Author Topic: The Camelbak thread  (Read 12847 times)

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
The Camelbak thread
« on: July 20, 2011, 07:54:09 PM »
I thought we could use one.  I'll kick it off.

How do you dry your Camelbak?

Offline Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: The Camelbak thread
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 08:56:30 PM »
take a wire coat hangar. hold the hook in one hand. grab the straight part of the hangar opposite the hook and pull apart to a long, skinny loop.

slide the loop into the Camelbak and turn 90 degrees to the wide dimension. that usually opens it enough to keep the plastic apart so it can dry.

leave it on the kitchen counter to dry until the next run or the wife yells at me to move my junk somewhere else.

you can play around with making the loop a shallow C or S shape to hold the bag open as much as possible.

Offline pac1911

• Senior Survivalist
    • Safety Solutions Academy
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 09:02:50 PM »
I grab the egg beater out of the kitchen tools container and jam that up and in.  Hang it upside down.  the other thing is mine doesn't set around too much.  I'm usually filling it up for another go around before it is dry.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 09:04:45 PM »
To wash out the bladder and hose I use hot water and two tablespoons of bleach. I put the fill cap back on and give the bladder a good shaking. Then I press on the bladder and hold the bite valve to squeeze solution through the tube. Finally I drain the solution and then rinse a couple of times with hot water.

To make a tool to help dry out the bladder I wound a microfiber towel up in a piece of doubled over wire. It allows me push the towel through the fill port and soak up most of leftover water.

To get most of the moisture out of the tube, I tie a small piece of cotton ball onto fishing line, snake the line through the tube, and pull the cotton ball through. I then follow this up with a length of fishing line with small piece of paper towel tied to the end. I sometimes have to repeat this a few times.

After that I wad up a couple of paper towels and stuff them into the bladder. This both holds the bladder open, keeping the sides from touching and soaks up moisture while the bladder hangs to dry.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 06:11:43 AM »
If I've had gatoraid in it, I'll rinse through a couple of times first, but if it's just water I won't bother with a rinse.  Pour out all of the water that will pour, including what's in the drinking tube.  Then shove a wadded-up paper towel in through the main opening, and inflate through the nipple.  This gives the towel room to move around.  Shake, take out damp paper towel.  Then repeat.  Take off angle valve & nipple, then hang bladder on something convenient and upright, like a dowel leaning into a quiet corner.

If things have gotten really bad (like with week old gatoraid that's turned into camelbak wine), I'll first fill with warm water and a splash of bleach and let it soak a half-hour, then rinse and clean as above.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 06:24:57 AM »
BTW, Camelbak has recently changed their bladder size/dimensions, and the old style is getting scarce.  After having my old bladder leak all over at last weekend's 3-gun match, I've been looking.  The few old style ones I've found are called "long neck water beasts" and going for $27-ish plus shipping (another $12, yow!) -- not a lot less than you can find NOS older models on close-out.  The new style is called "Antidote" and looks shorter and flatter.

If anybody stumbles across a close-out deal on the old style bladders, please post.

Offline Nicodemus

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 07:58:35 AM »
BTW, Camelbak has recently changed their bladder size/dimensions, and the old style is getting scarce.

If anybody stumbles across a close-out deal on the old style bladders, please post.

I did not know this. I've had my Camelbak Thermobak for about 5 or 6 years and while it's still in pretty good shape, I'd hate to be without a replacement bladder.

If I see any closeouts, I'll hit the thread.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 07:26:20 AM »
So cleaning with a splash of bleach doesn't affect taste, right? 

What about vinegar?

I would rinse it out ultra well with either.  But, really, no taste?

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 09:07:38 AM »
So cleaning with a splash of bleach doesn't affect taste, right? 

Oh, it leaves a little taste, but it's nothing bad.  As you pointed out, it needs a good rinsing and that helps.  I generally try not to use bleach, because I try to wash things out soon after using gatoraid, but sometimes there isn't time, it gets forgotten, etc.  But the bleach does kill almost everything and I'll take a slight bleach taste over a stomach bug any day.

Offline Pa-Pathfinder

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 07:08:17 PM »
I rinse with clean water and a little bleach, and I store mine in the freezer, I never try to dry it out.  I just drain the water, empty the hose, and fold it up in the freezer, been doing this for years with no problems.

