Author Topic: What do you keep in your BOB (Bug Out Bag) & Why?  (Read 362336 times)

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
Re: What do you keep in your BOB (Bug Out Bag) & Why?
« Reply #210 on: December 25, 2010, 01:33:04 PM »
One thing I do not see in the lists on this thread are ways to stay clean while "on the road". The purpose of a B.O.B. is to keep you safe, and comfortable for 3-6 days while you transit from an unsafe condition to one of safety.  About day 3 you are going to be wanting a way to freshen up in a bad way and so will your family members.

Well, not all of us are ignoring hygiene, though you may have to go back to the first few pages to see what some of the more comprehensive kits include.

My Personal Hygiene kit includes the following:

Hygiene :
1 - Medium Microfiber Towel
1 - Washcloth
2 - Bars, Unscented soap (Do NOT use scented)
1 - Bar, shaving soap
1 - Razor with additional heads
1 - "Unbreakable" mirror
1 - Toothbrush
1 - Tube, Toothpaste
1 - Microfiber towel (buy a Sham-Wow and make Finch happy)
1 - Roll, Floss
1 - Pr. Tweezers

Though, I do take a different perspective on the kit than most.  While the product you highlight is handy, the problem with it is that it's a one-shot deal.  Additionally, I have the requirement of my full BOB/PERK that it provide for me as long as possible.  I will not risk my life, or those of my family members, that the 3-6 day window will satisfactorily be met.  With some of the luck I've had, the disaster that forced me to move might also eventually threaten the destination.

Likewise, if the situation is truly dire, I may not have proper intel on the destination.  Therefore, I choose all my items to be durable as well as lightweight.  All the items I listed above fit in a small, waterproof zippered bag that's approximately 9" x 6".  The soaps and toothpaste will last a lot longer than a week and I only need about a quart of water to take a passable "bath."

The Professor

Offline mvrck

• Prepper
    • http://www.mavericksolar.net
« Reply #211 on: December 25, 2010, 04:30:03 PM »
I started collecting all the items on my BOB list:

I broke it down as Energy, Food, Safety, Shelter, Water. After reading a couple of different books and all these BOB lists, there are a lot of things one could carry. So far, this bag weighs 30 pounds. I have been taking it with me as I work off-grid, making changes to what I carry and how it is packed.

I am also making light versions for everyone else in the family...

Category   Item   BOB.dad
Energy   Batteries AA 8ea   x
Energy   Batteries AAA 6ea   x
Energy   Candles 3ea   x
Energy   Flash Light 3ea   x
Energy   Fuel, Esbit 9ea   x
Energy   Lighter 2 ea   
Energy   Matches   x
Energy   Stove, Esbit   x
Food   Cup / Mug   x
Food   Energy/Snack Bars 6ea   x
Food   Fish Line Set   x
Food   Fork   x
Food   Meal, Freeze Dried, 3b, 3l, 3d   x
Food   Pot   x
Food   Snare   
Food   Spoon   x
Food   Traps   
Safety   Clothes - Hat   x
Safety   Clothes - Set   x
Safety   First Aid Kit   x
Safety   Hygiene - Bug Spray   x
Safety   Hygiene - Deodorant   x
Safety   Hygiene - Floss   x
Safety   Hygiene - Hand Towel   x
Safety   Hygiene - Razor   x
Safety   Hygiene - Soap   x
Safety   Hygiene - Sewing Kit   x
Safety   Hygiene - Tooth Brush   x
Safety   Hygiene - Tooth Paste   x
Safety   Hygiene - TP   x
Safety   Personal Protection Device Set   x
Safety   Tools - Axe   x
Safety   Tools - Binoculars   x
Safety   Tools - Compass   x
Safety   Tools - Knife   x
Safety   Tools - Saw   
Safety   Tools - Pen & Paper   x
Safety   Tools - Shovel   
Safety   Tools - Signals   
Safety   Tools - Multi-Tool   
Safety   Tools - Vest   x
Shelter   Blanket   x
Shelter   Blanket, Emergency   x
Shelter   Cordage   
Shelter   Pillow   x
Shelter   Sleeping Bag   
Shelter   Tarp   
Shelter   Tent   x
Water   Bottles, 0.5 liter, 4 ea   x
Water   Filter   
Water   Gallons   
Water   Purification Tablets   x

