Author Topic: What do you keep in your BOB (Bug Out Bag) & Why?  (Read 342930 times)

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: What do you keep in your BOB (Bug Out Bag) & Why?
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2010, 09:26:07 PM »
How about a game cart?  ;D

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2010, 12:25:52 AM »
I have a 'car' bob that goes everywhere with me.  (I'd hate to have to walk home in high heels)  Anyway, I recently purchased a back pack combination rolling luggage at Costco.  Thanks goodness for the wheels.  No way, at my age, would I be able to carry that thing on my back. (I tried) I tried to decide what to take out to make it lighter, but according to the above lists, I'm traveling light. With the wheels, I can however, roll it along.  I know, it might not roll in the woods, but, in order to carry all the stuff you guys carry, it simply has to roll!

Someone needs to come up with a way for older and or disabled folks to GOOD.

Monkeybird...one of the worst things you can do is to over pack a bag you intend on carrying.  If you struggle to carry it or even get it on your back it will most likely hurt you more that anything in it will help you.   Let me ask you a few questions and we will see if your bag can be made more manageable.  Keep in mind that just because you keep items in your car does not necessarily mean you have to carry them away from your vehicle.   I see you live in Florida.

What do you envision using your bag for?  Just getting home or losing yourself in the everglades until the crisis passes?

How far do you typically travel from home? 

How far could you walk in good shoes?

How much weight do you feel you could comfortably carry on your back?

Lets start there and work at building a bag that will best fit your circumstances.

Offline monkeybird

• Survivor
« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2010, 08:12:38 AM »
Originally, after reading "One Second After" it was to get home when my car didn't work.  I have sneakers, heavy socks, water pouches, 2 mountain house entree, energy bars.  Everything was ok.  Well, I kept reading about other peoples bags and began to worry that I need more stuff.  So, I added a wind up radio and flashlight, sterno, instant coffee, mess cup, leatherman, first aid kit, fire starting stuff, one of those little saws, tube tent, space blanket, hand and foot warmers,  Ala. and Fl. Deloran maps and probably other stuff I can't remember unless I unpack the bag.  I don't work, and I use the car for club meetings, shopping, that kind of thing.  

To add to the problem, I will no longer drive the newer car, a small convertible.  I insist on keeping the older explorer in case I have to leave in a hurry and need to pack my food stores.  I keep spare gas for that purpose as I go back and forth between Alabama and Florida.  I live in both places.

I know that things are getting worse in our world.  If I need to get from my home in Alabama to my home in the Florida panhandle I want to be able to do so.  My husband humors me but is not involved in anyway.  He tells me to stock up.  He gives me no grief on the stuff I buy, even the solar oven.  He also has heart disease and get extremely short of breath with activity.  So I'm really on my own.  My adult son lives near our Florida home and would be able to do anything I needed done, once I get there.

So, when I read about all the things others are doing, I get a little worried.  I know that my husband could not survive long without his cardiac medications, and fear being totally alone here in Alabama.  I'm a baby boomer, so I'm not that old, I have no health issues.  

Sorry I wrote a book!  What to other women do?

Offline pchambers

• Prepper
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2010, 08:27:31 AM »
Monkeybird,

I'm on my own, too.  My husband rolls his eyes and is completely uninterested.  I can't even get him to think about possible places to bug out, except the obvious family member's mountain house.

Offline Duke66

• Prepper
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2010, 02:39:05 PM »
Monkeybird,

I'm on my own, too.  My husband rolls his eyes and is completely uninterested.  I can't even get him to think about possible places to bug out, except the obvious family member's mountain house.

Guess he'll be staying behind... :o

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2010, 03:11:35 PM »
Are you KIDDING me?

*dies*

Has he never SEEN the cool junk he could convince you to buy for him?!

*dies a fiery death*

Offline keepitlow

• Banned Scumbag
  • Survivor
« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2010, 03:56:10 PM »
I don't put too much effort into bug out gear. I got a small 2 person camper in the driveway. And even without the camper, surviving for a few days is not a big deal unless you are stuck out in freezing cold or NYC. (generally speaking)

I put most of my effort into long term survival preparedness, but I still have some bug out gear on hand.

I keep a cooking bug out pack in an orange ammo box. Got 2 propane cookers with a cylinder in it. One is a stripped down pocket size unit, one is full size.

Also 3 SS cooking cups / drinking mugs, eating utensils, hot bev powders, lighters, sugar, etc., I use it a lot in the winter when I want to cook some soup or hot drinks when skiboarding or snowshoeing.

