Author Topic: Trail Cam Pics  (Read 2030 times)

Offline JarHeadTed

• Prepper
    • Ted's Place
Trail Cam Pics
« on: August 26, 2011, 11:04:13 AM »
Look what I found on my trail cam last week.

Offline freetrapper

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Trail Cam Pics
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 03:08:05 PM »
That buck rocks! Nice capture...

Now, about that trail cam: Big Brother is using them too, out in the woods, in public, but not to capture pictures of wildlife, at least not with four legs. I am torn about the idea of outlawing these cameras on a state by state basis but, after all, Big Brother is placing them in strategic locations to do what I believe is an unwarranted search.

Here's a link to one such story: http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/mar/16/francis-marion-has-hidden-cameras/

Offline Rapid River

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 06:06:55 AM »
very nice, hope you get a chance at him during the season.

endurance

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 08:22:50 AM »
Now, about that trail cam: Big Brother is using them too, out in the woods, in public, but not to capture pictures of wildlife, at least not with four legs. I am torn about the idea of outlawing these cameras on a state by state basis but, after all, Big Brother is placing them in strategic locations to do what I believe is an unwarranted search.

Here's a link to one such story: http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/mar/16/francis-marion-has-hidden-cameras/
Here's a piece of the puzzle.  When I was working for the Forest Service back in the early 90s we tried to sell congress on the idea of UAOT (users at one time) to justify money for recreation.  While it's easy to justify a timber crew and define how many board feet of lumber they prepare for sale or the lands crew to justify how many cows are grazing, it's hard to justify money for recreation when not everyone is in campgrounds.  So what initially started as standing at the trailhead and counting people to get a random sample revealed that most people will actually pull in, see a ranger, and drive away rather than hike (which we confirmed when we hid in the woods to do our counts.  Probably some people had dogs and no leashes, others were worried about that warrant for their arrest, who knows why folks turned around?).  Eventually we went to IR beam trail counters and yes, trail cameras to do our counts.  It's a hell of a lot easier to pull a USB card and flip through pictures to define group sizes than hunkering in the woods doing nothing for hours on end.

There's plenty of case law that has established that taking a picture in a public place is not an unwarranted search, so I don't think things are going to change.