Author Topic: Henna?  (Read 6411 times)

amanadoo

Henna?
« on: September 04, 2011, 06:45:20 PM »
Has anyone here used henna on their hair?

I just ordered some and after years of staying away from the chemical stuff, I am excited to be "messing" with my hair again ;D

I have almost-black hair, so I got a red color and the jet black in case I need to cover up the red color, haha.

I have read about using different liquids for different effects....chamomile tea for high lights and coffee for darker tones, et cetera. Does anyone have any experience doing that?

I am also REALLY interested to see how it affects the texture of my hair. My hair is super thick and healthy (-looking, at least), but my sister in law has thin, wiry hair and I am wondering if henna might help her bolster it up a bit!

Any tips?

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Henna?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 09:34:03 PM »
nope, no tips, but watching to see what happens with you!  :D
I have wanted to play with henna for a while.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 09:50:48 PM »
Lucille Ball always had good results with henna.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 05:19:33 AM »
Lucille Ball always had good results with henna.

she did not!  did she?  I thought she was natural red.  are you pulling my leg, TD?

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 07:22:33 AM »
Nope, not natural. First she dyed her chestnut hair blonde, then later red. Throughout the series, several references are made to the henna rinse she uses. In one episode, she "rescues" two large jars of henna rinse from what Lucy Ricardo thought was a fire in their apartment.

In the early 1930s, Ball, who had dyed her chestnut hair blonde, ...

Still, as the late 1940s rolled around, Ball, who had dyed her hair red in 1942 at MGM's urging, ...

http://www.biography.com/articles/Lucille-Ball-9196958?part=0

amanadoo

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 08:48:55 AM »
Yeah she did! I'd forgotten about that being henna! Most of the things she did as a blond were in black and white, but you can still tell.

And, she was really really pretty-- in the traditional sense-- when she was younger too! She got that BRIGHT red quite by accident, as the henna-based dyes back then were not exactly subject to stellar quality control. It obviously worked out though! Love her.

Anyway, so I've been reading and thought I'd add this in case someone else comes looking for info...

It is only the leaves of the henna plant that contain transferable pigment (dye), and there is only one pure henna color. It's a reddish sort of brown. You can get the pure henna, then mix it with whatever other color you can dream up in your kitchen laboratory.

Or you can buy it pre-mixed. That is called, technically, "Henna compound," though it isn't usually labeled as such. This is where it gets tricky, and you have to do your homework. Because you CAN get all natural henna compounds, but you can also get henna compounds that are as full of toxins as the boxes of color at Wal Mart.

If you have ANY color or bleach in your hair, and you try to use compound henna that is NOT all natural, your hair will literally disintegrate!!!

This is why when I worked in a salon, they wouldn't even cut your hair if you had used henna in it! It was too risky. Because everyone and their mothers *says* they used all natural henna, but then how upsetting do you think it is when their head gets hot, and they smell burning hair and their hair has melted and fallen off?!

I personally think the take-away here is not to use either the bad henna OR commercial hair color, but as a former stylist don't tell anyone I said that LOL.

So, anyway, it's important to get the natural stuff. Some of the websites I found were really purists that insisted you ONLY get pure henna and make your own color, but in every instance of that, they were selling pure henna. So... you know.

I ordered the Rainbow henna, which is pre-mixed. The purists I mentioned are really against it, but I found a ton of women online who use rainbow with great results. So I'll letcha know how it goes for me!

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 09:28:55 AM »
Nope, not natural. First she dyed her chestnut hair blonde, then later red. Throughout the series, several references are made to the henna rinse she uses. In one episode, she "rescues" two large jars of henna rinse from what Lucy Ricardo thought was a fire in their apartment.

wow.  cool.  learn something new every day.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 12:07:26 PM »
well, hubby told me he wants me to dye my hair red again (it was red when we met) and I have really wanted to, so for our aniversary, i get my hair red :happydance:

so I have been searching for henna, and found this cool website:
www.hennaforhair.com/freebooks/hennaforhair.pdf

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 05:04:55 PM »
Ooh that is a very cool pdf. Thanks MS.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 05:01:09 PM »
just did henna coloring last weekend.  i bought some from hennaforhair.com
mixed it as per the instructions - lemon juice to mashed potato consistency on Thursday night, added more to yogurt consistency on Friday afternoon, and my friend gooped up my head to look like a giant duck pooped on my head.  wrapped it in plastic wrap and then we took all the kids to Chick-Fil-A.  and I drove home (2 hours) with it.
it is heavy, all stuck to your head.
it was a pain to rinse out.

but....
my head is a nice auburn color (if I ever figure out how to get pictures off my phone, I will post before and afters), except where I have gray hair - those are a nice coppery highlight.  over all, I am somewhat pleased.

