Author Topic: Food Grade Buckets Now at Lowes  (Read 12652 times)

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
Food Grade Buckets Now at Lowes
« on: August 15, 2011, 10:14:09 PM »
I was doing a plumbing job for my sister and had to run to Lowes for a few parts. Right as I went in they had about 12 stacks of white 5 gallon buckets sitting next to the stacks of their regular silver buckets. The new buckets are advertised as Food Grade and sell for $3.59 if I recall correctly.

It may be the case that you could always get these at your local Lowes, but this is the first time our local store has had them.

I just thought I'd give a heads up as  folks are always inquiring about where to purchase Food Grade 5 Gallon Buckets and this may be an option near you.

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
Re: Food Grade Buckets Now at Lowes
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 11:57:58 PM »
Thanks for the info, I checked back in December and my Lowes did not have any, but I will check back now, or at least see if they can order them.

On an additional note about buckets: I inquired at my local Meijers Bakery and they actually told me that they have a policy that they will not give anyone the buckets, but have to throw them away instead. Its sad really.
SwagBucks This program will let you get Amazon gift cards free, just for using their search engine. I paid for my X-mas with it!

"The Hen House"

Offline BadgerAngel

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Do not get between Badger & her coffee *snarl*
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 12:10:12 AM »
Thanks for the info, I checked back in December and my Lowes did not have any, but I will check back now, or at least see if they can order them.

On an additional note about buckets: I inquired at my local Meijers Bakery and they actually told me that they have a policy that they will not give anyone the buckets, but have to throw them away instead. Its sad really.

Well, if you're not averse to a little dumpster diving, you can still get them.  Maybe you can find out when they throw them away and be there?
Proud member of the MSB
Check out Compton After Dark on VOC Nation.  http://www.vocnation.com/COMPTON_AFTER_DARK.html
Pro Wrestling, comics, and prepping to be coming up soon.

Of Seraphim and Cherubim is now available to buy through Kindle! 
http://amzn.to/UHWIiX

Offline Taylor3006

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 12:37:54 AM »
Yeah free ones are easy enough to get. Locally owned restaurants or bakeries are good too. Offer them a buck for a bucket with lid and most business owners will jump on it. The tack room in my barn is filled with buckets gotten for free or hardly nothing.
"Can our form of government, our system of justice, survive if one can be denied a FREEDOM because he might abuse it?"    Harlan Carter

Offline Nicodemus

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 08:00:52 AM »
I used to be able to get buckets at Wal-Mart and Sams until they instituted a recycling policy and cut off the giveaways.

I also used to be able to get them from time to time at various supermarkets throughout the area, but it's getting harder and harder to get them unless I happen to be there when a bucket is emptied.

Whatever the reason, more often than not I have had to buy buckets instead of relying on free sources.

My previous goto source for buying food grade buckets had been Tractor Supply, but of late it seems as though they are often out of stock.

It might be because I live in a farming community and they're pretty popular with the farmers.

It  might also be the case that since this is such a small community and prepping is becoming a little more widely adopted that people are snagging up all of the buckets wherever they can find them.

The area Lowes probably started stocking food grade buckets because there was a notable increase in people asking if their regular buckets were food grade and saw an easy way to make a buck.

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 09:58:20 AM »
Great deal on the buckets, thanks for posting.  If you're looking for the best deal on Gamma Seal lids, Baytec is the way to go.  As low as $4.95 each if you buy a dozen (they go down to $3.95, but I don't think I need a pallet of them).
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline Nuttin'honey

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 04:24:39 PM »
Just in case people are wondering if they are food grade: They are. They are manufactured by Encore and their white buckets are food grade according to the Encore website.  Walmart used to carry the exact same bucket for less but they recently switched to a colored non food grade with the Walmart logo on it.  I used to get mine free at Sams and they started telling me they didn't have any to give away anymore because they recycled them. Not sure I believed that story. But the price at Lowes is fair and I don't have to pay shipping.

Offline Illini Warrior

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 01:51:54 PM »
Just in case people are wondering if they are food grade: They are. They are manufactured by Encore and their white buckets are food grade according to the Encore website.  Walmart used to carry the exact same bucket for less but they recently switched to a colored non food grade with the Walmart logo on it.  I used to get mine free at Sams and they started telling me they didn't have any to give away anymore because they recycled them. Not sure I believed that story. But the price at Lowes is fair and I don't have to pay shipping.

If you read the Encore website correctly ..... only their PREMIUM GRADE buckets are food grade ....... there's all kinds of FDA requirements that differentiate between a food grade and a paint bucket ....... substantial costs involved

This same "Encore" posting, but "Wally World buckets are food grade" instead, circulated a few months ago ........ if you think Lowes can buy a $6 bucket and retail it for $3.50 ....... God Bless you
Illini Warrior

Offline Nicodemus

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 07:28:47 PM »
This same "Encore" posting, but "Wally World buckets are food grade" instead, circulated a few months ago ........ if you think Lowes can buy a $6 bucket and retail it for $3.50 ....... God Bless you

I'm not sure what email you're talking about regarding Walmart Buckets, but the post is regarding what I saw recently on a trip to Lowes. Are you saying that the buckets advertised as food grade by Lowes are not in fact food grade or is this just in regards to nuttbush54's post?

They actually were marked $3.99 down from $4.55. I must've gotten the numbers scrambled in my mind in the first post when I wrote, "The new buckets are advertised as Food Grade and sell for $3.59 if I recall correctly." . My apologies for the price mix up. So, you are correct, they can not sell it for $3.50, they can however sell it for $3.99.

The gasketed lids were advertised as $1.47.

