Author Topic: What do you keep in your BOB (Bug Out Bag) & Why?  (Read 342450 times)

Offline pchambers

• Prepper
Re: Bug Out Bag Videos.
« Reply #120 on: April 12, 2010, 10:43:23 AM »

AnalyticalSurvival YouTube Link:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnalyticalSurvival#p/u/3/TREim9mHs7k

Enjoy,

-ursus-

Enjoyed these youtube "videos".  The caching is new to me. thx for posting. +1

Offline TrashCanMan

• International Connection
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
Re: What do you keep in your BOB (Bug Out Bag) & Why?
« Reply #121 on: April 12, 2010, 03:36:26 PM »
I've just added a tyvek boiler suit to my bug out bag.  It folds up really small so hardly takes up any room.

The reason?  I got a blow out on a tyre today and although I had nitrile gloves to stop my hands getting dirty when changing it, I got tyre rubber on my work trousers (pants) and shirt.  Not a good look!

Offline RodPowley

• Prepper
« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2010, 12:01:08 PM »
I have a video on youtube explaining most of the contents of my BOB though I have made a few improvements since making the video.

Bug Out Bag Survival kit

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #123 on: April 15, 2010, 12:22:21 PM »
Got a new inverter for @ home. Tossed my 400 watt unit in the BOB.

Offline Oregun89

• Prepper
« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2010, 07:52:13 PM »
      This is my BOB, but more than that, I use this pack for day hikes and while hunting. I carry this pack with me often, especially times where I leave town all together. It is setup to compliment the equipment in my Jeep. I have worn this pack for hours on end, through steep and rough terrain. All together (including a bladder full of water) this pack weighs about 11lbs.

Over the past couple years I have made alterations to what I keep inside based on my findings with field testing (I only expect to continue adding/subtracting/replacing gear over time). I have put on about 200 miles with this pack since buying it 2 years ago. I would highly recommend to anyone who thinks that their bag holds all that they need to actually use it. Take the bag with you on a moderate trail, put some miles on, see if you're not dying from the weight, or just the noise it makes as all your ridiculous gear you have suspended around it is clashing together with one another. Decide if you really need 120rds. of .223 ammunition, the bulky stove with no actual food to cook with, or all of 6 knives.

I have found that the most necessary equipment starts at the feet, your shoes and socks. The footwear should be broken in, and the socks should be reliable, with a replacement pair (the whole point of the bag is to walk with, correct?). Food and water are the next things you'll find you need the most, and though we can do without food for some time, we cannot do without water. You need to carry some, (but not too much as it does get very heavy very fast) but more importantly have the means to gather more. Next there is no replacement for being dry, and consequently warm, or safe from the sun in the warmer months. The clothing you wear needs to be sturdy, and appropriate for weather conditions. After that you need appropriate tools, first aid equipment, and a firearm.

And now with that rant/lecture out of the way, here's my list, though not perfect its pretty close to my needs. Some equipment is rotated/added/subtracted based on the season.

Bag

• Camelbak Raider 70oz Hydration pack w/Hydrolink conversion kit and cleaning kit
  • Merrell Mid-high boots (waterproof, w/ a Vibram sole)
    Spare wool socks
    Spare shoe laces
  • 1 U-dig it shovel
  • 1US Army Survival knife
    1 Smith Coarse/Fine Knife Sharpener
  • 1Energizer LED headlamp (takes 3 AAA)
    6 replacement AAA batteries
  • 1 compass
  • Waterproof matches in waterproof case
    1 Magnesium stick
  • 1 rain poncho
  • 1 collapsible dog bowl
  • 1 roll flourescent orange marking tape
  • 12 antibacterial hand wipes
  • 1 empty quart size ziploc bag
  • 1 sunglasses lanyard
    1 soft sunglasses case/bag/cloth
  • 4 Nature Valley Oat & Honey Bars (720 calories)
    3 pepperoni sticks (660 calories)
  • 2 glove hand warmers (10hrs)
    2 foot warmers (6hrs)
  • 1 light stick (6hrs)
  • 1 emergency "space" blanket
  • 1 SAM splint 36"
  • 2 S-Biner 25lb clips
  • 50ft of Para-Cord
  • 1 OFF Deep wood towelettes
  • about 1 roll of t.p. (unrolled) w/ 6 paper towels

