Author Topic: Beware the Brown Recluse Spider (nasty pic warning)  (Read 36832 times)

Offline millwright

• Survivor
  • Cold War Relic
Re: Beware the Brown Recluse Spider (nasty pic warning)
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2010, 12:18:11 AM »
I was bit one time about 6" above my ankle on the shin. After the typical symptoms,  itching, puss filled cyst, necrosis at wound site, black moving up shin towards knee, I consulted my local witch doctor ( friend that was good at herbal medicine). She suggested Plantain extract as a drawing agent and red clay over wound site. Within hours of this the clay was damp over the wound and drawing things out. 1st day after the black streaks up my leg were receding. Within a few days it was healing like a normal flesh wound.
I have suggested this to a couple of people with the same symptoms and they had similar results.

Plantain is native to the south and is found in wet areas. It was used by the indians for snake bites and such. Gooey red clay seems to draw moisture better than anything, but when you peel it off be ready to loose hair.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2010, 12:21:04 AM »
Watch out for "Yellow Sack" spiders also.  They have a similar effect.  I have a scar on my back from the bite.  My son and grand-daughter have also been bitten and have scars. 

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2010, 01:49:19 AM »
I just want to chime in and affirm that nearly every room in my house has a Black and Decker high frequency emitter and there has been a considerable decline in insect activity in our house.

I've had'em for years and I'm not unplugging them unless I replace them with new ones.

Also, not to go off topic, but...if anyone ever finds themselves in a fight for your property with water bugs a.k.a. cockroaches, etc., I learned that horse apples are a completely natural and effective way of driving them out of your home! Just place a few in your cabinets or under the bed or other strategic areas.

Offline Doc K

• "King of the Medicine Cabinet"
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
    • Temperate Climate Permaculture
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2010, 08:02:16 AM »
Gotta agree with Truik.  Not sure if they work on spiders, but when I lived in Kentucky a lot of people I knew used horse apples (aka Osage Orange) to repel household insects.

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2010, 08:19:49 AM »
We had a very bad infestation in Murray, KY when we lived there.  Tommy is right about the pesticides.  All they do is provide the spider a lot of free lunches with all the other dead insects.  We did have luck with the glue traps that the pest control company provided.  They weren't perfect but they did work some.  We always shook out our bedding before going to bed.  For some reason they stayed in certain areas of the house only.  They were difficult to catch and kill but I guess we either had a non-aggressive strain or we were just careful. 

The brown recluse can go extended amounts of time without food or water, you can't starve them out either.  Supposedly those little black jumping spiders will kill and eat a brown recluse.  Its important to not kill spiders that aren't Brown Recluses if you have them.  I've heard the hedge apple method but I've never tried it.

A lot of people (including my wife) confuse the brown wolf spider (which we currently have) with the Brown Recluse (which we don't have). 

J

Offline phargolf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2010, 08:12:11 PM »
I see at least a dozen serious bites every spring. Seems the brown recluse doesn't get really active until the temperature goes over 70- not sure if this is everywhere but it is a fact in arkansas.

AC

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2010, 01:24:05 PM »
It would help to know if they have a distinctive web, for instance black widow webs have a distinctive, disorganized, space-filling shape. And new ones are shiny.

Brown Recluses are also known as violin spiders, because of the violin on their back. This is helpful to know because some info is out about them under that name, and some people consider the Brown Recluse one member of that family, but they're all bad.

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2010, 01:33:28 PM »
It would help to know if they have a distinctive web, for instance black widow webs have a distinctive, disorganized, space-filling shape. And new ones are shiny.

Brown Recluses are also known as violin spiders, because of the violin on their back. This is helpful to know because some info is out about them under that name, and some people consider the Brown Recluse one member of that family, but they're all bad.

I might be wrong but I don't believe they keep a web.  I think they either actively hunt or they use other spider's webs.

I've also heard them called fiddler spiders, hobo spiders (hobo sack instead of violin).

J

Offline phargolf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2010, 04:35:54 PM »
you are entirely correct. they actually "hunt" instead of setting traps with webs, that is what makes them a little more dangerous because they can be anywhere. I had one fall off 1 of my shirts in the closet when i pulled it down to get ready for work-you talk about a fat boy moving fast! ;D

Tommy Jefferson

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2010, 09:15:54 AM »
Seems the brown recluse doesn't get really active until the temperature goes over 70- not sure if this is everywhere but it is a fact in arkansas.

Ug.  That's good to know.

It's getting warm enough now.  I've got some spring cleaning to do in storage buildings.  I'm taking precautions.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2010, 06:34:04 PM »
Ug.  That's good to know.

