Photobucket

Author Topic: What do you keep in your BOB (Bug Out Bag) & Why?  (Read 108235 times)

Offline dixieprepper

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: What do you keep in your BOB (Bug Out Bag) & Why?
« Reply #360 on: January 20, 2013, 09:31:25 PM »
I just set up my BOB.  I've been a country gal and a primitive camper my whole life, but it only recently occurred to me to get organized in case the world as we know it would end today.  So...here's what I've packed so far, and unless otherwise noted all food is homemade, dehydrated and vacuum sealed. 

5 cups trail mix
chicken vegetable soup mix (3 pouches) makes 4 cups each when added to water
3 (2 oz) pkgs beef jerky
10 granola fruit bars, high energy & fiber
8 pkgs welche's fruit snacks contain 100% RDA vitamin C
9 Wyler's powdered water bottle flavors
6 tea bags
3 hot choc mixes
mess kit including pan, plate, cup, bowl, spork
1 ltr stainless steel water bottle
water purification tablets
waterproof matches
magnesium and striker
6 votive candles
altoid tin of cotton balls soaked in vaseline
bic lighter
2 small led flashlights
1 small mag light
extra batteries for flashlights
1 pr jeans, 2 pr socks, 2 pr underwear, 1 short sleeved t shirt, 1 long sleeved t shirt, 1 hoodie, 2 bandanas, 1 sock hat, 2 pr cold weather gloves, 1 pr work gloves, 1 pair boots, small soap, small lotion, toothbrush, small toothpaste, floss, deoderant, hand towel, small pack baby wipes, chapstick.
10X10 tarp, sleeping bag, 50' propylene line, SAK type knife, machete, multi tool, duct tape, altoids tin fishing kit and altoids tin sewing kit, 5 gal. size zip lock bags, 3 qt size zip lock bags, 3 bottles water.

any suggestions are appreciated and welcome.  My idea was for the bag to get me a minimum of 3 days' worth of provisions, clothing, security and comfort.  I'm probably a little heavy on food but my husband hasn't found the bag he plans to use yet, so I'm carrying a little extra food for him. :-)  I know I need more water, and I'm working on getting a filter.  If I can bug out in my vehicle, I'll add a tent, more water and food, my cast iron skillet and my dutch oven, axe, maul, wedge, basic tools, 

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #361 on: January 22, 2013, 04:44:29 PM »
I just set up my BOB.
The one thing that stood out to me is no mention of a headlamp.  It just makes life so much easier to have both hands free when working in the dark.  Just food for thought.  There's also good AA flashlights that have a reversible clip on them that lets you clip them onto your hat brim.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline dixieprepper

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #362 on: January 22, 2013, 05:32:46 PM »
yes Endurance, I thought of that too.  Seems like they were everywhere before Christmas, and the couple of times I looked for them since they were chintzy, or they didn't have them.  I'll run across them in the next few days, hope I won't need them before I find them!  thanks for the good advice.  I was also thinking two way radios would be good to have when the handsome husband gets his bag packed, in case we get separated or have to go to plan b, which is a secondary location for us to meet up if we happen to be in different places when the SHTF.  Need to do some research on range, expense, etc before I make a purchase.  Any advice? I've also seen hand held CB radios, which seem to be more useful since I could make contact with other people or monitor channels to see where problems may be along our bugout route(s).

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #363 on: January 22, 2013, 06:38:40 PM »
yes Endurance, I thought of that too.  Seems like they were everywhere before Christmas, and the couple of times I looked for them since they were chintzy, or they didn't have them.  I'll run across them in the next few days, hope I won't need them before I find them!  thanks for the good advice.  I was also thinking two way radios would be good to have when the handsome husband gets his bag packed, in case we get separated or have to go to plan b, which is a secondary location for us to meet up if we happen to be in different places when the SHTF.  Need to do some research on range, expense, etc before I make a purchase.  Any advice? I've also seen hand held CB radios, which seem to be more useful since I could make contact with other people or monitor channels to see where problems may be along our bugout route(s).

