Author Topic: What do you keep in your BOB (Bug Out Bag) & Why?  (Read 248409 times)

Offline bcksknr

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Child of the Cold War
Re: What do you keep in your BOB (Bug Out Bag) & Why?
« Reply #510 on: January 17, 2017, 11:11:59 AM »
     I just finished up a "survival" hiking staff. This is a project that I wanted to do for some time. At one location on the staff, I wanted to wrap some cordage on before I did a final paracord wrap over that area. Since I had also been making candles at the time, I put on a couple of yards of beeswax soaked wicking. I then put on a layer of a thin, braided nylon cord, followed by a top over wrap of paracord. The beeswax wick is flexible and wraps well, being slightly "sticky". It would make a good tinder for firestarting, being waterproof. It also is another type of useful cordage, and it could be used as a wick for a tallow or grease lamp.
     I think it's useful enough that I'm going to wax pieces a yard long, roll them up and include one in each of my kits.
Today was yesterday's tomorrow.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #511 on: January 17, 2017, 11:15:20 AM »
     I just finished up a "survival" hiking staff. This is a project that I wanted to do for some time. At one location on the staff, I wanted to wrap some cordage on before I did a final paracord wrap over that area. Since I had also been making candles at the time, I put on a couple of yards of beeswax soaked wicking. I then put on a layer of a thin, braided nylon cord, followed by a top over wrap of paracord. The beeswax wick is flexible and wraps well, being slightly "sticky". It would make a good tinder for firestarting, being waterproof. It also is another type of useful cordage, and it could be used as a wick for a tallow or grease lamp.
     I think it's useful enough that I'm going to wax pieces a yard long, roll them up and include one in each of my kits.

How about waxed dental floss? I have used this for many needs.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline bcksknr

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #512 on: January 17, 2017, 11:53:29 AM »
     Carl, I'm not sure about waxed dental floss as a wick. I think its a nylon or synthetic material. The much thicker all cotton wick that I have "wicks" the liquid wax, tallow, grease or whatever so that it vaporizes and then burns. I think dental floss would just melt and not act as a candle wick. You are right though, dental floss is lightweight and strong. I'll have to try some in a candle and maybe Crisco and see if it will act as a candle.

Offline bcksknr

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #513 on: January 17, 2017, 11:59:06 AM »
     I wanted to add that I have a finger nail clipper, with a nail file/cleaner blade, in each of my kits. Aside from the obvious use of keeping nails short, they are great for cutting line or cordage; eliminating slipping with a knife when cutting fishing line or paracord. There's nothing as frustrating as a split nail catching on things or a "hangnail" and a knife just isn't the answer.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #514 on: January 17, 2017, 04:31:21 PM »
     I wanted to add that I have a finger nail clipper, with a nail file/cleaner blade, in each of my kits. Aside from the obvious use of keeping nails short, they are great for cutting line or cordage; eliminating slipping with a knife when cutting fishing line or paracord. There's nothing as frustrating as a split nail catching on things or a "hangnail" and a knife just isn't the answer.

TSA says it can bring down an aircraft...in the right hands. Use with caution.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline tkeetch

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #515 on: March 30, 2017, 11:57:08 AM »
It took me 3 afternoons, but I actually read through the last 18 pages of this thread and I found some great ideas.

As I stated in my intro thread, I'm a SAHM of almost 4 kids (due in August) and the last thing I want to do is to "bug out" to the Rocky Mountains with only supplies on my back. The kids hate half of my home-cooked meals.. why would I want to listen to them complain about dehydrated backpacking food AND being cold AND sleeping under a tarp AND...  ::)

I digress. I have a backpack GHB/Mini Emergency Rescue Bag stored in my car to get us home, where we could meet up with my husband and decide to hunker down or go. Plus, 90% of the time I'm within 15 minutes drive of my home, and the rare exceptions are trips to the zoo - maybe 35 miles away? Other then that, I'm either home or we are out together as a family anyway.

I live in the Mountain West, and aside from the more common small threats to our home or immediate area (I do live very close to a freeway, so overturned trucks could pose an issue), is an earthquake. I've done some research and if it is the size they predict, roadways will be completely unusable except for off roading. I'm not even sure if I could use a jogging stroller, but it might be my best bet. It is proposed that several dams will break when our "big one" hits and the valley will flood. But I live in an interesting spot - fairly close to a freeway that is much lower than me. I'm assuming the water will fill that portion of the freeway and our home will stay dry. (Would I be able to count that as a good source of treatable water??)

