Author Topic: More women want to give birth at home  (Read 4235 times)

Offline dep190

• Dedicated Contributor
More women want to give birth at home
« on: July 06, 2011, 03:05:34 PM »
I put this here instead of first aid I thought you lady preppers might like the article!

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/national_world/stories/2011/07/06/more-women-pushing-to-give-birth-at-home.html?sid=101

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: More women want to give birth at home
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 03:19:09 PM »
i had a hospital birth (although natural) with number 1 and saw all sorts of intervention on my son.  not cuz there was anything wrong, but because there might be something wrong - he had a little bit of fluid in his lungs (well, duh, that is because the natural Heimlich that happens when he is pushed out naturally didn't happen; he was pulled "helped").  not that he actually had any problems - they watched him in NICU for 3 days.
birth center for the next two.  Loved it.  loved my midwife, loved the "bed and breakfast" feel of it.  (oh, btw, #3 also had a bit of fluid in her lungs, and was perfectly fine)
at home for #4.  Don't know if I would do home again - I was too stressed being "hostess" to relax and go with the flow.  But if it was a choice between home and hospital?  home home home....

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 04:55:40 PM »
Funny just like us moms/women giving birth and being worried about being a good hostess!  hee hee ;D  I always always wanted to have home births.  Just hate hospitals and such.  Glad I didn't I would have lost both my sons #1 and 4yrs later #2. Glad I had at them at the hospital. shh our secret I didn't really say that did I?  Both boys had problems #1 had major surgery @ 3 hrs old #2 Dr signed the death certificate before he left so he wouldn't have to come back to the hospital.  Both are fine now 31 yrs old & 27. We were lucky, had they been born at home neither one would be here today. 

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 08:06:25 PM »
It is definitely a tough call. I know a lady who has given birth to 5 children at home with no problem. I know another lady who decided to have her 4th child at home after the first 3 were born in a hospital and there was no problem.

In the case of my own children, #1 would have died at home. #2 would have been fine. I would have lost my wife at home with #3, but he would have been fine. #4 was born blue and with absolutely no signs of life. The Dr. intervened and 20 minutes later had his little motor running. He is one ball of fire today.

Personally, I am glad all of mine were born in the hospital. Was it ideal? No. But at least I have 4 boys, not 2 and my wife is still with me.

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The purpose of life is a life of purpose
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 08:52:05 PM »
Yup. I'm in nursing school now (BSN= 1 yr to go) and it isn't cheap. I keep hearing over and over that what is taught in school is nothing like what you learn ON THE JOB. But a degree is required for the job so it isn't negotiable. I've learned a lot in my courses like pathophysiology and organic chem,  and all the other nursing courses etc, but I think it is a bit much for an undergraduate degree especially with the limited scope of an RN. Maybe when I get out in the field though I'll feel differently.

Offline Denim Girl

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 08:59:59 PM »
I was too stressed being hostess to relax and go with the flow. 

I just chose a trusted neighbor/friend who also had hers @ home and put her in charge.  I did not  worry a bit about the house.

Your midwife should have insisted that you leave the hostessing to someone else - if you do not have any friends to do it, then husband or even the midwife assistant/trainee that they bring along.  Really, I am not sure what you mean by hostessing anyway - midwives are self sufficient and your husband should be able to fend for himself for a day or so and any friends that you might have invited over should know to stay out of your way and get their own drink of water or crackers.  Same for the kids - they should be assigned to someone else so you can focus on the job at hand.

I have apprenticed as a midwife and I am convinced that most of the so called emergencies in a hospital are in fact caused my unnecessary medical intervention.   Herr doctor just can not wait patiently and let nature take its course.  Doctors seem to have this weird thing about scheduling births..

Offline elcoyote

• Gypsy Prepper Squad
  • Survivor
    • Crap! I'm An Adult!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 09:22:02 PM »
I have mixed feelings on the matter. On the one hand, a child is so important that I don't even want to take the small chance that I need to be at a hospital. On the other hand, doctors are so pushy about what they want, and you could research your doctor, and get one that will go with your "plan", and then you go into labor two weeks early, and your doc is on vacation, and you're stuck with some jerk who's pushing a c-section.

It's a tough call. I won't have a home birth, because I can't take the chance of risking my child's life for my principles. However, I also think I'd like a birth center, where I can control the circumstances of the birth.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 06:59:27 AM »
Herr doctor just can not wait patiently and let nature take its course.  Doctors seem to have this weird thing about scheduling births..
Sorry to intrude ladies, thought I would throw some local color on the scheduling births thing.  I live in a small town (18,000 maybe).  There is one hospital within a 40 minute drive (its here in town) and it has only two anesthesiologist.  So yeah with the availability of anesthesiologist support they do try to schedule things.  My wife and daughter got MRSA in the hospital so I am not a huge hospital fan.  But thought I would throw out the availability of key personnel in some circumstances as one reasons why doctors try to schedule things.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 07:21:37 AM »
I just chose a trusted neighbor/friend who also had hers @ home and put her in charge.  I did not  worry a bit about the house.

Your midwife should have insisted that you leave the hostessing to someone else - if you do not have any friends to do it, then husband or even the midwife assistant/trainee that they bring along.  Really, I am not sure what you mean by hostessing anyway

I wanted to make sure that everyone was fed, that midwife and assistant were not just sitting around; and they arrived at 4pm... I didn't even start getting hard core about the whole thing until about 11.  I felt really bad about that.  There was a
big snow storm that day, and midwife has since said that she was glad I called her early - she knew I was not going fast, so she could take her time on the usually-45-minute-drive and pass the semis on the side of the road.  And she could do it in daylight.  But I still felt bad the whole evening that nothing was happening and I was "wasting" their time.  mentally, I know that is what they do, but I still felt guilty the whole time that I did not have "activities" planned.  next time, I am going back to the birth center.  I like the birth center.

Offline ladygaura

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 11:30:17 AM »
My firstborn was stillborn in a hospital, so the second I opted to go with a midwife at home who had an excellent record. Best decision! He was born just fine and is very healthy. It's not for everyone-- if you have a history or risk of complications, you need to consider that. But for those who are relatively healthy, a homebirth with a midwife is a very empowering experience.

Offline Canadian

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 01:29:42 PM »
I am the mother of 7 children - 4 of whom were born in the comfort and safety of our home (#3,4,5,&6).  Only each Mother knows for sure what is best for her and her baby.  An experience Midwife is an important member of the birthing team, whether it occur at home or birthing centre or hospital.   Inform yourself - knowledge is empowering!  Then you'll be prepared to make the right decision.