Author Topic: Hugelkultur Bed Picture Thread  (Read 52222 times)

Offline MuddyFork

• Prepper
Hugelkultur Bed Picture Thread
« on: July 02, 2011, 02:17:12 PM »
I don't know if this thread will take off, but here is our Hugelkultur Bed that our young sons and I started on today. We used wood I cut and piled over 7 years ago, before we had kids. We decided not to burn wood in the house while our boys were really little so it set. Well this wood is rotten and using it for a Hugelkultur bed was a no brainer. I used my tiller to loosen up the dirt in a 4' strip, then a shovel, rake, and hoe to remove the dirt. Then we stacked the wood and covered it with the dirt. I will need more dirt I think, but that won't be a problem.  I'm going to stack rip rap rock along the edge like Jack talked about in Episode-693- Creative Gardening here  http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/episode-693-creative-gardening-solutions-for-transitional-or-harsh-environments

This bed is up hill from two small gardens and 50 fruit trees and will also act as a Permaculture Swale when I get it completed. Fortunate or unfortunate I have more rotten wood. :-\

]

]

In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish man devours all he has. 
Proverbs 21:20
If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.
I Timothy 5:8

Offline Bubafat

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Hugelkultur Bed Picture Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 03:19:45 PM »
Very nice...keep us posted on how it works out. 
Inflatable Goat in 2014!

Offline MuddyFork

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 01:11:20 PM »
Thanks.

Got most of the wood covered. I'm going to extend the bed at both ends later on. I seeded buckwheat as a cover crop for a  fall planting of vegtables. Just need a little rain now.

Does anybody else have a Hugelkultur bed to show?
]
In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish man devours all he has. 
If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

Offline Rookinde

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 02:21:40 PM »
Way to go... the pic's are great. Keep us up to date.

Rook
A homestead outside of Wilmington, DE

Offline MuddyFork

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 01:26:05 PM »
Thanks.

Today i started stacked rock along the edge like Jack talked about in eposode 693.  I'm going to use limestone rip rap rock, because it's pretty much the cheapest way to go for me. Not much rock here where I'm at. I like this idea, becuase the rock will help retain and draw moister, help hold heat, and give it a permentate 'frame' that will out last me.
We did get some rain, so when the buckwheat starts growing I'll post another picture.

Hope to see other Hugelkultur Bed soon.

Offline MuddyFork

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 01:45:02 PM »
Found another thread here of a really nice Hugelkultur Bed.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=28463.0

endurance

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 02:27:39 PM »
Just spotted the thread and I'm still working on compiling a whole bunch of pictures to show the process of developing my garden beds this year, but here's one shot I already uploaded:

This picture is of a new rock wall I put in with rock I got from just digging down about 12" (to unyielding bedrock).  You'll notice how in the foreground there's bare soil that's about 12" below the grade going up to the right.  After removing the soil and separating out the rock, I put in about 12-18" of old logs, mostly Ash and Elm on one end, mostly pine on the other, based on what I have available.  The bed is now about 35-40' long and varies from 5-15' wide as it followed the contour of the hillside.  I put about 6" of woodchips and old hay on top of the logs (shown), then added 6" of horse manure, then 12" of top soil to the point where the soil was level with the top of the rock wall.  To the right in the picture is a swale that's about 70' long that I had put in with a bobcat. 

My soil profile is 0-6" 60% sandy loam with 40% 2-6" rock, 7-13" 30-40% sandy loam with 60-70% 2-12" rock.  Decomposing granite with areas of granite coming to the surface.  Occassionally soils to a depth of 14-18", but mostly shallow rocky soils that drain well, but lack organic materials.  The area is covered in ponderosa forest with 15-20% openings.  Soil is slightly acidic, about pH 6-6.5, worse in areas of denser trees, approaching pH 5.5.

I'll try to get up more pics this week, as I have about 12 weeks worth of pictures in my camera that need uploading at the moment.  The spot you're looking at right now has about a half-dozen trees, 40-50 strawberry plants, another 4-5 shrubs, and a variety of garden herbs growing under a 2-3" bed of pine mulch.  It's been a lot of work to get set up and right now I'm drip irrigating 2-3x a week while everything gets established, but I'd suspect by this time next year, I'll be down to 1-2x a week (in an environment that gets about 17" of moisture, mostly in the form of snow, every year).  I'm also growing some veggies this year in this bed because I didn't have other bed space available, but I suspect by next year I'll have new beds in and have the entire bed dedicated to being a perennial forest garden.

endurance

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 01:04:15 PM »
Hey Muddy, I just started a thread on what I did to develop my beds http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=28530.0.  As always, lots of trial and error.

Offline MuddyFork

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 01:17:03 PM »
endurance,
Thanks for posting this.