Keep most of my bug out clothes in my car year round packed away in mesh dividers, nooks and crannies. Gore-TeX, cold survival in gear the winter, some tools, Leatherman Core, compass, pen, paper, L.E.D lights, pepper spray, trekking poles, etc...oh have 3 inflatable Thermarest pillows and pack sink as well. Car had a weather band in it. If I am not in the car have a weather scanner to take. Also have SW world band mini radio.

Bug out food is an easy grab. I keep about a dozen home made low fat high protein muffins in the freezer...grab the bag and have enough things to munch on for a coupe or three days. Also have other ready access foods and lots of bottled water to grab in the house.

Also pack a water filter:

Have many backpacks for different uses. One thing in common with them all is a titanium divers knife mounted on the strap for super easy access...just pull down and it is there.

Also many odds and ends such as pack sink, bivay bag, ENO hammock, bug net for head, roll pile blanket, Thermarest inflatable butt pad, pocket TV (...it will be useless after '09 when digital comes around), Rad D-Tec, face masks, mace and various weapons, bug spray, T.P., 25% alcohol spray and shower adapter with mini hose, faucet keys to fit various hydrants. Wife has her own pack list includes a lady J.

Speaking of backpacks, got a Stihl 192t chainsaw for one pack if needed.

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS192T.html

Sigg fuel bottles carry the gas.

It is a stripped down model and weighs about 7 pounds. It fits in my backpack so I can hike or bike with it.

I took off the anti kickback safety on it to make it fit better and be lighter (not recommended unless you are experienced tree feller...so don't complain if you get hurt by this mod)

Also have a mid size Thermarest pad that is ready in a stuff sack in my house.

Pretty comfy, but if you need more cush go for the Luxury model for more $$

First aid kits? Got many of em from large laptop size for big trips to a mid size in my car to mini packs in my backpacks. All custom made and individualized.

Was on vacation in the USVI and BVI a few years ago. While walking on the beach to photograph a cove with some sailboats I banged my toe into a large rock in the sand. (The Buddhists saying for this..."when one eye is kept on the destination it only leaves one eye left for the journey.")

I hurt my toe pretty bad and had to keep it bandaged throughout the trip as well as when I returned home. It was a real pain in the ass since the dressing was continually getting wet while diving or snorkeling and had to be changed up to 5 times a day. This experience also reminded me of the importance of a good first aid kit (which I luckily had two of with me.)

Mental Avenger

« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2010, 05:22:30 PM »
I have a 'car' bob that goes everywhere with me.  (I'd hate to have to walk home in high heels)  Anyway, I recently purchased a back pack combination rolling luggage at Costco.  Thanks goodness for the wheels.  No way, at my age, would I be able to carry that thing on my back. (I tried) I tried to decide what to take out to make it lighter, but according to the above lists, I'm traveling light. With the wheels, I can however, roll it along.  I know, it might not roll in the woods, but, in order to carry all the stuff you guys carry, it simply has to roll!

Someone needs to come up with a way for older and or disabled folks to GOOD.
I am 62 and have had 6 knee surgeries, including one total knee replacement.  I had a 42 lb pack for over 20 years, and decided there was no way I could carry that. So I decided to downsize.  I put a lot of thought and research into my new kit and got it down to an 8 ½ lb waist pack including the 2 ½ liter bottles of water.

This is a very serious survival kit, with items probably not found in most other kits, and some items not found in any other kit anywhere.  It is compact, yet complete.

Here is a photo of it.

Mental Avenger

« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2010, 05:46:18 PM »
Ultimate Survival Pack Complete 8 ½ bs

Survival With Style Book
(2) Razor Arrowheads
(2) Trash Bag 13 Gal
(2) Trash Bag 30 Gal
Space Blanket
Survival-First Aid Book
Ready.Gov Brochure
Cable Lacing 25ft
Camp Pan
Dental Floss 55yds
Duct Tape 2ft
Paper Water Filters
First Aid Kit
Fishing Gear
Flashlight LED
Gatorade (4oz)
9” Throwing Knife
Sawblade Mini Knife
Butane Lighter
Magnifying Lens (95mm x135mm)
Mirror & Morse Code
MultiTool
Notepad & Pencil
Reading Glasses
(4) Lg Paper Clips
Para Cord 20ft
Poncho
Respirator Mask
Salt
Emergency Wire Saw
Sewing Kit
Storm Shelter
Slingshot slings
Aluminum Alcohol Stove
8 Tea Bags
Water Filter & Tube
Water Purification Tabs
Whistle-Compass-Matches

