a bear"...funny there are videos on that. He went out and tried to set it up in our suburban lot, in our 0.2 acre privacy fenced-in yard.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #578 on: November 29, 2012, 12:08:34 PM »
OPSEC would have also been the fact that they should were the guy lived.  I watched the show because the person was from Houston.  Then I noticed the street signs and thought I know this area.  Then went on google maps and used street view.  Looking at Google maps and the freeze frame on the tv I went, tree ... tree ... fence ... fence ... light pole... light pole .. turn 180 degrees and yep .. thats his house.  Opps.

Who else noticed the laser targeting with no laser on the gun ?

Well, IIRC, the pistol was a S&W M&P.   

You don't need external lasers for an M&P (or GLOCK, SA XDM, Beretta, Taurus, SIG).  There are internal, guide-rod lasers you can get that allow you to use the same holster and have the laser with you at all times, ready to be turned on with the flick of a tiny switch:

http://www.lasermax.com/Products/GuideRodLasers.aspx

The Professor
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
Re: Doomsday Preppers Forum
« Reply #579 on: November 29, 2012, 02:04:01 PM »
I don't know if that's a valid question, anymore.

Health insurance : Mandated by Obama
Auto Insurance : Mandated by every state if you want to drive the vehicle on "public" roads.
Home Insurance: Mandated by most of the banks who carry your home loan.

Not trying to be a wet blanket, I read your response and it just sorta struck me outta the blue that Insurance is no longer an option, but a requirement.

The Professor

Yeah, but I carry comprehensive on my own vehicle. ;)
"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

Our parents used to say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of it."
And now our kids say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of us."

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

"The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself." FDR 1937

The Tin Foil Hat Song by the League of Lady Conspiracists

Offline meapplejak

• Prepper
  • Newish TSP Forum member
« Reply #580 on: November 29, 2012, 02:50:24 PM »
What about a 1 hr show of compilation of vids on how to or informational segments. Going with the boring part, until he died, could have gotten the guy who painted on PBS channel Bob....somebody. You know, the guy painting "happy little tree" 10 min and I was out. Woke up hour later and he had completed canvas of work.

Bob Ross.   Awesome dude

Check out the remix on youtube and the mr rogers one too :)
applejak

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #581 on: November 29, 2012, 02:56:46 PM »
That's the guy! he was local Ball State prof. Growing up he could put me to sleep on a weekend afternoon as fast as golf.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Offline stry67

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #582 on: November 30, 2012, 06:02:21 PM »
It seems Practical Preppers sold out one way or another being connected with this show. They were indeed on the first episode of season one. They are now the 'experts' that rate the other people on episodes after that one. I say they sold out as they seemed to have their stuff mostly together when they were the subject in episode one. Now in my opinion, it looks like they are just promoting the perceived stereotypical weirdness of preppers, all in the name of money to be part of this farce of a show on prepping. And yes.. I would kindly say that to their face/s and I think they would be able to see my sadness on having to say that.

Alan Madison was the producer in the first season. I don't know if he bailed or has continued with it or if Practical Preppers have taken over as producers.

If I remember right, the first episode of season one had those two guys from the nc area and one is a pretty big youtube guy that goes by the handle of ncprepper annnd isn't practcal preppers his company?
Cedar

Offline The Professor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #583 on: November 30, 2012, 09:36:11 PM »
It seems Practical Preppers sold out one way or another being connected with this show. They were indeed on the first episode of season one. They are now the 'experts' that rate the other people on episodes after that one. I say they sold out as they seemed to have their stuff mostly together when they were the subject in episode one. Now in my opinion, it looks like they are just promoting the perceived stereotypical weirdness of preppers, all in the name of money to be part of this farce of a show on prepping. And yes.. I would kindly say that to their face/s and I think they would be able to see my sadness on having to say that.

Alan Madison was the producer in the first season. I don't know if he bailed or has continued with it or if Practical Preppers have taken over as producers.

Cedar

In all honesty, from what they've done and what they've shown, it's obvious they're probably making more money from the ads on this show than they are "advising" or "consulting," if the quality of "advice" they've given is to be any sort of barometer.

Yes. . .that's catty.

