Author Topic: Ammo storage in car myth busted?  (Read 3445 times)

Offline Asclepius

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Klaatu barada nikto.
    • Prep Roll
Ammo storage in car myth busted?
« on: July 10, 2011, 10:02:09 PM »
Hello. A few years ago I went looking on the internet for information on storing ammunition in a car. I wanted to know if it was safe, and if the ammo would deteriorate in the extreme temperatures. I found that there was no good information on the topic, and instead only personal anecdotes about rotating ammo every X months.

I figured that cops would know something about the subject, since some of their guns stay in their cars, so I asked my local, county and state cops if what their agency policies were on keeping ammo in the car, and none of them had policies. Only the county agency would sometimes burn through their duty ammo at the range when the budget allowed.

I have heard stories of decades old ammo dumps being unearthed in places like the phillipines, with the ammo still in good shape, but I still have never had any proof. Last week I found a zip-loc bag full of factory remington JHP .45 which I forgot about in my truck for something like over 2 years. This ammo spent an additional 6 months in my gun, which was often left in my truck, before I cycled it out and stashed it in a rubbermaid tub in my truck. I lived on the coast for about a year of that time before moving to Idaho.

Today I shot about 50 rounds of that ammo out of my XD with zero misfires or malfunctions. This ammo spent an estimated 2.5 years in extreme heat, cold, and salt air. As a result of this unscientific, unplanned study I now believe there to be no problem with storing quality, factory rifle or pistol ammo in a car (I make this distinction from shotgun shells because I have had issues with neglected shotgun ammo in the past.)

Offline tween

• a.k.a. Gunkid (banned)
  • Prepper
  • Banned Due to ToS Violations and for being Gunkid
Re: Ammo storage in car myth busted?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 07:02:57 PM »
I once left some .45 cast bullet reloads in a glass of water for a week, meaning to fire them the next day, but I forgot. I had sealed around the case mouths and primers with model airplane "dope", and all 7 fired perfectly. I later froze the same glass of water and .45's, thawed them out and the same result. Good ammo can take a lot of extremes of temps and other conditions.

Offline r1kk1

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 07:57:35 AM »
Certain powders are more temperature sensitive than others. Chronograph will bare this out. I've watch velocities escalate when left in the sun for a while compared to kept in the shade.

Blue Dot was one when the temperature dropped, would cause blooper loads in my shotgun.

just some observations,

r1kk1

Offline tomtom

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 09:10:27 AM »
Very interesting.