Author Topic: How we prepared for hurricane Irene  (Read 15062 times)

Offline ablesolutions

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • My Self Sufficient Plan
How we prepared for hurricane Irene
« on: August 31, 2011, 12:01:21 AM »
Hurricane Irene's winds were 70 miles per hour.  Enough to cause tree damage.  The downed trees created broken power lines, electrified puddles, crushed automobiles, damaged homes, and a lot of flooding.  Local news claims New Jersey and Vermont were the hardest hit eastern states.  Many roads are now flooded so travel is a real pain.  We had gone without power for four days some years ago, in July (a substation problem), so we lost all our food.  This was an important lesson learned the hard way.  This time we were ready with our water making machine and our battery backup which can be recharged with a 90 watt solar panel.  We also tied down anything that could become airborn and anchored our small metal tool shed.  Many homes near rivers are now flooded.  We survived it OK.  The sump pump ran almost constantly, and we had many downed tree branches but fortunatly no damage to our home.  Our preparations gave us much piece of mind.

Offline Packrat_Junkie

• Prepper
Re: How we prepared for hurricane Irene
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 02:07:09 AM »
Welcome to the forum!  Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 04:21:55 AM »
Welcome to the forum and I am glad Irene left you unscathed.

Cedar

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 05:03:02 AM »
Glad you got through okay.

When you get the chance, please stop over at the Intro Thread and introduce yourself.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 06:36:51 AM »
We survived it OK.  ...  Our preparations gave us much piece of mind.
8) Congratulations ablesolutions.  Keep on posting, we want to hear how you and your area do in the recovery phase.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 06:46:17 AM »
Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

wow - this is a great quote.  +1

Offline brewboss

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 11:51:06 AM »
I,too had to deal with it. Prep was easy.  I rolled the generator out of the shed, put the patio furniture in the shed, then rolled the generator to the garage.  Prepped in 15 minutes.  Had no problems. 

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 09:26:32 PM »
It was a good experience for us.  It made me finish my transfer switch install.  Ran the generator for a half hour and put it back in the shed.  Most of the day the wife and I where manning a Red Cross shelter.  We could do that because we new everything at home was in order and Ok. 

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 09:44:09 PM »
I found one hole in my preparedness for this storm is i need better rain gear. Maybe I get a cpl extra ponchos or pickup a road crew style rain suit from Carhart or atleast a jacket and hat.

Offline LadyGator

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 07:43:25 AM »
I found one hole in my preparedness for this storm is i need better rain gear. Maybe I get a cpl extra ponchos or pickup a road crew style rain suit from Carhart or atleast a jacket and hat.

I would suggestion a rain suit for its added benefits to a poncho.

They usually have elastic on the wrist section and also pant hems.  Hooded ones usually have a string pull tie so no need to worry of it getting blown back leaving your head exposed.  Lastly, most are thicker and provide easier movement to perform various tasks with heavy rainfall. 

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 08:03:35 AM »
In my BOB, I pack my sleeping bags in HEAVY DUTY black plastic garbage bags, all my gear inside the pack in HEAVY DUTY black plastic garbage bags. I have used them more than once for emergency rain gear. I used to use cadaver bags from the vet office in actuality. Tear a hole for your head and two more for your arms. Lightweight and you can use for also a ground cloth, it/they keep your gear dry and also could use for water collection.

Cedar

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 09:24:22 AM »
I would suggestion a rain suit for its added benefits to a poncho.

<SNIP SNIP>

Plus, the number one purpose for a poncho is to funnel all the rain that would have made your clothes wet directly into your boots.  Wet feet make you miserable.

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 10:24:32 AM »
Thx guys, i think i'm going to go the rain suit route and maybe a backup poncho, I'm headed to Cabela's soon so it's on the list when I go

Offline VeggieDog

• Survivor
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 01:04:53 AM »
Lots of great ideas here.  Thanks.

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 08:14:10 AM »
We had gone without power for four days some years ago, in July (a substation problem), so we lost all our food.  This was an important lesson learned the hard way.  This time we were ready with our water making machine and our battery backup which can be recharged with a 90 watt solar panel.
First of all, I commend you for your proactive preparations and your coming out of the storm intact. We have relatives in N.J. that live in an apartment that was generator powered. I'd be interested in hearing how your food supply survived this time, a generator? And what is a water making machine? And what did the solar panel power, and what was its' performance in cloudy days?

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 05:13:58 PM »
Some parts of northern Idaho appear to be a zone 6 and should be warmer than you would think. Check out a map that shows growing zones