Author Topic: Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent  (Read 39193 times)

Offline sarababy99

• Prepper
  • Chesapeake Bay Retrievers ROCK!!!
    • 17DayFun
Re: Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2012, 09:44:42 PM »
I've been making my own for about a year now and I love it. I mostly use Fels Naptha in mine because i like the smell.  At first, my sister and mother were skeptical but after using it they are always asking me if I have any extra  ;)

So now, I make enough for all of us and my sister helps.  None of us have bought laundry soap since and don't plan too!  Thanks for the post!

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2012, 05:24:38 AM »
Made some more this weekend.

So easy a 5 year old can do it.

Offline gg61501

• Prepper
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2012, 10:27:27 AM »
Funny - I searched and searched for this thread last week and didn't find it.  Fortunately, I found a similar one and got the same recipe. :)

I whipped up my first batch on Friday night, using Zote brand soap (No Fels-Naptha at my local HEB).  I've heard the Fels has very little scent, so I was glad to get a little floral scent from the Zote. The Mrs. is a Tide fanatic, so I knew a nice scent was a must!

I am very anxious to try it out -- less than 1/3 cent PER LOAD is just freakin' awesome!  (1/4 cup per load for front-load HE machines.)

FUNNY: As I was excitedly mixing up the batch my wife asks, "Why are you doing that now? We've still got a whole bottle of the other stuff."

"So when we run out, we won't have to mix it up."

Baby-prepper-steps.... :D

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »
Made some more this weekend.

So easy a 5 year old can do it.

Um Doc, how did *you* get past the age verification process???

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2012, 09:13:25 PM »
Works on guns, makes laundry detergent and I believe I recall seeing him in the garden... You need to rent that kid out.  :D

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2012, 08:56:27 AM »
Whipping up a batch today I believe..  Though the prices have been adjusted.  I think the Fels naptha bar was just over $1...

Got plenty of laundry to do with 3 kids in the house..

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2012, 09:05:03 AM »
I made a new batch last week and for some reason it gelled almost solid.  So I have been stirring it every day for a week and its back to a perfect consistency .  MAN I love this soap.

Offline thezoo

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Wherever You go, there You are!
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2012, 10:14:18 AM »
I had a different recipe, and on our second batch something wierd happened, it formed little crystals, like large pieces of rock salt, the recipe I used called for 2 gallons of water, so i think it might have been either the borax or the washing powder that crystalized . gona give your recipe a try

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2012, 07:50:27 PM »
Whipping up a batch today I believe..  Though the prices have been adjusted.  I think the Fels naptha bar was just over $1...

around here (portland area) the price is over $3

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2012, 08:10:48 PM »
Well I have to come back and edit my post..  DW got me to make a dry batch,.. not a liquid.

From Pintrest:
1 4 lb 12 oz box Borax (2.15 kg or 76 oz) found in the detergent isle
1 4 lb box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (1.81 kg) found in the cooking isle
1  box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda 55 oz (3 lb 7 oz) found in the detergent isle
3 bars of Fels-naptha soap, found in the detergent isle
2 small containers of oxyclean or store brand oxyclean

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2012, 12:16:53 PM »

I just made a 10 gallon batch (I love it!). Picked up 20 bars of Fels maptha last week and it was .97 a bar.  We go through a lot of it with 5 kids in the house...two of which are divas and change clothes half a dozen times a day it seems.  <grrrr!>

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2012, 01:51:26 PM »
Depending on how this goes,.. I'll be putting up stock for future mix-ings.  THe next things is finding a better price then the $1.05 I paid.. that was at the grocery - going to have to check the dollar stores, Big Lots, etc next round.  As I still have retail detergent left, I won't be starting this mix yet..  But am hopeful.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2012, 06:59:28 PM »
The cheapest price I've found for Fels Naptha is $0.97 at Walmart. If you're paying a $1.05 that's not too bad. That's probably what it costs here if I include tax. I've seen it at some places for as much as $3.00 for a 5.5 oz bar.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2012, 09:10:11 PM »
The cheapest price I've found for Fels Naptha is $0.97 at Walmart. If you're paying a $1.05 that's not too bad. That's probably what it costs here if I include tax. I've seen it at some places for as much as $3.00 for a 5.5 oz bar.
i bought some, i was off in my prices estimate, it was only about $1.30.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2012, 05:02:54 PM »
Local Wally doesn't seem to carry it.  and I'm not to inclined to look at others..  Local Kroger has it,.. and we go there anyway.

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2012, 04:17:56 AM »
Make sure when looking for Fels Naptha that you check both the laundry isle and the bar soap isle. Some stores here stock it with regular bar soap. (Giant Eagle and Acme)

*also keep in mind that Fels is great for poison ivy, so keep plenty on hand!*

Offline MaddoginMass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2012, 07:01:49 AM »
Has anyone used essential oils (lavender?) to add a scent to the liquid detergent? 

