Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 5783466 times)

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #26100 on: February 06, 2020, 04:37:58 PM »
Made and successfully tested a peg plate, a handy tool to make pegs for beam joinery and timeberframing. Several holes from square to round, that you hammer pieces of split wood through to shape their crosscut. Always good to have another tool that helps you to build stuff by yourself.

The pegs got used in my interier carpentry project, part of medieval style bedroom project. The beam structure is all done now, glued and pegged together and most of the joints look pretty good for a beginner's work. Making traditional carpentry and timberframing joints with handtools is IMO a good skill to have in one's prep/self-reliance set.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #26101 on: February 07, 2020, 05:20:30 AM »
Making traditional carpentry and timberframing joints with handtools is IMO a good skill to have in one's prep/self-reliance set.

Yes absolutely I would say.

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #26102 on: February 07, 2020, 03:56:57 PM »
The other day, my son was showing me his "Threat Analysis." Yesterday, I did a search for a list of disasters in the Pittsburgh area. Other than very local disasters (house on fire, chemical spill down the road, neighbors meth lab, etc.) there were only a few that I could find. The Great Fire of Pittsburgh in 1845 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Fire_of_Pittsburgh,) the Johnstown Flood of 1889 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnstown_Flood,) the crash of USAir Flight 427 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USAir_Flight_427,) the crash of United Airlines Flight 93 on 9/11 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_93,) and two blizzards for which I have been present. Beyond this, there are occasional utility outages, but they normally only last a few days to a week.

Of all of these disasters, the fire, flood and plane crashes caused a tiny number of people to need to bug out. These bug out situations (plus the very local disasters mentioned above) were for a very limited length of time (a couple of days,) and could be spent at a friend's, or relative's place, or a hotel. (Although, the fire was rude and trashed everyone's belongings, :( but that was nearly 200 years ago.)

The blizzards were bug-in situations. In our 30 years here, we have had only a few blizzards, and they were all over within a few days (the 1993 blizzard - one of the worst - actually had all of the snow melted within three days.) A weeks worth of panty has been plenty for these blizzards.

Pittsburgh is really a pretty polite (disaster-wise) city. To handle all of the historical bug-out disasters, all you need is a 72-hour kit in your car, with money for a few days at a motel. For the bug-in disasters, a weeks worth of food and a well-stocked blackout kit is all you really need.

This, of course, does not cover all possible disasters (solar/nuke EMP, attack on our nuclear power plant, pandemic, etc.) So, I am continuing to build up my bug-in pantry, and blackout kit, supplies. I also have a reasonable 72-hour BOB for Mrs. ChEng and one for myself already in the car (along with a few MREs, my field jacket and several blankets,) and enough money for four nights in a motel.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #26103 on: February 07, 2020, 04:19:17 PM »
Sounds like a good plan Chief

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #26104 on: February 07, 2020, 05:30:45 PM »
Sounds like a good plan Chief
Thanks Stwood, I actually already have about three to four weeks of pantry already, but I want more. Also, my blackout kit, while pretty good, can still use some more supplies. Thus the...

...So, I am continuing to build up ...

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #26105 on: February 07, 2020, 05:36:09 PM »
Can never have enough, I think.
I'm pretty sure we're at a 2 year stock. Planning on stretching that to 5.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #26106 on: February 07, 2020, 08:20:26 PM »
First pieces of the first production serie of my tactical hatchet are being delivered to customers this week. It's based on a unique 9th century fighting axe used quite exclusively in our country back then. I brought it not only back to life in a modern incarnation, but also returned it to our armed forces, as several soldiers already bought it :) Why is this posted under prepping deeds? Well, number one, it's part of my self employment and thus self-reliance; second, since I'm already working on another serie and more will likely follow, I should never have shortage of pretty deadly, carryable hand-to-hand weapons (Ok, I admit this was never really a threat in my household). Plus, making them is more and more practice of forging, filing, grinding etc., so another prep bonus.

Also, discovered a manufacturer that makes sort of re-vived ammo, namely 7,62x39. Made of old army surplus, what they do is they take the cartridge apart, clean and galvanize the steel casing, deprime it and put in a new, non-corrosive primer, new powder, re-calibrate the bullet and put it together again...all that for LESS than the surplus ammo costs. It's somewhat suspicious (though it's a legal business, no garage-tinker), so I've decided to get some of it and test it. If it works well, I may buy a larger supply.

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #26107 on: February 08, 2020, 10:18:14 AM »
First pieces of the first production serie of my tactical hatchet are being delivered to customers this week. ...
Knect,
Sorry if I missed this earlier, or in other boards. Do you have a (on-line?) store, or where are you selling these?

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #26108 on: February 08, 2020, 12:49:59 PM »
Knect,
Sorry if I missed this earlier, or in other boards. Do you have a (on-line?) store, or where are you selling these?

If you're on FB, search for page "CustomHistory" and check the latest photos.
If not, send me a PM, I'll be happy to tell you the details. I don't think forum rules allow me to post a link right here.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 12:56:52 PM by Knecht »

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #26109 on: February 13, 2020, 09:20:59 AM »

Laid in a big box of 1200 alcohol wipes. Individually sealed. Can grab a handfull and carry them in pocket or purse.