Author Topic: Winchester Model 12 as a bugout bag gun?  (Read 2026 times)

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I can be an ankle biter too!
Winchester Model 12 as a bugout bag gun?
« on: July 22, 2011, 06:22:56 PM »
So I put on layaway a ratty model 12 that I am going to turn into my BOB gun.  The thing that I like about the Model 12 is that it splits at the receiver, and both the tube mag and the barrel come off in one piece.  Not the I have forgotten about the trusty .22, which will be in my wife's bag. I have had this idea for a while but I haven't found the gun to do it with.  So the plan is to cut the barrel down to 19" and cut an inch off the stock.  Unfortunately this will remove all of the choke.  I think that this gives me some better options, rather then going the 2 - .22s.  Any ideas or things to know in advance from anyone that has done anything like this?

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • One day my forge will be finished.
Re: Winchester Model 12 as a bugout bag gun?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 09:05:30 PM »
never done it....sounds good though
Contributing to TSP Forum since October 19, 2008.

Offline technicalanarchy

• Senior Survivalist
  • That's Pep in my profile pic
    • Response Technical
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 10:25:20 PM »
Sounds cool but you might want to carry around 30 rounds of 12 GA ammo for a little while 1st.

It can be heavy. Not trying to poo your idea. I like it but 12ga ammo isn't light.

Regardless if things got bad it would be worth it for as far as you could stand to carry it. Especially for a get to the city limits firearm. I'd keep the. 22 al

I think for the weight what a .22 can do its a keeper.
Thanks,
Mike

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Crusty Old Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 10:22:48 AM »
I would have a gunsmith do the work and mount a bead front sight, as I am not sure about the legality of modifying your own scatterguns. He can also check it out to make sure it is safe to fire. Before I cut the barrel back, though, I'd do some research to find out what the shortest common (and legal) barrel length for the Mod. 12 was and go with that. And add a recoil pad, while you are at it. Oh, and avoid tricking it out. "Gramp's shotgun" is a lot easier to explain, if you have to.

For ammo, I would stick to the police lower power loads - less recoil and easier on the gun, and not significantly less effective. Go with a #4 buckshot for pattern density.

The advantage the Model 12 has over more modern guns in a defense scenario is a lack of a disconnector. The gun will fire by manipulating the slide if you hold the trigger back. (Another reason to go with a reduced recoil load.) This means you can put an awful lot of @.30 cal. balls down range in a hurry, if you need to.

Please keep us posted on the results of your project.

Good luck,

soupbone
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”  ----- Benj. Franklin

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 11:20:23 AM »
Good ideas!  I plan to run some number 8 through it first, then some number 4 high brass, then some buck.  I am going to skip the slugs until it is cut since it is a full choke right now.  I am not reinventing the wheel, more making a copy.

I won't be putting a bayonet lug or heat shield on.  I haven't figured out a sling mount for the front yet.  At worst I will just have to make a wrap around one from sheet metal. I do understand the weight,  I will be the first to say that I will not pack a million shells for it.  It just so happens that I was thinking 30,  10 - slugs 10 - buck 10 - #4.  Like I said there will be a .22 and a couple 100 cci minimags.  If I had to pick just one it would be a .22, but since there are two of us, I can pick two.

Offline Illini Warrior

• Prepper
$$$$$$$$$ Are U Kidding?
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 02:05:20 PM »
Have you checked the value of your ratty model 12?
Illini Warrior

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Crusty Old Curmudgeon
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 04:44:22 PM »
 :-\

My bad!

M-12s are getting to be collector's pieces now. Before you do a single thing to it, make sure you don't have a rare or special edition. The Winchester factory should be able to advise you via the s/n.

Worst thing in the world would be to find out that you had an M-12 once owned by someone famous, the day AFTER you modified it.

soup
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”  ----- Benj. Franklin

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 09:24:23 PM »

Got it started.  The barrel is 21" I am sure that it is an open choke now tho...  It fits in my bag but it is heavy.  The trade off over a single shot is that I have 6 rounds ready to go and unlike other pump guns the magazine comes off with the barrel.  An 870 is still pretty long broken down.

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 08:27:39 AM »
I am going to dissent here.

Firstly, 12 gauge ammo in particular is very heavy. Just pick up a bag with 100 shells in it. So unless you have the continuous use of a vehicle you will be severly restricted as to how much ammo you have on hand.

Secondly, even with slugs, your model 12 is going to have some significant practical range limitations. I would argue that such limitations would likely be an issue even in a relatively closed in urban setting. If you are hitting the open road or countryside I think relying on a shotgun is a big mistake.

The .22 rifle is a very good idea. As has been covered in many threads, the .22 is often under appreciated in terms of a general purpose tool and weapon. I would compliment it with a small to medium bore centerfire rifle. There are many options here, and it does not have to be a modern military pattern semi-auto or vintage battle rifle.

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 05:58:36 PM »
I agree with you 100%.  This is part of a system.  It is a bag gun.  It goes in my pack.  On my shoulder is an ar.  On my hip is a hand gun.  In my wife's bag will be a .22 Marlin break down.  I don't plan on 100 rounds, just 25.

Offline Nomad, 2nd

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 11:23:55 PM »
I did it a couple years ago to a reblued 12

19 inch barrel, 2.5 off the stock, XS dot for the front and I have a motorcycle gun that fits in my locking saddlebag, is between full and modified, and I've hit chest sized steel out past 100

I highly recommend it. 

Be sure you do it to the 'good steel' version.

I'm sorry, it's in storage and I have a different computer with me.

Offline will3117

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 02:19:52 AM »
I agree with you 100%.  This is part of a system.  It is a bag gun.  It goes in my pack.  On my shoulder is an ar.  On my hip is a hand gun.  In my wife's bag will be a .22 Marlin break down.  I don't plan on 100 rounds, just 25.

Not to be negative but, If those are different caliber weapons which I assume they are and your carrying three days food and bagged or bottled water, energy bars for emergencies, cooking equipment, fire starting at least three ways, a cpl tarps at least maybe a small two person tent, a blanket or sleeping bag, some type of hydration/filtration system,  medical gear,  clothes maybe a poncho or coat,  flashlights, compasses,  a radio maybe a cpl two ways, ax, machete, survival knife, plus three calibers worth of ammo,  I know most people think its a lot and with two people in the group you can just divide it between two packs,  but you really cant you have to remember each pack has to be a complete survival kit unto its own because what happens if one person gets lost or you miss each other and have to meet up at the rally area,  then your both left without the supplies you need to survive.

I may have forgotten some stuff but you get the idea, by using three different calibers your forcing yourself carry way too much ammo. Unless your longest hike is from the house to the car/truck in the driveway your going to either not have enough ammo or kill yourself with the weight. you might look into my solution a 9mm handgun and a 9mm tactical rifle. I also try to keep all the weapons in our group uniform i.e. everyone carry's 9mm sidearms and all smaller caliber rifles are .22lr. so between 6 of us we have a good mix of weapons for hunting/security but only use 4 different types of ammo 9mm, .22lr, .223 and 12 gauge. Anyway just a thought you should go hunting with your BOB a cpl of times to make sure you can deal with the weight or even just camping minus the guns but with the ammo packed...Good luck to you