Author Topic: What do you keep in your BOB (Bug Out Bag) & Why?  (Read 362283 times)

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: What do you keep in your BOB (Bug Out Bag) & Why?
« Reply #300 on: October 11, 2011, 10:19:37 AM »
Three seconds without safety/security: Security is top priority since its neglect can kill you the fastest. Even combat medics and emergency medical personel know this...they ensure the scene is safe before proceeding with medical care.
This, like sanitation is a practice and a matter of mindset, rather than something you pack in a survival kit.

Although some kind of cleaning and sterilizing agents should be part of a first aid kit (99.99% isopropyl alcohol, some hydrogen peroxide and perhaps some iodine soap) there is a practical limit to how far a few small bottles or packets of pre-moistened wipes will go if applied to general use. And I consider a first aid kit as a general piece of field gear that is carried on any outdoor foray in a cargo or coat pocket as opposed to something that sits in a bag in the closet waiting for a rainy day.

Under miscellaneous items I would recommend a dozen of three pairs of nitrile gloves and a pack of dollar store clear disposables (the type that come 100 to a bag). These will not weigh much and will go a long way to keeping your hands clean where water is scarce.

For a serious bug out on foot it is a good idea to be psychologically equipped to use other things in lieu of factory toilet paper as whatever you can carry in a pack or bag is not going to last very long at all.

Many people have survived for very long periods in the most appalling conditions by using their brains and being meticulously careful about food and water preparation and handling.

Offline The Fishin Magician

• Prepper
« Reply #301 on: October 11, 2011, 10:46:18 AM »
Three seconds without safety/security: Security is top priority since its neglect can kill you the fastest. Even combat medics and emergency medical personel know this...they ensure the scene is safe before proceeding with medical care.
This, like sanitation is a practice and a matter of mindset, rather than something you pack in a survival kit.

I agree, to a point. Skills will always be more important than gear...but gear is available for each category. Pepper spray, expandible batons, firearms, etc. are just examples of the tools used for the "safety/security category". It's implied that you have the skills and proper training in their use. The same thing goes with first aid. First aid supplies are practically useless without proper training.

The good thing is, no matter a person's skill level, there are items they can carry to cover them for each survival priority category. As skill level changes/improves, gear choices will more than likely change, as well.

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #302 on: October 12, 2011, 12:31:46 PM »
Again, firearms etc are not the kind of things you pack away in a bag for a rainy day. Not that I disagree with your points but the poster was asking about items and gear for the bag rather than skills and training.

Offline cranston

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #303 on: October 30, 2011, 09:05:12 PM »
Like most folks, my bag is a work in progress, depending on the time of year, my level of fitness, and what I've learned through field testing.  My goal is to have a bag I can hump for five to seven miles, arrive in good shape, and do it again the next day, and a third day.  For me, a 52 year old police sergeant in reasonably good shape, but living with dents and dings from a misspent youth in and out of uniform that amounts to 35 pounds or less.

If I can stay dry, fed, warm and injury free, plus be able to brew a decent cup of coffee, I can weather most hardship- so the things that allow me to do that and add as little as possible to my carry weight are what makes the cut. This week I'm weighing the nutritional benefits of MRE's with the amount of space they take up.  I'm also taking to care to make my daily off-duty wardrobe something where I don't need a total costume change to begin my "First day of the collapse" hike.  Good footwear (Merrill high tops in summer, Oakley combat boots in winter- a gift my son in law gave me on his return from Afghanistan, decent socks and clothing) leave room in my pack for dry smartwool socks and undies, and items for my other needs.

Two knives, one small and sharp (Mora blade) and one big and hefty (recon tanto), accompany the kershaw whirlwind that's always in my pocket.

I've also started thinking modular.  My EDC mini maxpedition cargo pocket pouch containing my blow out kit, extra 123 batteries, G2 light, space blanket and leatherman....

attaches to my shoulder bag, Maxpedition fatboy) containing extra magazines, meds, cash, and solar charger for my cell phone, energy bar and med kit. That goes on before I put on my....

three day bag- a no-name brand with a big fanny back that zips onto a ruck sack, containing food, water, army poncho, extra wound kit. a small .22 semi-auto with extra mags, pocket new testament, and some comfort items, including a airline sized bottle of bulliet kentucky bourbon for medicinal purposes of course.  I've recently added a swiss army volcano stove, which I can fill with small items, so it doesn't really add to weight or bulk.  Total weight (including some items I didn't list, a hair under 35#.

