Author Topic: Virginia Earthquake  (Read 21354 times)

Hare of Caerbannog

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
Re: Virginia Earthquake
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 12:14:08 PM »
Just saw it on the USGS site.

Hare of Caerbannog

Hare of Caerbannog

Offline nctrees

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 12:20:39 PM »
We just felt the aftershock from the 5.8 earthquake in Richmond VA about 25 minutes ago. It slightly shook the building here in Charlotte NC for almost 30 seconds. Heard from friends that it was felt down in Spartanburg SC as well.

Hurricanes: 7
Quakes: 1

+1 for the bucket list :)

Makes me really think about that fault line running through the South now. 

- Kevin

Offline ublinkd

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 12:21:22 PM »
I am down in Hampton VA...we felt it! It was my first earthquake! I have never felt more out of control in my life. the good news was it was so quick you didnt have much time to be frightened. oh and in minutes cell and land line were clogged to the point you couldn't call out. Stay safe and prepared people!

Art in VA

Offline nctrees

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 12:30:21 PM »

- Kevin

Offline Alpha Mike

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I'm preparing for a lack of imagination.
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 12:33:41 PM »
Yawn, we don't even get out of bed for a 5.9 in Kalifornia any more.
Not a lot of news coverage on it.  Have not seen anything about damage yet.  Hope it was minimal.

Offline spartan

• Ass Hat Hitman
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Battle Hippie
    • The Permaculture Podcast
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 12:38:59 PM »
I'm in Harrisburg, PA and it was felt here.  Also in Reading, York, and Carlisle. 

The report is that this was a shallow earthquake and that is why it was felt so widely, including NYC and parts of North Carolina.

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 12:42:26 PM »
Yawn, we don't even get out of bed for a 5.9 in Kalifornia any more.
Not a lot of news coverage on it.  Have not seen anything about damage yet.  Hope it was minimal.

::)

It was my first earthquake! oh and in minutes cell and land line were clogged to the point you couldn't call out. Stay safe and prepared people!

Art in VA

I'm in Baltimore.  It was my first quake too!  Felt like someone really really heavy was running down the hallway at first.  Then it started going sideways.  Our land and cell lines were quickly clogged at that point too.  It took about 3 minutes for the lines to clog.

Offline cigarmitch

• Prepper
  • Cigardener, shooter, hiker, survivor.
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 12:43:13 PM »
We felt it mildly here in Abingdon Virginia (SW). Nothing too bad, the transplants from cali that work for me didn't feel a thing and I only noticed because the windex bottle, window and welding tank outside the window were moving back around... I thought it was just my eyes being funky. Turns out, it was real.

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 12:50:56 PM »
Here on LI we felt it pretty good.
Not panic level but it was pretty surprising.
We don't get them very often around here.
It does add a little excitement to the day.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 12:56:32 PM »
I'm in DC for a meeting and most people evacuated the ballroom, leaving us Californians to chat amongst ourselves. 

Offline NickyTheHeel

• Senior Survivalist
    • Fr33agents (libertarian website)
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 01:02:36 PM »
Here in Boston my girlfriend felt it and noticed the chair next to her shaking.  I grew up in Los Angeles and I did not feel it but a couple minutes afterwards I got a dull headache which is normal for me when an earthquake hits.  I have several friends in and around Boston who say they felt it.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 01:07:05 PM »
We felt it here in Pittsburgh pretty well. I am on the 4th floor of an office building that was swaying enough to cause the light fixtures and heating ducts to start swinging back and fourth.

While not terribly worried we all got up and left the building — it was a good excuse to get out of working for some of the afternoon!

But seriously I just found out that in the event we need to QUICKLY evacuate the building I am in, if I don't jump out of my chair and BOLT to the stairway I am as good as dead in a real danger scenario.

It was probably 15 minutes to get out of the building from the 4th floor because the stairways were completely packed.

Offline mangyhyena

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 01:07:24 PM »
I'm in NJ & felt it.  Maybe lasted 8 seconds or so.  No big deal.  All 7 of us made it outside just as it stopped.

Had bathtub filled, BOB loaded in truck, along with food & water supplies, within 10 minutes.  Will leave tub filled till we know it's all over for sure. Trying to think of anything I missed, for future events so I can do it better.

endurance

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 01:15:11 PM »
But seriously I just found out that in the event we need to QUICKLY evacuate the building I am in, if I don't jump out of my chair and BOLT to the stairway I am as good as dead in a real danger scenario.