Offline ore2u

• Prepper
« Reply #212 on: January 16, 2011, 08:27:46 PM »
Professor, try getting a bottle of what I call hippy soap... Dr. Bronners The stuff comes in large and a small travel sized bottle. You can wash your hair, your body, and you can brush your teeth with it. Awsome stuff!!! and a real space saver!!!

Well, not all of us are ignoring hygiene, though you may have to go back to the first few pages to see what some of the more comprehensive kits include.

My Personal Hygiene kit includes the following:

Hygiene :
1 - Medium Microfiber Towel
1 - Washcloth
2 - Bars, Unscented soap (Do NOT use scented)
1 - Bar, shaving soap
1 - Razor with additional heads
1 - "Unbreakable" mirror
1 - Toothbrush
1 - Tube, Toothpaste
1 - Microfiber towel (buy a Sham-Wow and make Finch happy)
1 - Roll, Floss
1 - Pr. Tweezers

Though, I do take a different perspective on the kit than most.  While the product you highlight is handy, the problem with it is that it's a one-shot deal.  Additionally, I have the requirement of my full BOB/PERK that it provide for me as long as possible.  I will not risk my life, or those of my family members, that the 3-6 day window will satisfactorily be met.  With some of the luck I've had, the disaster that forced me to move might also eventually threaten the destination.

Likewise, if the situation is truly dire, I may not have proper intel on the destination.  Therefore, I choose all my items to be durable as well as lightweight.  All the items I listed above fit in a small, waterproof zippered bag that's approximately 9" x 6".  The soaps and toothpaste will last a lot longer than a week and I only need about a quart of water to take a passable "bath."

The Professor

Offline The Professor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #213 on: January 16, 2011, 08:54:20 PM »
Professor, try getting a bottle of what I call hippy soap... Dr. Bronners The stuff comes in large and a small travel sized bottle. You can wash your hair, your body, and you can brush your teeth with it. Awsome stuff!!! and a real space saver!!!

Is it scented?

The Professor

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #214 on: January 16, 2011, 11:41:46 PM »
Hippy Soap  ;)

There does not appear to be a unscented option.

It is a unique product. I used it exclusively when guiding trips in the BWCAW.

Offline cartpusher

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Survival Gear Bags
« Reply #215 on: January 17, 2011, 06:01:16 AM »
Yeah, I think I have only seen Dr. Bronner's in a peppermint scent.

Offline The Professor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #216 on: January 17, 2011, 11:14:41 AM »
We actually use our kits, exactly as they are listed, at least twice a year for practice.  One of the things I've learned, both from practices and hunting, is that you do not want any scented or perfumed products with you.  Those smells attract both rodents and insects.

I'm very adamant about unscented or "hunter's"-type soap and hygiene products.  Even our clothes are washed using unscented detergents.

The Professor

Offline JohnAdams

• Prepper
« Reply #217 on: January 22, 2011, 01:23:58 PM »
As I've mentioned before, I don't have all my equipment in a single BOB. Instead, I have a tiered model. I always have my EDC, which augments my GHB, which augments by BOB, which augments my car. You can see my inventory here:

Equipment_List.xls

Would love to have thoughts/feedback.

Offline Sequanti

• Survivor
« Reply #218 on: January 22, 2011, 04:00:58 PM »
Professor,

Dr. Bronner's most popular is peppermint. That is what I have used and I have never had a problem with insects (or rodents for that matter). It might be enough to arouse the curiosity of larger and more dangerous animals such as bear if they are in your area. I remember putting tooth paste in bear bags for that reason.

Anyway, it is also available in Almond, Baby Mild, Citrus, Eucalyptus, Lavender, Rose, and Tea Tree. Baby mild is unscented so that might be your best bet. You can but it online in all sizes, but if you can get a travel size to try out first I would.

