Author Topic: Squirrel  (Read 2846 times)

Offline Rookinde

• Senior Survivalist
Squirrel
« on: July 23, 2011, 05:46:06 PM »
I just killed a squirrel that has been stealing from the garden. What is the best way to dispose of the squirrel since you can't eat them this time of year?

Rook

Offline incendiary_dan

• Prepper
    • Twenty-nine Thousand Acorns
Re: Squirrel
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 05:30:01 AM »
Why can't you eat it?  You've killed it already, so you might as well. 

If you're not going to eat it, I guess just bury it.  Burning might make it degrade faster and be good for compost, but that'd smell like crazy.

Offline Rookinde

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 06:20:51 AM »
Well... my dad always said you couldn't eat animals like that in the hot months for virus and the such.

Will burying it help enrich  the soil?

Rook.

Offline cigarmitch

• Prepper
  • Cigardener, shooter, hiker, survivor.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 06:39:12 AM »
You can eat them is dressed properly. Just be careful getting the guts out of it. The other thing is something like a squirrel gets a layer of fat between it's body and skin in the winter during the normal hunting season. That helps to get the skin off, but it isn't too difficult right now either.

But if you don't want to eat it. I would bury it away from the compost pile. Meat in the compost pile is nnot a good idea for smell purposes. Just bury it about 6"or 1'-0" down and no critters should dig him up.

Offline Huntinbull

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member. MOLON LABE
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 06:39:58 PM »
You can eat them this time of year. When you gut the animal, be careful not to puncture any of the entrails. Inspect the liver first of all. Any spots or abnormalities ( Normal coloration is a deep red/maroon coloration, tiniest bit of yellow or whitish fat) would mean pitch the animal out. Any parasites in the meat itself are bad signs. If the meat looks uniform and entrails show no abnormalities, you are good to go.

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 08:00:28 PM »
I am just going to echo what others have said.  It is fine to eat them year round.  You can dee a higher occurance of parisites in the hotter months, worns in the gut for the most part with squirrels.  Follow the advise here and cook it well and it should be a fine meal.

otherwise, if you have waited to long you can treat it as you would any dead pet