Author Topic: What do you keep in your BOB (Bug Out Bag) & Why?  (Read 342562 times)

Offline GrayMan

• Prepper
  • The nail that sticks out gets the hammer
Re: What do you keep in your BOB (Bug Out Bag) & Why?
« Reply #180 on: September 16, 2010, 02:17:12 AM »
Have noticed several people mention credit cards in this thread. I hope this is in addition to (rather than instead of) cash. Keep in mind that during many localized disasters places that ordinarily accept cards won't be able to if electricity and/or phone lines (and increasingly Internet and leased digital lines) are down as a side effect of the emergency situation.

You should have enough cash to cover the basics no matter what. If you want to have a card in addition to that for redundancy and to increase funds then great.

I carry $200 in my BOB and another $100 in my EDC. Plus $100 in each car. I also have 5oz silver in my EDC, and 10 oz silver and  1 oz gold in my BOB. (if I'm at home, the stuff in my safe is packed in ziplock bags to be easy to grab and go... in which case I'd have substantially more with me. For the sake of discussion let's assume I'm not able to empty the safe.)

I still carry a credit card in the EDC, BOB, and each car. What if I needed a $1200 to repair (or even replace) my car while waiting out a disaster? Carrying that much cash can be problematic... But in most cases a credit card fills the bill nicely.

I use credit cards instead of debit cards for this purpose for several reasons:
  • if stolen, the ramifications of unauthorized misuse are very different
  • can have one in each bag-- my bank won't give me a spare debit card
  • can conserve cash (and account balance) until situation blows over. You never know.

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #181 on: September 16, 2010, 03:44:54 AM »
I like the points that you are making about use of a credit card but, in a SHTF situation the system might be down and the card useless.  I see that that you have included cash as well and yes I understand that the situation might be local but, I just wanted to make this point.  Excellent idea Grayman.

Offline GrayMan

• Prepper
  • The nail that sticks out gets the hammer
« Reply #182 on: September 16, 2010, 05:23:46 AM »
...in a SHTF situation the system might be down and the card useless. 

Yep, that was the entire point of my first paragraph.   :D

During a big storm in my area a couple years ago which left 200K without power, many for well over a week, the gas stations and stores who had any inventory left could only take cash.

Offline kr66p6r13

• Prepper
  • what is taken for granted today, gone tomarrow
« Reply #183 on: September 18, 2010, 11:25:29 PM »
  BOB/GHB is a 22lb back pack consisting of:
 2change of clothes, gloves, bandanna, poncho, phone charger, spare glasses
 zippo lighter, extra flints, Sm bottle of fluid
 1-frontier straw filter, 1-ltr smart water, pack purification tabs, stainless steel bottle
 550 cord, spool 100lb test fish line/3 hooks, 20 zip ties, extra pair boot laces
 7 pouches tuna, 7 pouches oatmeal, 2 bottles 5hr energy, 8 granola bars
 7oz beef jerky, 10 oz canyon mix, 7 emergen-C mixes. mini mess kit
 12x12 sheet thick plastic, solar blanket, trash bag, 2-1gal freezer bags
 custom med kit w/ surgical mask & gloves, SOG knife & multi tool combo, duct tape
 sling shot, sewing kit in mini altoids tin, 6 glow sticks, S&W 99 40 cal w/2 8R mags
 I keep extra box of 100 rounds in glove box. BOB/GHB stays in the trunk with 2.5 
 gallon water bottle.

Offline C.J.

• Prepper
« Reply #184 on: September 21, 2010, 04:22:25 PM »
I really appreciate this thread....as this is something i have not done yet. I have been picking up items here and there as I can afford them to build one, as I don't want to pull from the supplies I have put up for the house...the pics are very helpful. I am so glad I found the forum. :)

Offline Ron

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #185 on: September 23, 2010, 01:44:30 PM »
I have just started building my BOB which will be kept in my car. Does anyone insure there bug out bag ?  If you add my gun and $300-$400 cash you start to get a expensive BOB. Any thoughts?