Offline cranston

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #304 on: November 01, 2011, 07:20:46 AM »
Again, firearms etc are not the kind of things you pack away in a bag for a rainy day. Not that I disagree with your points but the poster was asking about items and gear for the bag rather than skills and training.

A Firearm is exactly the thing I put in my bag for a rainy day.  A small .22, accurate, light, and legal is a good compromise for taking survival game and defense where a rifle is too much and a knife is too little.  Total weight with extra mags is just over a pound.  In my case it suppliments the CCW I always carry anyway..

Your mileage may vary.

Offline spooky-1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #305 on: November 10, 2011, 08:38:44 AM »
I just added these tools to my BOB in my truck. I was talking to some demo guys in the USAF and they said having good tools to "break in, break out" (BIBO) are useful. the tools they use are firefighter grade and VERY expensive (halligans, axes, torches, etc) since I cannot afford these, I asked the guys what the Poor mans version would be, after a few discussions I came up with my own BIBO gear. I even stripped and painted them to make them look tacti-cool.
I imagine needing these tools as a very last resort, I need to be in desperate situations to use this kit.

Offline Medicineball

• Survivor
« Reply #306 on: November 10, 2011, 08:26:38 PM »
Dude, if I pulled you over and you had these things I your car, you'd have some 'splainin to do. :)

Offline Smith

• Senior Survivalist
  • another number
« Reply #307 on: November 11, 2011, 03:10:28 PM »
Dude, if I pulled you over and you had these things I your car, you'd have some 'splainin to do. :)

Keep your government off of my toolbox!

Seriously though, what I think MB is getting at is that carting around what can be considered burglary tools can land you in hot water depending on the local laws. Mostly possession only comes into play if there is intent to commit a crime, and so its a charge tacked on to another charge such as tresspassing.

Imagine this scenario.

Its late at night and you're coming home from a job (a legit job  ;) ) . You notice that theres another car following you pretty close. This is odd because there are no other cars on the road this late and you are in a somewhat unfamiliar rural area. You get an uncomfortable feeling about it so you decide to pull off on one of the nearby dirt roads and let him pass. You turn onto the next gravel road that you see and the car turns right behind you lighting up his Sheriffs Dept strobes.

To him, you are an unfamilar car in his area at an odd hour of the night. Shining his light in your truck he sees a bunch of blackend burglary tools, and heck, he just doesn't like your "Don't Tread On Me Pigglet!" bumper sticker. Turns out your gravel road is actually some farmer's driveway and you are officially tresspassing. Not that you would necessarily be hauled in for these things, but it puts you in a precarious situation if say, he doesn't like you for some reason, he's a Grade A pr*ck, or you have any outstanding priors when he sends in your plates.

Offline Medicineball

• Survivor
« Reply #308 on: November 11, 2011, 06:10:38 PM »
Smith is spot-on. I think those tools in your car are far more of a liability than an asset, since you're far more likely to be in a spot like Smith describes than a SHTF situation.

Imagine trying to explain those tools to a cop who is already suspicious of you.

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #309 on: November 11, 2011, 07:17:52 PM »
Dude, if I pulled you over and you had these things I your car, you'd have some 'splainin to do
Personally, I would not be explaining anything. If there is probable cause that so-and-so is a suspect in a specific crime that is one thing, but mere possession of any kind of tool is not grounds for a fishing expedition.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #310 on: November 11, 2011, 07:31:45 PM »
Just make sure they are in a place where they can't be seen.  "Plain sight" won't apply.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #311 on: November 11, 2011, 07:56:39 PM »
Personally, I would not be explaining anything. If there is probable cause that so-and-so is a suspect in a specific crime that is one thing, but mere possession of any kind of tool is not grounds for a fishing expedition.
True. But if he gets stopped and arrested for whatever reason then the vehicle will be inventoried and towed. The tools will be found in the inventory search. So you could be skating on a fine line. Each states laws are different.