First Aid Kit
(2) 3x3 Gauze pads      
Steri-Strips   
(2)Sutures   
(2)Lg Bandage   
(2)Antibiotic foil pks
3-pk Betadine swabs      
Moleskin
2 2x3 Non-Adherent pads
36 Asst Bandaids
3 Alcohol Prep Pads

Items included which are updated every six months.
(2) .5 Liter bottles fresh water   
(1) Tuna 6 oz can
(6) Bullion Cubes
(6) Instant Oatmeal Pkgs
(6) Instant Coffee pkgs
(4) Fresh Batteries
(4) Energy Bars
(1) Alcohol, 95% 10 fl oz
(1) Personal Knife
(1 pair) Elk Skin Leather Gloves   
(1) Toothbrush
(1) Disposable Razor   
Most items are packed in various sizes of ZipLock bags.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 05:48:30 PM by Mental Avenger »

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
Monkeybird...correct me at any time but from what you say your primary goal if something happened would be to get to your home in Florida.   What is your husbands view on this?  Would he be willing to go with you?  Also it seems that a supply of his heart meds are in order.  If he said I'm staying in Alabama what would you do?

Offline The Coyote Kid

• Prepper
  • I only gamble with my life, never my money.
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2010, 09:02:50 PM »
Here is the list of my current BOB. Right now it's the only one I have and is the main GOOD bag. I'm going to be working on some smaller ones to keep in the car and take to work with me later, but I wanted some advice on the contents of this one to see if anyone thought I should add or drop some of the equipment on the list.

Top Pouch
Mess Kit
3-piece cook kit with pan, pot and plastic cup
Collapsible fork/spoon/knife set
Waterproof matches
Magnesium firestarter
First Aid Kit
29 Waterproof bandages of various size
10 Butterfly sutures
Two pair of latex gloves
Two triangle bandages with safety pins
1 gauze wrap
Non-sterile cotton balls
Water purification tablets
Q-tips
Waterproof Tape
Trauma Sheers
Tweezers
Thermometer
Medications
Nyquil
Dayquil
Imodium
Benadryl
Acetaminophen
Aspirin
Ibuprofen
Iodine

Main Compartment
Hatchet
E-tool
Tool Bag
Work gloves
3-Piece Sharpening Stone Set
Tool Pouch
6 mini screwdrivers
4 pc ratchet set w/ driver tool and extension
Needle nose pliers
Wire Cutters
Tweezers
9 pc driver bits
Pliers
Hammer
Multi tool
Folding saw
Materials
50’ Paracord
Roll of twine
Zip ties
Nails
Super glue
Electrical tape
Hygiene Kit
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Athlete’s foot spray
Gold Bond powder
Camp soap
Purell
Toilet paper
Food Kit
3 MREs, broken down to save space
Slim Jims
Hard candy
Multivitamins
Waterproof Utility Box
Compass
Emergency Blanket
Pen/Notepad
Signal Whistle
Chapstck

Middle Compartment
Road maps for Houston and Texas
Knife
Binoculars
2 Glow sticks
LED Flashlight

Right Compartment
Hand crank flashlight/radio
A pair of two way radios
Extra batteries

Left Compartment
Roll of trash bags
Deck of playing cards

Most of the things I chose were based on the idea that I wouldn't be traveling alone. Currently I've been unable to convince any of my friends or family of the wisdom of building a BOB, so I try to prepare as best I can for the idea of traveling with them. Some of the items not currently added to the bag are my sleeping bag and my tent, which I'm still trying to find a way to properly attach to the bag (and one of the reasons I've already ordered a new bag with better attachment points).

Offline monkeybird

• Survivor
« Reply #101 on: March 02, 2010, 05:57:24 AM »
Who me . . .He would definitely go with me.  We haven't been married for 35 years for nothing.  If he should get stupid and decide to dig his heels in - I would prepare to leave anyway.  At that point he would probably change his mind.  However if he didn't, it would be stupid of me to stay and watch the ship sink. Loving someone doesn't mean dying because they choose to be stupid.

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #102 on: March 02, 2010, 12:39:38 PM »
Which is pretty much what I figured the situation to be.   So you should prepare two bags, one for each of you that you would be able to carry.  A third kit that would stay in the vehicle that would be primarily gravy to make your trip more comfortable, that you would pack on your mule if you had to abandon your vehicle.

As your home in Florida would be your Bug Out Location, most of your long term survival supplies should be staged there so you would not have to try and move them.  Keeping in mind that the most likely situation that would call for a Bug Out would be economic in nature, you would most likely be able to drive the whole way. 

