Author Topic: JUST GOT MY BIG BERKEY IN AND HAVE A QUESTION  (Read 2740 times)

Offline bisonhawk1

• Prepper
    • bisonhawk1@youtube.com
JUST GOT MY BIG BERKEY IN AND HAVE A QUESTION
« on: August 30, 2011, 08:29:29 PM »
JUST GOT MY NEW BIG BERKEY WITH FLUORIDE REDUCERS UP AND RUNNING, MY WIFE AND I JUST TRIED OUR FIRST GLASS OF WATER AND WE BOTH NOTICED THE WATER TASTES A LITTLE LIKE CARBON. I PRIMED THE FILTER ELEMENTS ACCORDING TO THE INSTRUCTIONS AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THIS IS A NORMAL PART OF THE BREAKING IN PROCESS.

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Berkey Water Purification Systems
Re: JUST GOT MY BIG BERKEY IN AND HAVE A QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 04:02:57 PM »
JUST GOT MY NEW BIG BERKEY WITH FLUORIDE REDUCERS UP AND RUNNING, MY WIFE AND I JUST TRIED OUR FIRST GLASS OF WATER AND WE BOTH NOTICED THE WATER TASTES A LITTLE LIKE CARBON. I PRIMED THE FILTER ELEMENTS ACCORDING TO THE INSTRUCTIONS AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THIS IS A NORMAL PART OF THE BREAKING IN PROCESS.

Please allow 5-10 gallons to pass through the system, as that taste is normal for the first 5-10 gallons, and we recommend not drinking the first 5-10 gallons passed through the system.

theberkeyguy

Offline bisonhawk1

• Prepper
    • bisonhawk1@youtube.com
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 04:58:31 PM »
[ tquote author=theberkeyguy link=topic=30172.msg332788#msg332788 date=1314828177]
Please allow 5-10 gallons to pass through the system, as that taste is normal for the first 5-10 gallons, and we recommend not drinking the first 5-10 gallons passed through the system.

theberkeyguy
[/quote]that's what I thounght it also may have to do with priming with city water and perging that out of the filters. however it does already taste better than our crappy city water. Is that filter rated to filter out hexachromium there have been reports of it contaminating some of the ground water in west texas. I don't kn ow the extent of the contamination but I know its pretty nasty stuff

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Berkey Water Purification Systems
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 08:19:35 AM »
[ tquote author=theberkeyguy link=topic=30172.msg332788#msg332788 date=1314828177]

theberkeyguy
that's what I thounght it also may have to do with priming with city water and perging that out of the filters. however it does already taste better than our crappy city water. Is that filter rated to filter out hexachromium there have been reports of it contaminating some of the ground water in west texas. I don't kn ow the extent of the contamination but I know its pretty nasty stuff

Currently, only chromium has been tested and is reduced, but hexachromium has not been specifically tested.

theberkeyguy

Offline bisonhawk1

• Prepper
    • bisonhawk1@youtube.com
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 09:59:26 AM »
Currently, only chromium has been tested and is reduced, but hexachromium has not been specifically tested.

theberkeyguy
thanks jeff ill research the similarities myself your an honest guy and I apreciate your input expect future business from me

Offline NotoriousAPP

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 10:47:36 AM »
I had the same experience from my berkey, it took 10 gallons to break it in but after that the water was perfect.