Photobucket

Author Topic: Forced Air Heaters - Propane vs. Kerosene  (Read 2289 times)

Offline randelw

• Prepper
Forced Air Heaters - Propane vs. Kerosene
« on: July 05, 2011, 03:48:41 PM »
Mods please place this in the correct area if this is missplaced. 

Looking for input on pros and cons of forced air heaters for "backup". My home is all electric. I have a small kerosene heater to supplement on very cold days. My emergency heat plans need some work.  Im looking for mulitpurpose. I have several 20lb propane tanks mainly for grilling. The kersosene heater is the only thing that I own that uses kerosene. I see that propane has lots of cool items that can be run off a 20lb tanks.  Then there is storage shelf lifes and rate of rotation. I want a forced air heater for my garage/workshop. Just which one to get??? What are your thoughts? :)
I have a riddle: If you're going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to re-shingle your roof?

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
Re: Forced Air Heaters - Propane vs. Kerosene
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 04:08:12 PM »
Get the biggest one you can afford. I cant remember the brand or btu's of the one I have. My shop is 850 square ft. I fire up the turbo heater as I call it and get it nice and toasty then shut it off. I then light a kerosene heater which keeps it warm in the shop for hours. I would check the pawn shops. probably get a good deal on one right now being its summer.
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 04:17:43 PM »
I have both a 24k btu kerosun and a 18k btu Mr. Heater propane.  At this point I lean toward the propane because the flexibility with fuel tank sizes (from 1 pound bottles to 500 gallon tanks in the yard and everything in between).  The fuel also does not go bad by holding on to moisture like kerosene, although five year shelf life on kerosene isn't bad.  It's just easier for me to rotate my propane on a regular basis with the gas BBQ than it is to use propane for anything else besides emergency heating.  For doing chores in the unheated garage in the winter, the propane heater is easier to use.  I keep four 20 pound bottles and a case of 6 one pounders and feel comfortable that that's 1-2 weeks of heat in even the coldest weather.  For my kerosun, it would take a 55 gallon drum to get two weeks (4 gallons per day vs. 2.5-4.5 days with propane).  The Mr. Heater is also more adjustable and with D-cell batteries operating the fan, it really moves the heat around more effectively.

Now, with all that said, I have one cold room in my house that I struggle to keep warm on the coldest days of winter.  For safety, convenience and redundency, I'm thinking of spending a few hundred bucks and getting a wall mounted propane heater.  I'll hook up a single 100 pound tank that should last me several weeks and it's operated on a thermostat, so it holds the room at a constant temperature, rather than the on/off (low medium and high settings) options the others offer.  I might have to fill that tank 1-2x a year and my existing 20 pound tanks will still serve as a back up.  With a 500 gallon tank, I'd be set for a winter's worth of use. 

If someone in Colorado want's to come and remove a natural gas garage heater, I have one for the taking.  It's installed (improperly), but doesn't look like it was used after it was installed sometime in the early 1950s.  It was never vented properly and the only way to vent it properly would involve putting a vent through the new guest room addition we're planning.  Somehow I think the wifey isn't going to likey that idear. ;)
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline randelw

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 10:37:28 AM »
Looks like its pawn shop and auction time. I think I like the idea of a propane torpedo heater. Thank you guys for your input.  :)
I have a riddle: If you're going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to re-shingle your roof?