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #186 on: September 23, 2010, 02:56:25 PM »
Ya, I have one of these from pacsafe; http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=49

It wraps around your bag to securely locking it from theft. I got a couple for our trip to Europe a couple of years ago, My wife and I were there backpacking for 5 weeks. I never had any problems, it was nice to lock it up in our room or on the train. You could still get into some of the pockets but like everything it buys you time and large items can't be removed easily. I now keep it wrapped around our BOB's in the trunk of my wife's car locked to the frame and in my truck I keep it locked to the frame of the back seat. The only issue I have with it is the key lock they give you... I picked up some combo locks instead... so no keys needed. Their spendy at around $75 for the 120L size.

Like everything in the bag, it all adds up. I think if I had to replace the bag and everything it would cost me around $400-$500 for each one, I don't keep any firearms in any bag.. always on me or locked in my safe.

endurance

« Reply #187 on: September 23, 2010, 04:05:54 PM »
I have just started building my BOB which will be kept in my car. Does anyone insure there bug out bag ?  If you add my gun and $300-$400 cash you start to get a expensive BOB. Any thoughts?
Good question.  Personally, the gun is always in an in-car safe (used to sponsor Jack, can't recall the manufacturer) and my cash is in a concealed pocket on my belt that I wear every day.  They're cheap belts that only last about a year, but the price is unbeatable.  Don't expect the zipper to last if you do anything put put money in once and unzip it only when you're ready to replace it.  They just don't hold up well to zipping and unzipping, but for concealment, they rock.

Currently my GHB is in a day pack in the trunk, but I'd eventually like to mount locking medium-sized ammo can for the more expensive items (flashlights, headlamps, knives, etc.).  Better yet, take a look at the 505 project pictures for information on concealing goodies and building secret compartments.  Some beautiful work there!

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #188 on: September 23, 2010, 05:01:41 PM »

FYI...your cars insurance does not cover the contents of the car.   Any of your "stuff" in your car is under your homeowners/renters insurance.

Offline OffTheGidReady

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Prepare for the worst, expect the best.
    • Off The Grid Ready
« Reply #189 on: September 23, 2010, 09:33:35 PM »
Part of my kit includes a CRKT folding knife, Ontario Knife SG1 fixed blade fighting knife and a KA BAR 1248 Machete. Plus I have some silver dimes and a few silver bars for TEOTWAWKI

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #190 on: September 29, 2010, 08:02:01 AM »

Ron, check out Randy's video on setting up a BOB on the cheap.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=3.msg190436#msg190436

Also, when you get the chance, please stop over at the Intro Thread and introduce yourself.

Offline Kwitzats

• Survivor
« Reply #191 on: September 29, 2010, 09:00:19 AM »
Firetacks just because

Offline captaind172

• Prepper
« Reply #192 on: September 29, 2010, 08:58:55 PM »
I noticed many people use bags that look almost militaristic.  Is there a reason why people are choosing these styles over a hiking/backpacking bag like a Gregory or Osprey?

Offline MToons

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #193 on: September 29, 2010, 09:26:40 PM »
I've noticed the same thing Captain D and welcome to the forum.  I think the military packs are popular for the modular aspect.  The ability to quickly add or subtract smaller packs for a specific purpose is a huge advantage.  But personally I like the hiking packs for the comfort, weight, and carrying load.  Check out backpacker.com for great videos and reviews. 

Offline The Fishin Magician

• Prepper
« Reply #194 on: September 29, 2010, 09:49:29 PM »
  Is there a reason why people are choosing these styles over a hiking/backpacking bag like a Gregory or Osprey?

1.) Fashion
2.) Function

Fashion: Some folks are into the "Tacticool" look. I guess it can be appealing to the "mall ninja" in all of us, to a certain degree. ;D

Function: Military-styled packs tend to come in more muted, natural colors; they're usually pretty modular thanks to PALS/MOLLE webbing attachment points and accessories; they're also usually built tougher than standard hiking/backpacking packs, so they'll last through punsihing conditions and over the long haul.