Here's what I've got in my car bag now. I've been grateful for it on numerous occasions when the kids needed a change of clothing because of a potty accident, or we were caught in a sudden rainstorm and I pulled out the ponchos, etc. But any tips are greatly appreciated because realistically, I have no idea how I would carry this heavy bag AND encourage/carry/drag the kids home as well. Not to mention carry the baby when he gets here. I imagine a walk home from the zoo would take our group a few days! (Haha..)

NUTRITION
Foldable plate, bowl and cup (similar to this http://www.backcountrygear.com/fozzils-solo-pack.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw2fLGBRDopP-vg7PLgvsBEiQAUOnIXJ-QYIqJzrbQtfK_vNiVPvCScY5cjDGUhmc9iviuPK8aAuUO8P8HAQ. I love using the plate as a cutting board when we go on picnics at the park, and I figure it will be useful for dividing/prepping the snacks on one of our many rest stops)
Utensils (light my fire minis for everyone)
GI can opener (Honestly don't know why I included this. I don't have any canned goods packed, but maybe we could find some?)
3 SOS Food Bars (3600)
3 Millenium food bars
3 quart ziplocks with 12-14 snacks each (pb crackers, tuna pouches & ritz, raisins, trail mix packets, granola bars, stretch island fruit leathers, gum, apple sauce pouches, kool aid mini mix packets, etc)
Sawyer mini water filter
2 oz container/dropper with bleach
27 oz single wall, stainless steel water bottle (to store water, or put close to fire and boil water if absolutely needed).

CLOTHING/SHELTER
sweatshirt and sweat pants for each child and myself
1 change of underwear per person
2 pairs of wool socks for me, 1 for each kid
warm hat/person
gloves/person
rain poncho/per person
2 mylar sleeping bags
3 mylar blankets
10-12 hand warmers
2 emergency tube tents (the bright orange ones  :-\)

FIRST AID KIT - https://www.rei.com/product/784495/adventure-medical-kits-womens-outdoor-first-aid-kit
I also stuffed in the following:
mini vicks vaporub tin
more tylenol 500s
children's liquid tylenol
children's benedryl
nuskin
teething tablets
forehead thermometer
extra kid-character bandaids
biofreeze pouches
1 instant ice pack
aquaphor (diaper rash, chapstick, etc.)
duct tape around a credit card (to prevent blisters + a billion other things)

HYGEINE BAG
washcloth
wet ones
shampoo/conditioner
johnsons/johnsons head to toe tear free soap
hand sanitizer
chapstick
deodorant
toothpaste
tooth brush
cotton swabs
travel comb/brush combo
kleenex
small finger nail clippers
compact mirror
sunscreen
feminine products

(Although I love having many of these things in the car for day-to-day things that come up, I'm thinking I will keep them in the front of the car and have a smaller bag in the emergency kit with just the basics - all purpose soap, sunscreen, feminine hygiene, and hand sanitizer)

TOOLS/SUPPLIES
toilet paper
handy saks (plastic bags)
flint and steel (ha, told my husband that I need to actually start a fire with it this summer)
2 bic lighters
whistle / compass /waterproof match container with matches
ziplock of fire starters (made by dipping/coating cotton make up remover rounds into my Sentsy Candle Warmer after the scent has worn off. Waterproof until you rip them a little to expose the cotton fibers before lighting. They burn for like 5 minutes!)
a very small flashlight for each kid (entertainment? comfort?)
2 headlamps with extra batteries
permanent marker
$100 cash - small bills, plus whatever change is in the car..
multi tool from emergency essentials
little bigger single folding knife

ENTERTAINMENT/COMFORT
tiny scriptures
sudoku
tiny bubble container (from a wedding send-off)
Yahtzee assembled into the little white containers that travel first aid kits come in
chalk
pen & small notebook
a travel game that we got as part of a kids' meal
3 hotwheel cars
mini 4"x4" versions of my kids' blankets for the younger ones

I also keep a case of mini water bottles in the car, and a basic camelbak for each of us so we could fill them up and the kids can at least carry their own water. The downside is they will probably drink it faster than they should just because of easy access.

Plus, after August I'll need to add in diapers, wipes, and a few other baby related items. Also thinking about purchasing an emergency childbirth kit just in case. (I deliver at home with a midwife, so at least I have better-than-most experience in that area as long as there are no complications).

No idea what to do about protection/defense. And I'm probably a target with a bunch of kids and a big backpack of supplies, aren't I?
Nor communication. I do have a couple 2 way walkie-talkies, but I think they have a 2 mile range. Not really helpful to get ahold of my husband if I'm further than that.