HumeMan

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 07:21:44 AM »
I rinse with clean water and a little bleach, and I store mine in the freezer, I never try to dry it out.

I do this too!  Done it for many years and it works great!  This, in my opinion, is the only reliable way to ensure nothing nasty grows inside while storing.

I first saw this idea in a video on the Eastern Mountain Sports website.  Allegedly, this is what all the "professional" backpackers do.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 07:56:26 PM »
Here is a thread on whether to use a Camelbak in a tactical vest or not. 

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=28427.0

Offline Nicodemus

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 08:20:32 AM »
I use my Camlbak Thermobak 3L with a tactical vest.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 05:38:51 PM »

I *knew* that if I ruminated on the problem for long enough a solution would turn up:
http://www.amazon.com/CamelBak-90382-Long-Neck-Water-Beast/dp/B00412HV7S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311895628&sr=8-1
They've got a few of the old-style 70's left, a few more 100's.

With shipping, $25.50 for a 70oz; that's entirely reasonable and it's on the way.  That'll get me 5 more years' use out of the current pack (which is holding up fine, btw) then I'll look around for something new circa 2016.

Offline Freshman Preppy

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 11:17:39 PM »
I take the tube and mouth piece off and zap the tube with my air compressor to dry it out.  I also use the wire hanger trick BUT, be careful; use plain wire hangars.  Once I used a white, wire hangar and later found out the white paint will flake off from bending. Yuck!

Offline Huckleberry

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 09:11:05 AM »
I just bought one of the new 3L Antidote ones, it actually looks pretty sweet so far.  It has some arms on the side that are supposed to assist in "inflating" the bag, to help it dry out.  Of course they advise that you purchase their "Cleaning and Drying" system, which is basically a plastic hanger that attaches to the tube port so you can hang thing in the closet or whatever.  I wanna say that thing was around $20 by it's self. No thanks.

I like the freezer idea, I'll be trying that out.  This is my first Camelbak, and I'm loving it already.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 10:31:38 AM »
I use a Nalgene 3L bladder and only put water in it. I have never cleaned or dried it and don't have any problems with taste or growth. It does get used almost every day, so that helps keep it rinsed out.

Offline delta69alpha

• Prepper
    • PAw productions
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 05:25:54 AM »
Here is a thread on whether to use a Camelbak in a tactical vest or not. 

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=28427.0

Ive been using that same vest for a few years.
Most 3 l bladders will fit in the internal pouch. However.
I added a cheap condor hydration carrier to the back. This did two things-
stiffing up the back and getting the bladder extra support/protection
 it also gave me more space.

I run hydra storm bladders in in most of the time ( got them cheap 3 for 9$ 2 years ago).
I also run the old style platypus bladders in them.
My MULE is my GHB and i have had zero issues with the bladder that came with it. It is the only bladder that i have that doesnt get funky over time.
i dont have to dry or wash mine as i use them or make a point to rotate the h20 every 6 months or so.
yymv

Offline marauder

• Survivor
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2011, 03:38:04 PM »
Treat yourselves and get yourself a Source bladder. Best of the bunch, by far.

http://source-military.com/

Offline arrowbreaker

• Survivor
  • MSB & TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 04:41:53 PM »
The Camelbak cleaning kits work rather well - a brush that reaches every nook and cranny, a long flexible coil with a brush end (like a rifle pull-through) for the hose, disinfecting tablets (bleach etc. will do just fine) and a device to hold it open that has a hook so you can hang it to dry.

No I don't sell Camelbak, I just get them ordered for my crew at work as we use Camelbak's all year round (Mining Exploration in Western Australia)

Offline Herew

• Survivor
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 08:35:39 PM »
I usually just pour out what I can and hang it upside down until it's time to use it again. If I forgot to empty it out for a while, I'll shake a little baking soda in it with some water, shake, and empty. But I think I might be doing the freezer thing from now on. Does anyone know if the "ION SILVER" does anything in the bladder? Is it just a marketing scheme?

Offline Sequanti

• Survivor
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2012, 08:36:08 PM »
I've never given it too much thought. I only put clean water in it. When I am done I swish some warm tap water around in it, and set it on the counter to dry. I either stuff a few paper towels in it to pull out some moisture or do the coat hanger thing. I don't put them away with any moisture and I have not had a problem.

Would the freezer harm the plastic long-term? Seems like it could crack.