Author Topic: Shooting Range First Aid Kits  (Read 4809 times)

d3nni5

Shooting Range First Aid Kits
« on: March 07, 2016, 03:41:15 PM »
I recently picked up one of these for my range bag.   Much of this I already have around the house.   I don't have the QuikClot however.   But with this list and a vacuum sealer bag, i thought I could replicate it for about half the price.

I want to keep this one small, because I have other FAK's at my disposal (in the truck, at the house, etc etc).   This is just something to keep close for immediate application if there is an accident.   

I see folks do similar stuff with chainsaw kits too.

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/trauma-pak-with-quikclot.html

Contents include:

1 - Bandage, Conforming Gauze, 3"
1 - Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 2" x 2", Pkg./2
1 - Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 4" x 4", Pkg./2
1 - Gloves, Nitrile (Pair), Hand Wipe
1 - QuikClot® Sport™ 25g
1 - Trauma Pad, 5" x 9"
1 - Duct Tape, 2" x 26"
1 - Bandage, Triangular
4 - Antiseptic Wipe
1 - Trauma and Accident Management Instructions

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Re: Shooting Range First Aid Kits
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 06:06:09 PM »
Thanks MSP !!

I go to the range, and sometimes I am the only one there, making up one or two of these seems a good idea. One for the range bag, one for the garage by the table saw maybe...

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 01:37:31 AM »
a tip i remember from another forum.

Some people have a bonus coming from their healthcare programs, thta is in form of credit to buy various medical supplies.
there are special online stores that accept this kind of credit, and among the items sold are ALL the AMK kits.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 04:48:50 AM »
Leave room in the kit for a lawyer....

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 09:58:24 AM »
     At our local gun range, each target range has a post with a large sign and a weatherproofed trauma (gunshot) FAK mounted below. I keep a gunshot kit in my truck, along with an extensive FAK, heavy on trauma and crash related bleeding. We have a "Good Samaritan" law in my state that holds individuals harmless if they attempt to aid a "victim" with good faith, in a lifesaving capacity. For instance: if you pull a neck injured victim from a burning car you're not responsible for injuries incurred by your rescue attempt.
    I wouldn't feel comfortable at the range without my own kit, and a cell phone. By the way, I think it's a good idea to put your blood type, medications (if they apply to FA: I'm on blood thinners) and allergies in multiple places. My wallet, FA kits, go-bags, gun cases and survival kits all have copies of this information along with emergency contacts. Don't forget the rest of your family either. This information should be in your kids school bags, athletic duffels, maybe even sewn inside their caps or hats on a scrap of fabric. 

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 10:21:02 AM »
I've got a pretty basic kit like mentioned above. I do keep a tourniquet in it as my only specialized item. With my skill level and my gear there's not much I can do with a shot to the body or head but being able to stop an arm or leg from bleeding out before I can get help seems reasonable. I have been trained by EMTs on its use and I'm pretty confident with it as modern versions are pretty simple.

Other than that I've had to hand out gauze and bandages several times. Guns are metal and have pointy parts and slide-bite happens (every time I shoot a Walther PPK) so it's good to have the basics on hand.

As an aside, I can't tell how many times I've lent out bandages and gunsmith tools at the range. What kind of person shows up without the ability to tighten a screw or bandage a cut?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 11:15:02 AM »
     At our local gun range, each target range has a post with a large sign and a weatherproofed trauma (gunshot) FAK mounted below. I keep a gunshot kit in my truck, along with an extensive FAK, heavy on trauma and crash related bleeding. We have a "Good Samaritan" law in my state that holds individuals harmless if they attempt to aid a "victim" with good faith, in a lifesaving capacity. For instance: if you pull a neck injured victim from a burning car you're not responsible for injuries incurred by your rescue attempt.

While it probably does not need to be said, trained medical professionals are usually exempt from Good-Sam laws.  So EMTs, surgeons, and first responders have a different set of legal rules.  Chances are if you work in one of those professions you already understand the details.  On the other hand those same folks usually have some legal obligation to attempt aid, whereas Joe Sixpack does not.  I'm not a lawyer and your laws may vary.  I just recall a bit of this from CERT training.

d3nni5

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 12:46:40 PM »
I have a FAK in the truck, with some decent supplies.   Nothing like what I have at home, but more than I'd carry in my BOB or in my range bag.

I got to thinking about this a couple weeks ago when I was out at the range, I had no Quikclot at all, not even in the truck.   So, when I saw the kit i posted above at the outdoor show, I snagged it....$25.

After getting it home, and doing some Amazon searches.....I think I can replicate the contents in a vacuum seal bag for about $16 or so.   I actually have a lot of this stuff in quantity already.

So, yea, if something really bad happens it is right there in arms reach to at least do something while we wait for the paramedics to arrive.    Ditto, here in WV about the Good Samaritan laws, if you are making an honest effort to help, you can't be held liable for anything.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 01:47:13 AM »
>

endurance

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 08:09:45 AM »
While it probably does not need to be said, trained medical professionals are usually exempt from Good-Sam laws.  So EMTs, surgeons, and first responders have a different set of legal rules.  Chances are if you work in one of those professions you already understand the details.  On the other hand those same folks usually have some legal obligation to attempt aid, whereas Joe Sixpack does not.  I'm not a lawyer and your laws may vary.  I just recall a bit of this from CERT training.
While your state might be different from mine, I've never found this to be true. As long as one does not perform skill outside their scope of practice, the coverage by Good Samaritan laws generally applies to both professionals and those who aren't professionally trained.

What gets grey is whether you can practice skills that would ordinarily be under your physician advisor when off duty or out of district. For instance, if a paramedic driving by an accident off duty witnesses and intervenes at an accident, they can perform basic skills, like splinting and bandaging without fear of liability, but if they were to start an IV or reduce a tension-pneumothorax, they may not retain the protections of the state's Good Samaritan laws. With that said, some departments will extend insurance coverage provided they stay within their scope of practice. 

Offline DDJ

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 10:20:41 AM »
Thanks for the post.  I have carried a trauma dressing in my Range bag for years and for Christmas got a dedicated First aid kit bag intended for the range bag.  I need to get that deployed now that the weather is breaking.

Anyone know of a good and inexpensive range bag with Pals straps.  I want to move the FAK to the outside of the bag making it easier to find.