Photobucket

Author Topic: Re-Seasoning a Rusty woodstove... the old-fashioned way!  (Read 3443 times)

Offline statesofmind

• Survivor
Re-Seasoning a Rusty woodstove... the old-fashioned way!
« on: August 22, 2011, 09:41:14 AM »
Hey All!  I decided it was time to restore one of my woodstoves.  Quite a bit of surface rust, but nothing that made it un-restorable.  Started with a wire brush and drill to remove all that I could.

I decided that I did NOT want to use hi-temp paint and all the problems that go with it.  i wanted to do it how it was apparently done for many years... oiling the stove and seasoning it like you would a cast iron pan.   i researched that Lard was what was used for many years. 

So I melted down a stick and began the process.

Using some steel wool and rags, I coated the stove as it was heating up.  I continued to wipe on many (10-20) light coats throughout the entire process, while the stove was hot.  This allowed many layers of coating and really helped blend all the colors for a nice look.

Once it began to smoke, the color started coming to life. 

It was at this point that I realized my first and only "issue".  I left the fire bricks in the stove, afraid to overheat the stove.  This caused only the top to begin the seasoning process.  I continued and figured I re-burn the following day with the bricks removed, being careful not to over-fire the stove. 

You can see that the process was working... albeit only on the top half of the stove.  No worries, I'll fix it with a re-burn.

The color changes from a burnt orange to a deep brown/black once it reaches the correct temperature.  Here are the final pics during and after the 2nd burn. I'm very happy with the way this turned out.  A nice deep, gloss finish that is easily retouched in the future. 

This is not a "show" stove, this one works for a living.  I wouldn't recommend this process with a "showy" stove.  I was just MUCH more interested in doing this the "natural" way, much as our forebear's would have.  I mean why pay all that money, wasted paint/chemicals and prep work when it's not necessary?  The whole process ran me $2.50 for the lard and some elbow grease... not much either.  Hope someone finds this helpful. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 10:47:13 AM by statesofmind »
Never work so hard at making a living that you forget to make a life...

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
Re: Restoring-Reseasoning a Rusty woodstove... the old-fashioned way!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 10:08:20 AM »
Wow, nice work! It looks great, and should be easy to maintain.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Re-Seasoning a Rusty woodstove... the old-fashioned way!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 11:32:22 AM »
beautiful!
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 12:20:50 PM »
great idea, thanks for showing it to us.

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 12:36:36 PM »
Perfect timing for a great tutorial! :)
Thanks!
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline statesofmind

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 01:29:39 PM »
Thanks for the kudos.  It's a great little stove that will keep my home nice and toasty in the event of a loss of power.  It's actually my secondary heat source.  My first is a wood pellet stove that's been treating me very well here in Northern Maine.  I also have oil fired boiler as a third source... but I haven't spent a penny on oil in 2 seasons, and I'm not going to start now! 
Never work so hard at making a living that you forget to make a life...

Offline kryptiea

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 10:13:28 PM »
Nice stove rusty or not