It would be nice (hint, hint) if someone tested the different scents to see what they might attract.

I have used it for body soap, shampoo, teeth, mouthwash, clothes and dishes. It concentrated so a little goes a long way. It does have a little bit of a soapy taste, so you may not want to get rid of your tooth paste yet. Not bad, but noticeable even with peppermint. I would imagine the unscented baby mild would be more soap-like.

I don't usually gravitate to things for their "eco-friendliness" but this is a great multi-tasking soap that happens to be "green".

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #219 on: January 25, 2011, 12:34:14 PM »
Another possible option for an all-around soap is Tropical Traditions soap. It is soaponified organic coconut oil with no other ingredients, for the unscented version anyway. It comes both as a bar and as a liquid with a foam dispenser. I'm sure Dr. Bronner's is great, but I personally tend to lean towards the shorter ingredient lists.

It'd be interesting to experiment with the two and see if there's a difference with how many critters each attracts (or doesn't, as the case may be).

Offline elcoyote

• Gypsy Prepper Squad
  • Survivor
    • Crap! I'm An Adult!
« Reply #220 on: January 29, 2011, 07:46:51 PM »
I don't know about rodent's and other mammals, but I do know that insects can't stand the smell of lavender. Dr Brommers has kept me free of ticks, skeets and other creepy crawlies for a few years on the road. It is kinda expensive though.

Offline duster22

• Prepper
« Reply #221 on: January 29, 2011, 08:15:53 PM »
Shoe Goo has a place in my BOB.
Given the importance of reliable footwear in a SHTF scenario, a cheap tube of simple Shoe Goo to make an on-the-fly repair to your footwear can make a world of difference if your sole separates or you get a rip or hole or chunk torn out.

Offline Scotty2Hotty

• Prepper
  • All the way!
« Reply #222 on: January 29, 2011, 09:13:08 PM »
Shoe Goo has a place in my BOB.

I love that stuff!!!  Ever since I had a boot blow out 10 miles into a 25 mile ruck march I have always kept some in my ruck (BOB). Its also really handy in a emergency as a quick fire starter.

Offline Matt.T

• Prepper
« Reply #223 on: February 03, 2011, 10:21:01 AM »
I keep my BOB as simple as my philosophy on prepping; rely on Skills, Knowledge and Abilities rather than on gear.

With that said, my immediate plan in a SHTF scenario is to Bug-In as long as possible, or at least until I gain a better understanding of what exactly it is I am responding to. When that time comes, I'll make the decision to stay or go. If I go, I plan to relocate to my BOL, at which I have stocked items intended for long-term habitation. Of course I'll have to get to my BOL and that will require using my BOB. I would prefer to drive, but if need be I can get to my BOL by foot in two days, which is why my BOB is supplied for three.

Backpack (Snugpack 35 Sleeka) - I like this one because it is size of a normal schoolbag backpack, it will handle rugged conditions, and doesn't look "tactical."
- Water bottle (wrapped with some duct tape) and purification tablets
- Rations (tuna packets, jerky, energy bars, nuts, dried fruit, herbal tea, Bisquick in small zip-locks)
- Metal cup (slides over bottom of water bottle)
- Plastic spoon
- Basic First-Aid Kit
- Leather gloves, fleece wind-proof gloves, microfleece tuque, smartwool socks
- Stormproof jacket (to be worn)
- Headlamp with extra batteries
- 550 cord
- Multitool
- Mylar blanket
- Recon 3 patrol sleeping bag (SUPER small when compressed)
- Knife with sharpener
- Lighters (2)
- TP and hand sanitizer
- Collapsible Nalgene water canteen (to be filled prior to bugging-out)
- Quart (2) and Gallon (1) size freezer zip-locks
- Pack towel
- Backpacker canister stove and 1 fuel canister
- Weapon repair and cleaning kit
- 2 extra ammunition magazines
- Small MOLLE pouch: (items used to negotiate my way to BOL if roads are blocked, monitored or dangerous)
  - Binoculars
  - Topo maps of local area
  - Lensatic compass
  - Rite-in-Rain notebook and pen
  - Extra lighter

And of course my weapon.

