Author Topic: Policy against posting links only has been added to the TOS  (Read 3772 times)

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
The new policy is:

Do not start a new thread, or reply to an existing thread with a post containing a link to another web page and nothing else.

We do want you to post links when relevant. If you want to post a link, be sure to share with the members why you are posting this link. Provide us with an idea of what is in the link. Tell us why we may find this link interesting. Give us you opinion of the content to start the discussion.

This applies to all threads, be it videos, music, pictures, news stories, a ‘how to,’ a warning to be on the lookout, or something related to preparedness.

Posts containing links only will most often be deleted. The member will be notified and reminded not to violate this policy.

If you find such a post, please report it to the moderator. Every post on the forum contains a link enabling you to do this. Do not reply to such posts.

The posts already in place will be left as is unless found to violate the TOS in other ways.

see Policy regarding link only posts on the TSP forum.
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
Re: Policy against posting links only has been added to the TOS
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 10:43:45 AM »
Is something like the following acceptable?

The lovely ladies of "Firefly" given the Alphonse Mucha treatment.

Or would you like to see more detailed and specific information?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 10:56:43 AM by Nicodemus »

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 11:14:29 AM »
If I found this in the "Firefly Fans?" thread, IMO, it would be sufficent. It is enough in the general context of the thread to be understood by those fans.

The idea of the policy is to let everyone know what kind of link they are clicking on and why they may want too.
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 11:45:57 AM »
If I found this in the "Firefly Fans?" thread, IMO, it would be sufficent. It is enough in the general context of the thread to be understood by those fans.

That's what I was gonna say. 8)

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 12:04:02 PM »
Ok, Cool Beans.

I just wanted to make sure as I tend to link like that a lot and I wanted to know if I needed to change my habits.

Offline MrThirteen

• Survivor
    • Thirteensworld
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 02:19:19 PM »
I was wondering if the whole link could be the description? Say I just started a new thread like this:
Subject: Check out this awesome article by Jack
Body: Here Jack talks about everything Jack talks about.  You should read and listen to what he says and may you own judgement. I personally find most if not all his topics interesting and thought provoking. Click here to find out more.

The above example just links to the main survial podcast website but the link is just the highlighted text of my thoughts and why I think you should click it.  Technically it's just a link, however in the link is the description.

I was wondering if posts like that would be considered acceptable?

Until the next time,

Thirteen

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »
I was wondering if the whole link could be the description?

Sure, no problem.  As long as there's some adequate clue about what the link is about, it doesn't matter how the info is presented.

Noah

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 05:05:26 AM »
Thank you for this new policy.  I never click on a link without some description first.  I hate when a thread has a title like "Check this out!" or "Best video ever!" then the message is just some link.  If you want to start a discussion, give a brief synopsis on the link and possibly your opinion.  Otherwise, most people just move on to something more interesting.  If you don't care enough about it to comment then I don't care enough to click it.

Offline will3117

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 08:41:40 AM »
     I find that when a link is changed from the original i.p. address format,  I tend to not use it as I have no way of knowing where the hyper link is directing me, also if the link were to break it is a simple matter to copy and paste parts of the link and still find the info,  this can not be done when the link is changed to a descriptive format instead of the original i.p. info..Just my two cents

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 07:25:01 AM »
     I find that when a link is changed from the original i.p. address format,  I tend to not use it as I have no way of knowing where the hyper link is directing me, also if the link were to break it is a simple matter to copy and paste parts of the link and still find the info,  this can not be done when the link is changed to a descriptive format instead of the original i.p. info..Just my two cents
If you hover over the link without clicking you'll see the address appear in the lower left corner of your browser before you click.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline Jeff NH

• Survivor
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me.
    • Free State Project
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 07:55:13 AM »
If you hover over the link without clicking you'll see the address appear in the lower left corner of your browser before you click.

Endurance is correct. And this is good practice anyway (brief hover over a link before clicking) or even if you think you see a link to one site, it might be a link to a different site. For example, this appears to be a link to http://www.splcenter.org/ but of course in reality it is a link back to the survival podcast.