Author Topic: Why does it seem as if...  (Read 9295 times)

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
Re: Why does it seem as if...
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2018, 01:59:11 PM »
     I don't know if getting to the super market before the panicked hordes would be considered raiding. We have enough of everything that if the lines were too long or violent, we'd just wait it out at home. If, on the other hand, I could max out a credit card (or some of my emergency cash) on filling up the pickup with extra supplies, I wouldn't consider that "raiding". My bigger worry is the exodus of folks from a nearby urban area to our relatively rural valley. I even wonder about most of the unprepared neighbors. Left to our own we would be fine for quite awhile.
     We all have seen how the thin veneer of civilization can quickly strip away with panic and hunger and the suffering of loved ones. The longer the event, the worse it gets. I believe that the "prepared" are going to be far outnumbered by the "raiders". There are many examples of good folks, banding together in an emergency, to do the courageous "right" thing for their fellows. However, in a true breakdown of society with no timetable for recovery, no enforcement of the law, and no apparent 'outside" aid or supplies, I believe that even normally good people will turn "feral". In a confrontation with raiders, you have to "take out" every one; they only have to take you out. Self defense is a good thing, but even the "good guys" can be killed.
     Those that have anything will be targeted by those who have nothing. In most cases, "bugging out" just makes you another refuge, on the road to nowhere, an easy target for the gangs of raiders and looters. In most cases, "living off of the land" is a pipe dream of armchair adventurers. Within a very short time, every source of natural food will be gathered or hunted to non-existence. All game and domestic animals will have gone into the stew pot. Every garden or farm will have been picked clean. Preceding this, of course, will be the total stripping of every supermarket, gas station, mall, freight train or semi-truck along with any other source of supply. Read up on the siege of Stalingrad during WWII.
      Could I become a looter under these circumstances; meaning scavenging for supplies in the burned out wreckage of civilization, without resorting to violence? You bet, if necessary. Could I become a "raider"; meaning taking supplies by any means including killing someone? I don't know. That's why we have prepared, to avoid being in such a situation. Still, think about watching your loved ones hunger or sicken or die. At what point might any of us surrender our humanity to survive. Food for thought.