The Professor

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #584 on: November 30, 2012, 11:33:18 PM »
Alan Madison is STILL the producer of DP.

http://www.fastcocreate.com/1681947/paranoid-or-prepared-what-you-can-learn-from-those-nutty-doomsday-preppers#1

Paranoid Or Prepared? What You Can Learn From Those Nutty “Doomsday Preppers”

By: Christine Champagne -- Nov 15, 2012

NatGeo’s Doomsday Preppers may seem batpoop crazy to you, but post-Sandy, and in light of warnings that calamity may become more common, what can we learn from these extreme practitioners of paranoid prep? Executive producer Alan Madison talks about working with the show’s survivalists, and a survival consultant shares advice on how to be prepared for when disaster strikes.

Alan Madison’s wife recently asked him to stop buying beans.

“I was like, ‘What do you mean?’ ” Madison recounts. “And she goes, ‘Every time you go to the supermarket you come back with a couple cans of beans. I don’t know if you’re doing it consciously, but you have to stop. We have three-thousand cans of beans.’ ”

That’s a bit of an exaggeration, Madison says with a laugh. But he does admit that he was unconsciously stocking the pantry with lentils and garbanzos, and he knows full well it’s because he spends so much time with the survivalists--a.k.a. preppers--featured on Doomsday Preppers, now in its second season on the National Geographic Channel....

"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

Offline cpf240

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #585 on: November 30, 2012, 11:42:29 PM »
If I remember right, the first episode of season one had those two guys from the nc area and one is a pretty big youtube guy that goes by the handle of ncprepper annnd isn't practcal preppers his company?

They are Southernprepper1 and Engineer775 on youtube. Yes, they formed the company Practical Preppers. They have posted several videos of work they have done for others, mostly dealing with solar power and water well systems.

Recently Southernprepper1 left Practical Preppers to focus more on the things he wants to do.

I wouldn't be surprised if anything they provide(d) to Doomsday Preppers rating people on the show was as subject to the "editorial shenanigans" that happen with the rest of the show.
Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal! - Wash

Offline ForgedPatriot

• Senior Survivalist
  • Scaring the general public since 68'
« Reply #586 on: December 01, 2012, 08:02:06 AM »
I stopped watching this show after the first season because I knew the producers were going to screw it up in some way. The idea of making a show about prepping...awesome. The idea of signing up for a show that millions of people see, and will now know not only who you are and where you are at, but what you are doing....idiotic. You instantly make yourself a target for not only government types when you do this, but for everyone in your immediate area that knows you, and now know you are the one to come to when the SHTF....because you will have EVERYTHING that THEY need and WANT. To each his own. Just my 2 cents worth   ::)
US Army 87'-90'
Ft. Bliss, White Sands, Holloman AFB
Intendo Certo Ictu

~ForgedPatriot

Offline hanzel

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Prepper Living
« Reply #587 on: December 01, 2012, 08:57:27 AM »

Well, IIRC, the pistol was a S&W M&P.   

You don't need external lasers for an M&P (or GLOCK, SA XDM, Beretta, Taurus, SIG).  There are internal, guide-rod lasers you can get that allow you to use the same holster and have the laser with you at all times, ready to be turned on with the flick of a tiny switch:

http://www.lasermax.com/Products/GuideRodLasers.aspx

The Professor

Wife already deleted it off the DVR so I cant watch it again intil the rerun.  It just looked ... wrong ?  Like it had been added in later for effect.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

www.facebook.com/prepperliving

Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #588 on: December 01, 2012, 09:41:59 AM »
What a valid point. It may just be a matter of time before prepping is a mandate. Car accidents caused the need for vehicle insurance, damage to homes required banks to protect property, health insurance due to costs and cover Dr.'s. How much are disasters costing FEMA and homeland security responding and taking care of the grasshoppers (really all of us in taxes) before they make a prepper insurance necessary?

I have heard daily on the radio with the kids (I refuse to listen to the radio normally and prefer podcasts) that FEMA and homeland security have had several different ads. They are now stating to have 7 days of preps vs the 72 hrs. Then direct people to their respective websites.

If it is mandated that we must buy something that isn't mentioned in the constitution (insurance), maybe it is time that it is mandated that we must buy that which is in the constitution (Bill of Rights): firearms.

Offline Mountain State Prepper

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Proudly owned by a yellow lab!
« Reply #589 on: December 01, 2012, 10:01:42 PM »
They are Southernprepper1 and Engineer775 on youtube. Yes, they formed the company Practical Preppers. They have posted several videos of work they have done for others, mostly dealing with solar power and water well systems.

Recently Southernprepper1 left Practical Preppers to focus more on the things he wants to do.

