Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Emergency Preparations

What do you keep in your BOB (Bug Out Bag) & Why?

<< < (3/86) > >>

minrlwtr:
Nobody reponded to my "IF" poem yet, but from all my years of boy to man and answeing questions from the teenagers what is a man or how to be one that has always been my favored answer,if you think about it ,or are somewhat tongue tied when questioned, it is a great referal to what we as an old grizzled one can say a thing or two about if questioned about the meaning.

ColdHaven:
I tried posting this in Region 3 to see, but have not had alot of responses. I thought that this would be a good topic so I am bumping this one back up with my posting of my BOB (of what I have thus far)

Here is my BOB:

Sleeping Bag - 20 degrees
Tent - Sleeps 2
Lensatic Compass
Pedometer
E-tool
4 Canned Heat
Canned Heat stove
2 packs fire starter sticks
1 Mess kit
2 glow sticks
50 feet of 300 lb test nylon rope with hook on end
All purpose gun cleaning kit
Multi-tool
Sun-Block/ Insect repellant
Bottle of hand sanitizer
1 bottle tylenol
1 bottle antihistamine
1 bottle ibuprofen
1 bottle Multi-vitamin
2 cigar tubes of iodine salt
1 small jar of instant coffee
4 energy bars
4 packs of instant miso soup
1 pack ramen noodles
1 Jar beef stock
1 towel
2 sets of shirts (water wicking)
2 sets of pants
3 sets of socks
3 sets of underwear
2 emergency blankets
2 rain ponchos
1 knife sharpener
1 roll fishing line
1 roll gorilla glue duct tape
1 carbiner
Package of 50 disposable wipes
2 Packs of Hot Hands
2 Lrg. packs of Hot Hands
1 sleeping mat
1 waterproof container of matches + striker
1 pipe
2 cans of tobacco
1 tent hammer
unscented deodarant
Hatchet

Some may think that this BOB is lacking however I have developed my own system where my GHB (Get Home Bag) fits onto my ruck via ALICE clips. Here is a link to another forum where posted my GHB. The idea is that if I am away from home then I will have access to my car which has my GHB equipment. Once getting home and I have to bug out then my GHB attaches to my ruck with minimal effort and away I can go.

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34323

Earth Monk:
Nice Desert Dust Goggles Coldhaven!

Really like the concept of the BOB, but the mil gear will be a draw for those with nothing, IMO. Maybe an oversized windbreaker type of jacket, Grey preferably, or a black/OD green poncho for rain weather would be a good addition to conceal the LBE, put the backpack on over top.

BTW, where is the 18" 12ga shotgun in a campchair bag for concealment? jk...

One addition to the extra socks would be Moleskin. It is a thick sticky pad one puts on a place (foot/hand/ shoulder where the backpack straps are) to reduce friction hence reducing blisters. Its cheap, light, and super to have when you need it. I'm willing to bet your feet may be conditioned if you do hiking (start now if your only a prepper in the mind, not in reality). Your dependants (kids/wife) may not have conditioned feet, and their blisters WILL reduce your pace, possibly increasing the risk of danger due to overexposure in an environment or lack of mobility.

-Ras

kernal_panic:

--- Quote from: ColdHaven on November 18, 2008, 11:08:28 PM ---I tried posting this in Region 3 to see, but have not had alot of responses. I thought that this would be a good topic so I am bumping this one back up with my posting of my BOB (of what I have thus far)

Here is my BOB:

Sleeping Bag - 20 degrees
Tent - Sleeps 2
Lensatic Compass
Pedometer
E-tool
4 Canned Heat
Canned Heat stove
2 packs fire starter sticks
1 Mess kit
2 glow sticks
50 feet of 300 lb test nylon rope with hook on end
All purpose gun cleaning kit
Multi-tool
Sun-Block/ Insect repellant
Bottle of hand sanitizer
1 bottle tylenol
1 bottle antihistamine
1 bottle ibuprofen
1 bottle Multi-vitamin
2 cigar tubes of iodine salt
1 small jar of instant coffee
4 energy bars
4 packs of instant miso soup
1 pack ramen noodles
1 Jar beef stock
1 towel
2 sets of shirts (water wicking)
2 sets of pants
3 sets of socks
3 sets of underwear
2 emergency blankets
2 rain ponchos
1 knife sharpener
1 roll fishing line
1 roll gorilla glue duct tape
1 carbiner
Package of 50 disposable wipes
2 Packs of Hot Hands
2 Lrg. packs of Hot Hands
1 sleeping mat
1 waterproof container of matches + striker
1 pipe
2 cans of tobacco
1 tent hammer
unscented deodarant
Hatchet

Some may think that this BOB is lacking however I have developed my own system where my GHB (Get Home Bag) fits onto my ruck via ALICE clips. Here is a link to another forum where posted my GHB. The idea is that if I am away from home then I will have access to my car which has my GHB equipment. Once getting home and I have to bug out then my GHB attaches to my ruck with minimal effort and away I can go.