Lowe and Home Depot around here have restocked their Headlamps since Christmas. They both have a wide range of solid headlamps.

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #364 on: January 22, 2013, 07:46:53 PM »
 I was also thinking two way radios would be good to have when the handsome husband gets his bag packed, in case we get separated or have to go to plan b, which is a secondary location for us to meet up if we happen to be in different places when the SHTF.  Need to do some research on range, expense, etc before I make a purchase.  Any advice? I've also seen hand held CB radios, which seem to be more useful since I could make contact with other people or monitor channels to see where problems may be along our bugout route(s).
There's an entire board oriented just toward communications:  http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?board=48.0 where you should be able to get all your questions answered.

I've used used GMRS, MURS, FRS, CB and SSB-CB.  I tend to think that anything handheld is going to be limited to line of sight to perhaps one half up to two miles at best.  A car mounted Single Side Band (SSB) CB will stretch that out to 15 miles pretty reliably and you can still use the regular CB channels for getting information from others within 5 miles.  MURS probably gives you the most privacy and most versatility, but still have a range of under 5 miles under ideal conditions, under two miles in real world conditions.

As for headlamps, I like one that dims so you can conserve batteries for up close activities, like reading, while still having adequate light for hiking and running.  IMHO, as dim as 2-3 lumens is adequate to read by and you can walk on pavement with 10 lumens and run on trails with about 25-30 lumens (although 40-50 lumens is preferred).  Brands that are generally reliable include Petzl, Princeton Tec, Black Diamond, and Fenix, although I have an Energizer that I keep in my glovebox that I've been quite happy with and was quite cheap, too.  I prefer wireless 3AAA models for a balance between weight and battery life.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline dixieprepper

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #365 on: January 22, 2013, 08:32:33 PM »
Exellent information on the radios and headlamps.  I've been assembling the items for my husband's BOB and I believe  he is beginning to think I could be right about a probable collapse of our financial system, infrastructure, or food system in this country.  I'll spend more time exploring the other boards to get more info.  Thanks again for taking time to read my post and offer advice.  :)

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #366 on: January 22, 2013, 09:27:21 PM »
The one thing that stood out to me is no mention of a headlamp.  It just makes life so much easier to have both hands free when working in the dark.  Just food for thought.  There's also good AA flashlights that have a reversible clip on them that lets you clip them onto your hat brim.

I too highly recommend a good headlamp.  But have you considered a real redneck light?  ;D  I use one to do chores this time a year since it's dark before and after work.

“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #367 on: January 22, 2013, 10:08:41 PM »
Exellent information on the radios and headlamps.  I've been assembling the items for my husband's BOB and I believe  he is beginning to think I could be right about a probable collapse of our financial system, infrastructure, or food system in this country.  I'll spend more time exploring the other boards to get more info.  Thanks again for taking time to read my post and offer advice.  :)
Well, welcome to the boards.  Drop on by the Intro thread and tell us a little about yourself(ves).

Offline North WI Thriver

• Prepper
  • Walking to Freedom from WI: Destination TBA.
« Reply #368 on: February 20, 2013, 09:28:33 AM »
This thread gives me a case of Bug out Bag envy. 
"Bend your knees.  Bow your head.  Pray for peace.  Rise again."  ~ Kalai from the song All Rise.

Offline EagleSteel

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Support Brigade Member
« Reply #369 on: February 25, 2013, 12:50:29 PM »
This thread gives me a case of Bug out Bag envy.

There's an easy fix for that! Start out by checking Jacks Power Point on Bug out Bags. Then check out survivalgearbags.com. I bought their Modern Survival Online Go Bag and added the following.

1. A second folding knife.
2. A Ka-Bar fighting knife for my fixed blade.
3. A compact hatchet
4. A Aurora Firestarter
5. A Canteen
6. A water filter
7. Compact binoculars
8. REM's
9. Extra survival blankets.
10. Flashlight
11. Extra glow sticks
12. Spare socks

Things I still need. ( The bag has plenty of room for this)
1. A topigraphical map of my bugout area (15 mile radious)
2. Canvous tarp
3. Radio

If you can't do it all at once just start with the Bag itself and add to it when you can. Also check out places like ebay for items. You can find some good deals there but before you bid check out retail sights online. Sometimes on ebay you'll pay more if you're not careful.
"Crocodiles: They eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."
Archer

Quote from: Bonnieblue2A on 4/8/2014 at 02:50:14 AM
"I'm sure the founding fathers never envisioned children having access to high capacity, mechanical pencils with no. 2 lead."

