Author Topic: What do you keep in your BOB (Bug Out Bag) & Why?  (Read 362330 times)

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
Re: What do you keep in your BOB (Bug Out Bag) & Why?
« Reply #240 on: February 07, 2011, 08:25:30 PM »
In the video the zip ties are put on with his hands in front of him....I really cant imagine in what scenario that I would want to tie someone with their hands in the front.  Also If I'm not mistaken, Law encorcement do not use a single zip tie.  There are 2 ties one for each had interlocked behind your back...maybe even ran through a belt if subject was wearing one.  If I'm going to tie someone up, I'm just trying to buy time to get away, not permantly restrain them.

There's more than one video....including one on breaking them with hands behind the back and also one on dual zip ties, same concept.

With that being said...that was actually a cool post!  I learned something new.  Thanks for the feedback and the link!
You're welcome, glad to help!

Offline TANK

• Survivor
« Reply #241 on: February 08, 2011, 07:34:59 AM »
My wife and I went to a garage sale this past summer I found two not to big meat cleavers. I bought both of them for $2.00 I was thinking about a post on here comparing a hatchet and a saw. Some are correct about the weight of the hatchet, I did some reserch and discovered the meat cleaver will do everything the hatchet will do. And is easier to sharpen and keep sharp. I made a sheath for both of the meat cleavers one for my wife's BOB and one for mine. They are sharp as a knife will do the slicing and diceing just as well as a knife and chop as well as a hatchet.

One other item we thought about in a SHTF SITUATION a BIBLE is always good to have with you. NOT JUST A NEW TESTMENT BUT A COMPLETE BIBLE, AGAIN A GARAGE SALE was the right place to find not one but two. My wife's BOB

Offline TANK

• Survivor
« Reply #242 on: February 08, 2011, 07:36:11 AM »
OOPS I HIT THE WRONG BUTTON, as I was saying my wifes BOB

Offline Halyna

• Prepper
« Reply #243 on: February 17, 2011, 11:50:48 AM »
What great ideas...But I didnt see any of you have listed...
A notebook with all kinds of info (stored in a ziplock bag, of course) with everyone's phone numbers, neighbors, work phones, written instructions re KI dosages, maps and directions where I might most likely get stuck, and directions on how to get to my safe meet-up location from as many different routes as I could find,  churches, public places on routes.....pretty much ANYTHING I could think of. 
And the same for my children, 3 different meeting places from the 4 different directions.  What the kids should do if they have to abandon their car on route, and basic survival techniques (like tarp-tent, hobo can, etc).

Roadracer

« Reply #244 on: February 22, 2011, 11:58:28 AM »
Our family BOB is after many years of adding/subtracting is at it's lightest ever.
The first reason is weight. I did a 3 day hike with our bug out bag & S W O R E to lighten that thing up. It felt like a manchu-mile.

As a 72 hour bag it needs to make a person self-sufficient for that time. Things like chainsaws, bulldozers & backhoes are a killer to hump for that period of time. It gives us the basics rules of 3's: Shelter, water & food. Shelter is a 4 man tent, Water is a minimal 2 gallons with the ability to purify more & MRE's for 3 days. Instant oats, hard candy, gum & peanut butter are extras. Peanut butter has a great shelf-life & offers protiens & fats & great caloric density. A complete first aid kit is also on board for a JIC. A Gerber LMFII is my knife of choice along with a Leatherman Wave. Poopie-paper & waterless hand sanitizer is there for business purposes & a small tooth paste & brushes for all. My wife & I wear contacts so spare up-to-date glasses are also in there. A mini-kit (survival kit) is also in there. I'm sure I'm missing a few but that about covers it. We would be leaving with a location in mind. I fear for the "run to the hills" types. They will find themselves in a rather precarious situation.

That's about it. Firearms are not stored in the bag as it is in an unsecured location in the house. Due to children I won't risk that one. A big bright yellow tag is attached as a reminder to grab our Hard-drive (pictures) SS & birth certificates & such from our secured location on the premises. Pictures are the most important IMO. You can get another Birth certificate. You can't re-take pictures of your children when they were little 10-20 years ago or of deceased loved ones.