One thing you should think about is which property would be your best bet for SHTF...in other words would you be better off staying in Alabama and having your son come there.

Another item would be your husband's meds...if he cannot survive without them you should lay as much of a supply as possible. 

The house where you intend on ending up at in a SHTF situation should have most of your long term supplies stored there.  Having your son close is a bonus as he can keep an eye on the place.  Also OPSEC should be a primary concern as you don't want anyone to know the neighbors house is full of food.

Ok as to packs...your new costco pack concerns me.   First if you think "ok i will be able to pull it behind me"  you are more likely to stuff it full of stuff.  Having a bunch of stuff is not in itself a bad thing. BUT...those things are not designed for long duration cross country treks.  The first thing that would happen is you would end up with pulled muscles in your shoulder and back as pulling a case behind you is not how your body is set up.  The second is the little plastic wheels would fall off. 

A far more efficient way to move that "extra" gear is to find yourself a yard sale mountain bike and fix it up.  Set it up with new tires and extra tubes, make sure it is well greased...then get panniers and bags designed for a bike.  Now, if you have to abandon your vehicle you can pack your bike with extra food, water and gear and just walk beside it.  That will be a lot less stressful on your body as well as allowing you to not only move a larger volume of gear easily, you can go "off road" if you need to.  Something your rolling suitcase would not survive for very long.

As far as a BOB you need a pack that you can actually carry.  Doesn't have to be huge or have a lot of stuff in it.  Clothing, water, food, shelter, fire.   It's only purpose is to get you to your BOL.  Not to allow you to survive in the wild for and extended period of time.  Quite frankly the majority of people would not last very long in the wild.  It is a skill set that most just do not possess.  Gear that you don't really know how to use is of no benefit to you.   

I know as you look at lists of stuff everyone post you feel that you have to pack all that gear yourself but you don't.  You need food, water and shelter to survive.  Make sure you have a good water filter and several containers.  Freeze dried food is light and doesn't take up much space, a light stove is all you need to prepare food. (I use one of these  http://www.bushbuddy.ca/indexs.html  a hand full of sticks will cook dinner) A titanium pot will cook your food and weighs a couple ounces. You don't need to build a big fire.  Light sleeping bag will get you through the night. A 2 person tent is all you need for shelter.

Everything else is gravy, nice to have but you can survive without it.  Keep your carry pack very light and if you need more pack it on your bike mule.

Above all make sure you know how to use everything.  Practice using your stuff in the back yard where failure is just inconvenient.  Be able to put up your tent in the dark, light your stove in the rain, be able to filter water without the directions.

One item that you did not mention and up to now neither did I.   How do you plan to protect yourself and you gear if SHTF and you are walking to Florida?  I don't know if you own any firearms but I highly recomend at least a handgun and training on it's proper use.  The fact of the matter is there are boogy men that haunt those woods.  Some people are just evil and others only have a civil face because others are watching and they fear the consequences, but would not hesitate to turn into Zombies if things went bad.  Don't get caught alone in the middle of nowhere without some way to defend yourself.  For that matter don't get caught at home with no way to defend yourself.

Offline monkeybird

• Survivor
« Reply #103 on: March 02, 2010, 03:40:18 PM »
Thank you, Who Me, for the information and advise.  I appreciate it.  I do have a handgun and do go practice with it. 

Offline goatboy66

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2010, 04:25:05 AM »
Hi, newbie here-

Looking for thread on bug-out vest.
Did a search; nada.
Searched BOV and got to the bug out vehicles.

Are there any threads on vests?

Thanks.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #105 on: March 05, 2010, 03:19:06 PM »
Go to cabela's or bass pro shops and look for hunting vests, then take a look at photographer's vests.

Those'll probbably be your vest bet.  :P

I have a canvas photog vest that I've been toying with - plenty of pouches and the like.

Also, you might look at plate carriers or chest rigs from places like sawtac. I've seen some really neat molle-compatible things while poking around at surplus places.

if you search youtube for nutnfancy, he's got some neat loadouts that he goes through in his videos for hiking and SHTF.

Offline goatboy66

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2010, 05:40:35 PM »
if you search youtube for nutnfancy, he's got some neat loadouts that he goes through in his videos for hiking and SHTF.

Hey- great lead; thanks.
Dave.

