Author Topic: What do you keep in your BOB (Bug Out Bag) & Why?  (Read 337467 times)

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: What do you keep in your BOB (Bug Out Bag) & Why?
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2010, 11:03:33 AM »
I have not seen a lot of mention of coins - I always stash a few bucks in quarters. Never know when you may stumble across a vending machine or pay phone in your travels.

Good point.  As well as small currency bills for similar reasons. 

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2010, 11:19:38 AM »
Dog leash - For helping out strays, or maybe one of my own if needed.  This is in my GHB, not my BOB.  I've seen strays on my way home from work and didn't have any line.  Certainly any piece of line would work, but I picked up a few cheap ones from the dollar store.

I don't see much in regards to tools.  Crescent, sockets etc.  Other than bushcraft type tools.  A few multi-tools may be handy while in the process of scavanging as needed.  I know its a bit of weight.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2010, 12:51:09 PM »
Extensible ratchet, 1/4" drive, as well as metric and SAE sockets, and an extra deep spark plug socket. And a stanley FuBar. The smaller steel one, not the monster huge one... eeps! Also some hack saw blades, and a few carbide grit reciprocating saw blades. Cuts steel and wood equally well, but won't cut hands - like a stick of really ungodly coarse sandpaper. The smaller ones are good for keychains since they've got a hole in 'em for a jigsaw chuck.

Offline Ian Adams

• Prepper
    • Ian C. Adams
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2010, 12:23:47 PM »
I have not seen a lot of mention of coins - I always stash a few bucks in quarters. Never know when you may stumble across a vending machine or pay phone in your travels.

I keep a single roll of quarters in each of our bags.  If nothing else, I can grab a candy bar from the vending machines.

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2010, 03:06:50 PM »
I'd like to add 1 tool that should be in all our pack or something similar  A CountyComm Breacher Bar!! It Takes up almost no room and can be used to pound/pry/chisel and slice (if sharpened) through almost any SHTF situation. Its also makes a good spare key if you find yourself without a key (LOL)

Offline Greenneck

• Prepper
oops
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2010, 01:17:41 PM »
Tried to post a photo and couldn't get it to work...any thoughts on that?

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: oops
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2010, 07:57:23 PM »
Tried to post a photo and couldn't get it to work...any thoughts on that?
Check out the help section, there should be something there on that. 

amanadoo

« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2010, 07:30:55 AM »
Y'all have given me lots to think about, great thread! I love the pedometer idea for groups who may need to temporarily split up.

And lanolin...I can't even believe I'd never thought of that. FYI, you don't have to get it special from a pharmacy, if u don't want to. They sell it all over the place (and online) for breastfeeding Mommas. There are a few different brands, most of which are pure lanolin.

Offline tetonsky

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2010, 05:04:03 PM »
Picture of my Son, (motivation) 4 Cups dry rice, sunscreen, nature valley granola bar, 2 ckn buon cubes, 6 bottles of h2o, candy, blanket, shoes, with socks stuffed in them, soap, extra long sleeve shirt, 8oz vodka, needles, glucose tablets, bayer for babies (works for heart attacks), led flash light, multi-tool, local maps, survival instruction printout, swiss army knife, loads of pills for almost anything some including;anti diarrhea pills, aspirin, tylenol for preggers wife, allergy pills, cold relief. In a different bag I have Skin treatments such as; hydrogen peroxide, bandages, chaps-stick, sterile bandages, neosporin, anti fungal cream, burn treatment.  Latex gloves.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2010, 11:06:30 AM »
Nice loadout.

It took me five minutes to figure out how you keep 4 cups of dry ice from sublimating...

*facepalm*

Offline Koldsteel

• Prepper
  • Bee Wrangler and Band-Aid passer
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2010, 06:48:10 PM »

I dont have a BOB. I have a smaller E & E kit to get home with. I do keep a zip-lock in my truck console to collect all the coins I might amass from shopping, etc. Im a medical professional so I dont do coins and scrubs. Anyhow, I also have a roll of pre-64 junk silver dimes in my gear. BTW - nice thread - very good info.

Kold

Offline CyborgX

• Survivor
  • Maps don't need batteries
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2010, 07:34:18 AM »
I'm certainly not prepared for everything, but I do have lots of wilderness gear since I like to camp a lot.