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #312 on: November 11, 2011, 10:50:28 PM »
Certainly some items might be illegal in some states - know the law. For example, an old law in Texas makes the possession of fence cutters illegal and as far as I know is still on the books. So if you have wire cutters or small bolt cutters keep them at home until the dirt actually starts flying.

As a general rule keep hardware in the trunk; heat will not affect them and they can stay in there indefinately. The superficial search incident to a traffic stop does not extend to the trunk; that was a U.S. Supreme Court ruling. Getting arrested for something else can not be foreseen, but is not something that anyone should allow to rule their life in my opinion.

Offline metatron

• Prepper
  • English guy
« Reply #313 on: November 13, 2011, 05:41:47 AM »
After having to use my BOB/GHB to get home (got a friend to drop my off about 60miles away, with no cash or cards) I ended up changing my BOB.

Yaesu VX6 with dry cell case
Solar charger
8 Sanyo Eneloop batteries (AA)
Single AA powered LED touch
Waterproof matches
Firesteel
Disposable lighter
Cottonwool 
Survival sack
Wiresaw
toothbrush and toothpaste
Ducttape 
Lock picks
Leatherman wave
Gerber eab
Stanley Blades
Brass wire
Small finishing kit
Small hot chocolate and coffee packets 
550 Paracord
Water purification tablets
Piece cloth
Piece of rubber inner-tube
All kept in a metal tin.

First aid kit
Water bottle
Large poncho
waterproof trousers
Clean wipes

I'm in the UK so, we don't really have a wilderness as such its all villages and urban.

Offline spooky-1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #314 on: November 13, 2011, 01:49:00 PM »
I actually sewed together a zippered case for them and on top of that they reside in a locked truck box, screwed to my bed. Unless you have the key, find the specfic zippered pouch (among all the other things in my bug out gear), and then open it, you'd never know these tools are there. I figure if a LEO had enuf on me to do all that I deserve whatever is coming to me!

Offline steeltownknight

• Survivor
  • Still Surviving
« Reply #315 on: November 14, 2011, 10:23:39 AM »
I'll post my whole BOB list soon.
 I will always however :
1. have water
2. and a way to filter/boil/clean/store  any water I find.
3. a portable shelter
4. weapon
5.Food

endurance

« Reply #316 on: November 14, 2011, 02:28:19 PM »
True. But if he gets stopped and arrested for whatever reason then the vehicle will be inventoried and towed. The tools will be found in the inventory search. So you could be skating on a fine line. Each states laws are different.
Context is everything for tools like this.  If a vehicle is searched and there's a bag containing a first aid kit, highway safety vest, hard hat, white/tan heavy leather gloves, eye protection, EMS credentials, and 'vehicle extrication tools,' no cop is even going to even give the tools a second look.  On the other hand, if it's in a bag with a black ski mask, thin black leather gloves, hooded sweatshirt, large commando knife, and is in the possession of a rather unsavory looking character, good luck with that.

I'm telling you, there's very little few things in the world that are as useful in an emergency as a $9.99 highway safety vest.  A vest, clipboard, hardhat and radio will give you access to just about anywhere on earth. ;)

Offline cranston

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #317 on: November 17, 2011, 08:02:53 AM »
Added compression shorts and a small bottle of baby powder.  Taking longer day hikes with the pack has revealed a tendancy to chafe, then get raw, then .....well, you can imagine.  By the second 7 mile day I'd be walking like Gabby Hayes.  'Nuff said.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #318 on: February 17, 2012, 01:27:54 AM »

I have alot of stuff in my car as it is, but I always think of the 5 C's that I think Dave Canterbury mentioned:

combustion devices, cutting tool, covering, container to boil water, cordage.

nelson96

« Reply #319 on: February 18, 2012, 02:20:48 PM »
This may sound simple and unimportant (which is why it often gets overlooked), but it takes up so little room and you'll be glad you have it.  I once went a week of hunting without and will never make that mistake again. . . .

I keep a good chapstick . . .  Chapped lips are so uncomfortable and only get worse if you have nothing to treat it with.   