Price can also come into play. Actual mil-surp stuff can be found and purchased very inexpensively.

endurance

« Reply #195 on: September 30, 2010, 07:51:46 AM »
My car GHB is nothing more than a free pack I got as a safety award from the forest service 10+ years ago.  It's green, so it's muted, it has heavy duty zippers, it has several pockets to help me stay organized, and I've worn it for 12 hours of hunting, so it's comfortable enough, but not as good as my Osprey.  I'd rather not tie up my good gear that I use on a regular basis.  I like my system modular so I can open a pocket and, for instance, pull out my day pack wilderness survival kit (it's ultra-minimalist, has no food in it, but covers the basics of water purification, emergency shelter, first aid, signaling, pocket chainsaw, cordage, compact headlamp, and fire starting) if I'm going on an unplanned short hike.  Another pocket is road signaling stuff (flares, Cylume light stick, flashlight, headlamp), another is entertainment (playing cards, book, old i-pod w/ headphones and AA charger, notepad & pen, small light).  One pocket is convenience items (sunscreen, bug dope, toiletries and TP, etc.).  The main compartment is mostly food and warm clothing.  On the outside I have a small entrenching tool and hatchet.  I keep my water separate since it has a tendency to leak and occasionally burst during cold weather and I don't want to risk the rest of my gear getting wet.  Bulkier kit that varies by season (boots, sleeping bag, etc.) just stay loose in the trunk since they need to get moved around a lot.

Offline captaind172

• Prepper
« Reply #196 on: September 30, 2010, 09:37:39 PM »
Thanks for the information on hiking bags vs. the military bags.  The modular makes a lot of sense, as well as the price.  I love the way my Gregory feels for long hikes, but a key difference is that not everything is accessible quickly.  My Gregory is mostly designed to be unloaded when I'm read to stop for the day. 

Offline Russet

• Prepper
    • The Blessed Bees
« Reply #197 on: October 08, 2010, 06:39:19 PM »
Can buy a ALLICE or a MOLLE  pack for 30-35 dollars with frame...same thing commercially will set you back a few hundred =). Military guys and gals do ALOT of marching with lots of weight...they have to be tough, fit everything you need, and be comfortable.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #198 on: October 08, 2010, 09:42:19 PM »
There is a lot of nice used military gear out there at good prices.  I picked up a medium size Alice pack for 15 dollars - no frame - and a new frame + straps only cost me 25 dollars more.  I also picked up 2 large Alice packs for 60 dollars with frames that I plan on using  in the back on my SUV for bad weather gear.  I would post a link, but the guy that I have ordered from can be real slow shipping materials - so maybe looking at Amazon might not be a bad idea.

I have been working on a bunch of smaller "packs" / kits / add on's.  This way I can use one of my back packs and just toss in what sub-kits (medical, tools, etc) that I need.   I have a gun bag, etc with a fairly good size medical bag.  I use to carry a $100 dollar bill in my wallet, now I think that a few smaller denominations might be more useful so I don't have to worry about someone making change.  I also have a water kit + spare water bottle with filter + spare.    If I do the modular kit - I know I will have to keep all the items in one location with a check list to show whats in each sub kit. 

I need to pick up my 3rd portable radio so I can toss that in the kit.  I have  nice water proof state map that I bought when I use to take weekend trips on my motorcycle.  That style map is useful, and you don't have to worry about spilling on it.  It is real easy to over load the BOB, and depending on the style (day / weekend / 72 hour +) impacts the overall size.

The big hole in my bug bag is the lack of MRE's or other ready to eat foods.  If I am on a road trip I do stock up with dried snack food, etc - but it would be nice to have a bit more than water to drink in the car.

Brad - In Colorado

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #199 on: October 09, 2010, 09:40:38 AM »
DUDE!

I just found the most awesomest junk on earth. Crystallized lemon!!!

It comes in a box of little packets like you'd expect sugar to be in, but they're little foil packs of dehydrated, granulated lemon juice. Two packs make a normal sized bottle of water (half liter or so) taste like lemonade!

Pretty inexpensive compared to the price of actual lemons, I'd say about half the price, and they've got a shelf life that approaches the current age of the solar system.

Ok, more like a few years, but you get my drift.

So, I've now got about half a dozen packets in my BOB. Also, consider taking two cans of sardines and duct taping them rim-to-rim so that if you drop something on them they don't pop the lid open. I have sardines, herring/kipper snacks, as well as some vienna sausage and spam. The rest of my BOB/Vehicle preps include two small sterno cans in the car, my cooking pot + large sterno stuffed in a sock and a steel lunch pail with rice and beans, bullion cubes, dried milk, instant coffee, and random condiments like salt, pepper, and sauce packets. This allows me to keep my meals interesting witha  minimum of input from outside the kit.

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #200 on: October 09, 2010, 03:17:54 PM »
DUDE!!