All packed, it weights about 20-25 pounds, and I still have 1/3 of the room available for add-ins.

Offline kenser321

• Survivor
« Reply #224 on: February 05, 2011, 11:26:58 PM »
Ok be nice on the criticism I literally just grabbed the random items I had in my house and put together two BOB's one for my fiance and one for myself. The fish are basically screwed. And no idea what the cat is gonna do if we have to hoof it and ditch the BOV. I plan on putting a small pack on the dog and having him carry some food. Hes a small dog, but he can probably carry about 3 days worth of food. I am also putting together a tote for the BOV, but thats another thread. I also keep a few things in my pockets like a multitool, folding knife, various medicines, and a mini bic, but again thats another thread. Anyhow here is what I came up with.

My bag:

German Ruck from Cabelas
Two thin ratchet straps. To tie down sleeping bag.
Walmart sleeping bag
Box of bird load shotgun shells 20 gauge
Box of 50 Round Speer Gold dot ammo
BDU Pants
Thermal shirt
T-shirt
Underwear
Socks
Plastic garbage bag to keep clothes dry
 Shake flashlight
Lock and Lock tupperware for fire kit contents: Also good for water
Scrap paracord for kindling
Mini Bic
Flint and Steel
3 Boxes of matches
Small pocket knife
Fire sticks
4 tealights
Baggy for food procurement contents":
2 yo yo reels
Snare wire
Regional edible plant flash cards
Altoids tin with taste better kit (LOL) contents:
small bottle of tabasco sauce
two chicken bouillon cubes
2 packets Crystal Light
2 packets of tea
4 packs Stevia

Rain Poncho
20 Foot Nylon Rope
200 Feet Paracord 550
Nalgene Bottle
Camp Coffee pot. I can boil water, cook food, gather water, etc with this. A bit heavy, but totally multipurpose. And I can throw it right on the fire and not worry about it melting.
Water purifier tabs.
Survival Knife. The sheath wouldnt fit on my duty belt
Survival Stove with fuel tabs.
Mini SAS survival book
Roll of Duct Tape

Duty Belt
Raptor 2 holster for my Glock 17
Glock 17
dual mag pouch
2  17 round mags with the rest of my speer gold dot rounds.
Pepper spray pouch
Law Enforcement grade pepper spray
Key holder. Probably going to attach a few things to this.
Handcuff pouch
Handcuffs.. Extra weight I know, but  you dont always want to shoot first.
Glove Holder pouch
Plastic gloves...Blood Born Pathogens you get the point.

Carrying: 20 gauge shotgun.
Fiances bag:

Survival stove with fuel tabs
Small Survival guide more geared towards her: It pretty much says don't panic 5 times in every chapter.
Med Kit contents:
anti-fungal cream
Antibiotic cream
Ibuprofen
Antacid
Benadryl
Various bandages
Hand sanitizer
mini sewing kit
Rain Poncho
Spare Clothes
Headlamp with batteries
50 foot paracord 550
shake flashlight
Pepper Spray keychain
Survival in a bottle from Cabelas: Bandages, mini pocket knife, heat pads, matches, etc. Neat little setup.
Female items
Her Duty Belt: Adding more when I figure out what we need.
Handcuff Pouch
Handcuffs -She works Asset Protection so yes she already knows how to use them.
Multitool pouch with multitool

Things I still need:
Food
Emergency Blanket
Tarp
Dual Purpose pot
Anti-diarrheal tabs
Mini fishing kit
Hatchet
Whistle
Small assortment of seeds for a guerilla forest garden
another sleeping bag
camp mats
Chest Rig or vest with multiple pockets
foot powder
mess kits
Map and compass
Razors Soap Deodorant etc.
Toilet Paper
Handi Wipes
Bath in a bag

Want to upgrade:
2 Hennessee Hammocks
Those sleeping bags that are the size of a football
Underarmour  clothing
Shotgun or Rifle.

