• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
Katia
« on: September 01, 2011, 02:59:23 PM »
http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201112.html

This thread is for reports on, and tracking of Tropical Storm (or hurricane) Katia.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: Katia
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 03:01:56 PM »
Here's the 5 day predicted track of Katia.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 07:14:53 PM »
Wow... cat 2 with all that warm water to cross and nothing to slow it down... not good. Is that track similar to Hugo (several years ago, I know, but it hit the east coast really hard, iirc.)?

Offline antsyaunt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 07:30:53 PM »
Wow, that looks really powerful.  We still need rain in many areas, but in my region there are people who still have no power due to Irene's damage. 

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
might be a bad year to live on the east coast this year.

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 08:39:59 PM »
For those of you with ham radios or shortwave radios, the Hurricane Watch Net frequency of 14.325 MHz USB would be a good place to listen to real time reports from people in the effected area.    More info at http://www2.fiu.edu/~w4ehw/ also, the National Hurricane Center would be another good place to gather info http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

For those of you in the area if/when it makes landfall, good luck and as we say in the fire service, stay low.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 09:45:16 PM »
Somebody in chat yesterday was saying that when hurricanes get big, they like to go out to sea. So the fact that Katia, who was a cat 1 hurricane yesterday, is now back down to a tropical storm worries me. Does that mean she's more likely to hit land?

endurance

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 07:55:47 AM »
Somebody in chat yesterday was saying that when hurricanes get big, they like to go out to sea. So the fact that Katia, who was a cat 1 hurricane yesterday, is now back down to a tropical storm worries me. Does that mean she's more likely to hit land?
That doesn't sound right to me, otherwise how would a major hurricane ever hit land?  The truth is that hurricanes are "steered" by the prevailing winds (east to west near the equator, west to east in the mid-latitudes) and high pressure systems.  The size or intensity doesn't really matter.

The other common misnomer is that a higher intensity storm (say category 3 vs. tropical storm) is inevitably going to cause more damage.  While the more intense storm can bring higher winds and a larger storm surge, a large tropical storm that sits in one place can cause serious flooding (or in the case of Irene, hit mountainous terrain or cold air that's like wringing out a sponge) relative to a larger storm that's very fast moving.  Speed, size, and intensity should always be considered on whether to evacuate or not. 

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 08:17:16 AM »
The forecast models on Katia have changed quite a bit over the last few days. Originally it looked as if this storm wouldn't be of much worry, but now it appears that it is more likely that it could make contact with the U.S.

I like to check The Stormpulse Site. You can turn on "Forecast Models" in the the upper right hand corner of the map to see what various models are showing  for the storm's potential track.

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 11:29:10 AM »
We got off lucky with Irene and never lost power, but we were on a temporary island for a while.
Think I'll grab a few beers and tinker on my generator this afternoon. Damn new gas has the carb screwed up....AGAIN.  I'll need it sooner or later anyhow, and winter is right around the corner.

Offline nano.

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 06:46:12 PM »
i'm sitting offshore right now in BDA. I'm supposed to fly out on the 10th to head back to VT... I'm keeping an eye on Katia, not because of the risk of it hitting the island, but us getting delayed on our flight back. If so, oh well.. like I'd really cry a river having to call my boss telling him i'm "stuck" in paradise for another couple of days till I can get back!  ;)

But seriously, I hope to hell it doesn't rip back up the east coast. We've had enough rain for now, thank you very much. If southern VT got another dumping on it like we just saw, it would be over there.

Hope everyone on the mainland is safe... keep an eye on this one, I'll be keeping you all in my thoughts that this one passes us by...

Craig

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 06:58:55 PM »
Wow... cat 2 with all that warm water to cross and nothing to slow it down... not good. Is that track similar to Hugo (several years ago, I know, but it hit the east coast really hard, iirc.)?

Hugo came in around Charleston, SC (south of this predicted path) and it was the worst hurricane I ever experienced. They had to completely re-build the power poles and lines throughout many cities and towns in the area. There were pine trees stretched across the roads and interstates every few feet for miles and miles.

We had an amazing barbeques in the backyard with all the stuff from the deep freezer the first couple nights.

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 10:00:35 AM »
For those of you with ham radios or shortwave radios, the Hurricane Watch Net frequency of 14.325 MHz USB would be a good place to listen to real time reports from people in the effected area.    More info at http://www2.fiu.edu/~w4ehw/ also, the National Hurricane Center would be another good place to gather info http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

For those of you in the area if/when it makes landfall, good luck and as we say in the fire service, stay low.

People with smartphones can also get this with any of the scanner applications.

(Also, for those of us on the east coast...always remember... When the going gets tuff the tuff get going, because the smart have already left!)