Author Topic: Ready for small game season?  (Read 2493 times)

Offline Huntinbull

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member. MOLON LABE
Ready for small game season?
« on: August 25, 2011, 10:08:21 AM »
Squirrel and dove season both open here in NE Ohio on Sept. 1st. I am about as ready as I can be. Excited for sure.

Anyone else getting anxious?

Offline cliffyp

• Survivor
Re: Ready for small game season?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 08:22:11 PM »
Oh ya. I'm ready for South Texas white winged dove season. Should be a good one, I see them everywhere.

Offline Huntinbull

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member. MOLON LABE
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 06:36:08 AM »
Cleaning the guns this am. One final zero check before tomorrow morning. anticipation builds.

Offline monger20

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 10:03:37 AM »
So excited I can hardly concentrate! Have a case of dove loads & heading to Rocky Ford CO in two hours. Dove hunting is the best way to kick off the hunting season & do some therapeutic venting.

Happy Hunting

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 08:19:34 PM »
WV has an early deer archery season this year that starts in a couple weeks.

Offline The Sage of Monticello

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 12:21:31 AM »
Our small game season started 15 days ago here in Wyoming. Been bogged down in my studies (old man on campus). Went small game scouting 2 days ago and a massive road reconstruction project eliminated my target area.

However, I will be going after snowshoe hare and cottontail on a weekend trip to the Grand Tetons while scouting for Elk of course.  ;)

Offline ladygaura

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 08:03:38 AM »
Dove hunters: What are the laws on hunting Eurasian Collared Dove?

Offline monger20

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 11:05:24 PM »
Unlimited!

They are considered an invasive species. All you have to do is leave proof of species ie. wing.

Kill them all.

Offline ladygaura

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 03:23:14 AM »
That's good! Yes they are invasive and many a birder friend of mine laments their spread. Kill as many as you can, please!

To everyone here-- this is how you identify the non-native creeps that are messing with our native Mourning Doves--

Eurasian Doves are whiter, with a neck ring and a squared-off end of tail. Mourning Doves are whiter with a rounded tail tip.

Eurasian Doves do not have the classic Mourning Dove wing-whistle.

Their coos are different, the Eurasian call is pitched differently and on just three syllables and in a hurried pace.

They're really easy to tell apart once you get used to them. Be aware that both species are found in the same areas sometimes. When I visit my mom, I regularly hear both calling at different times.

Now mind you, I'm a VERY hunter-friendly birder. So long as I don't get perforated and y'all aren't doing anything stupid, I'm absolutely fine. (Oh yeah, and don't mess with my local covey of Scaled Quail. they may be good eating, but they are also an essential part of garden insect control at this place!)