They also have lime and orange...good stuff.

http://www.truelemon.com/

Seriously...try the orange.    ;)

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #201 on: October 10, 2010, 10:06:27 PM »
DUDE!

Thanks for posting the link ;-)

Orange! *nom nom nom*

Offline Greenneck

• Prepper
« Reply #202 on: November 19, 2010, 12:25:30 PM »
I kinda consider my truck my BOB.  But I do keep a bag packed and in the truck too.

I do a lot of hiking, and even before I started prepping I always kept these things in my pack.

DaKine Heli Pro
3L platypus (Always full)
+/- 8 granola bars
Headlamp
Nylon Poncho
2 pair wool socks
Beanie
work gloves
First Aid Kit
Firesteel
Fishing tin
Buck folder
Leatherman
+/- 20 bucks in sacajewea dollar coins
National Forest Map
Compass
Matches/Lighter
Binos
Spare truck key

Inside the camper shell of my truck, I also keep:

Tire chains
recovery strap
jumper cables
Axe and shovel
Toolbox with all the basics
A few pieces of firewood (wheel chocks)
Mexican blanket (Warmth, stretcher, wheelbarrow)
Tarps (2)
Small cooler

No Guns at this point.  Also have a pretty respectable map collection in the cab...and hours of classic rock.

Offline daved

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #203 on: December 08, 2010, 12:58:09 PM »
So I just put together a BOB for the first time. I was resisting doing this since I couldn't see too many things to make me want to bug out, and those that I could come up with were so local in scope that it wouldn't be a problem to stop at a Wal-Mart to buy a change of clothes or whatever else I needed after driving across town to my mom's or mother in law's house.
Once I realized that there were a few things that would make me want to leave, as well as the fact that I can use my bag as a get home bag as well, I figured I'd put one together. I am pretty excited about how it turned out.
First I went to Goodwill and picked up a nice bag for $2.99. It has a Sierra Club logo on it that I could have done without, but other than that it works great, and the price was definitely right.
Inside I have:
1 pair fleece lined wind pants in a gallon sized ziplock bag. They are warm, comfortable, and can be used as light snowpants if needed.
1 lined sweatshirt in a ziplock bag. Nice and warm, has a hood.
1 pair of socks in a ziplock bag.
1 pair of underwear in a ziplock bag.
1 t-shirt in a ziplock bag.
(The bags help save a little space, plus keep everything dry. I had considered using the foodsaver to pack that stuff to save even more space, but I like the utility of the ziplocks for carrying water, etc.)
1 winter hat
1 pair winter gloves that could double as light duty work gloves if they had to.
1 space blanket
1 lighter
1 magnesium fire starter
1 compass
5 big garbage bags (one for each member of the family as an emergency poncho)
2 bottles of water
1 extra pair prescription glasses
1 toothbrush (had to buy this $0.79 with a $0.75 coupon for a total of $0.04)
1 tube toothpaste (free from the dentist)
1 bar soap ($0.89)
1 travel size bottle of shampoo ($1.09)
1 travel sized deodorant ($0.99)
1 small pack of dental floss (free from dentist)
4 safety pins (kind of an afterthought - but figured it couldn't hurt)
1 small flashlight (fauxton)
1 pocket knife / fork (like a case hobo - but cheaper)

I still need to add some para cord, and a match safe. I also want to look into some emergency rations.

Basically everything I put in there was more for an unplanned stay at a hotel, not camping out in the woods. Some of it could serve that purpose if it had to, but that is more of a secondary concern for me. I also have a pretty solid list of EDC gear that is with me almost constantly so I didn't duplicate it in the BOB for the most part. (EDC - Leatherman Wave and bit kit, Fenix flashlight, cell phone, bandaids, space pen, cash, credit cards, etc) I also have more stuff in the car to supplement this kit. (water, tools, lights, etc)

I guess the next step is to get the wife and kids on board and make them some bags too. That will be a challenge.