First Aid Kit

In addition:
  • 12 asst. safety pins
  • 12 Asst Zip ties 12" & 5"
  • 1 bottle of Liquid Bandage
  • 1 tube of chap stick
  • 1 nail clippers
  • 1 snake bite kit
  • 12' of duct tape
  • 20 chlorine water purification tablets
  • additional mole skin
  • 12 asst. rubber bands

Everyday Items

• 1 Walther P99 in .40 S&W (w/ 1 mag of 180gr JHP)
  • 1 LED Leatherman Monarch 500 (very water resistant, uses 3 AAA)
  • 1 Nylon Uncle Mikes holster (holds flashlight as well as P99)
  • 1 Gerber Multi-tool
  • 1 iPhone w/ headphones
  • 1 money clip (ID, Debitcard, Cash, Pic of girlfriend)
  • 1 Casio G-Shock Waterproof/Solar Watch
  • 1 dog leash
  • 1 Pair of Oakley GASCAN's
  • keys
Pics:

Additional Notes:
This pack is designed to fit my needs, it is NOT built to go to battle, it is NOT built to take me to Mexico. It is built to be used in the MOST likely of scenarios.

It is designed to take me as far as I can get on foot in about 36-48hrs, or to a point of shelter and resupply. It is designed to compliment all of the gear I currently keep in my Jeep. It is also built with the intention of being properly dressed for the current/upcoming weather conditions of it's intended use.

I keep the bag clean, and in working order, along with all of its contents. I use a silicone water guard spray on the bag, as well as the first aid kit. I keep my knives sharp and my gun oiled. Maintenance is key, keeping up on all of your perishable contents is also essential. I keep tabs on them by recording them in my iCal which is synced with my macbook and my iphone, when things expire, I always know.

This bag is light, fast, and quiet. It does it's job, and it does it well. Hopefully someone will find this inspiring in some way. Use it to learn from, as I have used others ideas to learn for myself. I welcome criticism, but don't be surprised if I shoot it down.

Currently, I plan to add a small detachable hygiene kit to the webbing stitched on the underside of the pack. It will include tiny toothpaste, flossers, a collapsible toothbrush, and the anti-bacterial wipes which are currently in the bag. Also, (non-hygiene but in the same little bag nonetheless) gun oil and cleaning patches.[/list][/list]
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 07:55:26 PM by Oregun89 »

Offline Ironhead

• Prepper
    • TSP Chat
« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2010, 10:18:07 PM »
^^^^^^ Wow. you rule. great post and awesome BOB. very inspiring. welcome to the forum.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #126 on: April 30, 2010, 08:18:41 PM »
Ya, great post.  We hope you find a home here at TSP.

Offline Smith

• Senior Survivalist
  • another number
« Reply #127 on: April 30, 2010, 09:24:53 PM »
Next there is no replacement for being dry, and consequently warm, or safe from the sun in the warmer months.

I agree with 99.9% of what you have going on, but what about shelter? I imagine that you have some equip that works in the Jeep, but what happens if you have to hoof it for that 36-48 hours and post up overnight in the rain? Throw a heavy duty trashbag in that bad boy.

Offline Oregun89

• Prepper
« Reply #128 on: April 30, 2010, 09:39:31 PM »
I agree with 99.9% of what you have going on, but what about shelter? I imagine that you have some equip that works in the Jeep, but what happens if you have to hoof it for that 36-48 hours and post up overnight in the rain? Throw a heavy duty trashbag in that bad boy.

On top of being appropriately dressed, there's a space blanket and a poncho in my pack.

Poncho > Hefty Bag  ;D

Offline Smith

• Senior Survivalist
  • another number
« Reply #129 on: May 01, 2010, 07:47:56 AM »
On top of being appropriately dressed, there's a space blanket and a poncho in my pack.