I too am very against bugging out unless the house is going to be destroyed.

RR
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 12:12:03 PM by Roadracer »

Offline average_joe

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #245 on: February 22, 2011, 01:17:33 PM »
I keep a small bundle of framing shims in the GHB. It is good dry wood and is easy to work with for getting a fire started in wet conditions.

Offline Tiderian

• Prepper
« Reply #246 on: February 25, 2011, 02:10:50 PM »
"A big bright yellow tag is attached as a reminder to grab our Hard-drive (pictures) SS & birth certificates & such from our secured location on the premises. Pictures are the most important IMO. You can get another Birth certificate. You can't re-take pictures of your children when they were little 10-20 years ago or of deceased loved ones."

RR - not to tell you your business, but *please* fire up that hard drive long enough to make copies onto other media. I've learned from experience that unused drives have a habit of not working again after being in storage a while. I've lost some stuff I wish I hadn't because I assumed that an untouched hard drive was an excellent long-term storage. I'd hate to see that happen to anyone else.

Also - if you have a place that you can do so (an office, friend or relative's home, bank box, etc.) it's a good idea to store at least one copy of that stuff offsite.

I like the 3-2-1 rule; at least 3 copies, on 2 different types of media (hard drive & DVD, CD & flash drive, etc),  and at least one copy is stored offsite. Yes, I realize that sounds excessive, but if it's really important to you it's no burden at all.

T

Offline Xavier

• Survivor
« Reply #247 on: February 25, 2011, 02:22:46 PM »
Store it in "The Cloud."

www.box.net is a great repository.  And, it costs you nothing.

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #248 on: February 26, 2011, 06:44:19 AM »
Going to start a thread dedicated to off site important stuff storage...maybe a mod could move these last couple posts there.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #249 on: February 26, 2011, 10:23:52 AM »
^^^ PM sent

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #250 on: February 26, 2011, 10:51:18 AM »
Here is a link to a new thread on storing your important documents and photos.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=25259.0

Offline duster22

• Prepper
« Reply #251 on: March 09, 2011, 06:26:23 AM »
I keep a small bundle of framing shims in the GHB. It is good dry wood and is easy to work with for getting a fire started in wet conditions.

Great idea!  I also have a little fatwood in there that goes up like no one's business.  I'll have to grab some shims and put them together in my fire pack.  Thanks for the tip!

Offline metatron

• Prepper
  • English guy
« Reply #252 on: March 28, 2011, 11:28:12 AM »
Books/Info/Comm's

Food For Free - I carry food but you can never have to much, plus supplementing it makes it last longer.
SAS Survival Handbook - Lots of great info
Nokia N810 - It does GPS, plus I have things like my CV and other important documents encrypted along with a few hundred ebooks.
4 extra batteries - for the N810
Modded Icom IC-E90 - My main radio for communication, its fitted with a Diamond SRH-940
Modded Yaesu vx-6r - This is fitted with a Comet SMA-701 (fits in my pocket) and is my back up radio, it is also always tuned to PMR channels
Uniden UBC3500XLT scanner - It has Close call to autotune into anyone broadcasting.

Tools

Folding saw - Building shelter and traps
Folding shovel - Digging a hole to poop in as well as other digging needs
Hand Axe - Building shelter and chopping wood
Lock Knife
2 Mora Knife
Gerber Gator Jr - Building shelter (makes it much faster to cut roof pools)
Small claw hammer - Making traps
Bag of small brass nails - Making traps
Brass wire - Making traps.
Double sided sharpening stone - Sharpening knifes and axe.
2 LED torches - I need to see at night
LED wide up head lamp - I need to see at night
Compass and local maps - Sometime GPS doesn't work
Fishing kit - Need to catch food
Solar battery charger - I like having radios
AA and AAA batteries - Power