Offline RodPowley

• Prepper
« Reply #107 on: April 02, 2010, 04:44:54 PM »
I have a M12 100Ltr capacity tactical bag I use for a BOB. In it I keep:
a tent, mummy style sleeping bag and small air matress.
I have water bottles with 44 steel mug
telescopic baton
sling shot
sharpening stone
larger and small folding saws, one to keep in the bag and one in my pocket
Bivvy bag
foil survival blanket
small guide books for info and to kill bordom
walkies
Tuna
first aid kit
soap bag
sewing kit
crank powered radio/torch
hunting/gutting knife and woodcraft knife
magnesium block
flint striker
whistle
headlamp
binoculars
waterproofs (behind gas mask)
550 paracord
compass
leatherman
personal alarm
zippo
A mouse trap
fold away cutlery and a small cooking pot
In a small possibles pouch I have matches in a waterproof pot made out of an old shot gun cartridge, carabina clips, water purification tablets (also have them in the first aid kit and my water bottle pouch) and other odds and ends that might be usefull. Most of this fits in the outer pockets of the bag.
Also depending on the situation I have a S10 Gas mask and Omega 4997 multi-band radio.

Offline RodPowley

• Prepper
« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2010, 05:30:56 PM »

Offline ursus

• Prepper
« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2010, 11:38:16 PM »
Hey guys,

Here is the list for my "Bug Out Bag" which is a small EDC survival kit that I take with me in my vehicle and on my person every day.  I also take my Bug Out Bag camping or on road trips.  Small and light, not all-inclusive by any means.

I plan to add a handful of surgical suture kits to my Bug Out Bag.  (Any medical personal here that have suggestions for sutures and a place to buy them?)  And I'm shopping for a small camping/backpacking stove (suggestions?), as well as a good quality canteen and cup and/or backpacking pot and a light weight shelter option (suggestions?).  I'd also like a good book on edibles in my area (California) as well as some snare wire.  I'm considering throwing my Pocket Ref (by Thomas J. Glover) in the BOB as well.  I also carry a 4 gallon water canister in my car.

Here's the list of what I carry, so far.

-ursus-

BUG OUT BAG
My personal Bug Out Bag all fits in a small bag that has a shoulder strap and a hip belt (Maxpedition Sabercat).  The entire kit weighs about 9 pounds.

Survival/Tools:
1 Leatherman Wave multitool
1 LED flashlight with 3 AAA batteries (white and red light)
1 Bic lighter
1 compass
1 space pen
1 magnesium flint fire starter
1 P38 can opener
1 small canister of dryer lint (tinder)
1 box storm proof matches
1 Trees of North America guidebook
1 knife (5 in. fixed blade, Fallkniven NL4) with custom leather sheath and sharpening stone
1 Wool cap (100% wool)
50 ft. of 550 cord
1 Buff wrap (headwear)
1 3600 calorie food brick/bar
1 XL bandana
1 emergency poncho
1 survival blanket
1 pouch toilet paper
1 signaling mirror
1 small roll guerrilla tape/duct tape wrapped around a phone card
1 Small sewing kit with safety pins
1 Whistle
3 trioxane pouches (fire starter)
1 small metal camping coffee cup
1 pepper spray
1 small calculator
1 small travel towel

Medical:
1 pack Tissues
12” X 12” aluminum foil
3 Emergen-C pouches
2 packets instant coffee single serve
1 Cliff Bar
1 roll gauze tape
1 Purell hand sanitizer
1 temporary filling, tooth repair kit
1 2” wide roll of gauze
1 vicodin pain killers
1 vial of eye drops
1 jar of water purifying tablets
1 roll of Tums antacid
1 Chapstick with SPF 15
5 pouches of Advil (2 pills ea.)
2 single serving Neosporin packs
4 alcohol antiseptic wipes
4 regular size bandaids
1 medium-large bandaid
1 XL bandaid
1 2X2 sterile gauze dressing
1 4X4 sterile gauze dressing
6 chewable Pepto Bismol pills
4 Benadryl Antihistamine pills
4 Pepsid indigestion pills
2 Imodium pills
2 sinus/cold daytime pills
1 QuikClot Silver hemostatic agent
1 Watergel burn dressing
2 Watergel burn ointment pouches
1 Celox-A hemostatic with applicator for puncture wounds
5 packs of Stay Alert caffeine gum

ICBM

Vests
« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2010, 08:43:20 AM »
My wife and I both have vests as our last resort BOB's-- they cost about $30 and have 2.5 liter hydration pouches. There are a number of places you can purchase them--just type in tactical vest with hydration pouch. We have several layer to our plan--the first level being survive in place--but if we have to leave, we have several packs--each prioritized as to which to take leave as the situation demands. Since we're both in our late 50's--heavy "back" packing isn't in the cards any more :-) So if we had to leave our survival in place--all of our stuff would go in the car--if we had to ditch the car, I have two deer carts that we would carry our packs, sleeping gear, etc. if we had to ditch more, I have a plastic deer sled, and if we had to ditch even more--the vests as our last resorts.

