Author Topic: Sonic Brass Case Cleaner  (Read 2329 times)

Offline The Sage of Monticello

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
Sonic Brass Case Cleaner
« on: September 12, 2011, 12:27:51 AM »
Well I searched here in the forum and could not find anyone remarking on the sonic case cleaner so I created this post. I should have seen that fact alone as an ominous sign.

Picked up a $100 new Lyman Sonic Case Cleaner. Boy do I feel like a heel. My intentions were to implement OPSEC and not have all the neighbors hear my corn cob tumbler going on for hours.

I also was allured by the short cleaning time of 35 minutes and super quiet cleaning versus hours of loud tumbling in a corn cob media tumbler. If I can save one soul from wasting $100 bucks on a sonic cleaner maybe some good Karma will come back my way. I hate this cleaner so much that I am simply going to put it away in storage. In fact, I want to take it out to the range and shoot it to pieces with my new .44 Mag Ruger Super Blackhawk.

After a second use of placing brand new brass (a few hours after shooting today) into the sonic cleaner, the brass comes out sticky, unpolished, unclean looking, and discolored from the liquid cleaning solution (I followed the formula measuring precisely as stated).

What a pain in the neck it is to dry and remove water from each single brass. My old corn cob media tumbler works fine it was never broken, and I will gladly go back to her and never look back.

I should have listened to my Dad.

1. There are no shortcuts in life. (sonic case cleaner)
2. If it ain't broke don't fix it. (corn cob media tumbler)

Sigh.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Sonic Brass Case Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 09:36:27 PM »
I am not sure about sonic - but I have heard of using steel rods in a water solution to really clean up the brass.

Because of the weight it requires a bit more power than most dry media brass clears do.

The following link shows a how-to-build your own version of it - looks interesting and all. 

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/344986_How_i_built_my_own_rotary_tumbler.html&page=1

I have heard of folks using mini-cement mixers to bulk clean brass for the business.    Only way I would consider that route is to buy surplus military ammo and process it as part of it getting ready to sell to the open market.

I am always looking for ways to improve the quality of the brass cleaning phase.  If I was doing bench rest shooting I would consider this method superior due to how clean the flash/primer holes come out after processing.   

Offline SuperDuty

• Survivor
Re: Sonic Brass Case Cleaner
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 06:58:09 AM »
Thanks for the info Sage.  I had been wondering about how well those cleaners worked.