Offline Mocowgirl

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #370 on: February 27, 2013, 09:43:02 AM »
I've really enjoyed reading these posts. There are some great lists and opinions of such. It goes to show how survival can be a very personal thing. One person feels that item A is essential to what they carry and another person feels that item A is a luxery or even unneeded. I read the list and think well why do you need that? Then i read a critique, and think, well maybe the person they are critiqueing has a specific use for that item. Either wayI dont think survival or bobs are something that can be textbook.  Sure there are certain absolute musts, but how we accomplish those is a personal matter that hinges on whatever environment we are in and what skills we do or don't have. So having said that
God made you awesome.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #371 on: February 27, 2013, 10:18:41 AM »
Exactly Mocowgirl!    That is also why I like the "Modular" systems.   Have a main bag or bags, with either pounces or zip lock bags or whatever with different kit for different situations and times of the year.  You can completely reconfigure a bag in a few seconds for any situation. 
Docwatmo

Father of 3 wonderfull little men, and lucky husband to an amazing woman. 
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne
"Don't prepare for everything, prepare for anything." Doc 
"Gods Speed, Jenkins, Gods Speed" - Nafterize

Mark II, Mod 3, gas operated, self lubricating Inflatable Goat type 1
Ever watchful for the deadly Blue Winged Pecker Snapple
http://averageguyreviews.wordpress.com

Offline Mocowgirl

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #372 on: February 28, 2013, 09:04:34 AM »
Exactly Mocowgirl!    That is also why I like the "Modular" systems.   Have a main bag or bags, with either pounces or zip lock bags or whatever with different kit for different situations and times of the year.  You can completely reconfigure a bag in a few seconds for any situation.

I also use a modular system with my bags. Although Im almost certain that my interchangible "packs are fairly unique...lol as i use the folding travel bags with the many pockets .   I find them to be usefull in my case as it keeps small items and kits organized and easy to get to.Not to mention that i can easily switch them from my bob to my saddle/cantle bags when I take a horse out for a ride. Along with my bob I also keep a larger emergency kit in my vehicle that i can take from or trade out with my bob. I wont go through every little thing i keep in my bob but here is a basic list
tube tent
Tarp
Lrg space blanket
Lrg rain poncho
hatchet
Paracord
Folding exacto blade w extra blades
Headlamp
Sm solar flashlight
sm led flashlight
Fire tin- w/ char cloth, non dairy creamer, hand sanitizer, homemade firestarters, mag bar, flint n' steel, and a few waterproof matches. Overkill? Maybe, but I'm comfortable with it.
first aid kit w/ but not limited to, vet wrap, sutures and needles, thermometer,  tweezers, and the basics.
sunscreen
bug repelant
Reflective tape
Extra phone battery ( charged)
Solar charger
Powerbars
waterbottle w/ filter
Small home packed dry soup packs
Individual packets of instant coffee

Individual packets powdered drink w/ vitamin c
Hard candy...usually mints or cinnamon jolly ranchers and throat losenges..
Small mess kit
God made you awesome.

Offline Roamer

• Prepper
    • Homesteading in Zone 9
« Reply #373 on: March 30, 2013, 08:08:25 AM »
There's an easy fix for that! Start out by checking Jacks Power Point on Bug out Bags. Then check out survivalgearbags.com. I bought their Modern Survival Online Go Bag and added the following.

Where do I find Jack's Power Point on Bug Out Bags?

Offline doublehelix

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #374 on: March 30, 2013, 12:34:27 PM »
I've been pretty happy with my newest addition to the EDC.