Poncho > Hefty Bag  ;D

Fair enough. You gonna stuff that poncho with leaves and sleep on it to insulate you from the ground? Or take it off to catch the rainwater? Bring both. Hefty bag weighs nothing, and remember 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #130 on: May 01, 2010, 09:10:18 AM »
I have 4 of the SUPER heavy duty Contractor style 55 gallon bags in each of our bags.  They weigh mere ounces and take up about as much space as a fist. (Or as in my day pack they are spread out in the map pocket and really don't take up any space at all).  Very versatile.  (I do have a good rain suit and 3 of the cheap $1 poncho's from wal-mart in each bag as well (Mostly to give to others who didn't come as prepared ;D)  I hadn't considered stuffing one with leaves to keep off the ground.  Thanks for that.

I also use my bag as an every day bag and use it constantly, I don't follow the "Bug out Bag" philosophy so much as the having what you need when you need it philosophy.  Great job on the pack.

Offline Oregun89

• Prepper
« Reply #131 on: May 01, 2010, 10:50:29 AM »
Fair enough. You gonna stuff that poncho with leaves and sleep on it to insulate you from the ground? Or take it off to catch the rainwater? Bring both. Hefty bag weighs nothing, and remember 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

I have 4 of the SUPER heavy duty Contractor style 55 gallon bags in each of our bags.  They weigh mere ounces and take up about as much space as a fist. (Or as in my day pack they are spread out in the map pocket and really don't take up any space at all).  Very versatile.  (I do have a good rain suit and 3 of the cheap $1 poncho's from wal-mart in each bag as well (Mostly to give to others who didn't come as prepared ;D)  I hadn't considered stuffing one with leaves to keep off the ground.  Thanks for that.

I also use my bag as an every day bag and use it constantly, I don't follow the "Bug out Bag" philosophy so much as the having what you need when you need it philosophy.  Great job on the pack.

No... I was thinking more along the lines of curling up into the fetal position, layering the space blanket beneath the poncho. But, I'm sure a Hefty Bag could come in handy, I'll throw one in.

Come to think of it, I meant to throw one in last Fall but never got around to it. I was out for a casual hunt with a friend, I shot a coyote with a beautiful coat, so we decided to bring him back to the cabin to skin him. Fortunately my friend had a Hefty bag to haul him. Thanks for the reminder guys, and yes they are very versatile.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 10:57:38 AM by Oregun89 »

Offline RightArmOfWyoming

• Survivor
    • Libertarian Punk blog
« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2010, 09:37:31 PM »
Bugs (back-up guns)  ;D

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #133 on: May 09, 2010, 12:07:28 AM »
Or even BUCKS. Back Up Carry Kitty

Offline RightArmOfWyoming

• Survivor
    • Libertarian Punk blog
« Reply #134 on: May 09, 2010, 11:55:59 AM »
Or even BUCKS. Back Up Carry Kitty

LOL!

Basically, I ain't buggin' out. That's probably antithetical to much of this site, but I'm stockin' up my house, and we'll sit on the roof with rifles and pick off zombies if need be.

MWD

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #135 on: May 13, 2010, 01:45:34 PM »

Offline Smith

• Senior Survivalist
  • another number
« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2010, 07:21:35 PM »
My bob rant

bob1_0001.wmv

bob2_0001.wmv

Thanks Randy!

I would add,

Ditch the titanium spork. Plastic forks/spoons etc are free from food joints, throwaway, lightweight, and even float in water (God forbid  :))

Heineken keg cans are often used as a poor mans cook pot

A $4-8 tarp can be used for more things than a tent

the hardware store has torch sparkers for $2 and they are idiotproof

coffee filters will filter gunk out of water then add iodine tabs, or tincture of iodine

trash bags, trash bags, trash bags,

etc...

These aren't ideal, but better than bitching about cost and having nothing.
Thinking outside the expensive box.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #137 on: May 14, 2010, 04:01:34 PM »
Yolp!..  Don't forget that the Hobo's make stoves from cans,..  You can make a pot, cup, etc from soup cans..  I have a alcohol stove that is a pop can, and will soon make one from a (metal) beer bottle.

Don't forget Yard Sales too,,.. Craigslist and Freecycle.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #138 on: May 14, 2010, 05:21:34 PM »
Awesome video Randy. Thanks for posting.  I think often times people can get paralyzed into in activity because they think they have to spend all this money. They don't have money for those crazy expensive items they want so, they buy nothing and end up unprepared.