Offline ICBM99

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • My Liberty and Life
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2012, 04:15:06 PM »
I've been adding TSP (Tri Sodium Phosphate, not The Survival Podcast) to my Dish washing detergent for a year or so, and it made a big difference compared to the "phosphate free" commercial detergents.

Have any of you tried adding it to the homemade laundry detergent?  The same place I got the idea from (some article online) suggested it, I tried it, but it didn't seem to make much difference.

I know it has been talked about here before, but didn't see the post.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2012, 04:50:33 PM »
I've been adding TSP (Tri Sodium Phosphate, not The Survival Podcast) to my Dish washing detergent for a year or so, and it made a big difference compared to the "phosphate free" commercial detergents.

Have any of you tried adding it to the homemade laundry detergent?  The same place I got the idea from (some article online) suggested it, I tried it, but it didn't seem to make much difference.

I added  it to my dish washing soap also. but not laundry soap. made my first batch of laundry soap and need baseline to compare against.

Offline ShannonB

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Mom
« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2012, 01:24:48 PM »
Has anyone used essential oils (lavender?) to add a scent to the liquid detergent?
I have but i didnt like the scent it created maybe from the mix with the soap base.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2012, 02:16:31 PM »

OH yeah... I started using it on laundry as well. I add about 1 1/2 Tablespoons to a load of whites and it makes a big difference. I also add it to the colored loads if they are especially grungy (boys' clothing after returning from Boy Scout campout, for example).

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2012, 02:30:06 PM »
I am so going to have to make a batch.  I have been stocking up on the ingredients just never seem to get around to mixing them together.  I have been using a tad of this and a tad of that carve off a piece of the bar soap.  It worked good as far as I could tell.  Most things don't really take the stains / dirt  out of my clothes.  They come out smelling ok just still have stains and sometimes dirt still on them.  I am very hard on clothes.  When I work outside I rinse my clothes off in the shower then throw them in the wash.  Yes most of the time I take them off.  Hubby cracked up the time I didn't.  But hey it was summer and I was hot.  Now he offers to spray me down with the hose.  ;D  Even using the ingredients one on one works better than most other products I have tried. 

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2012, 02:41:10 PM »
I found I did not get all the grated felis soap melted, i've found a few pieces of grated soap embedded in my clothes.. oops. make you melt your grated soap fully!

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2012, 09:27:45 AM »
DW hasn't been completely satisfied with the result.  Clothes don't seem to be coming clean with our mix from Pintrest, which is a more then what some have had good luck with.

While  I (we) haven't given up, we are finding that we need to make more adjustments.  Another concern that I have is of course what is this doing to my septic system.  And while I don't have a grey system, I wonder how it would affect that also.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2012, 09:32:12 AM »
Can you use homemade laundry detergent in your dishwasher? I have used it for washing items in the dishwasher that don't come in contact with people food, but would it be ok for dishes too? What I am wondering about is any unhealthy residue from the bar soap on my dishes.

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2012, 09:59:19 AM »
I made a batch, my wife didn't like the smell and said the towels didn't smell good (enough ).
And the sheets weren't soft enough. She ran out and bought a 2 years supply of her soap.
So I've used it for buckets,the drive way , anything Ive cleaned out side , I keep it in a cat litter bucket by the hose.
I'm impressed with it ,thanks for the post it may help me change her mind.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2012, 04:26:36 PM »
I made a batch, my wife didn't like the smell and said the towels didn't smell good (enough ).
And the sheets weren't soft enough. She ran out and bought a 2 years supply of her soap.
So I've used it for buckets,the drive way , anything Ive cleaned out side , I keep it in a cat litter bucket by the hose.
I'm impressed with it ,thanks for the post it may help me change her mind.

I run vinegar through the "liquid fabric softener" dispenser, and it works on the odor as well as softens the clothes.  I had a mishap a few years ago and can't handle chemical smells anymore. Even the lightly scented Glade or Airwick type solid air freshers send me out of a room in a bad coughing fit. My kiddos know what supplies I need to make my soaps and such, so I don't have to suffer going down the soap aisle at the store.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2013, 05:37:08 PM »
Made another batch today Nic.. thanks.

Cedar

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2013, 05:56:38 PM »
I just made a new batch yesterday myself.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2013, 06:20:47 PM »
I was running low on laundry soap. Z asked if I wanted to help him fill his Amazon order so he could get free shipping. Told him I needed a couple bars of Fels-Naptha. My CASE of Fels-Naptha soap arrived today  :o I think I am good for a few decades.

Cedar