Author Topic: What manufactured 357mag rounds use nice brass for reloading?  (Read 6924 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
What manufactured 357mag rounds use nice brass for reloading?
« on: January 05, 2011, 05:36:57 PM »
As I've been reloading for almost a year, I purchase manufactured ammo infrequently now.  Inevitably I've been losing or wrecking a cases over time and need to replace some brass.

Looking at prices at new brass, I've rationalized that some loaded rounds aren't a whole lot more expensive than premium new brass.

Does anyone know which manufacturers of loaded rounds use nice 357mag brass?

Fiocchi brass has worked well, and is what I typically buy for plinking, then reloading.  Wondering if any companies use premium brass like Starline.

Thanks
-S

OldManSchmidt

Re: What manufactured 357mag rounds use nice brass for reloading?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 06:45:09 PM »
I know Federal uses a really good case for it's Hydrashock label.  It is nickel plated brass, IIRC (maybe chrome plated).  I know it is good brass for reloading.  Then again, it costs quite a bit more than basic brass too.  I load a lot of pistol ammo in several calibers, though not .357, and have found that most any brass cased, boxer primed commercial round provides brass that does well in reloads.  Also to note, I tend to load middle-of-the-road loads rather than upper limit loads.  Less powder, less pressure, less stress on the brass.  And I shoot better with them than hot loads.

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I can be an ankle biter too!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 06:21:44 PM »
I am not sure about .357, but I know I don't like Blaser brass.  I think that it is head stamped speer and in .45 I have not enjoyed loading it. The bras varies alot and the primer pockets are undersized or something.

Offline WhiteStarNC

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 04:57:55 PM »
With pistol brass you do not have the issues of case trimming and neck thinning like you do with most rifle brass.  I just use range ammo and never have a problem

Offline spartan

• Ass Hat Hitman
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Battle Hippie
    • The Permaculture Podcast
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 06:04:59 PM »
I have always been pleased with Magtech ammunition and the resulting once-fired brass for .44mag.  I heard some complaints a few years back but haven't had any of my own.  It cleans up nice in the tumbler and rolls through my carbide dies without a hiccup.  No issues of any kind to report.

OldManSchmidt

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 07:26:17 PM »
As it happens, Speer is associated with or owns the Federal, Speer, Blaser, and CCI label among several others. 

Here's the link:  http://glarp.atk.com/2010/2010_Catalogs/SpeerAmmoCatalog.pdf

It is not inconceivable that Speer packages their own ammo for one or more of these companies under the other company's name.  If that is the case, it would not be surprising to find Speer headstamps  in another company's packaging.

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I can be an ankle biter too!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 06:45:23 PM »
I misspoke blaser brass is stamped CCI.  However, I I pulled out some Speer, CCI and Federal.  The CCI and Speer have kind of a goofy concaveness (word?) in the case head that the Federal did not have.  I like Winchester White Box for loaded ammo I plan to reload in pistol rounds.   

OldManSchmidt

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 08:23:30 PM »
Winchester WinClean?  I have some of their brass in my reloads.  It works well.

Offline BulkAmmo.com

• Survivor
    • BulkAmmo
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 08:08:43 AM »
Most of the American ammo has good brass.  I like Winchester brass the most but it is my least favorite loaded ammo.  I've had pretty good lucky reloading Fiocchi, Magtech and Sellier & Bellot brass.  

I generally dislike reloading nickle plated brass.  After reloading the ammo a handful of times the nickle will start to flake off.  I don't mind it if I'm loading HPs for practice though.  Gives me the same results as my carry ammo.  They just make poor options for constant reloading.

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 08:53:17 AM »
Revolver cases are a little different then semi auto brass.  I have not really found a "bad" rimmed case.  I have not purchased rimmed cases... ever... actually.  My buddies dad (my mentor for hand loading) has several thousand cases of 38 and 357... I know many of them have been around for the better part of 30 years.  We have not shot these calibers remotely as often, as say 45/40/9mm.  He has quite a smattering of Winchester and Remington... CCI, random others.  I pretty much load around minimum as I cast 155gr SWC for this one... the cases tend to last just short of forever.

Side not:
I have have quite a few problems with the UMC factory brass for reloading.  It seems that they have a narrower wall and the case mouth will not fully "crimp" around the projectile.  (note, when I say "crimp", I do not mean that I put a crimp on the case, just that when the bullet is seated, it tends to have a lip that will catch when the round tries to feed)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 04:31:16 PM »
I use the Lee FCD for a light roll crimp.  It might wear the brass faster, but I don't want bullets creeping during big recoil.

Offline r1kk1

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 06:13:15 AM »
I use Starline almost exclusively lately. Good brass. I don't care for nickel plated cases. Just about any crimp die works with it. I have shot IHMSA with this Dan Wesson and the 10" barrel in place. Cast bullets of 180 grains works well.

take care,

r1kk1