Offline James@sheila

• Fledgling Prepper
  • always remember the fallen fell for you
« Reply #204 on: December 12, 2010, 11:46:33 PM »
Im new hi.
Iv read so much here. My wife and I both have hiked and lived not camped in wild. I have gone homeless also to learn urban survival. Ok haveing said that. I beleive your mind is the most important thing you carry. You must train it well. My pack is small.
Sleeping bag
Tarp
Tack knife
3 mres
Camal for water
First aid with sutures
Meds, high blood presure
Fishing gear
Poncho
Spare pants, military
Fless top
Heavy or light coat
Mess kit
Hobo tool
Hard candy
Walking stick I made it stainless steel and also is a blow gun. 20 darts. Took lots of practice yet to see it you would not know it was a blow gun
Gloves
Bogan, hat.
No maps or compass I know the 100mile area by heart
Iv lived and practeced my art.
Also was trained in anti terrorism very handy
22 rifle, yes ill walk with it
Mind you not being see is great
As I said you should also practice with only cloths on back and contents of pockets.
I do not plan to bug
Yet I have cashes in 6 states and can and will walk if I have to.
Tot less learn more
Great thread. I hope everyone makes it as they plan. But I know some wont. Sorry but this is true. I have spent 20yrs getting ready. Learn so much both to live and also of myself. I wish you all marry and safe christmas.

Offline Have-Gun-Will-Travel

• Prepper
« Reply #205 on: December 13, 2010, 06:07:59 AM »
Few important things I keep in my GOOD bag (Get Out Of Dodge)
Glock 17 and 100 rds
$100 in $5 bills
$25 pre 64 coins all half dollars
U.S. Survival AR-7 and 500 rds  for small game if needed 
http://henryrepeating.com/rifle-survival-ar7.cfm?CFID=4494013&CFTOKEN=55479063

Offline Old Scout

• Prepper
  • "Be Prepared"... It was as true then as it is now!
« Reply #206 on: December 22, 2010, 10:06:28 AM »
One thing I do not see in the lists on this thread are ways to stay clean while "on the road". The purpose of a B.O.B. is to keep you safe, and comfortable for 3-6 days while you transit from an unsafe condition to one of safety.  About day 3 you are going to be wanting a way to freshen up in a bad way and so will your family members.

I found a product called Klenz which is a heavy 2' x 4' size disposable "Shower in a Towel".
They are available online at http://www.ckbproducts.com/klenz-shower-in-towel-p-2796.html and the cost is only $1.49 each.

The site states: KLENZ XXL Shower in a Towel is perfect for your active outdoor lifestyle! A KLENZ towel the most convenient way for you to get, and feel, clean when you don’t have access to fresh water facilities. One towel cleans the whole body! The towel’s size makes it very easy to use, and it is durable enough to get the job done.

The KLENZ XXL Shower in a Towel was conceived and designed by a US military serviceman who, while on a tour of duty, realized the need for a pre-moistened towel that was large enough, and durable enough, to provide a full-body cleaning. This shower in a towel quickly and effectively absorbs sweat and odor and removes dirt easily.  At nearly 2’ x 4’ (2 foot by 4 foot) in size, the KLENZ XXL Shower in a Towel is the perfect size for a myriad of uses.

KLENZ towels are made in the USA, are fragrance-free, alcohol-free, portable, and individually packaged, so they’re always conveniently fresh when you need it!

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #207 on: December 22, 2010, 10:48:34 AM »
I don't see many folks mention quarters. I know the pay phone is obsolete, but the vending machine is not. A kit kat in the hand beats standing in front of the vending machine with a silver coin worth $40.

Offline daved

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #208 on: December 22, 2010, 02:54:38 PM »
I don't see many folks mention quarters. I know the pay phone is obsolete, but the vending machine is not. A kit kat in the hand beats standing in front of the vending machine with a silver coin worth $40.
I'm glad you brought this up. I've been meaning to add some change to mine for just this purpose.
Also, even though the pay phone is obsolete, there are still a few around here and there. It doesn't hurt to have the change to use one in case you happen to have your car break down in front of the one left in town when your cell phone won't get reception.
Another thing that I thought the change might be good for is toll booths. Sure you can blow through it, but if it isn't TEOTWAWKI then I'd just as soon pay the toll. I do have an I-Pass for the car so this isn't a huge deal, but it's just one more potential use for a few quarters.

Offline Medicineball

• Survivor
« Reply #209 on: December 23, 2010, 05:38:45 PM »
I don't know if he/she is a member of this forum or not, but there's a great blog on bug out bags, called bugoutbagquest.blogspot.com

This guy has really thought things through. Good pics.