Things I had in my bag I already ditched: Due to weight. Swear I cut out 10 lbs.
Multi screwdriver
Binoculars
Extra box of bird shoutgun shells
Folding shovel
2 emergency flashlights.

Offline Medicineball

• Survivor
« Reply #225 on: February 06, 2011, 10:08:02 AM »
This is a really nice list. One comment, one question: (1) I don't think handcuffs are worth it. The last thing you want in a bug out situation is prisoners. (2) what are the yo-yos for? Thanks!

endurance

« Reply #226 on: February 06, 2011, 10:28:18 AM »
Ok be nice on the criticism I literally just grabbed the random items I had in my house and put together two BOB's one for my fiance and one for myself. The fish are basically screwed. And no idea what the cat is gonna do if we have to hoof it and ditch the BOV. I plan on putting a small pack on the dog and having him carry some food. Hes a small dog, but he can probably carry about 3 days worth of food. I am also putting together a tote for the BOV, but thats another thread. I also keep a few things in my pockets like a multitool, folding knife, various medicines, and a mini bic, but again thats another thread. Anyhow here is what I came up with.
Just a few questions:
What part of the country are you in?  (do you have seasonal weather concerns that need to be addressed?)
What is this kit to be used for?
Where will it be stored?

My car kit has more or less evolved over time into my BOB, but I have more than one now.  The purpose of my BOB is to get me home from where ever my car is.  4-5 days worth of food, warm clothes in the winter, rain gear, boots, repair kit, first aid, etc.  However, at work, my kit is designed to get me out of the building or to bug in for 3 days (smoke hood, flash lights, food, blanket, rappel rope, etc.).  My home is my BOL with two friends homes serving as short term shelters in the event of wildland fire, severe winter storm keeping me from getting home, local problems, etc. 

One thing I keep meaning to put together is a can work but can't go home kit.  Just 3 days worth of clean clothes for work in a bag stored in my office in case weather or some other factor keeps me in a hotel for a few days.  Is it essential for life?  No, but it could bring a lot of comfort in an otherwise unfortunate situation.  Sure beats trying to drive home in severe weather and winding up dead in a car accident.

Offline mvrck

• Prepper
« Reply #227 on: February 06, 2011, 11:38:52 AM »
BOB Field Report.

I put together a BOB last fall and I work a lot in off-grid situations. So, I have been using my BOB as practice, especially to make lunch out of the back of my work van.

I had a project come up that was 3 nights out of town installing solar on someone's BOL.  :)

Everything worked pretty well, except for two issues:

1. It was much colder than I had planned and if it were not for the customer leaving an extra sleeping bag, I would have froze my buns off. My cheapy 40 degree bag was not enough for the cold weather. Lesson learned to watch the weather a bit closer.

2. One of my bug out items is a waterproof match container and water resistant matches. After about a dozen lights, the striker on the bottom of the container became impregnated with wax from the match tips and would no longer light the matches. Luckily, I had extra boxes of matches in the van and could ignite the Esbit bricks ok. Those extra matches were moved back to the bob along with a bic and a magnesium block.

Another side issue is the Esbit fuel blocks and that little stove. It works much better if you can block the wind on 2 or 3 sides...

Good Luck!

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #228 on: February 06, 2011, 02:59:13 PM »
2. One of my bug out items is a waterproof match container and water resistant matches. After about a dozen lights, the striker on the bottom of the container became impregnated with wax from the match tips and would no longer light the matches. Luckily, I had extra boxes of matches in the van and could ignite the Esbit bricks ok. Those extra matches were moved back to the bob along with a bic and a magnesium block.

From the looks of it, I'm not sure that what is on the bottom of your match container is intended as a match striker. I bought a similar container and the package specifically listed it as a flint (or something like that) for sparks rather than a match striker. One thing that makes me think yours is the same is that it looks round rather than flat. If it was intended for matches, it would probably be flat.