I wouldn't be surprised if anything they provide(d) to Doomsday Preppers rating people on the show was as subject to the "editorial shenanigans" that happen with the rest of the show.

I get Comcast Xfinity here in WV.   In the OnDemand section under TV Shows, they not only have this season's shows to watch, but a couple of 10 minute "Prepper Tips" segments.   It looks like the same two guys you mention above here on youtube.
--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline cpf240

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #590 on: December 02, 2012, 01:50:17 AM »

I get Comcast Xfinity here in WV.   In the OnDemand section under TV Shows, they not only have this season's shows to watch, but a couple of 10 minute "Prepper Tips" segments.   It looks like the same two guys you mention above here on youtube.

Thank you for mentioning this, as I was unaware of these 'bonus" episodes. I'm on AT$T U-Ver$e here in SoCal, and there are 2 episodes available, at least until 12/3/12. I'll check them out tomorrow!
Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal! - Wash

Offline stry67

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #591 on: December 02, 2012, 05:50:18 PM »

Yep, after I posted it, I said to myself the namewasn't right and went and looked. Ill bet a dollar to a doughnut there's more to him leaving than what he stated in his vid in Oct. I suspect it has a a lot to do with how that show is coming across and he wants to distance himself.

Offline cep89

• Survivor
« Reply #592 on: December 12, 2012, 10:07:29 AM »
There may be hope for this show.  Last nights show 12/11/12 was pretty good.  The guy running for city council to get his community to prep was good.  It showed how he integrated other issues (religion) in to his prepping.  I learned something from the last guy about making food in a fish tank and he was also working to get his community ready.  Nobody on this show came off as crazy.

Offline The Professor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #593 on: December 12, 2012, 06:42:01 PM »
It's honestly gotten to the point where I just won't watch the show.  There is absolutely nothing of value.  It's obvious that it's the intention of either the production company or NatGeo to make fools-apparent of everyone who appears on their show.

What's worse, they will intentionally twist the words and situations around solely for the sensational aspect.  They have no desire, or intention, to show preppers in any sort of neutral, or favorable, light.

I, for one, am extremely tempted to write long, and strongly-worded letters to each of the advertisers of the show asking them how they can support such a negative presentation of the people off of whom they make their money.

The Professor

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #594 on: December 12, 2012, 08:10:12 PM »
Great idea professor!!! Hit them where it hurts. Without the sponsors the show can't exist, or at least maybe get the sponsors to support change. Direct them to all the negativity on forums towards the show. Now that you bring it up who are the sponsors? I cut cable a while ago and stopped watching before then. U would be in favor of jot supporting the sponsors who support the show. I already do not support Walmart. Will my one family spending matter to Walmart? Maybe not but they say the same thing about my one vote.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #595 on: December 12, 2012, 09:11:32 PM »
I'm betting this show is a pot of gold for sponsors.  I suspect that most of their audience are the people who love this kind of t.v. (any Kardashian, Big Brother, Real Housewives, etc) that they can watch and make fun of others.  I'm betting there are even many preppers that love to watch the show and poke fun.  If you don't like the show, welcome to the 1 percenter's club.

I too support writing the sponsors.  Not enough people speak up or cast a vote, that's why the country is in such a mess.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #596 on: December 15, 2012, 05:35:55 AM »
You're very lucky. . .and one of the very few.  I'd be interested to see exactly how many people in this country actually own their homes, outright (barring the argument that you're truly not allowed to own your home free-and-clear, vis-a-vis property taxes).

The Professor

That is a pretty insulting comment. Luck does not have anything to do with hard work and ethics. I was dealt a bad hand, a pretty shitty hand. I have qualified for disability since 2 months after I put myself through one of the best private univerities in the 5 state area.

I can pay my debts in cash if needed. Took 20 years of hard work, and teasing from my friends, and sometiee embarrisment to my wife. But if the wheels fall off this sucker, I own my shit. It was not by luck.

PokeShell

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
~Clint Eastwood

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #597 on: December 15, 2012, 05:46:09 AM »
There may be hope for this show.  Last nights show 12/11/12 was pretty good.  The guy running for city council to get his community to prep was good.  It showed how he integrated other issues (religion) in to his prepping.  I learned something from the last guy about making food in a fish tank and he was also working to get his community ready.  Nobody on this show came off as crazy.

It was the best show yet. He had a plan to deliver\disperse and train quick for growing algae as food. The aquaplonics shows have been inspirational also.