It's getting warm enough now.  I've got some spring cleaning to do in storage buildings.  I'm taking precautions.
... nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2010, 09:59:58 PM »
... nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure

Alien & Aliens when Hollywood made a simple plot alien horror movie. Large creepy killer alien gets onboard your ship and kills crew. Crew responds with flame thrower and blows it out into space then blows up ship for good measure. cant beat it
good link here Archer Close Encounters  Nuke the entire site fom orbit

Offline odimodus

• Prepper
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »
 +1 for the aliens clips!!

I took care of a lady that had to get a muscle flap on her leg due to a brown recluse bite. It was horrible and expensive. I hadnt thought about the brown recluse much lately but now I'm paranoid suddenly. Going to check out those ultrasonic sound things...

Offline Uncle Bob (he ain’t right)

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2010, 05:47:41 PM »
I got bit on the foot. One was in my boot and bit me as it died. Dumbass me thought it was a splinter or something. It got really bad sick by the end of the day. I spent 10 days in the hospital with a bad Doctor for the first 6 days. Changed Doctors at the urging of one of nurses I made friends with and the new Doc. knew just what it was at first site. The first one was clueless and almost cost me a leg. I had 2 operations, lost half a toe and I spent the next 4 months on a IV antibiotic 3 times a day. I was allowed to run the IV in myself but it Sucked in a large way

Offline Mortie

• Prepper
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2010, 05:52:25 PM »
We called them fiddle back spiders when I was growing up. I am going to do some serious research on ultrasonic pest deterrents.

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2010, 07:16:02 PM »
Guy I worked with was bit, so was his wife, in their home (2-3 years ago).  They live in New Jersey, but around where there is allot of trucking. (I78 close to the PA border).  The bite and symptoms are just as described here.   Thinking how 'stuff' boxes and such come and go damn near overnight via UPS etc.    Sounds like a bad Sci-Fi. 

Offline Zookeeper

• Prepper
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2010, 01:06:24 AM »
Alot of those spider bites are really MERSA. It starts out looking like a spider bite. My Doctor said alot of people including Dr's. are confusing the two.

Offline odimodus

• Prepper
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2010, 07:42:24 AM »
Alot of those spider bites are really MERSA. It starts out looking like a spider bite. My Doctor said alot of people including Dr's. are confusing the two.

Zookeeper is right. There are a lot of missed diagnosed infections going on. Its easy to blame a spider when something else might have broken the skin and MRSA took off in the open wound.

For those that dont know, MRSA is Methicillin Resistant Staphlococcus Aureus. Staph. Aureus is a common skin bacteria everyone has, its just a strain that has become resistant to multiple antibiotics. It used to be limited to hospital populations but has been breaking out in other places. Prisons, gyms, schools, etc... In some ways its a much scarier 'Bug' to me.

But if you were bitten in obviously spider friendly places its pretty likely it was a spider. It's funny what will crawl into your shoe when your not looking. I had a scorpion inside my boot once when I put it on and I never knew it was there till I took the boot off. I squished it flat, haha.

Offline MCopes

• Prepper
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2010, 10:14:34 AM »
I used to chase off crickets that I would find in my garage or unfinished basement;  I found their chiping very annoying.  That was BEFORE I did my research on brown recluse.  Found two references that make it sound like the common cricket has a 50-50 chance of kicking brown recluse ass in a street fight:

http://home.texoma.com/~linesden/spider.htm
  http://photo.net/nature-photography-forum/00RujD

Now I let the crickets have free run in my garage and basement.  That chirping just reminds me that these harmless little guys are working "border patrol" for me.

Offline Doc K

• "King of the Medicine Cabinet"
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
    • Temperate Climate Permaculture
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2010, 12:40:06 PM »
Zookeeper is right. There are a lot of missed diagnosed infections going on. Its easy to blame a spider when something else might have broken the skin and MRSA took off in the open wound.

For those that dont know, MRSA is Methicillin Resistant Staphlococcus Aureus. Staph. Aureus is a common skin bacteria everyone has, its just a strain that has become resistant to multiple antibiotics. It used to be limited to hospital populations but has been breaking out in other places. Prisons, gyms, schools, etc... In some ways its a much scarier 'Bug' to me.

Quite right.  I see a ton of "spider bites" every year that are really just skin infections (abscesses).  The patient "knows" it was a spider even though they did not see one and it gets better after lancing it and giving them antibiotics (spider venom is not treated with antibiotics by the way). 