Offline kenser321

• Survivor
« Reply #229 on: February 06, 2011, 03:14:44 PM »
I live in zone 2. Yo to reels are a way of absentee fishing. Plenty of YouTube videos on them. Also my bob is general purpose. I plan on throwing it in my car when I'm not home and leaving it next to the door when I am. Also my choice of clothing would be underarmour. It's light weight wick sweat and I can be warm or cool in it regardless of the season. I also plan on keeping a tote full of goodies in my vehicle for bugging out. Check out road warriors 5 minute bug out challenge on YouTube. Also I may just get handcuff zip ties as a lightweight alternative. And besides I don't want to blast everyone. They might be useful to me.

Offline Tactical Hippie

• Survivor
« Reply #230 on: February 06, 2011, 09:41:47 PM »
I live in zone 2. Yo to reels are a way of absentee fishing. Plenty of YouTube videos on them. Also my bob is general purpose. I plan on throwing it in my car when I'm not home and leaving it next to the door when I am. Also my choice of clothing would be underarmour. It's light weight wick sweat and I can be warm or cool in it regardless of the season. I also plan on keeping a tote full of goodies in my vehicle for bugging out. Check out road warriors 5 minute bug out challenge on YouTube. Also I may just get handcuff zip ties as a lightweight alternative. And besides I don't want to blast everyone. They might be useful to me.

I have large HVAC ductwork zip ties for that purpose in my BOB.  Not that I would take any prisoners....but if someone I run across it trying to do us harm ect.....I would rather incapicate than shoot them if possible.  I'd zip tie his ass to a tree or something and be on my merry way.  lol

Offline kenser321

• Survivor
« Reply #231 on: February 07, 2011, 04:41:19 AM »
Oh I totally plan on defending my family, but not everyone is going to be out to kill you. :o

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #232 on: February 07, 2011, 05:14:20 AM »
 I had the same problem with those waterproof match containers when I experimented with them on solo camping trips. I had empty boxes from the strike anywhere matches, and cut the striker from the side into small circles that fit inside the lid 3 or 4 layers thick. I though that possibly the matches could ignite from rubbing the heads against the material, so I just put the  top one in upside-down. This way, I have a backup striker when the one on the container gets coated with wax. (also saved my butt when I dropped the container in mud) I've considered using a separate match container with the entire box striker rolled up inside as another backup.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #233 on: February 07, 2011, 05:45:13 AM »
We have a couple of those same match containers (in orange) and that is a mini ferrite striker on the bottom.  Hit it with a hacksaw blade or other sharp edged piece of metal and it should throw a few sparks.

Offline TANK

• Survivor
« Reply #234 on: February 07, 2011, 07:37:50 AM »
I have some of those match containers as well, but I like pill bottles I use them all of the time now, they are about the same size as the match containers. I cut out a small piece of sand paper glued it inside of  the lid of the pill bottle. I found a military first aid kit pouch at the military surplus store, just big enough for three pill bottles, one for matches, one for char cloth and another for greased up cotton balls. put on a piece of para cord and hangs on my neck with a neck knive pocket knife and small multi-tool.

Offline Matt.T

• Prepper
« Reply #235 on: February 07, 2011, 12:46:43 PM »
This is what was in my first BOB. I've added some things and taken away others. This is based off of my professional training as a scout in the Army, and also my personal interest in bushcraft.

I try to keep my gear to the minimum, knowing that my BOB is intended to get me from my BIL to my BOL. I prefer to rely on my skills, knowledge and abilities in order to perform the tasks, and use my gear as tools to accomplish the tasks.
Each item I carry has a specific purpose that fulfills one of the five human survival needs. I’ve added hygiene to the list and combined food and water.