"Trick" birthday candles.  The kind with a little bit of magnesium dust in the wick that re-light if you blow them out (or the wind blows them out).

http://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/science-questions/question420.htm

As for headlamps, I like the FoxFury LED line.
They even have a line for hunters that doesn't destroy your night vision.
http://www.foxfury.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=158

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 12:43:58 PM by doublehelix »

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in zone 5a.
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #375 on: March 30, 2013, 06:47:27 PM »
"Don't be afraid, just be informed"
"If you live your life around what your neighbors think, you'll do nothing except mow your lawn." -Steven Harris Ep726

Offline steeltownknight

• Survivor
« Reply #376 on: March 31, 2013, 09:27:22 AM »
I have a large coleman MAX backpack as my B.O.B.  I don't mind changing the contents every season. gives me a chance to test/replace anything.
I see really good ideas in other posts.  It's starting to warm up here (finaly)
So I have removed most of my winter gear.   (I have a ton of winter items at my B.O.L)
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” Charles Darwin

I support Canadian and American Troops ! My government does NOT speak for me. -       - steeltownknight

Offline DesertCoyote

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #377 on: April 10, 2013, 09:58:01 PM »
I'm loving all the info I'm getting from some of the posts on here, as me and my wife our getting our BoB's ready. I've got a question though: Those of you that keep one in your vehicles, do you keep a gun and ammunition with it? Or would you advise against that?

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #378 on: April 11, 2013, 11:04:40 AM »
I'm loving all the info I'm getting from some of the posts on here, as me and my wife our getting our BoB's ready. I've got a question though: Those of you that keep one in your vehicles, do you keep a gun and ammunition with it? Or would you advise against that?

I generally advise against it. My reasoning is thus:

My car kit falls more into the Get  Home Bag category, a 24-hour-or-less minimalist kit designed to provide enough support to get home from work, errands or play.  In any of these cases, I will have at least one handgun with me (usually two) and on my person.  I don't see much of a need for a long-gun in such a short-term scenario as it generally takes a bit of time for a non-permissive environment to be created.

About the only types of scenarios that I can foresee requiring long-guns is one where the air is filled with bulgogi-eating foreign invaders (please note, I am being culturally sensitive in order to not offend our Chinese Overlords) or, perhaps, a massive zombie outbreak (wherein a sword would probably be a wiser selection of sidearm).  Neither of these are scenarios I consider highly probable.

Your situation may be significantly different.  In my case, I am in a urban/suburban environment 95% of the time.  My general daily wanderings take me less than 25 miles from home.  As a rule, I drive a less-than-criminally-desirable vehicle (a 10-year-old 4x4) as a daily driver.

If you travel farther or are in a more wilderness-oriented environment, then you may wish to consider stashing a rifle or shotgun in the vehicle.  If you don't carry a concealed weapon, then I suggest you get a permit and do so, if permissible in your area (I will forego my usual recommendations to do so, anyway).

If you want to carry a full Bug Out Bag in your car, then I might suggest that you consider the realistic scenarios you are facing and think hard about going home, first, before you head to the hills.  The real scenarios faced by the average person seldom has them heading for the hills for an extended period of time with little or no notice.

Even the most common scenario, which is often overlooked by preppers as being too. . .mundane, of a house fire, doesn't have you hiding in the backwoods, foraging for food and shelter for any length of time.  Other, similarly realistic incidents involving overturned trains or trucks carrying dangerous chemicals, tornadoes, etc., don't necessitate going heavily armed to survive the event.

So, I'd say to have the option, but keep it at home.  Having some idiot bash in your rear window and walking away with your kits and a firearm just because he needs to pawn something for a fix, is no fun.

Just some thoughts.

The Professor

On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline DesertCoyote

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #379 on: April 11, 2013, 11:55:56 AM »
I generally advise against it. My reasoning is thus:

My car kit falls more into the Get  Home Bag category, a 24-hour-or-less minimalist kit designed to provide enough support to get home from work, errands or play.  In any of these cases, I will have at least one handgun with me (usually two) and on my person.  I don't see much of a need for a long-gun in such a short-term scenario as it generally takes a bit of time for a non-permissive environment to be created.

