Author Topic: Are some .22 rounds less powerful than they used to be?  (Read 1403 times)

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
Are some .22 rounds less powerful than they used to be?
« on: July 04, 2011, 07:55:16 PM »
Hello!  Today I got a chance to try out the new scope on my marlin 60.  Sighted it in this afternoon and shot a woodchuck at 40 yards in the early evening.  It took me one shot to the head to stop it and 5 more to finish it off.  Shot one was at 40 yards and shots 2-6 were at 2 feet.  I was using bulk federal hollow points 38 grain 1260fps at the muzzle.  The woodchuck was about the size of a cottontail.  It is now in my freezer.

My question is this:  Do you guys think that 22 ammo has become less powerful than it used to be?  The ammo I am shooting now was purchased during the "ammo shortage" a few years back.  It may say on the box 38 grains and 1260 fps but is it really?  I remember as a kid (15 years ago) shooting the same brand and type of ammo and killing rabbits, muskrats and woodchucks with one shot.

I have some federal lightning ammo that is solid bullets at 40 grains and 1240fps at the muzzle.  I might make this my woodchuck killing round from now on.

Offline Squidi

• Fledgling Prepper
Re: Are some .22 rounds less powerful than they used to be?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 08:44:06 PM »
Sounds like you need a chronometer and a scale.

Maybe a pair of pliers.  There probably isn't a totally safe way to get the bullets of out of loaded .22 ammo.  Maybe just shoot them into water and recover them?