Author Topic: How to shop for a rifle?  (Read 4044 times)

Offline Dymmesdale

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
How to shop for a rifle?
« on: July 08, 2011, 09:36:22 PM »
I have never been hunting before, but my mate is going to be taking me out hopefully this year. I will be needing a rifle, and I don't really know what I should be looking for. I was hoping to keep it under a couple hundred bucks if possible.

On a somewhat related note, eBay is showing multiple pretty decent-looking bows for under $50...is this just what used bows go for, or should I be suspicious?

Thanks for any advice, sorry if this topic has been posted a zillion times; if so mods feel free to delete it :)

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: How to shop for a rifle?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 08:04:26 AM »
Talk about a wide, Wide, WIDE open question!  But I'm only on my third cup of coffee and still feeling a little fuzzy, so I'll take a swing.
(1) Ask your mate (BTW, is that as in "biological" or "good friend"?  Doesn't matter.)  That person will know what you're hunting and what you'll need.
(2) In lieu of an answer from 1, what are you hunting?  That really, really matters.
(3) Again in lieu of an answer from 1, dig around and do some homework.  Here's a place to start:  http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/episode-380-rifles-shotguns-and-handguns-for-modern-survival

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 01:33:40 PM »
I have never been hunting before, but my mate is going to be taking me out hopefully this year. I will be needing a rifle, and I don't really know what I should be looking for. I was hoping to keep it under a couple hundred bucks if possible.

On a somewhat related note, eBay is showing multiple pretty decent-looking bows for under $50...is this just what used bows go for, or should I be suspicious?

Thanks for any advice, sorry if this topic has been posted a zillion times; if so mods feel free to delete it :)

Odd turn of a phrase - "my mate" - interesting  Lets start with phase 1

Know the game you are going hunting for
Know the laws of the land about what caliber / firearms are allowed.
Know your budget
Know your skills
Know the type of land you will be hunting (heavy woods, wide open spaces, etc) 

You might be able to find a nice bow for 50 dollars - esp the simple re-curve style. 

Offline The Sage of Monticello

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 02:07:34 AM »
I always enjoy handling the rifle in person and feeling how the stock fits to my body, and cycling the bolt, checking out the finish on the barrel and feeling the weight of the rifle overall. That's part of the enjoyment process for me.  :D

It's relative to personal preference. If I were just to cold buy my weapons I'd probably find myself frustrated and trading them away after finding things I disliked after inspecting them for the first time.

Caliber is vital for me because I simply do not like the recoil of a .308. That's just me, my preference. My first rifle was a .308 and it's now a back-up and not my primary. So knowing the caliber you like is important.

I have several bolt rifles in my collection of the same brand because I prefer the feel of how a bolt cycles versus other brands.

I also bought an AR hunting rifle after testing out the same model that my Dad bought. I will use my new baby for the first time in September with my tags.

Offline Bubafat

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 09:59:52 AM »
Assuming you are in the US and not hunting Moose/Elk/Grizzly's I would go for a smaller caliber like a 243, 260, or even 30-30.  The guns are lighter and have less recoil.  While you can't reach out much past 200 yds with a 30-30, 200 yds is a long shot especially for someone new. 

As far as which gun, most modern firearms will deliver the accuracy needed for hunting so it all comes down to what feels good to you.

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 11:21:53 AM »
A couple of questions:

What state do you live in?
What is your stature?
Are you good at manipulating things - tools, appliances, gear shifts, etc.
Do you have any physical limitations, eg., rotator cup damage, weak upper body strength, etc.
What game are you hunting, and what technique will you be using (tree stand, etc.)

You don't have to answer these here, but they are something to keep in mind and discuss with your hunting partner.

Remember, bigger isn't always better. Just because he/she likes to lug around a .45 - 70 - 305 (a cartridge about as big as your middle finger), doesn't mean you have to.

Before you go out, make sure you take an NRA Hunter's Safety Course, and get some "bang switch" time with your chosen gun. You should be comfortable shooting before you even think about going after live game. You owe that to the animal.

Good luck, and good hunting

soupbone

Offline loyalty4eva

• Survivor
  • MSB
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 10:22:33 AM »
I have a feeling he doesn't live in the US the term mate is used big time in other countrys EU and AU I beleave.

But yeah we need more info. I would bring your buddy with you to a gun shop see what he likes and try and hold a few guns and see what kind of gun your buddy is using and maybe even get the same thing if it works for you.

Offline JarHeadTed

• Prepper
    • Ted's Place
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 01:33:50 PM »
On the bow question.  I purchased a PSE Nova for $100.  It is a good bow.  There is crap out there and you are taking a risk.

I suggest you go to as many stores that sell bows as possible and shoot the bows you are interested in buying on eBay.  Yes, the bow on eBay is a used version and probably a few years older than the new one in the shop but it will give you an idea of what you can expect.

Next, watch a few of these $50 bows until the auction closes.  The prices jump significantly in the last 24 hours of the auction and continue to speed up until the very end.  Be aware of how much is too much for the bow you are bidding on so you don't end up paying too much.

Last, when you do purchase a bow, remember it is used and take it to an archery shop to get it checked out before you shoot it.  I had to replace the bowstring on the one I bought.

All that said, it is possible to get some great deals on eBay, just make sure you know what you're bidding on and don't bid on anything when the seller won't post a picture or at least email a picture to you.