Author Topic: Camping activities  (Read 11577 times)

Offline USMCAllen

• Survivor
Camping activities
« on: July 27, 2011, 02:31:34 AM »
My wifes idea of camping is summer camp in a cozy cabin with structered activities for the campers. I need some "activity" ideas to let her know I'm not just gonna drag her into the woods and see how many bugs crawl on her.

Preferably with some preparedness value, but anything will do.

Offline Medicineball

• Survivor
Re: Camping activities
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 04:59:54 AM »
A mid-day hike that includes preparing lunch (making a fire, cooking,etc) will be scenic, active, and let you practice the fire.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 05:46:57 AM »
Geocaching is one of the activities that we do each trip.

We also do a lot of hiking.

But my camping consists of a lot of relaxing in camp with a good book.

Offline JarHeadTed

• Prepper
    • Ted's Place
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 01:49:09 PM »
Try this website: http://www.boyscouttrail.com/boy-scouts/boy-scout-activities.asp

The Boy Scouts have many activities for camping that usually have an underlying skill that is applicable to survival, preparedness or woodcraft.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 10:32:39 PM »
Go get some disposable cameras and give one to each child. Let them shot some pictures. Your wife would love to see you prepare and cook some meals. Let her sit back and enjoy the humor. Prepare  a plant  identification scrapbook. (make sure it's legal in your area.) Buy a bird book and some binoculars and identify as many of the birds as possible. Animal track identification. Mosquito replent. Her favorite wine or beverage and a candle light dinner prepared by you. A battery powered CD player with her favorite music for a dance. Go for a hike , let her go at her speed. Teach her some knots and let her tie you up to see how long it takes for you to untie yourself. Good luck  ;D

Offline CookingtoSurvive

• Prepper
    • Cooking to survive
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 05:35:40 PM »
My wife really enjoys hiking. The first time we went camping together I was convinced she would hate being outdoors. She sure proved me wrong. You might be surprised and your wife may take well to communing with nature.

Offline Joe

• Survivor
    • Survival Cycling
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 06:48:29 AM »
My wife loves a little solo time.  Where she can go out and just have quiet.  Find a nice place by a stream or something and just let her unwind. 
It's funny how addicted we get to noise.  It's therapeutic sometimes to just let nature speak. 

Sounds hokey eh?

On the other hand, here is what my wife ACTUALLY said:

"I think that when we go into the outdoors it is your time to host me.  I take care of the house, make sure its clean, set the table, cook the food...When we go camping its your turn to host me.  Make me comfortable, start a fire, make the shelter, cook the food..."

You may just have an opportunity to earn some major stud points here my friend! ;D

Definitely do NOT think that you have to keep busy the whole time.  I always used to think we had to go go go and that just results in a tired, worn out, crabby wife that doesn't ever want to come to the woods again. 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 07:06:27 AM by Joe »

Offline Mr. Red Beard (UKtheBUNNY)

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Probably doing it wrong
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 10:40:13 AM »
Geocaching is one of the activities that we do each trip.

I couldn't agree more with Fritz. My wife loves GeoCaching.

Offline Clybrad

• Survivor
    • Skilled Gentlemen Podcast
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 11:32:20 AM »
My wife loves camping the also.  At least thats what she tells me.  Her favorite thing is to relax and read while letting me play around in the woods.  She says its fun to see me as a kid again.  Our lives are kind of stressful with me being a firefighter and her being a school teacher.  Im kind of a stiff around the house because I try and keep everything clean and calm.  So when I relax and play around in the woods, she thinks its funny.

At night we enjoy looking at the stars and night hiking.  And sometimes I find it funny to show her how we are not alone in the woods by going "spider" hunting.  Just take a flashlight and look for eyes on the ground.  She freaked out the first time she saw that but after I explained that I go camping all the time and have never been bitten by a spider she starts to realize they are not out to get us.

I want to go camping now...

Offline andria

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 08:36:53 AM »
I love camping, but I prefer tents and dirt hahaha.  Have you taken her on a hike and packed a picnic lunch? What are your wife's interests?  Does she like relaxing and the solitude of camping or is she into more adventurous activities? If she is into prepping, try a weekend that hones both of your skills.  I think it would be awesome to camp for a weekend with no material goods except for a backpack.  Start primitive fires, bake bread and prepare meals without electricity or fuel, catch or trap the next meal (if possible), purify water, build a shelter, etc. (I might make an exception and bring a cooler of beer).  I think it would bring two people closer by relying on each other.  Most women like romance and i can't think of a better bonding experience.

Offline Clybrad

• Survivor
    • Skilled Gentlemen Podcast
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 03:25:02 PM »
Something that I have started doing with my wife and friends when they are over is star gazing.  Since I have a smart phone I found an app that lets you find stars by positioning your phone in the general direction as the star you are looking for. 

The app is called Google Sky.  It is free and very easy to use.  Below is a screen shot of it.

nelson96

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 03:40:37 PM »
We need to know more about what interests your wife, but I would not go somewhere that I couldn't >>>>
Prepare  a plant  identification scrapbook. (make sure it's legal in your area.)
They probably wouldn't let you do a lot of other things either.
Do places like that exist?

Offline RetiredUSMC

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 12:00:45 AM »
I love the beer idea. I would put a six pack in the back pack and put it in the stream when I got there!

Glad you found Uranus! 8)

Offline MississippiJarhead

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I never learned from a man who agreed with me.-RAH
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 03:52:09 AM »
I love the beer idea. I would put a six pack in the back pack and put it in the stream when I got there!

