Author Topic: Beware the Brown Recluse Spider (nasty pic warning)  (Read 36819 times)

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Beware the Brown Recluse Spider (nasty pic warning)
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2011, 05:59:08 PM »
We have them here in eastern Oregon and also something called a Hobo spider. Similar nasty bite.

Offline climberaxe

• Prepper
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2011, 07:06:07 PM »
any idea what would happen if you put them on the outside of the house? like on an outside plug

I don't think they are UL Listed for outside use. My guess is they would get wet, short, trip the GFIC, and eventually end up in the trash. We bought some "Verminex" brand in a three pack front Sam's about ten years ago. They worked great. If I recall, the packaging highly recommended moving them around every so often (we move ours every month or so. I even rotate them through the garage. After ten years, I think they are getting weak. May replace (no, suppliment) with new ones this summer.   

Offline Rom

• Prepper
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2011, 11:32:25 AM »
We have them here in eastern Oregon and also something called a Hobo spider. Similar nasty bite.

Heavy hobo country over here. I hate hobo spiders more than any other, and I used to live in widow country. The bite of a hobo may not be as bad as a recluse but they sure are aggressive little bastards. I've never been fearful of spiders, but I have two young boys and I HATE the thought of spiders in my house, or any other aggressive creature that can hurt them. Does anyone have a link for studies on the ultra sonic deals and health impacts on humans or pets? Any reason I should be worried about having them around my boys?

Offline gobblerblaster

• Prepper
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2011, 08:33:06 PM »
Actually there are some traps that work good in catching these little nuisances. The glue traps that smell like peanut butter that fold into a triangle seem to work very well. We live in North East Oklahomam , right dead center of their range and have them big time. We use these traps in the house and outbuildings and have greatly reduced their population along with scorpions and cave crickets. I have never been bitten but, have come very close. I try to be very careful and wear gloves when going through stuff that has been undisturbed for a while.

Offline Mr. Red Beard (UKtheBUNNY)

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Probably doing it wrong
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2011, 09:22:10 PM »
Wow that is absolutely terrifying. I've been stung by a scorpion and while painful it was nothing like that.

Offline Cannon

• Prepper
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2011, 12:19:21 PM »
We had a very bad infestation in Murray, KY when we lived there.  Tommy is right about the pesticides.  All they do is provide the spider a lot of free lunches with all the other dead insects.  We did have luck with the glue traps that the pest control company provided.  They weren't perfect but they did work some.  We always shook out our bedding before going to bed.  For some reason they stayed in certain areas of the house only.  They were difficult to catch and kill but I guess we either had a non-aggressive strain or we were just careful. 

The brown recluse can go extended amounts of time without food or water, you can't starve them out either.  Supposedly those little black jumping spiders will kill and eat a brown recluse.  Its important to not kill spiders that aren't Brown Recluses if you have them.  I've heard the hedge apple method but I've never tried it.

A lot of people (including my wife) confuse the brown wolf spider (which we currently have) with the Brown Recluse (which we don't have). 

J

Just wanted to chime in on this! Pesticides, and whatnot never seemed to fix this issue when I lived in Texas. Brown Recluse spiders would always show up (some as large as golf balls) in the shower, etc... We ended up buying a steel post bed (harder for them to climb upon), and ensuring our covers never touched the ground or other surfaces as a precautionary measure.

Though the Hobo spider shares the same family, I currently appreciate having a healthy population of Barn Funnel Weaver (Agelenidae, T. domestica) spiders where I live. I am strongly considering introducing a population of jumping spiders as well. The idea being that the other spiders will compete with the FOOD SUPPLY of the Brown Recluse.  Less available food means less chance a Recluse will find your property a reasonable home.  Also, these spiders are generally considered harmless to humans (though humans with allergies will still suffer).

Please note that Funnel-Web spiders are not synonymous with Funnel Weaver spiders, though some internet sites confuse terminology.  The Atrax robustus (Funnel-web) is one of the worlds deadliest.

I was recently inspired by this Youtube video from Paul Wheaton: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJHA71zSkog

[Edited for syntax, and species info]
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 12:58:16 PM by Cannon »