Smith, good idea about the hienken keg turned hobo crock pot. I am going to have to try that. I like those little kegs. I would caution you on the iodine. Many people are allergic to it and believe it or not bleach may actually be a better alternative.

Archer, has a cool chart in his signature.

good call idelphic, love me some Freecycle and craigslist (check the free section). also, army surplus stores and gun shows for cheap military surplus gear. I love that stuff, but I like it inside my backpack rather than the big army pack that says, "I'm a prepper" unless I am hunting or something.

I'd also add those little keychain led lights are great for cheap and burn forever. And DON'T forget a med kit. You can save by picecing one together yourself. Make sure to put it in a waterproof container too. If nothing else double bag it with ziplocks.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #139 on: May 15, 2010, 10:46:40 AM »
Put together a little over 3 days of food into a stainless steel three-bowl stacking lunch box. One buddy called it a turkish lunch box, another called it an indian lunch box. Either way, I have sweetener and various condiments, no msg boullion, tea, two packs of ramen, powdered milk, rice, and lentils, and three packs of carnation instant breakfast all tucked away in the back of my truck. I also tossed in something a buddy of mine went nuts over - a welding rod carrier! I threw three cans of sterno in it with a magnesium fire starter and a lighter for now, but it's got enough head space (and a belt clip) to handle a few other odds and ends. Gives me another layer of protection in case something tries to puncture one of the sterno cans, and the belt clip and lanyard loops are pretty handy, just need to thread some paracord through them.

I also got together with a couple of guys and built my first rain barrel last night. Fought off an instant hangover from half of what I presume was a bad beer, and managed not to cut a 2" hole in my hand with my buddy's cordless drill. Twice. Barrels turned out pretty sweet, and I'm going to actually put them in place sometime over the next week so I can start work on my rainwater flush system.

One last prep is really a finish - I took my Exit Exam of Writing today, and I'm pretty sure I aced the hell out of it. Just two more classes and I can walk away with a really expensive piece of paper under my arm, but no college debt!

That was a hell of a lot of work now that I write it all down, but I felt like I didn't get anything done at all over the past two days. Jeez, I'm hard on myself!

Offline Roknrandy

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2010, 05:58:26 PM »
ok, 5th post attempt  >:(

Heres a little something I ran across in target a couple of weeks ago. I'm using it to important info in our home and car bags. It has 10 plastic sleeves (business card size) with card stock in each so you can write info on the cards and keep it protected. It was six dollars.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2010, 09:33:31 PM »
You might think about spraying those cards with a few coats of scotchguard or something like that map waterproofer stuff - I've had the open edged card protectors wick moisture in, and if you have to remove the card to read it (if you put two cards back to back, or have a folded piece of paper with four panels of info for example) then you might wind up tearing it up a bit if it gets wet. My buddy made hydrophobic sand using scotchguard once, it's pretty handy stuff.

*reminder to stock up on a few more cans of scotch guard!*

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #142 on: May 18, 2010, 08:27:05 AM »
I have also heard you can use Thompsons water seal if you have some of that laying around. I love the idea of your own little survival flip book. I like that is small enough for EDC.  Much lighter and easier to carry than a big trapper keeper.

Offline Roknrandy

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #143 on: May 19, 2010, 02:21:06 PM »
My bob video because I'm too tired to list everything  :P

Bug Out Bag

Offline Smith

• Senior Survivalist
  • another number
« Reply #144 on: May 29, 2010, 09:05:59 AM »
OK, Randy et. all.... I took this cheap idea and ran with it. Took me a week to put together the,

The Poor Man's Bug Out Bag

This kit was put together for an urban/sub-urban environment, with the intention of building the cheapest possible functional BOB. Ideally this kit would get someone safely out of dodge and to their local FEMA shelter for emergency assistance and forced vaccination. =)
The whole thing comes in at  around 12lbs. If I we're to grab it and run I would probably add a hammer from my tools. Please note: this kit could be made a lot better with a little $$$, but that defeats the purpose...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Bag (shown is a used messenger bag); Cost = $0, from home