Offline MuddyFork

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 07:25:08 AM »
Was able to finish putting the riprap down on the side a couple days ago. The buckwheat is starting to come up even though it's only rain once.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 08:06:05 AM »
wow - I like the rocks on the edge!  makes it look really pretty!
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline MuddyFork

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 11:00:39 AM »
Yeah my wife likes it now. She wasn't sure about me building anymore, but now I have the go ahead for more. I think I'm might see how well this one does before I build another. I'm going to extend it on both ends a little so I did put rock on the ends.

Offline TheArmedFarmer

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 08:54:31 AM »
I built a hugelkultur bed in the shape of a mandala garden last year and this year it's doing really well. I took lots of pics and posted it along with a hugel-tutorial as an article on my site.  http://allthingsplants.com/articles/view/dave/96/

endurance

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 09:14:26 AM »
Nice job, Dave.  Thanks for the link.  Looks good.  I like how you used a nitrogen rich mulch, lawnmower clippings, over your logs to help provide a nitrogen source.

Offline TheArmedFarmer

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 10:13:22 AM »
It made a really big difference. I cut the grass down and immediately raked it up and put it in the bed. Within a few weeks the grass clippings had started turning that nice black slimy composty feel and look. I think it made a huge difference with this bed.

The mandala shape is fantastic, too. I love our "hugel bed".  :)

Offline MuddyFork

• Prepper
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 12:34:42 PM »
Thanks for sharing!
I'm new to permaculture and didn't know what a mandala garden was so I looked it up, and I will be building atleast large one. Most of our yard is sloped and "linear gardens" don't work in most places and I'm over 4x square beds.
Thanks

Offline TheArmedFarmer

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 12:36:16 PM »
MuddyFork, it definitely sounds like you're ready for mandala shaped beds.

Congrats on that riprap, by the way. I wish I had access to such quantities of rock.

Offline CountryRootsCityJob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Yeehaw :D (Unicycles require little maintenance)
    • Building Rome... as fast as I can!
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 10:41:49 AM »
Well I don't have any pic's, but I can attest to the Hugelkultur bed with grass clippings!  I randomly decided to make one in my parents backyard, much to my father horror when he discovered I was building a "Termite house."  But, this year the garden is doing almost absolutely nothing and the bed I build it taking off with volunteer tomato's, some green beans, and some sunflowers!  I'm thinking this is a great way to go for gardening, as long as the termite thing isn't a serious threat to the house.
~CRCJ
"Hey!  If you go home, please don't be upset by the mess:(  I made homemade brownies..." - My wonderful wife
~Sometimes God's blessings come dressed as a curse~
"What he needs is a kick in the pants" - Dinky Dao

"Hey, you should start a blog!"-heliotropicmoth

Here's my blog: Building Rome - as fast as I can!

My YouTube channel

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 12:32:05 PM »
I have moved this post to the Permaculture board and made it a sticky.  Keep the pictures coming folks.
Jack Spirko

The Survival Podcast

"If some of our teenage thrill seeker really want to go out and get a thrill.  Let them go up into the north west and let them tangle with a Grizzly bear  or Polar bear or brown bear and get that effect that will cleanse the soul".  ~ Fred Bear

Offline sylvan

• Prepper
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 11:42:13 AM »
Very cool indeed.  I have seen schematics of something similar in my Permacluture book.  I was thinking of building one also using saplings from around the property.  Keep us up to date on how it works out for you.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 11:42:21 PM »
 After listening to Alex Jones recently, I was almost scared to post my huggel kultur pics, but I guess I am either brave, foolish, or too tempted to show off ..

I am going to grow various perenials and greens mixed into these beds, but also ground nuts or other invasive things.

All these beds have 18 inches to 2 feet of logs under them, mainly poplar and some birch. The beauty seems to be I can cut some trees and if I don't use them for firewood in time, they can become huggle logs ..

Bed 1. I burried the base of small trees and all in wooden logs covered with dirt. I figure ground nuts can climb these, or I will cut these trees when they start to grow too big. This bed is partially shaded, but I can expose it to more sun next year but cutting some trees ..

bed 2, small mound. I will probably put logs around it to prevent it from flattening out ..
planted some mints I had previously bought here. My sister said spearmint is highly invasive, so I
created a mini clearing someplace else with partial sun and moved the spearmint there. I just planted a bunch of salad greens,
carrots and so on here for the fall as well

aronia bush enclosed in wire, ground nut (on right) growing up wire:

bed 3, intended for rasberries/groundnut combo I think.

bed 3 from other side with more logs added.
 I somehow realized I could manage to do something without having to rent any heavy equipment. It just takes longer but it
is good exercise. Here, I cart the dirt over rough ground some 300 feet from the pile it was dropped at near the road.  Alot of the logs I carried some 400 feet by hand through the woods last March
when there was 3 feet of snow on the ground using snowshoes of  course. I am still moving logs
all over the place and have had to make sure I don't carry too heavy a log as my back can bother me
sometimes. There's a few green logs mixed in here, but I try to use older ones which farther back in the woods
there seems to be a bunch of those. Poplar seems to manage to leave dead logs all over the place somehow
more than other trees, at least on my land.

look non conformist horders/terrorists at work, using dirt compost ! People trying to grow food outside the system !
It can't work !

bed 4, different clearing, intended for Jerusalem Artichoke/ground nut combo.
This pile is going to be smaller as I had to cart the dirt some 600 or 700 feet through the woods.
I want to isolate JA as they may be too invasive ..