Glad you found Uranus! 8)
No flashlight required!

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 05:15:28 AM »
Just went on a backpacking trip with my wife.  She really appreciated everything I did to prepare for the trip.  Her words were,  "All I had to do was pack my underwear"  I packed all the gear including her pack, planned the meals, drove the 5+ hours to get there and set up camp. 

One of our favorite activities on any camping trip is cooking.  We plan fun and tasty meals.  When you are in the woods on your own time you can take the time to prepare a good meal.  We also day hiked and sat around the fire TALKING to each other.  We seldom have the chance to sit and talk now that we have kids.

Be glad your wife is open to the idea of camping!  Not every woman is!

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 09:38:56 AM »
My wife had bad experiences with camping when a kid so was reluctant to go when we first had kids.  Just like Nate related above, I planned and did everything for the first camping trip, including getting good raingear for everyone.  We went to the Olympic rainforest (150 in per year, that is more than 12 feet of rain), in March and it poured rain 24 hours a day for the four days we were there.  She loved it!  We went on short  hikes with the kids, identified as many plants and animal tracks as we could, sat around a campfire telling stories, cooked vegetables and corn in foil on the fire pit grill, and I taught them some basic knots to use around the campsite (square, bowline, taughtline, clove hitch).  My wife was able to have some relaxation time while I cleaned up after meals and when the kids napped.  The kids had a blast playing around the campfire and in the mud puddles.

Now that everyone loves to camp and the kids are grown, longer hikes are the main activity when we camp, but lots of time for swimming, fishing, etc.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 10:11:31 AM »
Something that I have started doing with my wife and friends when they are over is star gazing. 

You beat me to it, but I like these. I got one with my REI divident one year. Use it with a red lens flashlight.

Cedar

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 12:00:02 PM »
Just went on a backpacking trip with my wife.  She really appreciated everything I did to prepare for the trip.  Her words were,  "All I had to do was pack my underwear"  I packed all the gear including her pack, planned the meals, drove the 5+ hours to get there and set up camp. 

One of our favorite activities on any camping trip is cooking.  We plan fun and tasty meals.  When you are in the woods on your own time you can take the time to prepare a good meal.  We also day hiked and sat around the fire TALKING to each other.  We seldom have the chance to sit and talk now that we have kids.

Be glad your wife is open to the idea of camping!  Not every woman is!

Sounds fun.

My biggest obstacle is my job. I'm always in peak work season when my wife likes camping. I basically 'luxury' camp all summer. At least by my standards it is luxury camping. I stay in a 32 year old 18' trailer with no plumbing at remote jobs. On my very infrequent holidays, I take my wife tent camping if her schedule agrees. We are working on winter camping. Since we live in AK, winter camping is a bit different than other locales, but it can be done. So far we've gone camping as late as early November and as early as early April. I bought a big double sleeping bag rated to -25F for us to try this year. I'd like to do some aurora camping this winter.

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Every day, every way, getting better.
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 12:06:56 PM »
I'll second the plant identification idea. I've been using this book, it's helpful for beginners  because you can see your knowledge grow in just one afternoon:

http://www.amazon.com/Botany-Day-Patterns-Method-Identification/dp/1892784351/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1377539931&sr=1-1&keywords=botany+day

The stargazing idea is cool too, I like these cards which have cool details on the back:

http://www.amazon.com/Constellations-Knowledge-Cards-Deck-Pomegranate/dp/0764921436/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1377539967&sr=1-2&keywords=constellation+card

If your wife sketches you could spend a couple hours sketching a creek or mountain. How about knitting around a campfire? Maybe one or both of you could learn one of those hobbies/crafts. Card games are fun and camping is a good time for reading too, just watch out for campfire embers!

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Every day, every way, getting better.
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 11:25:41 AM »
Oh, and here's a podcast episode I ran across yesterday while searching: http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/survival-knowledge-camping

It might be worth a listen.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 11:54:06 AM »
So, did you take her anywhere???

Cedar

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 12:36:23 PM »
The 2 things I can think of that usually make people who don't (think they) like camping are

1. cook BOMB food — use your equipment / know-how / preparedness skills / planning etc to whip up a better meal than you will be able to get at a restaurant and show him/her how awesome campfire cooked food is.

2. Find some unique experience that you'd only be able to do by going out there that would be something that person is interested in. This could be hiking back to some secluded swimming hole that people really don't know about, taking a canoe across a lake to some hiking trail that leads up to a tree-less mountain top with an awesome view of where you just came from, use your camp as a "base" to just drive around exploring an area you've never been to, sleeping and eating at "camp," etc.

I could make a huge list of things I've personally done that got people interested in camping, but it is not worth the time — it needs to be something you and the others would be interested in.

One suggestion for people who have a girlfriend who hates the thought of not having a bathroom — get one of those incontinence chairs (they even make folding ones). If it doesn't fold up, use wingnuts to hold it together and keep the pieces in some sort of storage bag.

Just drop that somewhere private away from your campsite and watch how many people appreciate having a proper throne to enjoy nature when nature calls! I've gotten mad props for bringing one along with me on several trips over the years (car camping).

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 05:33:34 PM »
Oh, and here's a podcast episode I ran across yesterday while searching: http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/survival-knowledge-camping

It might be worth a listen.

Huh, somehow I'd missed that show.  Thanks for pointing it out.

"Water Sports Season" is almost over in the deep South, with "Camping Season" about to begin in a couple of weeks.  Can't wait!