Food/cooking

4 mountain house meals - There fast and light
2 Nalgene bottles of water - Got to have water
Hot chocolate - Sugar is a great boost
Instant coffee - You can just eat it to keep awake
Chocolate covered expresso beans - Keeps you away
Jerky - Extra energy
Small Kelly Kettle + Pot holder - I live in the UK, it rains a lot and this works in all conditions with minimal dry wood.  
Zebra cooking pot - Really nice pot for cooking things I catch.
Aluminum foil - Useful for cooking fish
2 disposable lighter - I need fire and they work great
Zipo Lighter + 4 cans of fluid and extra flints - Nice long life and well made fire making.
Magnesium firefighter - Works when nothing else will.
Bike inner tube - If everything else is wet including the inner tube, it still lights if you can't be bothered to make feather sticks.
Tinder - Never know when you might need one.
Spork - My hands might be dirty
Aluminum cup - Mostly for coffee
Duct tape - If you can't fix it with duct tape, you are not using enough duct tape

Shelter/Clothing

Poncho - Keeps you dry and can act as a shelter if needed
Balaclava - Keeps my face warm
Tarp - Keeps the rain away until, you can make something/ or if you are moving about saves you time.
Ground sheet - The UK is very muddy.
Self inflating mat - Keeps you warm.
Bivvy bag - Keeps you dry.
Sleeping bag with cotton liner - Keeps you warm.
Toilet paper - Beats leafs
Toothpaste - Got to keep clean
Toothbrush- Got to keep clean
Soap - Got to keep clean
Change of clothes - Got to keep clean
Tent pegs - Yes you can make them, but they save time.
550 Paracord - Helpful in lots of ways
Work gloves - Keeps you hands clean, safe and warm.
Waterproofs - It rains a lot.

First aid kit

Basic kit with plasters, bandages and such
Water purification tablets - For when you can't find the time to boil it.
Pain killers - You can never be sure
Wipes - Clean cuts
Antibiotics - You can never be sure
8 Glow sticks - Back up light

All this stuff is in a full-size 120 litre bergen. I'm 6 foot 7 inches with a rugby player build and I've had no issue carrying the load on a 8 mile mock bug out.

That's my main one.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 12:10:28 PM by metatron »

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #253 on: April 06, 2011, 10:02:03 AM »
Flagtag mentioned extra ziplock bags. I would add, nitrile disposable gloves - the sterile kind and the mechanic'x type. Also the food safe thin disposables. There might be times when you really don't want to get your hands that dirty - or expose someone else un-neccessarily. Examples might be cleaning an infected wound, doing alittle emergency dentistry to your other half, cleaning guns with solvents and oils, filed dressing game etc.

Offline Mike Honcho

• Survivor
  • Est. 1974
« Reply #254 on: April 07, 2011, 10:41:17 AM »
Here's a spreadsheet I created a year or so ago when I started prepping to keep myself on track... Cells in green are in the B.O.B / B.I.B. (or next to it)... Items in white are still needed... Enjoy - MH

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #255 on: April 07, 2011, 12:11:34 PM »
There are lots of other cheap options.  I won't say that one is better than the other 'cuz YMMV.  But here are options which take less room 
Vaseline and cotton balls in a film canister
Wood shavings and parafin mixed together in a dixie cup
lint from the dryer, packed in a dixie cup, poor parafin and add more lint, etc
There are over-the-counter versions which are small, unsure of the price such as Fire Paste in a tube and pressed wood and wax that look like candy bars

Offline metatron

• Prepper
  • English guy
« Reply #256 on: April 07, 2011, 02:09:07 PM »
There are lots of other cheap options.  I won't say that one is better than the other 'cuz YMMV.  But here are options which take less room 
There are over-the-counter versions which are small, unsure of the price such as Fire Paste in a tube and pressed wood and wax that look like candy bars

Its extremely cheap to make charcloth from an old t-shirt, you can also make feather sticks even when things are wet.

Offline joejoe

• Prepper
Essential Kit in the BOB (List your top four or five)
« Reply #257 on: April 16, 2011, 11:15:24 AM »
I've watched several You Tube vids lately to see what everyone else is carrying. One vid I watched the guy was carrying six books and about ten pairs on scissors??
So whats the main items to carry.
For me:
Its shelter - light weight tent and bivi. (tarp in warmer clims)
Sleep - light weight sleeping bag
Food and water.
Lighter

So whats your top four must have items.