About the only types of scenarios that I can foresee requiring long-guns is one where the air is filled with bulgogi-eating foreign invaders (please note, I am being culturally sensitive in order to not offend our Chinese Overlords) or, perhaps, a massive zombie outbreak (wherein a sword would probably be a wiser selection of sidearm).  Neither of these are scenarios I consider highly probable.

Your situation may be significantly different.  In my case, I am in a urban/suburban environment 95% of the time.  My general daily wanderings take me less than 25 miles from home.  As a rule, I drive a less-than-criminally-desirable vehicle (a 10-year-old 4x4) as a daily driver.

If you travel farther or are in a more wilderness-oriented environment, then you may wish to consider stashing a rifle or shotgun in the vehicle.  If you don't carry a concealed weapon, then I suggest you get a permit and do so, if permissible in your area (I will forego my usual recommendations to do so, anyway).

If you want to carry a full Bug Out Bag in your car, then I might suggest that you consider the realistic scenarios you are facing and think hard about going home, first, before you head to the hills.  The real scenarios faced by the average person seldom has them heading for the hills for an extended period of time with little or no notice.

Even the most common scenario, which is often overlooked by preppers as being too. . .mundane, of a house fire, doesn't have you hiding in the backwoods, foraging for food and shelter for any length of time.  Other, similarly realistic incidents involving overturned trains or trucks carrying dangerous chemicals, tornadoes, etc., don't necessitate going heavily armed to survive the event.

So, I'd say to have the option, but keep it at home.  Having some idiot bash in your rear window and walking away with your kits and a firearm just because he needs to pawn something for a fix, is no fun.

Just some thoughts.

The Professor

Excellent points. Thanks for the input!

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in zone 5a.
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #380 on: April 11, 2013, 11:58:42 AM »

Personally don't have in my car BOB.  As the Professor said, too risky of being stolen. Maybe pepper spray.

If you really don't want (or can't) "carry it on you" and still feel the need to have it in your car , then I would suggest installing a lockable safe in your car.
"Don't be afraid, just be informed"
"If you live your life around what your neighbors think, you'll do nothing except mow your lawn." -Steven Harris Ep726

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #381 on: April 11, 2013, 12:07:51 PM »
Personally don't have in my car BOB.  As the Professor said, too risky of being stolen. Maybe pepper spray.

If you really don't want (or can't) "carry it on you" and still feel the need to have it in your car , then I would suggest installing a lockable safe in your car.
And I'd add another layer to that.  Look at Goatdog's 505 project if you want to see an amazing job of building concealed spaces in a car that are perfect for putting a safe into.  Using factor or factory-like carpet and masonite framing around a small in-car safe makes your gun a whole lot safer than just a locked glove box or stashed under the seat.

Offline PrepperJim

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
    • Winter Ant
« Reply #382 on: April 11, 2013, 02:51:47 PM »

I drive a hatchback and have a locked trunk cabled to the car. It would take a little more time to take my bugout bag. I would rather risk theft than not have it.

The only time I leave a gun in the car is when I am at work. I have a separate car safe for that. Otherwise, my gun goes inside at night. I do keep extra ammo in the car just in case I need to walk home. I've contemplated keeping my 10/22 there as well, but space is limited and I don't want it stolen.

Another thing: I put a can of pepper spray in my bugout bag during the summer of 2011 when it was over 100F for 90 straight days in Houston. The can leaked and I ended up having to decontaminate my entire GHB. It was not too bad because it was in a separate pocket, but I ended up throwing out a first aid kit that was in the same pocket and washing other stuff.

One last thing. I also keep a foldable cart in my car. I really don't think I can carry my bag and other stuff 35 miles to home. I know it will look weird, but I am strapping that sucker to the cart and walking home if I need to.
Member Support Brigade since 3/19/2011
Blog: http://www.winterant.com

“Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it.”

? Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #383 on: April 11, 2013, 03:13:51 PM »
It seems there's a lot of mention of pepper spray. This is what I was told by my son who has been in law enforcement for a long time.

Do not "test fire" it. It will leak from then on and it will get on you.