Ground nut growing up a telephone pole. Isn't that beautiful ? Years ago I had
a great fondness for brook trout. I still do sort of, but more a surfer than fisherman
these days, but I have developed a similar fondness for the ground nut.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 12:11:26 AM by surfivor »

Offline Remman

• Survivor
  • Forty Deuce
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 01:06:49 PM »
Tag for later viewing pleasure.

Offline MuddyFork

• Prepper
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2011, 02:47:52 PM »
This is a pic of a trailer load of logs for my beds and the tools I use to get them out of the woods. My 11" Sandvik Log Tongs I use are almost worth their weight in gold. I can 'easily' drag, load, and unload a trailer load of 6' logs with them. Thought I'd share this affordable tool with everybody.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 07:34:09 PM »
Thanks everyone for sharing their pictures. I am going to build a Hugelkulture bed in my back yard. Here is my situation:

1) I live in an urban area with a 50'X150' lot. Situated east-west on the long side. Yeah, it is damn small.
2) The area in the back yard is on the North-West corner and is L shaped. I have a 4'X9' area to put the bed in and have room to walk all around. The bed will be situated east-west. There are some other beds around the perimeter of the back. I planted with peppers this year and put in two blackberry bushes. ;-)
3) There was an overgrown bush/tree in the far north-west corner that I cut down and just finished digging out the damn stump. The trunk is probably 6" in diameter.

My next steps are:
1) Dig a 4'X9' trench 3 feet deep.
2) Bury the stump, trunk and some branches in the trench so that they are a minimum of 2-3" below grade. I want future owners to have the option of leveling the area and not run into that damn stump! ;-)
3) Cover with compost and refill with the dirt.
4) Construct a 6" raised bed above grade and fill with compost and the remaining dirt.
5) Come spring, I will be ready to plant beans to get the nitrogen back into the soil.

Lastly, I am going to plant an orange or peach tree in the northwest corner where the bush was.

Any comments on my plan? Will this function as intended? Any suggestions on the composition of the compost, keeping in mind I will be getting from the local Home Depot or nursery. I think Jack did a show on what types and mix of compost to put in new beds, but I cannot recall.

Please comment if I am being stupid in this plan. It is not too late to just construct a standard raised bed and use the "Square Foot Gardening" method.

Member Support Brigade Canceled

Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it.

Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

JoeD

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2011, 09:06:27 AM »
Please comment ......

What you are planning sounds pretty good to me.  My suburban property seems pretty close in size to yours and I've done four raised beds using the hugelkulture principles.  My main beds are double stacked cinder block (from Lowes/HD) which give good height, I initially dug out about a foot down and removed the soil to give me some extra room.  I collected logs (4'-5' long by 6"- 8") from trees being cut down by the city.  I just threw the logs into the bottom and filled with a mix of lasagna gardening style material.  Seems to work good but probably won't see the true benefits for another couple of years as the logs breakdown.

I've been collecting logs from my city worker friends for years and also use them by burying them almost all the way in the ground (leave a little showing) around all my other yard plants/beds.  This isn't truly hugelculturing but I'm thinking it is a good way to help keep the soil rich.

Offline ModernSurvival

• Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2011, 08:32:17 PM »
I am chronicling all the stuff I am doing with Hugelkultur, here are parts one, two and three so far.  Many more additions to follow.

Part One

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIFB2mXTMfY

Part Two

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N2Q-esXVP4

Part Three

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO303KfdBBU

More to come soon.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 08:39:35 PM by ModernSurvival »
Jack Spirko

The Survival Podcast

"If some of our teenage thrill seeker really want to go out and get a thrill.  Let them go up into the north west and let them tangle with a Grizzly bear  or Polar bear or brown bear and get that effect that will cleanse the soul".  ~ Fred Bear

Offline MuddyFork

• Prepper
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2012, 04:22:38 PM »

We went out to zone 5 and got some more logs for the beds we're going to be building this year. It's a great time of the year to get decaying wood; you can see the logs from a ways off, no bugs, no ivy, and it's not HOT!

Offline ModernSurvival

• Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2012, 04:54:55 PM »
MuddyFork, Ain't it great.  Working on this stuff is so much easier right now. 
Jack Spirko

The Survival Podcast

Offline MuddyFork

• Prepper
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2012, 05:20:44 PM »
Yes it is!
Jack, thanks for the work you do getting all this great info out. :)
Live by example.

Offline tomh

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Learning through trial and error
    • INCHING DOWN THE ROAD TO SELF-RELIANCE
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2012, 06:27:31 PM »
Here is my experiment with Hugelkultur. So far so good.

The hugelkultur swale is really coming around. I look forward to using it as a foundation to starting my food forest.
Working it out with shovel in hand