My vest:
2.5 l. water bladder 
Hydration cleaning kit
Knife--USAF, survival
Knife--fillet
Knife sharpener
Saw--folding
Spear tip, three prong
Flashlight--crank
Fishing reel--automatic
Fishing kit--hooks, sinkers, etc.
Straw--emergency water filter
Compass
Bic lighters
Fire starters
.223--60 rounds
Magazine--AR15--30 rds
Insect repellent
Coffee filters
Tube triple antibiotic
Tape--waterproof
Gauze
Hand sanitizer
Aspirin
Toothpaste
Toothbrush
Razor
Floss
Paracord-- 50ft.
Survival Tabs--180 count
Gloves
Socks--1 pr.
T-shirt
Briefs--mens--1 pair
Blanket--emergency
Eating kit--knife, spoon, fork

In addition, I would wear a Web belt & thigh pouch--on the Web belt
Hatchet
Canteen
Water purification tabs
Poncho
In the thigh pouch
AR15 magazine 30 rds
.223 80 rds
AR15 cleaning kit
Field dressing kit
Fire starter
Powder drink mixes

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2010, 11:49:24 AM »
ICBM,

Depending upon your location, I might suggest you consider re-evaluating your use of a vest for a BOB. Vests are one of those things that sounds logical, but in practice turn out not to be as great as when you're brain-storming.

For example, vests are hot.  In hot weather, they add an additional layer of insulation over your entire torso.  In cold weather, you may find them difficult to put on over your cold weather gear. . .or  you may not be able to put your cold weather gear over your vests and close them.

A small backpack is a better choice.  You can easily find one that can hold the same amount of gear and can be put on over any clothes. 

Just some thoughts, hope they help.

The Professor

ICBM

« Reply #112 on: April 07, 2010, 02:21:44 PM »
Professor--thanks for your feedback. Thought about the issues you brought-up and did my Web surfing/field testing. I'm retired military and did some tramping around with packs, etc. in the good old days :-) The vests I'm using are mesh and I've practiced using them in the heat and cold. These are actually, for me at least, a little cooler than a pack--and definitely, because of the ability to distribute the weight better than the packs--more comfortable. In cold weather, because these expand quite a lot, fit well over our parkas. They also give me a little more freedom of movement in that I'm more balanced. And, things are easy to get to if you don't/can't take the time to go through the pack.

Again though--good thoughts--the reason why I went for the mesh, and a vest that had great expandability. 

Offline RXO

• Prepper
« Reply #113 on: April 07, 2010, 02:35:51 PM »
My BOB has evolved over the last couple of years. When I learn about new and better products or better ways to use old ones, the pack gets re-evaluated. The one thing I have learned personally is make your BOB look less tactical. I started with an OD pack with MOLLE straps and anytime someone saw it they asked too many questions. I don't mind educating people about being prepared, but in a SHTF scenario, I want to be invisible. Now I have a used blue backpack from Goodwill and no more questions.

Offline The Professor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #114 on: April 07, 2010, 05:54:23 PM »
Bailey:

You've got a good set up. .. I'm feeling cantankerous today so I'm going to nitpick a bit, so don't take it personally, just what *I'd* swap out.

The big flashlight (2-D Maglite).  This is very heavy for the service it provides you.  Depending upon what you want it for, I might suggest either doing away with it or getting one of the smaller lights, maybe a  second Mini-Mag if you don't want to go with one of the CR123-batteried LED's.  As Roswell pointed out, put it on the outside, that way you won't have to go searching for your light. . .in the dark.

The Cardboard Windscreen: Swap it out for one of the super-heavy aluminum-foil style.  This way, you won't have to worry about it getting wet or crushed.  They're also better if you have to jam them into the ground a bit to keep them up in wind.

You have three cutting implements, but I don't see a sharpening stone (perhaps on the pouch on the belt knife?).

Is that map waterproofed?  You don't have to spend $$ on StormSaf, you can use Thompson's WaterSeal if you have any or can borrow some.  I'd also suggest getting a smaller map in addition to the state map.  Perhaps a smaller topo map of your immediate area.

