Author Topic: "Ignore Boards" (new feature)  (Read 13379 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
"Ignore Boards" (new feature)
« on: August 07, 2011, 08:40:51 PM »
We just discovered and enabled a useful feature of our forum software: you can now select specific boards to "ignore".

I say "ignore" in quotes, because you won't lose access to these boards entirely.  Here's what will happen if you "ignore" a board:
  • "Show unread posts since last visit" will not display any posts from the ignored board.
  • "View the most recent posts on the forum" will also not display posts from the ignored board.
  • The new posts indicator will not show up next to the ignored board on the index.

However:
  • "Show new replies to your posts" will display replies, even from ignored boards.
  • The board itself will still be displayed, and if you enter the board, new topics will be marked.

To use this feature, go to your Profile > Modify Profile > Ignore Boards Options, mark the boards you want to ignore, and click "Change profile" at the bottom.

Offline Ada

• Prepper
  • I'm in the chatroom!
Re: "Ignore Boards" (new feature)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 03:16:25 PM »
Time to ignore out the boards about gardening,  I hate gardening >:(
Ada_(Dvewxf): Apocalypse have happened.
Luke: uhoh go dig up the garden
Luke: cause I'm taking my plants with me when I bug out

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 06:17:59 PM »

I'm with you, Ada!!!!!!    ;D

And yet, I have tomato plants, horseradish (thankfully a perennial) and herbs (ditto).
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these to others, and I require the same from them.

J.B. Books

MightyRunt

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
Thankyou for your efforts in discovering this option!!

endurance

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 11:13:46 AM »
Time to ignore the threads on zombie apocolypse, I hate zombies >:(

;)

Offline MrThirteen

• Survivor
    • Thirteensworld
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 01:31:53 PM »
ALL CAPS ON PURPOSE BECAUSE I AM YELLING WITH JOY!

THIS FEATURE WILL MAKE THESE BOARDS EVEN MORE AWESOME!

THANK YOU!

Until the next time,

Thirteen

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 11:59:33 AM »
I have never once activated this "ignore boards" feature. However, just now I clicked into "replies" and the entire screen shows me nothing. And then just now I clicked into "unread posts" and again the whole screen shows nothing.

I think the board is ignoring me. :(

::ETA::

Here's what it says when I click "Replies"

No unread topics found since your last visit. Click here to try all unread topics.

And here's what it says when I click "Unread"

No messages... 

::ETA 2::

Okay, I just looked in my profile, and I reviewed the "ignore boards" feature, and none of the boxes are checked off in my "ignore boards" feature.  But yet my profile is choosing to ignore the boards.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 12:06:16 PM by Oil Lady »
"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

Our parents used to say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of it."
And now our kids say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of us."

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

"The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself." FDR 1937

The Tin Foil Hat Song by the League of Lady Conspiracists

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 12:53:39 PM »
I have never once activated this "ignore boards" feature. However, just now I clicked into "replies" and the entire screen shows me nothing. And then just now I clicked into "unread posts" and again the whole screen shows nothing. ...

I don't think this is related to the "Ignore Boards" feature.  Either the forum is acting up (which it might do, if the database has acquired a glitch), or it's acting normally and you've run into one of it's quirky ideas about what "normally" is.

"Show unread posts since last visit" sometimes has a very odd idea of when your last visit was.  This has something to do with "sessions", which are a mechanism the forum software uses to keep track of you.  I've never read a good explanation of how "sessions" work, but sometimes they are shorter than one visit, and sometimes they encompass several visits.  So sometimes the list of unread posts is very short and sometimes it's very long.  AFAIK, we can't do anything about this quirk.

"Show new replies to your posts" usually works the way you'd expect.  But if you have, in fact, looked at every thread where somebody has replied to one of your posts, this list will be empty.

Anyway, that's what should happen if it's working right.  If it's not working right, we probably need to run a database repair.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 01:07:24 PM »
I have never once activated this "ignore boards" feature. However, just now I clicked into "replies" and the entire screen shows me nothing. And then just now I clicked into "unread posts" and again the whole screen shows nothing.

I think the board is ignoring me. :(

I had the same thing happen to me recently, but it went away after I logged out, restarted my phone, and logged back in.
I did it! Started a business-check me out at www.RussellHoney.com