1)Shelter - protection from the elements
2)Food & Water - essentials to life
3)Fire - warmth, comfort, and a supplement to food and water
4)Hygiene - stay healthy to stay alive
5)Other - the rest of the "must haves"

A- Shelter
 1-Recon 3 -5C sleeping bag (very compact and warm)
 2-Snugpak gortex bivi/poncho (keeps the elements off of my body)
 3-100ft 550 cord (hang poncho or a hundred other uses)

B- Food & Water
 4-Rations (jerky, dried fruit, nuts, biscuit mix, hard candy, multivitamins - 2/3 days)
 5-1L Nalgene water bottle (wide-mouthed and wrapped with duct tape)
 6-Titanium cup (stores on bottom of water bottle; can boil water and cook in)
 7-1L collapsible canteen (platypus; stores small when not in use, provides extra carrying capacity of water)
 8-30 Katadyn Micropur water purification tablets (no after taste of iodine; purifies 1L of water per tablet; small)
 9-Crux ultralight canister stove (collapsible to fit under fuel canister; provides expedient method of boiling water)
 10-plastic spoon (high temperature resistant; almost unbreakable)
 11-2x 1 quart freezer zip-lock bags (strong storage containers for water, food, fire starting material, etc.)

C- Fire
 12-Gerber camp axe (ancient tool used for many purposes from camp chores to cutting up a large animal)
 13-Fire starters (always have 3 methods - Fresnal lens, firesteel and striker, 2x Bic lighters)
 14-Mil-grade pocket saw (high quality; can cut down large standing dead trees for firewood)

D- Hygiene
 15-Basic First Aid kit (contents posted in other forum thread - http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=24567.msg272532#msg272532)
 16-Brommer's camp soap (can be used to wash dishes, body, hands, hair, etc.; biodegradable)
 17-bandana (useful for a hundred things; can be used as a sanitary wipe)
 18-toothbrush (keeps your mouth healthy; toothaches can be debilitating)

E- Other
 19-Mora stainless steel knife (man's oldest tool; will not rust)
 20-microfleece tuque (reduces heat lose)
 21-Carhartt leather work gloves (useful for collecting firewood, handling hot metal cup, protection from weather, etc.)
 22-topographical map (local area that can be accessed by foot)
 23-Brunton compass (simple and does not rely on batteries; a must have for navigation)

Not Shown-
 Snugpak 35 Sleeka backpack (very durable, non-tactical look, comfortable, still have 1/2 of pack available for add-ins)
 Weapon (OPSEC)
 Weapon cleaning and repair kit

Put all away, ready to load into backpack:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 02:13:34 PM by Matt.T »

Offline mvrck

• Prepper
« Reply #236 on: February 07, 2011, 01:39:23 PM »
Matt.T,

Awesome selection. I will take notes...

I was thinking of making a BIC (Bug in Car Kit), moving a lot of stuff from my BOB to the BIC and thinning down a bit the BOB.

You have given me some good ideas.

Thanks

Offline Tactical Hippie

• Survivor
« Reply #237 on: February 07, 2011, 02:52:43 PM »
Those recon 3 bags are sweet.  I want to eventually have 3, one for each member of the family.  Nice setup!
                                                                                                                                Tac Hip

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #238 on: February 07, 2011, 03:34:21 PM »
I have large HVAC ductwork zip ties for that purpose in my BOB.  Not that I would take any prisoners....but if someone I run across it trying to do us harm ect.....I would rather incapicate than shoot them if possible.  I'd zip tie his ass to a tree or something and be on my merry way.  lol

According to ITS Tactical even the biggest, baddest zip ties are fairly easy to escape from if you know how.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 04:05:11 PM by Dainty »

Offline Tactical Hippie

• Survivor
« Reply #239 on: February 07, 2011, 05:33:57 PM »
According to ITS Tactical even the biggest, baddest zip ties are fairly easy to escape from if you know how.

In the video the zip ties are put on with his hands in front of him....I really cant imagine in what scenario that I would want to tie someone with their hands in the front.  Also If I'm not mistaken, Law encorcement do not use a single zip tie.  There are 2 ties one for each had interlocked behind your back...maybe even ran through a belt if subject was wearing one.  If I'm going to tie someone up, I'm just trying to buy time to get away, not permantly restrain them.

With that being said...that was actually a cool post!  I learned something new.  Thanks for the feedback and the link!