Author Topic: California CCW: Anyone got one?  (Read 2733 times)

Offline FreeLancer

• Dedicated Contributor
California CCW: Anyone got one?
« on: August 13, 2011, 04:41:49 AM »
Wondering if I could get some feedback from any Californians who have been successful in getting concealed carry. 

I live in the county that supposedly issues more permits than the rest of the state combined, but after looking at the application packet requiring letters of reference, statement of need,  intensive background check, 6-12 month wait, etc., I'm not eager to put all that effort into it only to get shot down and then have to report being previously denied when I apply again in the future.

And, no, moving is not an option.
In times of change learners inherit the earth and the learned find themselves equipped for a world that no longer exists.   Eric Hoffer

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.  Winston Churchill

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.  Voltaire

Offline USMCAllen

• Survivor
Re: California CCW: Anyone got one?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 05:22:13 AM »
In my county in Cali the sheriff put out a statement that could be summed up as "if u want it come get it"

Still tHe processors is a hassle and the papers are still at home yet to be filed.

Offline FreeLancer

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 05:51:55 AM »
I'm in San Bernardino County and the papers are gathering dust as well.  Where are you, if you don't mind my asking?
In times of change learners inherit the earth and the learned find themselves equipped for a world that no longer exists.   Eric Hoffer

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.  Winston Churchill

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.  Voltaire

Offline USMCAllen

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 07:20:12 AM »
Shot you a pm ;)

Offline Dangerous Dan

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 07:21:50 AM »
I did some work for a musician here in Nashville that just moved from Cali.  He made it sound like it was easy to get. Maybe you need to have your "manager" file the paperwork for you and tell them your an entertainer.

Offline FreeLancer

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 11:16:04 AM »
I did some work for a musician here in Nashville that just moved from Cali.  He made it sound like it was easy to get. Maybe you need to have your "manager" file the paperwork for you and tell them your an entertainer.

I've always suspected that it had more to do with having the right "connections" than anything else.  That's why I'm fishing here on the forum to see how others might have done it.

Offline scott

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 12:45:30 PM »
Here in Sacramento county our new Sheriff (Scott Jones) has made it public that he will issue freely.  Which hasn't got the positive media attention it should.  We have been under the crony loving thumb of McGinness whose opinion on concealed carry was very different so the general mindset here is that you (the little people) can't get one. 
It is said to be very different now, I've yet to give it a go.  Applications are way up and so is issuance so it seems Jones is legit on this issue. 

Offline Alpha Mike

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I'm preparing for a lack of imagination.
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 09:29:39 PM »
There are a hand full of county sheriffs that are pro "shall issue" CCW's. Most counts are not.  It requires connections (contributions to the sheriffs campaign fund) to get one.  :(
When did the Constitution ever stop a liberal.  - nkawtg
Nobody really believes in Hell, until they get there.

Inflatable goats, angel farting unicorns, zombie raptors, sunburnt pig-zebra, bug-eyed-rat-dog, undocumented photosynthesizers, The Rabbit Emperor... and the TSP menagerie grows.

Offline FreeLancer

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 03:25:55 PM »
Disappointing....I had hoped someone on the forum would have been successful, as I need some motivation to start the process.

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 04:22:37 PM »
I know of a few people who were successful at acquiring their CA CCW's.

I do know that we need to have our reps vote for SB 610, this would streamline the process... make CA more of a shall issue, instead of a may issue.

Link to the NRA article here:
http://nramemberscouncils.com/legs.shtml?summary=sb610&year=2011
"You are your most precious commodity along with those you spend your life with. Time is how you spend that commodity. Dont let anyone spend it for you."    - yrone
The problem with society today: Stupid doesn't hurt anymore.
www.allthingsonmybrain.wordpress.com

Inflateable goat Get him... before he gets you!

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 12:30:46 AM »
Go for it.  San Berdo Co is known as being pretty good about issuing.  Its a hassle, but partly because they are all busier than ever because so many people are applying.  It's usually a long process, so get it started sooner than later.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Offline UA8

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 03:37:21 PM »
On a side note does anyone have any experience with Sonoma county? I may be living there some point in the future and would like to know what I'm in for ahead of time.

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 02:57:57 PM »
If I remember correctly, Sonoma is one of the "nicer" counties.  Not quite as nice as Kern (issued more CCW's then all other counties combined, IIRC)
"You are your most precious commodity along with those you spend your life with. Time is how you spend that commodity. Dont let anyone spend it for you."    - yrone
The problem with society today: Stupid doesn't hurt anymore.
www.allthingsonmybrain.wordpress.com

Inflateable goat Get him... before he gets you!

Offline Kevinoman0221

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Knows just enough to be dangerous.
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 01:50:06 AM »
Sonoma County native here - I looked into it a while back and found this helpful map:
http://www.calccw.com/Forums/county-faq/7158-county-map-california-ccw-issuance.html

It shows which counties issue and which don't. Actually, a surprising number of California counties seem to give permits to anyone who asks for one. Unfortunately, Sonoma is not one of them...

Having the permit from any county allows you to carry concealed anywhere in the state, so if your residence was in, say, Lake County, you should be able to get your permit there, and still carry concealed in Sonoma County. The commute is a little rough, but you wouldn't be the only one doing it.

Property prices in Lake County are a lot lower than Sonoma, but the job situation is a lot worse too.
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire"
-Yeats