If you use it on someone, it will get on you and may affect your ability to fight, run, or see.

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #384 on: April 11, 2013, 04:51:36 PM »
It seems there's a lot of mention of pepper spray. This is what I was told by my son who has been in law enforcement for a long time.

Do not "test fire" it. It will leak from then on and it will get on you.

If you use it on someone, it will get on you and may affect your ability to fight, run, or see.

When I was a cop, we all had to get sprayed with the stuff before we could carry it.  It sucks bad, especially the first time, when you think you are going to die.  Once you've been hit and you realize you'll survive and 'this too shall pass', it's a lot easier to deal with the secondary spray that you might get due to high winds, etc. 

Probably one of the most important things to realize with the stuff is that it takes out your vision first, your breathing next, and your will to fight last.  If you move so they can't get their hands on you, you are 100% better off.  Otherwise, they have about 30-45 seconds where they're still getting enough air and still have quite a bit of fight in them and they might be able to grapple with you and put you in serious risk of harm.  After that, they'll just want the experience to stop, but by then, you might be stabbed, have your head rammed into a concrete curb or in some other way, have a bad day.  Spray and move, spray and move, spray and move until the fight is out of them and you can flee and they can't pursue.

Offline mithgar50

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: What do you keep in your BOB (Bug Out Bag)
« Reply #385 on: April 15, 2013, 06:48:05 PM »
First off I just wanna say how against bugging out I am. History shows us that refugees are preyed upon and entirely too vulnerable. I do believe in evacuation from hurricanes and the like, but hunkering down at home to me has always been the sane thing to do.

As someone who doesn't really have anywhere to bug out to I am glad you addressed this.  I live in an apartment and don't have any family in the area and have not found any friends who are preppers yet.  Due to this I am trying to figure out how to make things work staying here at the apartment for now.  After I have this done I will consider other options but for now focusing on what I have available and I have not seen many posts to help me with this scenario.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
Re: What do you keep in your BOB (Bug Out Bag)
« Reply #386 on: April 23, 2013, 12:18:33 PM »
[As someone who doesn't really have anywhere to bug out to I am glad you addressed this.  I live in an apartment and don't have any family in the area and have not found any friends who are preppers yet.  Due to this I am trying to figure out how to make things work staying here at the apartment for now.  After I have this done I will consider other options but for now focusing on what I have available and I have not seen many posts to help me with this scenario.

Check these threads out. I hope they help.

Protecting an apartment

Prepping In An Apartment With Limited Space

Apartment Dwellers - Learn from my emergency (story inside)

Roswell
"Be Prepared" - The Boy Scout motto
Please Come By My Website - MakingAHomestead.com

Offline Evil kilt

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #387 on: April 25, 2013, 06:04:37 PM »

this is my bush craft gear ,I use an old army webbing set I have it set to last me for 36 hours at a push
the reason why I'm putting it up here in the bug out bag thread is its the gear i grab that i know what is in it and how to use it when i have to .I keep it on stand by and where my family can get to it it has a good first aid kit as well as a few other bits that are always useful

here is the contents it has a full 24hrs ration pack gas stove ,saw,knives,sleeping bag ,bivi bag ,basha ,bungee cords ,a candle,lighters and a few other things

Offline Cyndy O

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #388 on: June 13, 2013, 04:46:23 PM »
Howdy yall :)  I'm new on the site and thought I had a pretty good start on my bag, but now I see there are 2 separate bags and I'm no where near what I should be and will have to buy some more of what I already have for both bags plus one of some things to keep at home where they are supposed to be lol.    There are a lot of great things on these lists so I will be doin a lot more apparently lol. 

One thing I have that a very good prepper friend of mine didn't think of is baby wipes (for 2 different kinds of hygiene).  I get the ones with Aloe in them.  Water wont always be available for washing, so why not have those and save what water there is for cooking etc.
My 2 cents as a newbie lol

Cyndy

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #389 on: June 13, 2013, 05:33:16 PM »
Welcome to the TSP Forum, Cyndy O. Stop by the Front Porch and introduce yourself.  :)

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=89.0