PokeShell

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
~Clint Eastwood

Offline The Professor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #598 on: December 15, 2012, 03:15:52 PM »
That is a pretty insulting comment. Luck does not have anything to do with hard work and ethics. I was dealt a bad hand, a pretty shitty hand. I have qualified for disability since 2 months after I put myself through one of the best private univerities in the 5 state area.

I can pay my debts in cash if needed. Took 20 years of hard work, and teasing from my friends, and sometiee embarrisment to my wife. But if the wheels fall off this sucker, I own my shit. It was not by luck.

LOL, take it any way you want.  All the hard work and ethics in the world won't help if the company you work for up and moves to Mexico/China/Malaysia.  All the degrees from private universities won't help if the industry in which you work takes a nose-dive due to nothing YOU had to do with other than choose it as your particular field of expertise. 

There are plenty of people out there who worked their butts off, with no help from anyone else and who got stuck holding the short end of the stick.

Are you insinuating that the people who have lost their homes and their livelihoods are not hard workers?  Are you suggesting that all they had to do to fully own their homes outright was work harder and, perhaps, go to a private school? That perhaps their lesser educations were the cause of their problems?  Perhaps their wives weren't as embarrassed with them, but should have been?

And, while you claim that you own your home outright, what happens if you miss a property tax payment?  Or are the rest of us just idiots for living in places that have property tax?

There are factors beyond people's control that happen to them.  I consider myself extremely lucky.  Up until recently, I had two homes that were paid for, with the exception of annual property taxes (both were destroyed during wildfires, this year, I am taking on a bit of additional, temporary debt to upgrade the rebuilt homes).  I have advanced degrees (oh, by the way. . .I took absolutely NO loans for them. . .I worked while I studied and used all (and more) of my GI Bill and College Fund), I know how to network.  I chose areas of study which have very low chances of collapsing in the future and are not specifically dependent upon the state of the economy.  I got good jobs, early on.  I took several private contracts during the late unpleasantness to fund further education and the creation of several income generators. Oh, and just for full disclosure, I am considered disabled by the VA because of some of my misadventures.

Have I worked hard?  Arguable.  Probably not as hard as my father, definitely not as hard as my Grandfather.  Do I have good work ethics?  My former employers would say so, as does my current employer which recently approved a dream job for me.

We do know, through your own assertions that you are a hard worker and have great work ethics. However, for every one of you, there are scores of others who work just as hard and have ethics that are on par with your high levels, but fate has dealt them a bad hand this time around.  Some will survive, some will not , some will overcome and some will BE overcome. . .even those with great work ethics and who are hard workers.

Moreover, there are millions who are still in the middle of their mortgages who are working 2, 3 or even 4 jobs to pay their mortgage, keep the lights on , keep their kids fed and pay their taxes because this economy is in a "temporary downturn" through no fault of their own.

Oh, wait. . .they should work HARDER and, perhaps, take a few advanced ethics classes from a private university, right?

Be insulted.  I don't really care.  There are others who have suffered greater insults than being less lucky than you are.

The Professor

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #599 on: December 16, 2012, 09:17:45 AM »
http://www.doomsdayprepperforums.com/index.php

Doesn't look to be tied directly to the show, but I'm sure is trying to get traffic because of their name. ;)

I am registering right now to post. And I am very suspicious that perhaps maybe this forum IS connected to the show.

Here's all the data fields from their "new member registration" page. Get a load of all the stupid fields that are "required" fields. They are mandating that in order to register for the forum, you MUST violate all kinds of OpSec. I am pretty sure this message forum has NOT been started by true preppers. I think it's been started by someone who is phishing for prospective candidates for ... interviews.  (Or worse, for spammer e-mails.)

Your location is required.

Name:       _____________________________
                                         This is the name that will be shown with your messages.
                                                    You may use any name you wish. Once set, this cannot be changed.

Email:       ______________________________

Password:       ______________________________

Confirm Password:       ______________________________

______________________________                         
                                           Enter your password in the first box and confirm it in the second.

Date of Birth:      _______________________________
                                           Your date of birth is required.

Female
                                            (unspecified)

Favorite Weapon:       _______________________________   
                           Required

What Are You Prepping For?    ________________________________
                           Required 

Are You Bugging Out?     Yes
                            Required       No
                                             Unsure

Time zone:       _____________________________

Verification:       What Amendment Gaurantees Right to Bear Arms

I agree to the terms and rules.