Contents

1 Hand Towel; Cost = $2.50, from discount retail store
4 1Q Ziplock Freezer Bags; Allocated Cost = $0.66, from grocery store
1 bigger (?) Ziplock Bag; Cost = $0, from home
1 Bar of Soap; Cost = $1.99, from Walgreens
1 Toothbrush (most of handle hacked off for size/weight); Cost = $1.25, from Walgreens
1 Travel Toothpaste; Cost = $1.25, from Walgreens
1 Roll of TP (flattened & put in Ziplock); Allocated Cost = $0.41, from grocery store
Other incidental Hygiene products; Cost = $0, from home
2 Lighters with TSP ant logo; Cost = $0, from TSP Region 4 M&G
1 Book of Matches; Cost = $0, from local restaurant

1 First Aid Kit (basic small cheap white plastic kit, stuck in Ziplock); Cost = $1.99, from Walgreens
has lots of extra space in it for many additions raided from home, such as,
extra bandages all sizes
extra medicine
needle/thread/safety pins
razor blade
medical tape
cotton swabs, etc

1 American Flag Bandana; Cost = $2.00, from Army/Navy Surplus
1 Stainless Steel Kitchen Knife (lanyard hole drilled in handle); Allocated Cost = $0.89, from Walgreens
1 1L Stainless Steel Water Bottle; Cost = $4.00, from Walgreens
1 50' "Fox Outdoor" 350 cord; Cost = $3.50, from Army/Navy Surplus
2 Contractor Size Trash Bags; Allocated Cost = $0.66, from grocery store
1 Blue Poly-Tarp 6x8; Cost = $4.00, from hardware store
1 Plastic Poncho; Cost = $1.99, from Walgreens
1 LED Flashlight (keyring "impulse buy" kind); Cost = $1.99, from hardware store
1 Red Plastic Whistle; Cost = $0, from home/work
1 bunch of Duct Tape; Cost = $2, from hardware store

1 Heineken Keg Can Cookset (instructions found on youtube from "Tinny" at minibulldesign, can be substituted with small pot from thrift store); includes,
1 24 oz Heineken Keg Can; Cost = $0, leftover
1 4 cp plastic Ziplock container; Allocated Cost = $2.00, from grocery store
1 1 cp plastic Ziplock container; Allocated Cost = $0.66, from grocery store
2 tealight candles; Cost = $0, from home
1 wire pot stand; Cost = $0, from home
Plastic Fork & Spoon; Cost = $0, from fast food place (Chipolte has some nice heavy duty ones)
2 2oz Plastic Containers of 90% Rubbing Alcohol; Allocated Cost = $2.00, from home
salt packets & assorted condiments; Cost = $0, from fast food place

Coffee Filters; Cost = $0, from home
Potable Aqua H2O Tablets; Cost  $5.75, from sporting goods store
Plastic Funnel; Cost = $1, from hardware store

1 Pen, 2 Pencils, 1 Red Sharpie; Cost = $0, from home/work
1 Notebook; Cost = $0, from home/work
1 Map of Metro Area; Cost = $0, from local transit authority
1 Deck Playing Cards; Cost = $0, from home
1 Paperback Book; Cost = $0, from home
1 Copy of the US Constitution; Cost = $0, from minuteconstitution.com

1 Pair of Socks; Cost = $0, from home
1 Pair of Underwear; Cost = $0, from home

3 Packages Beef Ramen; Cost = $0.75, from grocery store
3 Snickers Bars; Cost = $2.67, from grocery store
3 Granola Bars; Allocated Cost = $1.50, from grocery store
1 Cliff Bar; Cost = $1, from grocery
2 Packages Instant Oatmeal; Allocated Cost = $0.50, from grocery
1 Package Beef Jerky; Cost = $4.99, from 7-11
2 1/2 liter bottles of water; Allocated Cost =  $0.50, from grocery
Handful of Jolly Ranchers; Allocated Cost = $0.30, from grocery

Total Cost = $54.65

Offline cartpusher

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Survival Gear Bags
« Reply #145 on: May 29, 2010, 02:50:35 PM »

The Poor Man's Bug Out Bag

Smith - this is an awesome $54 kit

2 Lighters with TSP ant logo; Cost = $0, from TSP Region 4 M&G

You guys are handing our premiums at your Meet and Greet's???  Now that is great. 