Offline wanamoka

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 10:21:31 PM »
I am a natural redhead.  I've used henna for years.  I follow the same recipe as Morning Sunshine.   You can buy the henna from the Indian store if you like or you can buy from hennaforhair.com   You just want to make sure it is the crushed leaves.  Since the compound in the leaf actually stains the hair,  It will not wash out.  It will not bleach out, unless you want pink hair..  The remedies that can sometimes be found on the internet for henna gone bad, baking soda/lemon juice rinse, is a terrible joke.  It will ruin your hair.  Real henna actually builds up the hair shaft, though the color does fade some, but not much.   I've read from henna experts that the so called colors of henna, are just like having your hair dyed. and you run the risk of them containing heavy metals. 
From what I've read, Lucy did occasionally use the real henna plant, when she could get it from Egypt, which was not as often as she liked.

Offline CaliforniaPoppy

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 12:10:39 AM »
I've been using it for about five years. I get mine from Mehandi.com. I have a lot of hair, but it's very fine. The henna coats it and makes the hair shafts thicker and stronger. My hair is nearly black, with a lot of gray. It turns the gray dark-but-bright red, and the nearly-black gets a deep auburn color. Since I've been using it, my hair is as long as it ever has been - down past my waist.

As for tips:

I always henna over clean hair. I let the henna set for about 24 hours before using it. Let it sit someplace warm. I leave mine in the microwave, partly covered. I mix it with yogurt and lemon juice. Too much lemon juice dries my hair out too much. I sometimes add a little bit of honey, powdered cloves, strong Red Zinger tea, or hibiscus flower tea to the mix to bring out the reds. There are lots of recipes out there. Just do a search. As long as it's food and you're not allergic, it ought to be safe. Patch test if you are concerned.

I sometimes leave it in for as long as overnight and wash it out in the morning. If not overnight, 4-6 hours or longer. I usually cover it with plastic wrap, and plastic grocery bags. Sometimes I heat my head a bit with a dryer. Heat seems to help bring the color out. Henna is messy to apply, and my husband often helps me get it down to the roots. He wears gloves, because it stains his hands. Make sure you put lotion or use cotton strips/tissue on your ears and forehead to avoid stains from drips. Wear a shirt you don't mind staining, and if you leave it in overnight, be careful of your sheets.

I always buy from the same source, because some overseas sources use heavy metals which you do not want in your body. I would not buy from an Asian market unless I knew about the brand and had read up on it extensively online. It just isn't worth it. For the same reason, strenuously avoid the ones that say you can dye in just a short time. They are formulated more like regular hair dye, and who knows what is in them, since they only have some henna.

I wash the henna out with conditioner, not shampoo. Cheap White Rain or whatever else is on sale from the drug store. It takes a long time to wash out, and the conditioner makes the hair slippery and harder to tangle. Use liberally. I use up to half a bottle at the time.

You won't see all of the color for a day or two, because it has to oxidize in the hair. It seems to darken and deepen nicely after about a day and a half.

The only drawbacks I can think of are that it is hard to immediately re-dye henna'ed hair with something else if you don't like it. The way it coats the shaft makes it hard for the hair to accept new colors. In my experience, the henna eventually fades enough to redye after eight weeks or so, so it's not a forever sort of thing if you really don't like it. Honestly, though, the color looks so natural and pretty... I can't see using anything else. Good luck!

Has anyone here used henna on their hair?

I just ordered some and after years of staying away from the chemical stuff, I am excited to be "messing" with my hair again ;D

I have almost-black hair, so I got a red color and the jet black in case I need to cover up the red color, haha.

I have read about using different liquids for different effects....chamomile tea for high lights and coffee for darker tones, et cetera. Does anyone have any experience doing that?

I am also REALLY interested to see how it affects the texture of my hair. My hair is super thick and healthy (-looking, at least), but my sister in law has thin, wiry hair and I am wondering if henna might help her bolster it up a bit!

Any tips?

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 07:55:21 AM »
oh cool, thanks guys for your input.
I did get mine from hennaforhair.com so this makes me feel better.
How long before you can do your roots?  how do you only get it on the roots?  can you get away with just redoing the visible roots?

I like it.  but it seems to be not as red as I was hoping.  course my hair is a dirty brown - not even a pretty solid brown.  like a really dark blond without any of the pretty of either blond or brunette.  over night, huh?  I was wondering if I could leave it on that long.  maybe next time.

Offline Fyrsprite

• Survivor
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 10:35:49 AM »
Anyone have experience with the henna from Lush?  I purchased some a while back, but have been kind of a fraidy cat when it's come down to actually using it. 

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 10:50:19 AM »
oh cool, thanks guys for your input.
I did get mine from hennaforhair.com so this makes me feel better.
How long before you can do your roots?  how do you only get it on the roots?  can you get away with just redoing the visible roots?

I like it.  but it seems to be not as red as I was hoping.  course my hair is a dirty brown - not even a pretty solid brown.  like a really dark blond without any of the pretty of either blond or brunette.  over night, huh?  I was wondering if I could leave it on that long.  maybe next time.

OK, MS... we need a photo. You can maintain opsec and still let us see those gorgeous locks, right?