On top of that, most people who get bit by a Brown Recluse do very well.  Unfortunately, there are some who do not.  We don't know who will have a bad reaction. 

Avoidance is best!

Doc K

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2011, 09:00:15 PM »
Gotta agree with Truik.  Not sure if they work on spiders, but when I lived in Kentucky a lot of people I knew used horse apples (aka Osage Orange) to repel household insects.

Thanks goodness you explained that a horse apple was Osage Orange.  In my neck of the woods a horse apple is what comes out of the southern end of a north bound horse.  I could not see putting that in my kitchen cabinets.

This thread has me itching all over.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2011, 10:12:13 PM »
What ever you do don't search on youtube for spider bites. There are somethings that can't be unseen.

Offline MrThirteen

• Survivor
    • Thirteensworld
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2011, 10:26:18 PM »
Thanks goodness you explained that a horse apple was Osage Orange.  In my neck of the woods a horse apple is what comes out of the southern end of a north bound horse.  I could not see putting that in my kitchen cabinets.

This thread has me itching all over.

Thanks for explaining what we call road apples.  Your southern end of a northbound horse had me and my wife laughing.

Offline Nadja*isk*en*isk*ie

• Prepper
  • Don’t confuse tools with root causes.
    • (my) Everyday-Carry Keychain
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2011, 05:22:50 AM »

/agree.

The attribution of a spider bite as the cause of a necrotic, or ulcerative, skin lesion should be a diagnosis of last resort. Necrotic arachnidism is an extremely rare condition.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
I saw this article today, and thought I would share.  wouldn't it be just like the ecofreaks to make an issue of this.  say that global warming means that the natural habitat of the spiders is too hot.  then they would all be "oh, no! we must save the brown recluse from extinction!  put it on the watch list, and fine anyone who kills one!"

ooops - forgot the link:
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/04/28/guess-whos-coming-dinner-brown-recluse-spiders-expand-reign-north-america/?test=faces

Offline thezoo

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Wherever You go, there You are!
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2011, 01:30:05 PM »
What ever you do don't search on youtube for spider bites. There are somethings that can't be unseen.
  you just know there will be lots of people going to you tube to find out what your refering to, its like a truck wreck you just have to look though you dont want to :-X

Offline thezoo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2011, 01:45:06 PM »
this post reminded me of something that happened about 2 years ago and im wondering has anyone ever experienced something like this,  one morning i woke up and had a bad itch on the right side of my belly, when i went to scratch it I found a rock hard slightly painful bump it was red
and itched like mad, 6 days later i decided to pierce it because when i touched it it felt hot, well I sgueezedout blood( discolored blackish with a bad odor) it seemed to get better after that but 2 weeks later it was worse so I lanced it agian this time the blook smelled worse and had a purple black look to it, the wife wanted me to go to the hospital but im stubborn, so i made a compromise i left her bandage it well, fresh sterile bandage sealed on all four sides, neosporin and all that jazz, the next morning i decided to check it out and upon peeling the bandage off I found a yellow clearish dead spider in the puddle of neosporin, the wound went away in a day or 2, I have heard of parasites such as bot flies, but never spiders under your skin and ive never left the states so what was this, everyone i tell this to says im full of it but i not a good liar, how could i make this one up any thoughts :-\

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2011, 01:52:39 PM »
eww... that is just gross, and the arachnophobe in me is screaming that you are lying and covering my ears and singing "lalalalala"

(but I will be back to see if anyone has any ideas for you, cuz I am sadistic that way.)

Offline thezoo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2011, 02:04:14 PM »
im an arachnaphobe as well and im not ashamed to admit that I screamed like a little girl when I saw that bandage ( 5'6" 330 lbs man) im not scared of anything but spiders, and stinging insects (wasps hornets etc) we keep snakes as pets, no fear but one little spider and I come unglued a a yellow streak runs up an down my back, ( once in the woods hunting small game I encountered a garden orb spider) a double blast from the 12 guage and the spider was no more :badgarden:

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2011, 04:06:35 PM »
I have been bitten twice by yellowsacks. The first was in the early '90s. Extremely painful! It was on my back just below the sholderblade. (right under my bra line! >:() Of course, the bra kept it irritated and my husband (now ex) had to bandage it for me.
It left a scar!

The second time was last summer. I was bitten in the same area. (Same problems.) My granddaughter was bitten by one on the inside of her arm - just above the elbow. My son was bitten three times! (He could only show me two  ::))
Their scars aren't as noticible. I guess because they weren't irritated by clothing and were allowed to heal more quickly.

It starts like any bite - just a spot, then expands and swells until lanced. (Yeah, it stinks!)