Author Topic: REWARDING EXPERIENCES  (Read 4892 times)

Offline Halyna

• Prepper
REWARDING EXPERIENCES
« on: October 25, 2011, 02:44:52 PM »
I've been reading posts here some of which are not very flattering to us 'preppers', 'survivalists' or 'hoarders'.  And naturally there is a lot of gloom & doom on such sites.

I'd like to hear everyone's response to this:  Since you've been preparing, what has been your most rewarding experience? 

Can I start? 
When disaster hit Japan and they said there was traces of radiation all the way to California, everyone ran out to buy KI pills, then the next day Fox News announced nobody can find them anymore.  I told my friend:  I've got mine.  Do you have yours?
When they are predicting an ice storm here (small town in Pennsylvania), everyone is sold out of milk, bread and toilet paper.  I dont even go out, I've got plenty.
And when those ice storms come with 2 feet of icicles hanging from the power lines: I dont know why people start banging on your door to ask if you have power when you live right next door BUT  I have my own heat, fuel, and light.

Though I dont (and I doubt anyone does) have ALL they will need, it is so rewarding to know you have all set up even for these small issues.  I can only describe it as content and know we are OK in even these times of 'mini-disasters'.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
Re: REWARDING EXPERIENCES
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 09:32:05 PM »
Coming from a long line of Ozark hill folk, being a "prepper" has pretty much been my way of life.  But I guess the most rewarding is when our family is able to help others - I don't necessarily mean the takers, but rather those who are just seriously trying to become more prepared, but just haven't gotten to where our family is. We keep an extra generator, chain saws, etc., on hand and have loaned them out during emergencies.  When our area was hit by a bad ice storm a few years back, most people we knew were in total panic....many leaving their homes to stay with families, friends, or in motels in areas that still had power.  But since my household is set up to run without electricity (collectors would probably have a fit if they saw all the "antiques" that we use on a regular basis), while the rest of the county was in chaos, things here went on pretty much as usual.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 08:47:16 AM »
I am most rewarded by the little experiences.  My DW runs out of something and wants to run to the store, I say wait a minute, go to the stash downstairs, and bring up what she needs.  I get a thanks and a nice look of suprise.  She is not totally on board and it is these little instances of me being prepared for whatever she needs that make more of an effect on her than nagging her about the importance of preparation.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 01:00:50 PM »
My "rewarding experience" actually happened this morning.  My daughter (now grown and married with a 15 mo. old baby) surprised me today.  I called her as she lives in another town about an hour from us and asked how her weather was there as Colorado is predicted to get somewhere between 8 and 14 inches of snow today.  She said it was snowing pretty good there and I asked if she had to go anywhere.  She says, "No, I picked up anything I thought I might need yesterday when I was out".  So then I mention that the snow is very heavy and very wet and we could be without power.  She tells me, " I already thought of that. Since we're on a well here and if the power goes out we won't have any water I already filled up some water bottles for drinking and jugs for washing up. And I've been down in the storeroom and found our Coleman Stove". I'm thinking - wow she did listen all these years growing up with crazy prepper parents. It's nice to know she paid attention and I don't have to worry. 

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 01:08:12 PM »
I had the choice earlier this year to take a pay cut and keep my job or lose my job.  I took the pay cut.  We are squeaking by due to our preps.  While still scary that my preps are dwindling and not being replaced as quickly as I'd like (especially in this economic climate), it is rewarding to still be feeding my family and paying our bills.  I'm getting pretty good with rice and beans and chicken broth. 

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 02:09:59 PM »
I had the choice earlier this year to take a pay cut and keep my job or lose my job.  I took the pay cut.  We are squeaking by due to our preps.  While still scary that my preps are dwindling and not being replaced as quickly as I'd like (especially in this economic climate), it is rewarding to still be feeding my family and paying our bills.  I'm getting pretty good with rice and beans and chicken broth.

Sorry about the cut in pay but good for you for having the preps to get you by.  Hang in there.

Offline average_joe

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 03:18:27 PM »
Our most rewarding experience was being financially stable enough to help our daughter through a very rough time. It was a really tough year for all of us. She basically had to ask her now x husband to leave. She has 3 children no car has been out of the work force for over 5 years so things were not looking rosy. To top it off he has not been paying the bills for over a month. She needs to come up with $1200.00 just to get back to zero.

He will not help financially took her and the kids off of his insurance 2 days after he left the house and then quit his job 2 weeks later. He can spend $200.00 on a computer chair (I paid $5 for the one I'm sitting in right now) 50- 100 bucks for video games and junk. We got her back to zero loaned her our car and put a retainer on a attorney. We helped with gas and groceries and when things popped up.

She has a job at a place where she is happy has her own car and is doing pretty good. It was rough but she hung in there toughed it out and made it through. I'm proud of her she did not give up.

Living within our budget, living a pretty simple life style and staying out of debt gave us a good cash reserve that we could afford to help her through a tough spot.     

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 04:00:05 PM »
+1 Average Joe... really glad you guys were prepared to be able to help your daughter and grandkids when they needed it. This is a very good reason why we all prep.

Offline average_joe

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 04:34:29 AM »
+1 Average Joe... really glad you guys were prepared to be able to help your daughter and grandkids when they needed it. This is a very good reason why we all prep.

Thank you LysChant. A great deal of prepping is mundane everyday stuff but when the time comes around that you need it's true value really stands out.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 09:57:22 AM »
I have been a "prepper" most of my life.  Just never gave myself that label.  Being prepared has helped us through job losses 6 times being homeless 3 times 2 near death illnesses 7 hospitalized illnesses 3 car crashes that resulted in temp loss of pay check handicapping condition that has resulted in loss of pay check for 5 yrs now.  It has also helped out when the truck broke down in the woods.  When we got stuck in a snow & ice storm.  Was an absolute life saver when Mt Saint Helens blew her top.  Keep stuff in your car!! We have been like a lightening rod to shtf storms.  If any one can give a reason for prepping I sure can.  One time I even had to sell some of our food I had stored to pay for car insurance.  Did find out that coffee sugar beer snacks resell the fastest.    ;)

Now we sit with 6 month er fund 0 debit besides our mortgage (that should be gone in 2-3yrs).  We do have a garden now and will grow more of our own food.  Out of all of those thing the most rewarding is that when I look out the window I can see our breeding pigs eating and playing in the yard / pasture.  I know that they will provide us with a continuous source of food.  They are the back bone of our homestead.  I know it wont be long and poultry of sorts will soon follow along with other livestock. 

The wood stove is on the way too!  Can't wait to be  roasty toasty by the fire.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 10:57:00 AM »
A great deal of prepping is mundane everyday stuff but when the time comes around that you need it's true value really stands out.

Absolutely!