Author Topic: Camp foods for lightweight backpacking  (Read 9058 times)

Offline nimzy88

• Survivalist Mentor
Camp foods for lightweight backpacking
« on: October 18, 2010, 02:19:09 PM »
A couple years ago I did a two week canoe trip at Isle Royale in the middle of lake superior. We had big packs and carried everything with us. I had my jet boil stove that I can't say enough about to cook our meals on. But one of the guys in the group had these little bread packs from Cache Lake. There frying pan breads were great and super easy and light to use. They maybe a little pricey at a little over $4.00 a piece but it was worth it for the variety of breads. I have only tried the breads none of the other products but when you are looking for lightweight items, this is a great way to go.

http://www.cachelake.com/

Offline grizzman

• Prepper
  • Enjoying coffee in a handmade mug while camping
Re: Camp foods for lightweight backpacking
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 01:26:30 AM »
Thanks for the link. I'm always looking for more high country variety.

Offline Perfesser

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 09:25:04 PM »
Do some searching for bannock or Navajo fry bread.
They were made for a long time with the simplest of ingredients in many variations.
You'll serve yourself well learning the old way of cooking these simple breads, prepare them at home with everything but the oil and water in a baggie.

Just this past few days I was at the cottage and brought this in a bag.
PITTENWEEM BANNOCKS    
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 c. oatmeal
4 tbsp. butter or shortening
1 c. milk
Rub butter into dry ingredients; stir in milk. Mixture should be soft but easy to handle. If too soft, sprinkle in some flour; if too solid, add a little milk. Turn onto a floured board; shape lightly and divide into about 15 parts. Pat each into a scone 1/2-inch thick.

Cook on a floured, hot griddle, turning once. When done, in about 15 minutes or 7-8 minutes each side, stack on end at side of the pan. Wrap in clean dishcloth on cooling rack. The griddle is at the right temperature when a sprinkling of flour turns light brown immediately.

I didn't cook them in a pan, I put a wire rack on top of the wood stove and put a foil tent over top to make an "oven" of sorts.
I did use milk but you could easily put milk powder in the dry ingredients.
They could have used some sweetener like honey in the mix. Dried fruit would have really hit the spot.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 10:24:38 PM »
Ash Cakes, Frybread and Bannock. These things kick up the quality of any backpacking meal.

the ingredients for all three of these would make for fairly light packing, and they're not very expensive either. You can also get really creative with these by adding spices, nuts, and berries.

Offline The Fishin Magician

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 02:35:27 PM »
For lightweight backpacking foods, I prefer Mountain House freeze dried, or homemade dehydrated stuff. The dehydrated takes a bit longer to cook/prepare than the freeze dried, but not enough of a difference to make it inconvenient. The Mountain House can get expensive, but I only use it for shorter trips where I want convenience and quality.

For "camp bread"-type items, I've really been on a steam-baking kick for a while now. If you can boil water, you can bake things like biscuits, muffins, cake mixes, etc. I use a small Titanuim cookset that fits around my 38 oz. Guyot/Nalgene bottle and a Wilton SillyFeet baking cup. Here's a great website that describes the process and has a video demonstration. The site also has some really good recipes for backpackers...

http://www.trailcooking.com/thefauxbaker/part5

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 06:33:03 PM »
Great Site. Thanks for the link!

Offline 1022

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 07:28:18 AM »
I always like to bring pasta and dried sauces along with dried meats. At the Chinese grocery I have seen all sorts of dried fish and shrimp that give me some good ideas for lightweight meals.

Offline Mr. Red Beard (UKtheBUNNY)

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Probably doing it wrong
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 08:32:58 AM »
I agree with "The Fishin Magician" on the Mountain House. These are great lite weight and if you buy the 2 servings portions you save money.

Don't get fooled with Backpackers Pantry products. I did but I also didn't read the directions when I bought them. With that said I didn't expect to have to have a full kitchen to prepare the meals.

"Nicodemus" & "Perfesser" are on it Bannock bread is incredible. We cooked it on a forked stick over a camp fire. This was a delight while on a 3 day hike down the Ouachita trail.

Offline Cryptozoic

• Senior Survivalist
  • We have to help each other.
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 01:23:30 PM »
A Cherokee Warrior could live 3 weeks on 2 handfuls of parched corn per day.
Easy to make.  Fry dried corn in oil not hot enough for it to pop, continuously stirring it around.  Pull it out of the pan and let some paper towels soak up the surplus oil.  Put it in a cloth sack (not plastic) and it will keep a good long time.  Has the consistency of peanuts.

How to get dried corn?  Buy frozen corn and dehydrate it.  Dirt cheap.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 03:12:34 PM »
I like the MH freeze dried foods. For bread I've been making up dry ingredients ahead of time and then hydrate them at camp and wrap the dough around a stick. Some times I will take Bisquick and mix it with blue berry muffin mix and all dry ingredients. Coconut works well to keep things together and adds to the treat. You can also take some aluminum foil and make some cakes then plank cook them. Just have to keep a better eye on them.

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 09:48:43 AM »
Man, you can make better dehydrated food than Mountain House, cheaper, healthier, and better tasting.

http://www.amazon.com/Backpack-Gourmet-Dehydrate-Healthy-Eating/dp/0811726347/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342367013&sr=8-1&keywords=backpack+gourmet

I use the drying directions for the various food types and make my own recipes.  Take a long hike in cool weather, then eat a big helping of Lasagna you made with Italian sausage and tomatoes and herbs you grew yourself. 

Scraping hummus out of a bowl/cup with some warm bannock bread is a hearty lunch on the trail.

One of the favorite cookbooks on this chef's shelf.

Of course, I like summer sausage, Snyder's Pretzel Pieces, and a growler of beer.  But I am a true gourmand. :D

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 10:04:22 AM »
Thanks for the link, I'll send for the book. Most of the time it's not about how good MH is but about how much time I have to give to dirt time. I have to take care of all my gear and food that goes into it, so, many times I just keep it pre packed and as soon as I have an hour or two I just grab it and run.

I do like your idea of preparing your own dehydrated food stuff but.......just had a thought......does anyone make a food dehydrator that works in the woods?  More dirt time!  :)

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 10:43:25 AM »
Most of this stuff you make at home, dehydrate, throw in a ziploc bag, and just grab a few on the way out the door. 

Hell, you could make a big batch of dinner, throw some in the dehydrator, bag it the next morning, and have some spaghetti, or crab casserole, or falafels in camp.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 10:49:16 AM »
I'll give that a try, sounds like it's doable. Just have to get in the routine and it would be nice not to eat the tree bark and weeds I've been eating. :)