Offline metatron

• Prepper
  • English guy
Re: Essential Kit in the BOB (List your top four or five)
« Reply #258 on: April 16, 2011, 11:52:42 AM »
I've watched several You Tube vids lately to see what everyone else is carrying. One vid I watched the guy was carrying six books and about ten pairs on scissors??
So whats the main items to carry.
For me:
Its shelter - light weight tent and bivi. (tarp in warmer clims)
Sleep - light weight sleeping bag
Food and water.
Lighter

Way to make a fire - Lighter/Swedish steel and a knife
Way to make a shelter - Folding saw
way to cook/clean water - A Pot

It rains a lot here so clean water is not an issue.

endurance

Re: Essential Kit in the BOB (List your top four or five)
« Reply #259 on: April 16, 2011, 12:50:14 PM »
Honestly?  A credit card for a hotel for the night and meals, a clean change of work clothes, my cell phone with its phonebook, and my i-pod. 

My most likely disasters are a severe winter storm keeping me from getting home or a wildland fire making me leave my home.  While I do keep a complete car kit with food, water, shelter, heat and light; when it comes to the need to bug out, I want to be able to comfortably go to work from a hotel, not start a fire in the snow.  I'm jus' sayin'...

Offline average_joe

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #260 on: April 24, 2011, 08:21:26 AM »
Great idea!  I also have a little fatwood in there that goes up like no one's business.  I'll have to grab some shims and put them together in my fire pack.  Thanks for the tip!

You're welcome duster22!

Those are all good options for fire starting ag2. I have a flint and steel, a lighter, matches and a small tube of Vaseline with a bag of cotton balls. I can also use the cotton balls as a simple water filtrate. I use the shims as kindling. I'm thinking i could also use them as a base and handhold for a bow drill, but i haven't tried it. I don't know if the wood is hard enough.   

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #261 on: April 25, 2011, 09:54:06 AM »

Dude, you can't tell us you found something like that without posting a link!

The Professor

Offline Greg1109

• Prepper
  • Let's get Bendy!
« Reply #262 on: April 26, 2011, 04:30:24 PM »
What do I keep in my BOB?  Nothing.

Why??   Because it's coming in the mail tomorrow!!  *giddy*   

I've seen so many good suggestions and ideas on this thread, I can hardly wait to start stuffing it!!

Brilliant idea goes to the guy with the mousetrap in his.  (on my iPod at the moment, so it's hard to go back to look and see who it was)   I'm going to assume it's for catching small game and not some wacky booby-trap like the Asian kid in The Goonies would have.

Offline Smith

• Senior Survivalist
  • another number
« Reply #263 on: April 27, 2011, 12:43:21 PM »
Brilliant idea goes to the guy with the mousetrap in his. 

I second that. Also could be used for a makeshift entry alarm.

Offline 3:16

• Prepper
  • I love God, my Wife, my Son and my country.
« Reply #264 on: April 29, 2011, 10:41:21 PM »
I list my bug out bag inventory once I get home in the morning but 1 thing I know that not a lot of people talk about is rehydration personally I keep enough of the powdered gatorade mix to make two gallons in a vacuum seal bag. in a really bad situations you can mix it triple or quadruple the recommended amount and have a super hydrating mixed drink that will replenish many of the lost nutrients and electrolytes that you will in a stressful situation you will be better physically and mentally properly hydrated as well make better decisions. take it from too many times to count of experience. ps I love this form well really the whole site :)

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #265 on: April 30, 2011, 08:40:44 AM »
I list my bug out bag inventory once I get home in the morning but 1 thing I know that not a lot of people talk about is rehydration personally I keep enough of the powdered gatorade mix to make two gallons in a vacuum seal bag. in a really bad situations you can mix it triple or quadruple the recommended amount and have a super hydrating mixed drink that will replenish many of the lost nutrients and electrolytes that you will in a stressful situation you will be better physically and mentally properly hydrated as well make better decisions. take it from too many times to count of experience. ps I love this form well really the whole site :)

Welcome to the forum, I see you've swung by the Front Porch and introduced yourself, that's a lot of living you've crammed, so far, into your 21 years!