Or did you mean that a food grade bucket and lid cost $6.00? If so, $5.46 for both isn't that far off from that.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 08:57:18 PM by Nicodemus »

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 02:19:18 AM »
On your way to Lowes to get a hand-full of buckets, stop by the local Post Office and request a few moving kits. They have 10% off Lowes coupons in them. This brings the bucket and lid cost under $5, not too bad.

FYI, Home Depot honors the Lowes coupon. ;) Home Depot also offers a 10% military discount.
Making the best of the DASH.

Offline Nicodemus

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
On your way to Lowes to get a hand-full of buckets, stop by the local Post Office and request a few moving kits. They have 10% off Lowes coupons in them. This brings the bucket and lid cost under $5, not too bad.

FYI, Home Depot honors the Lowes coupon. ;) Home Depot also offers a 10% military discount.

Nice Tip! Thanks, bartsdad!

Offline MuddyFork

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 03:28:35 PM »
The central Indiana store I shop doesn't have them. Only the grey ones.  :P
In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish man devours all he has. 
Proverbs 21:20
If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.
I Timothy 5:8

Offline jim

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 02:12:54 PM »
I just ought 2 at Lowe's in Springdale, Ar. They are located in the paint section. Nice buckets if you can stand the Lowe's logo. Don't bother to ask for them at the information desk, they won't know what you are talking about. Jim

Offline MuddyFork

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 11:20:05 AM »
They got some in at the local Lowes and I bought 5. Thanks for posting this Nicodemus.
In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish man devours all he has. 
Proverbs 21:20
If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.
I Timothy 5:8

Offline CBP

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 02:13:36 PM »
Excellent!  I'll quietly admit that I have lovely orange buckets and a couple white ones from TSC.  Everything in them is in mylar though.  The the white ones have open bags of salt and bread flour. 

I sent my dad to sweet talk the ladies at our local large grocery store and they too said that they now recycle them.  Since that level of store is a 40 mile round trip, I just buy what I need rather than spend the gas to come up empty. 

A small hardware/feed mill nearby had some gasketed lids, as well as some heavy white buckets.  I asked the owner if they were food grade.  He said that no one had ever asked him that before.  I took note of the brand and they were Encore, so from your descriptions they are food grade.  (no OPSEC blown with this guy, not with my curly Q hair and ever present pink shirt, not taken seriously!)
I'm gonna show him what a little girl's made of . . . Gun powder and lead  
Lambert/Little

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »
My local Lowes does not stock them, but I will be ordering up a half dozen (I don't need that many, but when I switch to all grain brewing I am going to want to store 50lbs or more base grain)
"You are your most precious commodity along with those you spend your life with. Time is how you spend that commodity. Dont let anyone spend it for you."    - yrone
The problem with society today: Stupid doesn't hurt anymore.
www.allthingsonmybrain.wordpress.com

Inflateable goat Get him... before he gets you!

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 04:26:31 PM »
I was surprised to see them at my small town Lowe's, but noticed that the stockers like to stack them upside down on the floor.  This abrades the lip of the bottom bucket.  If someone is depending on the gasket seal of the lid, they may wish to check the bucket rims carefully.

Thanks for posting this Nic, I had no idea Lowe's carried these!

~TG

Offline Nicodemus

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 04:28:09 PM »
Good to know. I didn't think about the bottom bucket getting messed up.

Offline nkawtg

• Survival Demonstrator
  • NKAWTG
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 05:04:48 PM »
Go to Lowes online you'll find them there. Enter 356492 in the search box and it will take you to the bucket.
Click on "Find Store Pickup Locations" to see if a local store has them in stock.
If not my estimated shiping to Las Vegas for 10 buckets was $8.
Psalm 109:8

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 08:34:13 PM »
Great deal on the buckets, thanks for posting.  If you're looking for the best deal on Gamma Seal lids, Baytec is the way to go.  As low as $4.95 each if you buy a dozen (they go down to $3.95, but I don't think I need a pallet of them).

For Wholesale Price loads Please Call;As Low As $3.98 in Multiple Pallet Loads. We are A Gamma2 Master Distributor.

Something tells me that you might have to buy more than 48 gamma lids to get that price -
1 - piece is 12 gamma lids
 # Quan of cases         Case price         Per Lid
1 - 10 pieces      $71.40 ea.          $5.90 
11 - 20 pieces      $68.40 ea.          $5.60
21 - 30 pieces      $65.40 ea.          $5.45
31 - 47 pieces      $62.40 ea.          $5.20
48 + pieces      $59.40 ea.          $4.95     576 total lids - $2,851.2 + shipping

I am not saying there not food grade, but when going to Lowes and Go to Lowes online and enter 356492 it did not say "food grade".  But it does say
    5-Gallon Polyethylene Bucket
    FDA Approved Pail
    Thicker density design for tough-duty jobs

This sort of leads me to think that they are good quality buckets.  If the local store had any I would make sure that they are BPA free and buy a good dozen if they stocked them.

[Edit:  Yes I would consider buying from this company on the gamma lids - however; with the Prep event coming soon to Denver I remember that the prices for gamma lids there was quite good.  Next time I will bring some cash with me to stock up.]

Brad(bn4) - In Colorado

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 09:08:46 PM »
Guess I bought just in time.  Looks like the prices went up after I got my last order.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 10:18:42 PM »
Order placed.  Since they don't have them in the store, they will be shipping to my front door.
"You are your most precious commodity along with those you spend your life with. Time is how you spend that commodity. Dont let anyone spend it for you."    - yrone
The problem with society today: Stupid doesn't hurt anymore.
www.allthingsonmybrain.wordpress.com

Inflateable goat Get him... before he gets you!