Author Topic: My Hometown Named One Of America's Fastest Dying Cities  (Read 1772 times)

Offline Patriot:Ex Machina

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
My Hometown Named One Of America's Fastest Dying Cities
« on: January 05, 2009, 10:35:57 AM »
My hometown of Asheboro NC has the dubious honor of being named #4 on the Forbes "Fastest Dying Towns In America" list.
I can testify to the fact that many of the manufacturing jobs have set sail for "further South" or across the ocean.
I've seen it happen to family members and friends. And if they think it's been bad so far, they haven't seen nothin' yet.

http://www.myfoxwghp.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=8044642&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

Forbes Names Asheboro a 'Fastest-Dying' Town

By SHEEKA STRICKLAND
FOX8 News

ASHEBORO, N.C. -- Jerry Hill and his staff work to keep the shelves stocked at the Christians United Outreach Center. These days, more people in the city need the help.

"The people that were at one time our supporters are now sitting in our lobby, needing help," Hill laments.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 06:06:38 PM by KYdoomer »

coffecat

Re: My Hometown Named One Of America's Fastest Dying Cities
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 09:58:53 AM »
In 1970 We lived in Asheboro.  The best job paying the most then was to be a "double stitch crotch-sewer in a pantihose mill".  I can see how Asheboro has almost gone out of business because there are all mills.  Some of the poorest people in america live around Asheboro.  Knew a telephone line installation man then.  He went into cabins chinked with moss and installed lines for phones. He saw babies occaisionally that could not literally move because of being underfed.  He saw some awful stuff.  Way back then, Thank God.   C.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 10:20:02 AM »
I was aware that a lot of our mills have left from NC, but I didn't know that Ashboro was hit so bad by it. I am sorry to hear that your town is having such trouble. They should make it illegal for an American business to go overseas, either that or tax the hell out of them for it. We used to have several textile mills around my part of NC, and now they are just lifeless hulks sitting silently on the countryside. Its such a shame that America has allowed businesses to do this to people.

Offline johnnyb_good30

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 10:15:02 AM »
towns are dyeing jops are gone no one has money
. and now thay moved all the work out of the us.
thay want us to bail them out with it tax we pay  wtf buy us bilt but what is us bilt any more???
i would rather buy a toy bilt in the us than a ford made in mexco!!!

Offline Chezplex

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 10:55:36 AM »
I live in Hickory, (The Furniture capital of the world) HA ha!  At one time something like 70% of the worlds furniture was made within 30 miles of here.  Now most furniture, textiles, etc. are gone.  We already have according to the "official numbers" 10.2 % unemployment.  Add in the self-employed that cant sign up and the underemployed working less than 20 hrs per week;  I would bet it is over 20% unemployment!  "BRING BACK OUR JOBS" hows that for a simple cost effective stimulus plan!!!!!  So what if it piss china, russia, etc. off.  If we work, we earn, we consume!!! That's what the foreign countries want anyway, the dollar!