I have a backpack that's got:
4 man tent
2 tarps
Sleeping bag (rated for -40F)
Roll pads
Emergency blanket
Edible plants book
Iodine drops
First aid kit
Maps (Metro Detroit, Michigan, USA, a few others for camp sites around MI)
Compass
Notebook/Pencil (pens are no good in the winter)
Water bottles
Hatchet
Machete
Swiss army knife
Buck knife
Tent/boot/backpack repair kit
Duct tape
Flint
Lighter
Matches
Dry bag of kindling
Toilet paper
collapsible shovel
Compression sacks
(All food remains circulated in the pantry)
Portable white gas stove + two extra tanks of white gas.
Portable pots
Money
Backpack cover
I probably forgot to list a few things, but it's all there.

Right now it's also got all my winter gear folded up next to it. Planning on taking a trip out if we ever get some snow here.

Beyond that, I always carry a knife, a compass, a map of the area, some cash, my cell phone, keys, and some trail mix. Don't really have a dedicated BOB yet, but it's in line to being worked on this month.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2010, 04:12:01 PM »
nitrox/butane torch - nice for slicing locks off gates when you forget your key, or for cutting someone out of a car. might run out of nitrous before you get all the way through the door sill, but she'll burn steel like nobody's business.

"archer micro torch" or "micronox torch"

Atom

« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2010, 09:11:03 PM »
I ordered ten catalogs from different places seeds, ammo, and some other places. I love free catalogs.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2010, 09:37:34 PM »
Is that what you keep in your bugout bag, or what you did today to prep?

Atom

« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2010, 10:48:49 PM »
Sorry bud wrong thread.  Im up to speed now. Thanks.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2010, 12:34:15 AM »
*nudge*

No prob man. I use tabs, so sometimes I get 'em mixed up too. Too bad the edit button disappears after 20 seconds or so.

while you're here, what DO you keep in your bugout bag? ;-)

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2010, 09:32:57 PM »
I am not going to post a comprehensive list of everything in my bag.  I carry things that most of us do.  Instead I will post a couple things that I do maybe a little differently that most.

Fire.  I noticed that a lot of folks depend on butane lighters and matches to get the furnace lit.  IMHO this is a mistake for several reasons.  Butane lighters are filled with liquid butane that expands to a gas when used.  But when it is really cold they may not light.  Obviously if they are wet they won't work.  Same thing with matches...even storm proof matches are susceptible to getting damp and dying of old age.  A bad thing for an item stored in a pack for a long time.  And both items will get used up.  A lot of fire starters require both hands to use.  Magnesium bars also need you to be able to scrape a pile of material off into a little pile which can suck in the rain and wind and cold.  Especially if you cannot use both hands. With most of these if you have a wounded hand you very well may be screwed.  I use a Blast match  http://www.ultimatesurvival.com/camping-hiking/BlastMatchFireStarter.php  I can use it one handed with either hand and it can be wet.  I also keep an old peanut butter jar full of assorted tinder so I am ready to go.  I have recently purchased some of this company's wet tinder cubes and they are great.
I am not saying not to carry matches and a lighter...I do...just don't have them as your only method of ignition.

While I carry an axe (an Estwing long handle camper axe) my main wood gathering tool is a Bow saw.  Nice and quiet to use, it is also easier to gather smaller branches from blowdowns.  I carry a PVC tube full of spare blades.

I also see a lot of trowels, folding entrenching tools and similar devices.  While great for lighter duty (admittedly some entrenching tools are ok I just have a distrust of hinges on tools I may have to depend on for survival) like digging crap holes and such I prefer something a little more heavy duty.  I have a Razorback mini shovel  strapped to my pack.  http://www.gemplers.com/product/151384/Razorback-Shovel  I got mine a little cheaper and gave it a nice flat OD green paint job.  I have used these at work and have never broken one but not through lack of trying.

Those are a few off the top of my head.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2010, 08:59:48 AM »
In my particular pack, I found a bow saw (Standard lawn and garden style) to be a wee bit on the bulky side, so I zip tied some saw blades together and got a hacksaw handle. With a little tweaking, reciprocating saw blades work on it as well, and that's what I have for cutting branches. Do you have a more compact version?

Thanks for the blast match link. Definitely on my short list of things to get.