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34323

--- End quote ---

Ok i realize this is my very 1st post here and you are a mod and this isn't a critique  of you or a personal attack but your BOB is screwed up. let me go through it an explain.

1st off thats thing is really bulky and i'll bet really heavy.

2nd you are missing some really important items.

I'm going to go through your list make some deletions and some additions.

Sleeping Bag - 20 degrees - great if gets that cold BUT the bag you have is super bulky- shop around for a smaller one. I use a 40 degree bag thats about 1/4 the size and weighs 3 pounds.

Tent - Sleeps 2 - thats a pretty bulky and I'll bet heavy tent. there are several good and not expensive 2 man back packing tents in the 4-6 lbs range that are alot smaller than that. as a matter of fact colemans family site (login: family) is having a steep sale for black friday
Lensatic Compass -EXCELLENT!  where are your maps?
Pedometer- what? why? loose it.
E-tool a big what and why but if its something like a s tough sog etool then keep it
4 Canned Heat- bulky and heavy loose it. replace with alcohol or esbit
Canned Heat stove- see above
2 packs fire starter sticks- ok
1 Mess kit- whats in the mess kit? a canteen cup and a spork is all you need.
2 glow sticks- why? you can use them once each. where is your flash light?- replace with an LED headlamp
50 feet of 300 lb test nylon rope with hook on end- ok I like parracord better but to each his own
All purpose gun cleaning kit- how many guns are you bringing? tailor your kit to the firearm being carried
Multi-tool- GOOD!
Sun-Block/ Insect repellant- EXCELLENT!
Bottle of hand sanitizer- why? replace with small bottle of soap. hand sanitizer is just hand sanitizer. soap cleans you, clothes, mess kit, etc
1 bottle tylenol
1 bottle antihistamine
1 bottle ibuprofen
1 bottle Multi-vitamin- loose it you don't need it
2 cigar tubes of iodine salt- what? loose it! replace with a few salt packets from a fast food joint
1 small jar of instant coffee- ok
4 energy bars- ok
4 packs of instant miso soup- ok
1 pack ramen noodles- ok
1 Jar beef stock - ugh ok
1 towel - make it small towl. I carry one of those little terry cloth jobs for car detailing.
2 sets of shirts (water wicking) -ok
2 sets of pants- ok
3 sets of socks- ok
3 sets of underwea -okr
2 emergency blankets- are these the little silver $1 ones or a real one? I carry a heavy duty thick one. the cheapies are just noise producers
2 rain ponchos- you just need 1
1 knife sharpener - a smiths or gerber diamond rod
1 roll fishing line- you don't need a whole roll
1 roll gorilla glue duct tape- you can get a camper sized roll of duct tape at dicks or gander mountian
1 carbiner- what? are you going mountian climbing without a rope? loose it
Package of 50 disposable wipes- loose em see the bottle of soap above

2 Packs of Hot Hands - loose em buy wool mitts
2 Lrg. packs of Hot Hands- same as above buy wool hat
1 sleeping mat
1 waterproof container of matches + striker- get a magnesium fire starter and 2 bic lighters. 1 bic will outlast a box of matches
1 pipe
2 cans of tobacco
1 tent hammer- loose it its what a rock is for
unscented deodarant
Hatchet - loose it. an etool with a sharpened edge works

things you are lacking that are critical:

water purification: get a good filter- tablets don't kill crypto
get some water bladders- you have no water carriers list at all! you can't go more than 3 days without water at best and contaminated water will kill you.
a 1st aid kit. you have no bandages, no antiseptics, nothing but a few pills

you are light on food might want to add some more energy bars and some mountain house meals.

your bob as it is now has got to be heavy I'm guessing 60 lbs?

my 1st interation of a BOB was also ALICE pack based and it weighed 50 LBS!

i'm down to about 25 right now.

robt871:
tylenol and ibuprofen, dont they serve the same purpose

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version