Offline Roknrandy

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #146 on: May 29, 2010, 03:28:31 PM »
Now thats what I'm talking about!! Great job Smith. I like that kit, it's simple and covers the basic needs. It's not very big or heavy. At least you have one now so down the road you can start replacing items (if you so choose) with something better  ;D

the little first aid kit you have(the white box) I grab bunches of those when they go on sale for .99 and double them up and use the empty containers for other things
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 03:36:34 PM by Roknrandy »

Offline Smith

• Senior Survivalist
  • another number
« Reply #147 on: May 29, 2010, 09:59:07 PM »
Now thats what I'm talking about!! Great job Smith. I like that kit, it's simple and covers the basic needs. It's not very big or heavy. At least you have one now so down the road you can start replacing items (if you so choose) with something better  ;D

the little first aid kit you have(the white box) I grab bunches of those when they go on sale for .99 and double them up and use the empty containers for other things

Thanks Randy! I've got better bags for me and the loved ones, just figured I'd put this one together as a project, and maybe give/get some ideas on how to simplify things.

The hope was to bring it in so cheap that no one could say "I can't afford a bug out bag".

Offline KatieH

• Prepper
« Reply #148 on: June 03, 2010, 05:09:37 AM »
I am student studying and living in Palmerston North (i'm actually studying Defence and Geography so I can get involved in civil defence), money is pretty tight but I'm doing the best I can with what I have. If something were to happen, I'm planning on staying put but If I was to evacuate this is what I've got.

Currently in my car (Get home bag/emergency vehicle kit as I do a lot of travelling)
Hiking Boots
Woollen Socks x 2
Cargo Pants
Polar Fleece Jumper
Wick T-Shirt
Rain Jacket
Beanie, Sunhat, Gloves and Scarf
Thermal Underwear
Radio
Spare Radio Batteries
Torch
Spare Torch Batteries
Car Cellphone Charger
Spare Cellphone Battery
Tube Tent
Rope
Sleeping Bag
Lighter
Waterproof Matches
Water Purifying Pills
Emergency Stove w/Fuel
Foldable Shovel
Brush (for snow)
Whistle
Spare Petrol
First Aid Kit
Water (10L)
Soup
Tuna
Hot Chocolate + powdered Milk
Heat Packs
List of Important numbers
Emergency Blankets
Chapstick
Tea light candles
Folding knife
Leather gloves
Dust mask
Bungee Cords
Salt
Maps  (all around the North Island)
Compass
Cards
Backpack (to put it all in)
Prescription Glasses
Baby Wipes
Deodorant
Coins
Cash
Tampons
Toilet Paper
Spare keys
First aid Manual
Bright cloth (if stranded in snow storm)
Rubbish bags
Water bladder

Plus a supplement bag for evacuation:
Any extra water
Emergency Rations
Back country meals x 6
Heavy duty tarpaulin
Camp cutlery
Rain pants
Bug Repellent
Sunscreen
Underwear x 3
Soap
Caffeine Pills
Camping Stove
Stove Fuel
Camping Pot
Any canned food etc I can grab

Any critiques or suggestions? If I had to evacuate and depending on the size of the problem I would either go 3 hours away to my best friends farm or head all the way home to Auckland which is 7 hours away.

Offline Smith

• Senior Survivalist
  • another number
« Reply #149 on: June 03, 2010, 09:26:58 AM »
Any critiques or suggestions? If I had to evacuate and depending on the size of the problem I would either go 3 hours away to my best friends farm or head all the way home to Auckland which is 7 hours away.

I would say add some Emergency Flares to your car kit. I would also substitute some of the canned food for powerbars or granola bars. Something that doesn't require cooking. Of course, that might be what you mean by "Emergency Rations". Canned goods are really really geat, easy to heat up, keep for along time, etc... but they are heavy.

Also, some way to filter water & a multitool may be good additions.

Sounds like a pretty comprehensive list of supplies, I would also "stage" them so that if your car breaks down and you have to hump it, you can grab the "walking bag" and leave some of the heavy stuff behind. It would sure beat having to make decisions about what to keep and what to leave when you may not be thinking clearly and theres a blizzard outside.