Ointment/Gel & fingertip bandaids . . . .  When in a survival condition, even if you have gloves, you undoubtedly will get a small cut on your finger.  Even if you don't cut it, dry weather can cause your skin to split on its own.  With as many nerves as there are on the ends of your fingers this really affects you both physically and mentally.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #320 on: February 18, 2012, 02:24:20 PM »
I keep a good chapstick . . .  Chapped lips are so uncomfortable and only get worse if you have nothing to treat it with.

I actually don't have any on my BOB, but in my SAR pack I used to keep a tube with SPF-something in it, as my search dog would constantly get the top part of her nose burn :-\

Cedar

Offline digdug18

• Prepper
« Reply #321 on: February 29, 2012, 11:31:25 PM »
Added compression shorts and a small bottle of baby powder.  Taking longer day hikes with the pack has revealed a tendancy to chafe, then get raw, then .....well, you can imagine.  By the second 7 mile day I'd be walking like Gabby Hayes.  'Nuff said.

Yeah, you really didn't need to inform us that you get chafed.

nelson96

« Reply #322 on: March 01, 2012, 07:47:35 AM »
Yeah, you really didn't need to inform us that you get chafed.

Nothing worse than "baboon butt", but yeah, we didn't need to know about it.

Offline YoungGunsPrepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #323 on: March 06, 2012, 12:55:19 AM »
This is the list of gear I keep in my BOB that stays with me (well in my vehicle) at all times.

water proof match box with matches and striker
bottle of water purification tablets
zippo lighter
can of extra zippo fluid
2 extra zippo wicks
2 packs extra zippo flints
5 emergency waterpacks
10 small ziplock bags
bag of multi vitamins
50 ft of 550 paracord
100 rounds of .45 cal
1 tube of toothpaste
toothbrush
hand warmers
adjustable strap (in case I have to jimmy rig my bag)
emergency blanket
magnesium fire starter
P38 (Old GI style can opener)
utility knife
fighting knife
fishing/gutting knife
pair of boots
extra set of clothes (pants, long and short sleeve shirt)
shemag face wrap (forgive my bad spelling on that)
2 pairs boxes
2 pairs socks
4 MRE's (I field strip them to make them more easily packable)
lensatic compass
maps of local area and of bug out location with 3 planned routes
spotting scope
sterno cooking fuel
utensil set
pair of gloves
comb (works great to remove cactus from clothes or hands)
bar of soap
blood type tag
roll of 100 mph tape
swiss army knife
sharpening stone
surefire flashlight
30 extra batteries for flashlight (my light takes 2 batteries so I have enought to change them 15 times)
first aid kit
canteen ( change the water every week)
Para ordnance 1911 .45
5 10 round magazines
gerber multitool
weapon cleaning kit
box of 50 .308 ammo
tear down .308 single shot rifle with scope
cable saw
sewing kit
dental floss
set of cold weather gear
gator neck (military issued fleece to cover from your neck to nose)
belt
bottle of buproprian
bottle of naproxen
2 bottles anti biotics
fleece cap
paddle holster for 1911
mag holster
1 oz of silver in .2 oz bars
2 dollars face value worth of pre 1965 silver coins
$100 cash

I get all of this into a relatively small bag and as I learn more and more I swap some stuff out and look for ways to lighten my pack a bit.

Offline Mysphet

• Prepper
  • North Oregon Coast Prepper
« Reply #324 on: April 08, 2012, 12:58:04 AM »
Dog muzzles.

We have a couple small dogs. In certain instances they would make great alarms, but when you need them to be quiet, having the muzzles is essential. Dogs can be trained that muzzle time is quiet time.

Jake

« Reply #325 on: April 08, 2012, 12:43:09 PM »
Just added a Henry AR7 survival rifle.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #326 on: April 08, 2012, 01:18:34 PM »
I just brought down the bags that were in storage upstairs since I totaled my (old) truck in January. I went through them and decided I could get rid of a lot of the stuff in them. But then, I decided to just seperate them (re-assemble) and designate them in order of most - least needed, but useful stuff. (Just in case).