Thoughts? What am I missing? What can I ditch?? TIA
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 12:19:01 PM by tkeetch »

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #516 on: March 30, 2017, 12:37:38 PM »
Rubber gloves make roadside cleanups easier and I would say that you have a good plan so communications is not of great importance often as you KNOW what the plan is and where each other should be an at home dry erase board with trip itinerary posted and a preplanned out of area phone to leave info in event of localized emergency should have you in pretty good shape . Your 'bag' is well sorted and should cover most events..

Pepper spray might be a good addition as no permanent harm should a child find it and a full size,well constructed umbrella is good for dog defence and can get pretty stabby when needed.Welcome to the group.

Offline bcksknr

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #517 on: April 01, 2017, 06:50:15 PM »
     I'd be concerned about using flood water as a drinking source, even if you treated it or filtered it. While filtration with a particulate filter (like a coffee filter) and then running it through a quality water filter unit will take out the "chunks" and the bacteria, viruses, spores, etc., you still have to consider chemical contamination. In floodwaters, who knows what farm chemicals, oils, pesticides, gasoline, diesel fuel or whatever has mixed in. A biological filter will do nothing to remove these. I think an adequate activated charcoal filter might do the job, but you are getting pretty technical. Children have a much smaller resistance to damage from chemical contamination. I wouldn't chance it.
     After a flood, assume everything you come into contact with has been contaminated with fecal material, either from farms or human treatment systems. A gallon of fresh bleach (or more, if your staying in) will be needed to wipe down everything the kids come into contact with. Four kids and possibly you too, with severe diarrhea isn't an option. You will go through much more water than you might think, store as much as you can.
     As to self defense, if you aren't comfortable with a firearm (and I understand that herding four kids and trying to be "gun safe" could be a bit much), pepper spray is probably your best option; even if used against you, you'll live. I wouldn't count on the good intentions of strangers (and I'm as sceptical as anyone), but if you are rural, chances are people will all be in the same boat; it's not like you're living in Mogadishu. Smile, keep your distance and have that pepper spray in your hand until you are completely at ease with the situation.
     One other thought. I'm a big fan of Polarfleece. It's soft and warm, will keep you warm when damp and has that "comfy" feeling. Mylar space blankets are great for many situations, but they are somewhat fragile, slippery and noisy. I thing a reasonably sized Polarfleece "woobie" would keep the kids happier. If that's not warm enough put the space blanket over them too. Just remember, mylar blanket sheets don't breathe. It's great that they are waterproof, but your bodies water vapor will condense on the inside (much like a plastic raincoat on a hot day). You need to keep your insulation as dry as possible. In fact, in severe cold weather the method of use is to wrap up in the space blanket and then get into your sleeping bag or fabric insulating layer. You will get damp (but very warm) while the space blanket keeps your fabric insulation dry. It's called a vapor barrier and can be a lifesaver. If your feet get cold, even in "Pac-Boots) try putting on plastic bags before your socks, then the boots, Your socks will stay dry and your feet will feel damp, but will be deliciously warm. Just remember to periodically dry your feet thoroughly at intervals.[size=78%] [/size]

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #518 on: April 02, 2017, 01:11:49 AM »
Tkeetch;

Jogging strollers are amazing. They are more off road capable than you know. That is also how you can move the weight of your pack. Make sure you can break your pack into a subload or two. Some stays on your back, other bits on or in the stroller. Little cheapo kids backpacks are useful also, games, chapstick and other sundries are off your back and it isn't much for them but every bit helps you. Also, don't be afraid to just not take a bunch of stuff if you don't think you will need it. Just leave it in the trunk. If you are trying to leg it home 10 miles in high summer perhaps leaving some winter gear is a worthy risk for instance.

I would recommend a little bit of trauma medical gear. Tourniquet, field dressing, an Israeli dressing perhaps. The chances of traumatic injury in a major earthquake makes it prudent.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

"Is it dangerous to enter the Forum?"
-Seneca

Offline Hishossithe

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #519 on: April 11, 2017, 06:27:38 AM »
This has always been a great topic on other forums so let's do it here.  Post your BOB inventories and let's all learn from each other.