It was probably 15 minutes to get out of the building from the 4th floor because the stairways were completely packed.
I've learned to be a bolter myself.  Every fire alarm I'm across the street ordering my coffee before my boss even makes it out of the building.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 01:34:16 PM »
I'm in DC for a meeting and most people evacuated the ballroom, leaving us Californians to chat amongst ourselves.

I don't know why, but this amused me.  still chuckling.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 01:42:51 PM »

LOL! I was wondering if any Californians were there, chuckling to themselves. ;D

We felt it here in Pittsburgh pretty well. I am on the 4th floor of an office building that was swaying enough to cause the light fixtures and heating ducts to start swinging back and fourth.

That's typical rolling quake behavior. I expect you weren't "jolted" too badly then. Rolling quakes are the best kinds. It's like being on a swing that is moving back and forth without you wanting it to move at all. Much better than a jolting earthquake that makes the floor drop out from under you and then shove itself back up into your shins without you wanting it to do so. Jolting quakes tend to make light fixtures jump and then snap downwards again. Not fun at ALL.

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011, 01:45:09 PM »
I just saw this and had to share it...
http://jmckinley.posterous.com/dc-earthquake-devastation

Offline leakfinder

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2011, 01:52:13 PM »
Felt it here in Fort Mill, SC.  Was at work and talking to a friend.  Felt the floor moving below my feet looked up and a ladder rack that we run fiber and copper cables on was swaying as it was suspended from the ceiling.  Lady out front told me the roof sounded like a herd of elephants was on the building.  It was my first, but I knew the minute I saw the swaying what it was.  They just had a 2.8 aftershock about an hour ago.

The fault line that this one was on is less than 15,000 years old according to the USGS.  Last big earthquake on this one was back in the late 1800s.  To get on fault lines in the Carolinas, you have to go into the western NC mountains and on the coastal plain.  The piedmont areas can have small tremors, but no major fault lines are recorded that are younger than 1.6 million years old.

Be safe!

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2011, 01:58:08 PM »
That's typical rolling quake behavior. I expect you weren't "jolted" too badly then. Rolling quakes are the best kinds. It's like being on a swing that is moving back and forth without you wanting it to move at all. Much better than a jolting earthquake that makes the floor drop out from under you and then shove itself back up into your shins without you wanting it to do so. Jolting quakes tend to make light fixtures jump and then snap downwards again. Not fun at ALL.

Californians..... you have descriptions for your quakes.  I love it!

note: mods, there are 2 threads on this topic, can we merge please?

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2011, 01:58:56 PM »
I just saw this and had to share it...
http://jmckinley.posterous.com/dc-earthquake-devastation
damn, beat me to it. you are a quick hare!!

Offline hd45hunt

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2011, 02:00:47 PM »
Felt it mildly here 100 miles north of NYC.  Felt like washing machine was moving the house, but nothing was running.  By the time I walked outside it was over.  Hope everyone fairs well.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, 02:03:08 PM »

Yes ma'am. On it right now.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 02:09:19 PM »
Yes ma'am. On it right now.

thank you - you rock :) (but not in an earthmoving, quake-y sort of way :D)

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2011, 02:17:22 PM »
Californians..... you have descriptions for your quakes.  I love it!

We're  like Eskimos and snow!

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2011, 02:25:40 PM »
I'm in southwest Va and it was interesting to feel my first quake, the pictures rattled and the dog went nuts. The house shook for about 10 seconds and that was it. Interesting but nothing spectacular. Around the Richmond area there was damage.

streaming news for anyone interested http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wtvr-live-stream-ti-stream,0,3253939.tividlivestream
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 02:53:24 PM by Roknrandy »

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2011, 02:46:47 PM »
Work is between DC and Baltimore.  I was on the 3rd floor, we've felt 2 other small quakes in the past couple years.  This one started the same way and was a little bit of rumbling for about 30 seconds.  Just long enough to get us standing up then the main part of the quake shook us side to side.  They evacuated the building.  One of the other buildings down there had the sprinklers set off.

That's the biggest one I have felt.  There was a ~6 while I was stationed in San Diego, but I was stationed there at age 21 and it was on a weekend.  So I was too drunk to feel it.  The only reason I knew it happened was people came running out of their rooms.