Many of us do include rehydration regimens in our kits.  Some use Gatorade, as you suggested, others use any of a number of alternate brands of rehydration products.

However, I did wish to point out that your recommendation of "stacking" or concentrating rehydration solutions really is very unnecessary and some of the alleged benefits of doing so goes contrary to science.

First of all, Gatorade has very little in the way of nutrients.  It's quite simply a little sugar, a little salt, a lot of water and some flavoring.  You can mix a batch of rehydration solution at home for a lot less than what they're selling it to you.  A simple review of the label will show absolutely nothing other than a very small number of calories (for the weight), sodium, potassium and sugar.

In fact, even quadrupling the solution's mix (not really recommended, just using your recommendation as an example), barely meets the caloric level the liver can put back into the body in an hour.  The liver generally can put only about 220-250 calories back into the body if it's working properly and efficiently.  Unfortunately, what also happens is that the body cannot absorb most of those calories (and electrolytes) immediately. . .or even quickly, and you'll "flush" them out in your urine before they even have the opportunity to work.

So, in a nutshell, DON'T triple or quadruple the concentration of the mix.  In fact, it's actually better to halve the recommendation of the mix and drink a higher volume of fluid for rehydration.  If you want a quick boost, you're better off eating some candy with a much higher amount of simple sugars.

But nutrients and nutritional value?   Not with Gatorade.

Hope it helps.

The Professor

Secondly, the body can only replenish

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #266 on: April 30, 2011, 09:21:52 AM »

So should we call you "John"?

The Gatorade mixture well sealed is a worth while idea...I find that when I manage to give myself mild case of food poisoning - it helps quite the belly down a bit.   When Gatorade taste good, I know I have failed to keep myself hydrated correctly.   Right now I am trying out some true lemon mix + their orange to see how well the mixture will work for me. 

The true lemon is selection was based on adding a bit of flavor to plain water.  I find that lemon helps cut thru that cotton mouth feel when you don't hydrate correctly.

My office bag I have the standard first aide kit + 3 extra boxes of misc band aides, flashlight, spare batteries, gas-x, antacid, pocket knife, eight ( 8 ) bottles of water - 16 oz, 2 spare liter water bottles, aspirin, and a roll of duc tape.    I also keep a few other items at work that I don't consider part of the kit, food, instant tea, lemon aide mix, and cans of soup.

The car kit has similar items + change of clothes, filtered water bottle, razor knifes, spare flash lights, gloves, jacket...The distance from home to work is short (less than 2 miles) so that bag is intended to remain with the vehicle.

The home bag is nothing but a collection of smaller bags that contain specialized items like a more complete first aide kit, light source, camping food, poncho, compass, stove + fuel pellets, etc. These sub bags end up going into a small Alice back back which leaves room to add a sleeping bag if needed.  It was way too easy to over pack the full size Alice back pack, which will be used as an upgraded car survival bag in the future.

Offline cartpusher

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Survival Gear Bags
« Reply #267 on: May 01, 2011, 11:07:47 AM »
I started work on a new 24 hour, Get Home Bag today, and recruited my 4 year old daughter to help me with re-rolling some toilet paper and duct tape for the kit.   Before i know it she is starting work on her own Emergency Kit.  Her kit ended up being:

Bag - Pink Disney Princess back pack (Tactical version of course)
bag of pretzels
beef jerky
bag of cereal
flashlight
full roll of toilet paper
smaller re-rolled toilet paper
napkins
pencil
two erasers
blanky, folded and placed in ziplock
birthday cake decorating items - "in case you are stuck in your car, AND it is your birthday."

Offline Greg1109

• Prepper
  • Let's get Bendy!
« Reply #268 on: May 01, 2011, 11:48:55 AM »
That's a-freakin-dorable.  :-)

Offline Medicineball

• Survivor
« Reply #269 on: May 01, 2011, 03:08:30 PM »
Cartpusher, I did the same thing with my daughter and got a similar result! Good times!