Here is my list,

shelter
8'x10'Siltarp
Footprint for my 2-man tent
(The tent is in the truck.  If I have to hoof it, I may leave the tent behind)
Grommet kit
Tent repair kit

tools
Folding shovel (on a belt)
Folding bow saw
Gerber folding saw (like a pruning saw)
Leatherman with pliers, screwdrivers, etc
Leatherman with needlenose, knives, etc
Little Stanley kit with ratchet that uses screwdriver tips
SAK (Swiss Army Knife)

fire starting/cooking
I know Rick has stuff, but here's what I pack:
Matches in waterproof carriers (3 different ones)
Flint & steel - couple different ones
Magnesium fire starter
Bic lighter
Refillable butane lighter
Cotton balls soaked with vaseline
Tommy stove and about 20 fuel tabs

food gathering
snare wire
backpack fishing rod/reel
small fishing kit packed in a .410 shell
Breakdown .308 rifle with 16.25" barrel
20 rounds of ammo for .308
1911 with 3 8 round mags +1 in the spout
.22 conversion kit for 1911
100 rounds .22 ammo

So what do you guys keep or as Jack would say  ;), what do ya'll keep in your BOB?
Well yeah, its a pretty good list of stuff you may need, but the most interesting thing is when you have to do it fast, grab the most important and go!

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #520 on: August 09, 2017, 10:20:50 PM »
This is not so much IN the BoB as what the BoB is (briefly) hanging from: a digital luggage scale.

I picked one up at Wally-World this evening for a big $7.  It's a lot like this one, but American Tourister brand.  It reads up to 88 lbs and has two decimal places in the the readout; one would've been plenty, but as long as it can get down to a 1/10 of a pound or an ounce, that's plenty of accuracy.

There was also a spring mechanical scale, but it was maybe good to the 1/2 pound.  That's plenty of precision for the entire pack or the bigger items, but not good enough for shaving the weight on smaller things.  A lot better than nothing, but for the same price the digital one is the one to get.

So... walking around the house weighing assorted items... medium ALICE pack w/frame is 7 lbs.  The good hiking pack is only 4 lbs (but holds about twice as much the ALICE).  Two-man tent.. 6.5 lbs. – not bad!  And the BoB... the BoB is 22.2 lbs. which is lighter than I would've guessed.

It's important to know these weights in order to keep the weight trimmed down and under control.  The BoB needs re-packing soon anyway, and I'll be weighting and judging things item-by-item when it gets done.  It's an interesting tool with a lot of practical impact.  Should have picked one up years ago.  $7, cheap.

I swear, there are times it seems like "Baofeng" is Cantonese for "hot mess."

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #521 on: August 10, 2017, 09:30:30 AM »
This is not so much IN the BoB as what the BoB is (briefly) hanging from: a digital luggage scale.

I picked one up at Wally-World this evening for a big $7.  It's a lot like this one, but American Tourister brand.  It reads up to 88 lbs and has two decimal places in the the readout; one would've been plenty, but as long as it can get down to a 1/10 of a pound or an ounce, that's plenty of accuracy.

There was also a spring mechanical scale, but it was maybe good to the 1/2 pound.  That's plenty of precision for the entire pack or the bigger items, but not good enough for shaving the weight on smaller things.  A lot better than nothing, but for the same price the digital one is the one to get.

So... walking around the house weighing assorted items... medium ALICE pack w/frame is 7 lbs.  The good hiking pack is only 4 lbs (but holds about twice as much the ALICE).  Two-man tent.. 6.5 lbs. – not bad!  And the BoB... the BoB is 22.2 lbs. which is lighter than I would've guessed.

It's important to know these weights in order to keep the weight trimmed down and under control.  The BoB needs re-packing soon anyway, and I'll be weighting and judging things item-by-item when it gets done.  It's an interesting tool with a lot of practical impact.  Should have picked one up years ago.  $7, cheap.

As a bonus, you can measure the trigger pull weight of all your bug out weapons.  You know, so you have something to do while hiding in the woods ;)

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #522 on: August 10, 2017, 06:39:52 PM »
 ::
I'll try to make sure the chamber's empty.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #523 on: August 10, 2017, 07:36:31 PM »
::
I'll try to make sure the chamber's empty.
What happened to the roll eyes emoticon?   ::)
OK, that's better.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #524 on: August 11, 2017, 03:30:14 AM »
What happened to the roll eyes emoticon?   ::)
OK, that's better.

The first one was probably too heavy...did you weight it?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #525 on: August 12, 2017, 07:53:03 PM »
First-aid item:  moleskin.  Any semi-experience hiker brings that and spare socks along.  Not as sexy as a firearm or geiger counter, but if you can't comfortably walk, you're not bugging out too far.

Offline TheLastBoyscout

• Prepper
  • When you stop learning its time to hang it up.
« Reply #526 on: September 25, 2017, 05:06:31 AM »
Good items Smurf Hunter.  Staying healthy is important as well.
Improvise, Adapt, Modify, and Overcome