Speaking of maps, I see a GPS, but no compass.  Even a cheap one is beneficial.  Your GPS will eat batteries quickly, especially if the scenery around your home is damaged and you have to use it a lot.  A compass needs no additional power and unless you're worried about the poles shifting, you can use it under any circumstances.

Speaking of Batteries, either pack a lot more, or. . .my preference, upgrade as soon as you can to a minimum of 12 Lithium batteries.

Radios: You have an FRS and an amateur radio?  While I applaud redundancy, I'm going to suggest losing one or the other (preferably losing the FRS radio).  If your wife isn't a HAM, then bug her until she becomes one.  Were it me, I'd take that Yaesu and mod it to all freqs.  Keep it set on low power and you have just lost not only quite a few ounces, but another battery-drainer.  Now, you can use it as a scanner and as a communications device.  I'd also suggest getting the vehicle and AC adapter and keeping the original battery as long as you can.  This way, you can plug in anywhere.  Consider also joining your local HAM group.  Chances are, they'll be out in a disaster and either helping or just surviving, as well.  They might be able to help out with more info.

Hygiene Kit:  Put together a small one.  A bar of un-scented soap, a washrag, comb and a small towel.  Put it in a ziploc bag.

Ziploc Bags: MORE.  Especially for that roll of toilet paper.  Double-bag that bad boy.

Food: Get a 1-qt Nalgene bottle and fill it with Instant Rice, you've more than tripled your food supply.  Also, I'd add in a couple Millenium bars or something that's already made.  Yes, you can eat the Mountain House foods dry, but that's no fun.  And if you're truly in a situation where you need to move quickly and can't take time to set up a cooking spot, you can grab one of your bars and eat on the run, so to speak.

A personal preference would be to swap that poly cord out for some 550.  You can pack more 550 in the same space and it's easier to keep from unravelling if you can't melt the ends

Other than that, overall, it's a pretty good set up!  Just some thoughts, hope they help.

The Professor

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2010, 01:20:17 PM »
Nice idea with the thompson's waterseal.

I've used scotchguard in the past to great effect, though it takes several spray-and-let-dry cycles.

as far as a windscreen, you might want to look at your local home depot or lowes for some aluminum flashing coils. they sell them as short as 25 feet, and you'll always find a use for the extra material.  I made a hard drive enclosure for a friend one time with a few feet of it - Just had to bend a bunch of reinforcement channels in it for rigidity. Worked great, and went together really fast with a 1/8" drill bit and some pop rivets.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #116 on: April 08, 2010, 03:42:50 PM »
Bailey:

You've got a good set up. .. I'm feeling cantankerous today so I'm going to nitpick a bit, so don't take it personally, just what *I'd* swap out.

The big flashlight (2-D Maglite).  This is very heavy for the service it provides you.  Depending upon what you want it for, I might suggest either doing away with it or getting one of the smaller lights, maybe a  second Mini-Mag if you don't want to go with one of the CR123-batteried LED's.  As Roswell pointed out, put it on the outside, that way you won't have to go searching for your light. . .in the dark.

The Cardboard Windscreen: Swap it out for one of the super-heavy aluminum-foil style.  This way, you won't have to worry about it getting wet or crushed.  They're also better if you have to jam them into the ground a bit to keep them up in wind.

You have three cutting implements, but I don't see a sharpening stone (perhaps on the pouch on the belt knife?).

Is that map waterproofed?  You don't have to spend $$ on StormSaf, you can use Thompson's WaterSeal if you have any or can borrow some.  I'd also suggest getting a smaller map in addition to the state map.  Perhaps a smaller topo map of your immediate area.

Speaking of maps, I see a GPS, but no compass.  Even a cheap one is beneficial.  Your GPS will eat batteries quickly, especially if the scenery around your home is damaged and you have to use it a lot.  A compass needs no additional power and unless you're worried about the poles shifting, you can use it under any circumstances.

Speaking of Batteries, either pack a lot more, or. . .my preference, upgrade as soon as you can to a minimum of 12 Lithium batteries.

Radios: You have an FRS and an amateur radio?  While I applaud redundancy, I'm going to suggest losing one or the other (preferably losing the FRS radio).  If your wife isn't a HAM, then bug her until she becomes one.  Were it me, I'd take that Yaesu and mod it to all freqs.  Keep it set on low power and you have just lost not only quite a few ounces, but another battery-drainer.  Now, you can use it as a scanner and as a communications device.  I'd also suggest getting the vehicle and AC adapter and keeping the original battery as long as you can.  This way, you can plug in anywhere.  Consider also joining your local HAM group.  Chances are, they'll be out in a disaster and either helping or just surviving, as well.  They might be able to help out with more info.