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2010, 09:54:02 AM »
No I use a regular ol 10 dollar bow saw.  I gave it a nice new paint job and store it in a nylon sack.  I also don't keep it in my pack.  I strap it, along with my axe and shovel, on the outside of my pack. 

I have purchased one of these... http://www.vtarmynavy.com/trailblazer-buck-saw.htm but have not had the chance to give it a proper test run as yet.  I figured the longer blade and more room in the handle would allow the harvesting of larger diameter wood than is possible with my bow saw.

I also notice that they have several different saws and the Sawvivor (found down the page a bit) does look like it may be a decent tool but I like my bow saw and until I use up my blade stash, am unlikely to replace it.

Offline volwest

• Senior Survivalist
    • Le survivaliste
« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2010, 11:07:46 AM »
This one (laplander) is great.
Thiner and lighter than your regular bow saw...and cuts 100% better.

http://www.amazon.com/Bahco-BAH396LAP-Laplander-Folding-Saw/dp/B0001IX7OW

Offline Duke66

• Prepper
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2010, 01:11:44 PM »
I carry a Wyoming Saw in my BOB.  I love that thing!  It's not as light as the Laplander but it has multiple types of blades and it comes apart and stores away pretty well.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0006390.shtml

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2010, 01:53:38 PM »
volwest...I looked at that and other folding saws before but I do not trust hinges.  Things like that have a tenancy to break at the most opportune times.  I also purchased two of my saws for less than 20 bucks and stripped one for parts just in case.   Not saying your saw isn't great...just not for me.  As far as 100% better sawing ability...I would have to loose that race to believe it.

Duke66...I also looked at the Wyoming Saw but at the time I was looking at saws I was in a cheap mood.  LOL...So I got two bow saws and spare blades for less than 25 bucks.

Offline volwest

• Senior Survivalist
    • Le survivaliste
« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2010, 06:15:51 PM »
Hey as long as it works for you...it works for me.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2010, 09:45:47 PM »
*ponders*

I think I might have to rig up a battery power supply mod for an electric carving knife. Upgrade the gears to metal, and toss a sawzall blade on it, and see how she does. Solar panels are a must, though...

THAT just might be the ultimate bugout saw.

Thanks for the links and such - I think I will be getting one of the lighter saws. I forgot to mention I also have one of the folding utility saws. Folds like a giant pocket knife, pretty light weight, and the grip comes off to store a couple of blades. I like the SiC grit blades, since they can cut steel (albeit a bit slowly) that poses too much girth for my bolt cutters.

Offline cartpusher

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Survival Gear Bags
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2010, 05:20:20 AM »
I just listed a ton of Bug Out Bag gear for sale at the following thread in the Great Deals Forum:

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=14383.0

Offline monkeybird

• Survivor
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2010, 07:33:44 AM »
I have a 'car' bob that goes everywhere with me.  (I'd hate to have to walk home in high heels)  Anyway, I recently purchased a back pack combination rolling luggage at Costco.  Thanks goodness for the wheels.  No way, at my age, would I be able to carry that thing on my back. (I tried) I tried to decide what to take out to make it lighter, but according to the above lists, I'm traveling light. With the wheels, I can however, roll it along.  I know, it might not roll in the woods, but, in order to carry all the stuff you guys carry, it simply has to roll!

Someone needs to come up with a way for older and or disabled folks to GOOD.

Offline Duke66

• Prepper
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2010, 08:39:50 AM »
I have a 'car' bob that goes everywhere with me.  (I'd hate to have to walk home in high heels)  Anyway, I recently purchased a back pack combination rolling luggage at Costco.  Thanks goodness for the wheels.  No way, at my age, would I be able to carry that thing on my back. (I tried) I tried to decide what to take out to make it lighter, but according to the above lists, I'm traveling light. With the wheels, I can however, roll it along.  I know, it might not roll in the woods, but, in order to carry all the stuff you guys carry, it simply has to roll!

Someone needs to come up with a way for older and or disabled folks to GOOD.

Here ya go!   :)
http://image.4wheeloffroad.com/f/bigdogself/8279733+w450+h338+cr0+re1+ar1/2004-jeep-tj-tj-w-m416-trailer.jpg

Offline monkeybird

• Survivor
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2010, 03:30:41 PM »
What do you do if your walking?

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2010, 05:20:28 PM »
I believe he's making silent commentary on the reliability of the jeep platform.

*sigh*

:P