Author Topic: Can I paint my MURs antenna?  (Read 5654 times)

Offline cerakoter

• Prepper
    • www.cerakote.info
Can I paint my MURs antenna?
« on: September 10, 2011, 12:03:43 PM »
I have a couple of driveway boxes I would like to camo.  Would a light coat of Krylon hurt the TX/RX ?

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
Re: Can I paint my MURs antenna?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 04:03:17 PM »
Paint should not affect RF propagation if it doesn't contain any metals.  Some reds have significant iron oxide, some white's titanium oxides, etc.  Keep in mind that even if it does affect RF propagation, it may be negligible at the short ranges most MURS applications operate at. 

Can you test by covering the unit with tape and plastic then spray?  If you notice a problem after it dries, strip it and regroup.  If it works fine, strip it and paint a permanent coat.

~TG

Offline cerakoter

• Prepper
    • www.cerakote.info
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 04:40:28 PM »
Actually, I can just tape it and coat and leave it that way.  Thanks for the "why didn't I think of that" moment. :)

Offline rob_ma

• Survivor
    • murs-radio.com - Two way radio and security equipment
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 04:55:40 PM »
I have the antenna of one at my home painted with a spray can of brown paint I got on sale from WalMart for $1. I didn't worry too much about it since it was within 1/2 mile of my home. I didn't notice any degradation. If you are on the fringe you might but if you are near field I wouldn't worry about it too much.

- Rob

Offline doublehelix

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 12:30:18 PM »
We routinely paint commercial fiberglass antennas with Krylon Plastic chair paint.

Just stay away from red and other colors with high metal content.

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 01:29:17 PM »
Paint should not affect RF propagation if it doesn't contain any metals.  Some reds have significant iron oxide, some white's titanium oxides, etc.  Keep in mind that even if it does affect RF propagation, it may be negligible at the short ranges most MURS applications operate at. 

Can you test by covering the unit with tape and plastic then spray?  If you notice a problem after it dries, strip it and regroup.  If it works fine, strip it and paint a permanent coat.

~TG

TG, are you an RF engineer, as I am?  You sure seem to know a lot about radio.

Offline RIjake

• Survivor
  • Yankee Redneck
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 01:43:42 PM »
I painted my Dakota with camo paint.  No issues.  Also for a more stealthy appearance you can fashion an antenna out of a piece of wire connected to BNC connector instead of the shiny metal antenna that comes with it.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 01:56:30 PM »
If you do see problems. I have heard of people using heat shrink tubbing to coverup there antennas.