Hygiene Kit:  Put together a small one.  A bar of un-scented soap, a washrag, comb and a small towel.  Put it in a ziploc bag.

Ziploc Bags: MORE.  Especially for that roll of toilet paper.  Double-bag that bad boy.

Food: Get a 1-qt Nalgene bottle and fill it with Instant Rice, you've more than tripled your food supply.  Also, I'd add in a couple Millenium bars or something that's already made.  Yes, you can eat the Mountain House foods dry, but that's no fun.  And if you're truly in a situation where you need to move quickly and can't take time to set up a cooking spot, you can grab one of your bars and eat on the run, so to speak.

A personal preference would be to swap that poly cord out for some 550.  You can pack more 550 in the same space and it's easier to keep from unravelling if you can't melt the ends

Other than that, overall, it's a pretty good set up!  Just some thoughts, hope they help.

The Professor
   Great ideas Thanks... Love all your ideas. I do have 550 cord and will swap it for her. She is a ham so good to go on the Yaseu. I figured we could use the FRS to eavesdrop on others since they are popular( what do you think? Bad/good). I figured the D maglite also can be used as protection, nice to have some "weight" in your hands if suprised by someone. Not sure why I didn't add a compass to her BOB as I do have extras...Will add for sure.
   Kinda figured the cardboard screen could do double duty as firestarter material since it is that waxy cardboard from a lettuce box. Plus if it got lost or ruined no real big deal since it was free. TP is in ziploc bags just took it out for picture, Great idea on Hygiene kit will add for sure. Also rice and Millenium bars more great ideas... Thanks and will add
   I do have a 3 cell C maglight that is perfect, not to heavy but enough light and great for defense. Could swap it for the D maglight. What are your thoughts on it?
Thanks Professor for the great ideas keep 'em coming.

Offline The Professor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #117 on: April 08, 2010, 05:41:51 PM »
Bailey,

I can't find your post, it didn't come up in my list, for some reason.  So, I can't remember what model Yaesu you had.

My inclination due to the nature of most emergencies, is to not worry about FRS.  Most of them will be families and businesses trying to get their people safe or such.  You're better off with a small AA-powered am/fm radio so you can listen to the news.  I want to say you had one of the 100-series radios.  If you can mod it out, you may be able to listen to the AM band radio broadcasts.  But I doubt that you'd get much usable info from FRS.  Again, it's just my opinion.  That's also why  I suggested hooking up, now, with your local amateur network. They'll be called out if the emergency is bad to provide comm support. You may be able to get more info from them.

Just a thought.

Also, if she's going to use the D-Cell Maglite as a weapon, just make sure she knows HOW.

Now, I gotta figure out what happened to your post.

The Professor.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #118 on: April 08, 2010, 07:21:25 PM »
   It's on page 1 reply 26 I switched my screen name to Beetle...lol I'm in pretty tight with the ham community in the Pacific Northwest, I use ARES and RACES on a lot of SAR missions. Since we live up in the mountains I volunteered my property for a repeater, I agree with you they are a great resource and a good group of people.
  Lol My wife is a log truck driver and that entails throwing wrappers over the load. A wrapper is a 20' steel cable with chains attached to the ends, so I don't think I would mess with her. She is a real farm girl and I am amazed at how awesome she is at surviving. Although she is reminding me that she is not some big buff tobacco chewer...But she is tough.
    I was thinking...What if you ended up hooking up with others in a SHTF scenario and since the popularity of FRS you would have comm.'s with them? Can you mod a dual band ham radio to work in the FRS band? I know it's somewhere in the 450mhz.
  Right now I have Yaseu vx 170's, Bendix king Ht's and some stuff that will work on the LEO channels. Big plus one on the AM radio by the way...

Offline ursus

• Prepper
Bug Out Bag Videos.
« Reply #119 on: April 09, 2010, 03:52:48 PM »
Hey all,

I just wanted to share this great YouTube channel from a user that calls himself AnalyticalSurvival.  He covers survival gear, B.O.B., web gear, medical supplies, organization, food, some weaponry, and survival concepts.  Some of the best that I've seen on the web, this guy should have his own tv show.  Great quality video's and great info.  I got a lot out of these videos.

AnalyticalSurvival YouTube Link:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnalyticalSurvival#p/u/3/TREim9mHs7k

Enjoy,

-ursus-