Once that is done, I will put them in the tool box in the back of my "new-to-me" truck. There are three bags plus a first aid bag, a fishing bag and another with fishing gear, and a duffle bag with a blanket and hat, gloves, and scarf.  I also have a table top grill. (Now, if I could only remember where I put the small bag of charcoal.  :o) It also contains my saw and pry bar.

I also need to bring down the stuff in the locker type tub which has a tent, sleeping bag and pillow.
Depending on weather, I will have a bag with a change of clothes, shoes or boots, extra coat, etc.

Now, I just have to clean out the toolbox. I bought it used for $50.oo.  ;D It is much deeper than the newer ones.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #327 on: April 08, 2012, 02:00:43 PM »
I like keeping a partial roll of fine-gauge electronics or silver solder wrapped around the ink cartridge of a standard bic pen. Just pop the end off, pull out the ink cartridge, wrap your solder tightly around it, and re-assemble the pen. Also works pretty well for small gauge wire, and even a nearly useful amount of electrical tape, though the exterior of the pen might be a better spot for longer pieces. as long as it wraps tightly enough to allow reassembly of the pen, you can put pretty much anything youw ant inside one. Working up a little sewing kit at the moment. I might post some pics later.

Offline Dollarbill

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #328 on: April 22, 2012, 08:55:18 AM »
Here is the GHB I made for my girlfriend. I have a similar one.

Black canvas bag
Telescoping Tire Iron
Reflective Triangle
Folding shovel/entrenching tool
Hoodie/sweater
Pair of socks
Half a roll toilet paper
First Aid Kit
2 Energy Bar
NOAA Radio (with SAME)
Notepad and Sharpie
Hand and foot warmers
12 hr chem-light
Mag flashlight (2
Magnetic Mount LED flashlight (with red strobe light)
Bandanna
Work gloves
Tools (adjustable wrench, plyers, screwdriver, hammer, tape)
Recovery strap with 2 D-rings
Rope (parcord)
Folding knife
Pill FOB - $15 (holds $40 cash)
Whistle/compass/thermometer
BIC Lighter

All of the items have been waterproofed or put in zip-lock bags

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #329 on: May 08, 2012, 05:18:44 PM »
Like most folks, my bag is a work in progress, depending on the time of year, my level of fitness, and what I've learned through field testing.  My goal is to have a bag I can hump for five to seven miles, arrive in good shape, and do it again the next day, and a third day.  For me, a 52 year old police sergeant in reasonably good shape, but living with dents and dings from a misspent youth in and out of uniform that amounts to 35 pounds or less.

If I can stay dry, fed, warm and injury free, plus be able to brew a decent cup of coffee, I can weather most hardship- so the things that allow me to do that and add as little as possible to my carry weight are what makes the cut. This week I'm weighing the nutritional benefits of MRE's with the amount of space they take up.  I'm also taking to care to make my daily off-duty wardrobe something where I don't need a total costume change to begin my "First day of the collapse" hike.  Good footwear (Merrill high tops in summer, Oakley combat boots in winter- a gift my son in law gave me on his return from Afghanistan, decent socks and clothing) leave room in my pack for dry smartwool socks and undies, and items for my other needs.

Two knives, one small and sharp (Mora blade) and one big and hefty (recon tanto), accompany the kershaw whirlwind that's always in my pocket.

I've also started thinking modular.  My EDC mini maxpedition cargo pocket pouch containing my blow out kit, extra 123 batteries, G2 light, space blanket and leatherman....

attaches to my shoulder bag, Maxpedition fatboy) containing extra magazines, meds, cash, and solar charger for my cell phone, energy bar and med kit. That goes on before I put on my....

three day bag- a no-name brand with a big fanny back that zips onto a ruck sack, containing food, water, army poncho, extra wound kit. a small .22 semi-auto with extra mags, pocket new testament, and some comfort items, including a airline sized bottle of bulliet kentucky bourbon for medicinal purposes of course.  I've recently added a swiss army volcano stove, which I can fill with small items, so it doesn't really add to weight or bulk.  Total weight (including some items I didn't list, a hair under 35#.
Cranston 's runs right alongside much of my thinking here.